Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #136
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I agree with every question you posed in your post. I also found it odd that two young girls under the age of ten would be answering a knock at 3 in the morning. I also thought it was weird that Wendy witnessed her sister being kidnapped, yet did not make any attempt to wake her parents, nor tell them about it the next morning. That makes me think she was coached somehow. Pure speculation here, but is it possible that someone from inside the house set up a "sale" for Anthonette? If this were an inside job anything could have really happened to her and this story of her abduction could have simply been made up from the fly.
Kinda like that movie "Man on Fire" where the father sets up the kidnapping so he can pay off his debts only for all hell to break loose with the ransom drop.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #137
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Just re-watched the segment for the first time in awhile, and I really don't know what to think happened. On the one hand people have theorized that something "accidental" happened that night and since Anthonette's mother was allegedly at a party when she disappeared, she was attempting to cover it all up by concocting the kidnapping. I find this very unlikely. For one, there is no evidence (other than a poster claiming it happened on this forum) that a party even occurred the night Anthonette disappeared/was kidnapped. Secondly, that would be one hell of an act for a mother to pull off all of these years, keeping up the facade of "looking" for your daughter when you knew full well what happened to her. Also, don't you think the investigators looking into the case (especially the FBI) would have uncovered something amiss with her story if it in fact was all a lie? All it would take would be one question, "Where were you at when your daughter was taken?" and her whole story would have unravelled.

The other theory is of course the one UM presented, with Anthonette being abducted by someone claiming to be her "Uncle Joe", and her sister witnessing the entire abduction. There are problems with this scenario as well. For one, her sister did not tell anyone about this for five whole years, and it wasn't until she was requestioned by investigators that she finally did reveal what she allegedly saw. Also, if she was witnessing her sister being taken away, she made absolutely no effort to seek help, and apparently went back to sleep and woke up the next morning pretending that nothing happened, and kept silent about it for years. Something that I don't think a small child would have done in that situation, especially if their sister was being abducted by strangers. The very least she could have done was screamed for help when it was happening. Her reasoning of not telling her mother because she was "crying and upset" doesn't make sense either, because when her mother woke up the next morning, she obviously wouldn't have known anything was amiss. She had the perfect time to tell her mother when she first woke up, yet she didn't do so. Even when her mother was frantically searching the house and neighborhood (probably in hysterics) she decided not to tell her mother. Which is why I personally think it was all made up by her sister. Not to mention the fact that her "abductor" would have no way of knowing that Anthonette would be the one to answer the door, while he was knocking at three in the morning! What would have happened if one of her other sisters answered, would they have been abducted instead? Or what if her mother answered the door, or no one answered at all? Doesn't seem very well thought out for a planned kidnapping if you ask me. This means the only account we have to go on about what happened to her is very unreliable, IMHO.

I personally don't believe the eyewitness sighting from the restaurant. For one, the waitress was basing her sighting off of a "computer aged composite" of what Anthonette may have looked like. And how many times did UM feature "witnesses" who swore they saw a missing person, or gave them a ride, only to have an update saying that they were dead at the time the person is alleged to have seen them? As to the 911 call, I personally think it was a sick joke. I can't remember if the call happened a year to the day Anthonette went missing, but if it did that surely makes it seem like a hoax. I know the mother was so sure that it was Anthonette on the phone, but again there were countless times on UM when a family member, who's holding out hope that their loved one is still alive, have misidentified people before. In the 911 call, the girl just kept repeating her name over and over, and it wasn't until the dispatcher asked where she was that she said, "Albuquerque". Seems like she'd be more frantic to give out details, but then again we don't know what the mindset of a kidnapped ten year old girl would be in that situation. I just think it's odd that the girl kept repeating, "THIS IS ANTHONETTE CAYEDITO" over and over again, instead of pleading for help. It just seems unlikely to me that a ten year old girl would be smart enough to know that her kidnapping gained much "notoriety" to the point that the dispatcher would recognize her by her name. Maybe it's just me, but I think it was a hoax.

In all honesty, I have no idea what happened to Anthonette, but I think all of us can agree that she's most likely dead. Hell, for all we know it could have been something accidental that happened between the sisters in the house, who hid the secret for years out of fear. Hopefully she'll be found (alive moreso), so maybe we'll get closer to knowing what actually happened to her.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:56 AM   #138
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular

I don't really buy the little girl's story either - it was more then likely a random kidnapping just not how she described it to be.
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #139
Steve W.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageSlowdive
I don't really buy the little girl's story either - it was more then likely a random kidnapping just not how she described it to be.
Or it was a made-up story altogether. If it really was a random kidnapping (ie stranger) and didn't go the way it was described by the sister, why would she even bother to make those details up ("it's your Uncle", etc.)?
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #140
JannTosh
Forum Regular

I'm starting to think the mother is involved. She set up the kidnapping for whatever reason. It may sound mean, but that's the main impression I get from this extremely weird kidnapping
JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #141
WishfulDreamer

I didn't get that impression from the mother, but I have to wonder if other family members were involved; the "Uncle Joe" story is extremely far-fetched though. At 5, I would have run and told my mother even if I was scared. It's just too weird.
WishfulDreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #142
everprincess
Frequent Poster

It's been along time since I've since his case but I have a 5 year old son. He tells everything to everyone. I just don't believe the story the kid told. Also how can a 5 year old kid tell a story 5 years later and be reliable? I just don't buy that she was kidnapped. I think something tragic happened that night and we may never know what happened to her.
everprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #143
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by everprincess
It's been along time since I've since his case but I have a 5 year old son. He tells everything to everyone. I just don't believe the story the kid told. Also how can a 5 year old kid tell a story 5 years later and be reliable? I just don't buy that she was kidnapped. I think something tragic happened that night and we may never know what happened to her.
Completely agree. I have a 3 yr old and once she gets to talking, she doesn't stop! I can imagine how a 5 yr old would be. I agree that something else may have happened accidentally and the whole kidnapping story was just a ruse.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #144
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I can't imagine any 5 year old child witnessing their sibling being abducted by strangers simply going back to sleep and not telling a soul about it for five whole years. The whole story is made up, IMO. Whether or not it was coached is up for debate, but I still think it was made up.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #145
Steve W.
Forum Regular

I'm kind of surprised that the sister's account of what happened is left out of the brief summary on the case on the official site: http://www.unsolved.com/missing.html

I read it to see if I could gather any kind of deception from the mother's quotes. I suppose if an accident happened that night and Anthonette died, they could have buried her in their backyard and no one probably searched there, since it refers to searchers looking for her in the foothills.

It's easy to write off the phone call as a possible hoax, but is the restaurant exchange with a girl and a waitress in a Carson City restuarant as easy to do? Or was it just a more elaborate hoax done by people who just get their jollies pranking people? Or was it actually Anthonette? Or was it actually some other girl that was being held against her will?
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #146
sugarbaby
Frequent Poster

I agree with all of you that it is a super long period of time that went by before the sister came forward with this information. However, does anyone remember in the Elizabeth Smart case, the little sister Mary-Beth came to her parents I think 6 months after she was missing and said that she knew who had kidnapped Elizabeth. And it was only then that the FBI had the name Emmanuel and a composite sketch to go by. Where I do realize that 6 months of silence is quite a bit different than 5 years of silence, both girls told their tales at the age of 10 years old. Just some thoughts....

I just REALLY want to know what happened in this particular case, the phone call, the sister, the waitress, whole scenario! I hope that this one would be resolved.
sugarbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #147
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbaby
I agree with all of you that it is a super long period of time that went by before the sister came forward with this information. However, does anyone remember in the Elizabeth Smart case, the little sister Mary-Beth came to her parents I think 6 months after she was missing and said that she knew who had kidnapped Elizabeth. And it was only then that the FBI had the name Emmanuel and a composite sketch to go by. Where I do realize that 6 months of silence is quite a bit different than 5 years of silence, both girls told their tales at the age of 10 years old. Just some thoughts....

I just REALLY want to know what happened in this particular case, the phone call, the sister, the waitress, whole scenario! I hope that this one would be resolved.
I agree with you on all points except in the Smart case, the sister didn't know the whole time, IIRC. I think she was trying to remember where she had heard that voice before and it took her a while to figure it out.
WishfulDreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #148
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbaby
The phone call is up in the air as to whether or not it was a hoax. At the time the segment was filmed, the authorities believed there was a possibility that Anthonette was still alive which would lead some credibility to the sighting by the waitress. We all know how unreliable eyewitnesses can be, and the waitress was basing her sighting off of what Anthonette may have looked like, so I tend to think that the restaurant sighting was someone else. It'd still interesting to find out who the girl at the restaurant was, and if she indeed was in trouble.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #149
Tao
Frequent Poster

I haven't read all ten pages of this thread yet, so I apologize if this has been mentioned. But didn't someone on here mention there had been a party that night? I didn't hear that in the UM segment or on the Charley website. Was this in an article or something? If it was indeed the case there was a party at the house that night, that raises more possibilities. Like, maybe after the party had ended some drunk dude tried to get back in, not caring who answered. And she knew him and went with him and something happened? Or he just decided to grab her on the spur of the moment.

As has been stated, the abduction scenario provided doesn't make much sense unless the person wasn't that concerned who would open the door (maybe he was a family member or friend and it wouldn't be that big a deal if one of the parents answered.) Or he somehow knew through pre-arrangement it would be one of the girls. Like he somehow arranged to meet Anthonette as someone suggested. But I think the former is more likely. He didn't have anything to fear if he got the wrong person at the door. Perhaps the abduction wasn't planned at all and he just grabbed her (or she came with him and the sister isn't remembering correctly).

I know that might seem far fetched but it seems really unlikely someone would just plan an abduction like that without knowing for sure who would answer at 3 am. Unless they had somehow pre-arranged to meet her.

Or providing there was a party, something different happened. Maybe there were lots of people in the house, drunk hangers on afterwards, etc. I think the party scenario makes the knock at the door at 3 am more plausible. If the poster was correct and there was a party.
Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #150
Tao
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc
Hey, thanks for the responses guys..... I don't know what you mean about me contradicting myself.. I did write that post late, and it wasn't worded very well. My point is, after watching the segment, I just wonder how the little girl was able to call her local town's emergency number from another part of the state. That's all.

So many questions, really.
Hmm. That's very interesting that she couldn't have just dialed 911. Makes it seem it would be a little harder for her to have made the call. The call does sound realistic but I don't think it would be very hard for an adult to convince a child to go along with a prank. Perhaps it was the kidnapper/killer trying to confuse the investigation. Seems a really odd thing to do but people do all sorts of things when they're paranoid.

I'm not sure how much we can trust the mother's account that it was Anthonette. That other mother in the Tara Calico case was just as adamant that it was her son in the photo and then he was found not far off from where he disappeared from the campsite - making it a huge stretch that it could have possibly been him in the photo.

I don't know. I'm also split on the phone call.

I don't think the mother did it. She seemed really sincere. Though it's possible she knows something she isn't telling.
Tao is offline   Reply With Quote