Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #46
Francium
Frequent Poster

Quote:
And even if Jeffery Digman was dissapointed with getting no results about turning officers in who were into drug usage, you really think thats enough to drive someone to suicide? I seriously doubt it.
Don't underestimate the cronyism in any type of military bureaucracy, especially one as political as military officers. If Digman was making a serious fuss about this and not just mentioning the drug testing failures without punishment in passing, it would guarantee that he would be stuck as a captain for the rest of his existence. His transfer to Puerto Rico was certainly no coincidence. It's a clear message of "Go away." Yeah, being a gung ho marine in light of such nonsense, from a guy with alcohol issues, could very well commit suicide over such a thing.

Quote:
Herein lies the the problem with so many of these "was it murder or suicide" type segments on UM. The family will swear up and down that their loved one wouldn't kill him/herself. Unfortunately, because the act is so irrational and personal, whose to say anyone isn't capable of committing suicide at any given moment?
Applying the rational thought process is silly. Family members can never know when one suffers from severe mental illness. After all, it's not as if the family is interacting with that person every day. For example, I speak with my mother much more often than most people do, but if something crazy happened, it's unlikely she would know of it if I didn't tell her about it outright. Digman's own mother did not know of the drug testing issues until she bumped into the issue herself. He didn't volunteer information.

Quote:
Why would the roommate be that alarmed by seeing his car in the driveway and the lights on? Granted, if the door was wide open or a window was broke, I could see getting help from a neighbor. But the only thing amiss was that Digman's car was still there when he was supposed to be on a flight. Why was his roommate's first reaction to seek out help? Wouldn't it make more sense to assume that Digman had simply fallen asleep or was running late? In a way, this lends credence to the murder theory because if his roommate (also in the army) knew he was going to be murdered that night it would explain why he felt the need to get a neighbor to check the house with him.
The simple answer is that military types are weird and don't think like civilians. The notion of being late for anything is fundamentally strange, and one is only late when something has gone awry.

I don't understand the fixation on his roommate. Getting a neighbor isn't that odd. He's a major in the USMC, not a grunt. Officers don't even talk with enlisted members. Their mentalities are totally different. Think of the difference between a manager and some low wage laborer. That's the distinction between officers and enlisted men. Officers wouldn't pull their guns out as a first reaction. Also, how would it have been advantageous for Digman to die? They both owned a house together. If Digman committed suicide, then it was selfish because the major had a risk of having his credit hurt. If he didn't commit suicide and the major had information on such circumstances, then it would have been disadvantageous for him for credit reasons.

Quote:
Bullet trajectories are unpredictable, and there is no one way that Jeffrey's body had to be positioned when he shot himself.
Yeah, his dad, an engineer ironically, is being silly. You can't predict the motion of things like that. Basic physics experiments always give different results in such a way that an average must be taken to extrapolate any meaning. There is no average to be taken here since one man is found dead next to a gun in a very controlled situation. But his father claiming he would have had to fallen off the bed had he shot himself is silly because that would not have had to happen necessarily. All sorts of things can go wrong in a suicide like that.

Quote:
If Digman was drinking heavily, would he really want to drive?
Drinking and driving wasn't nearly as stigmatized then as it is now. Concerning the rest of what you said, it seems to me like Digman was lying and there was never a driver. And if the driver did in fact kill Digman, the driver had to be someone on the inside because Digman's killing was simply put professionally done, if it was not a suicide. And what is the motive for murder at that point? Unless Digman was a threat to that position's career or position (which is unlikely since Digman was done with the USMC by this point as indicated by his transfer to Puerto Rico, which was punishment), no officer would have killed him in such a way. It's just not likely.

All in all, it's much more likely that Digman committed suicide.

That their parents hired Ted Gunderson (assuming it's the Ted Gunderson), that speaks for itself. Gunderson is a crank.
Francium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #47
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I think the reason why people think the roommate's actions were odd that night is because he had his girlfriend with him, and it was only 15 minutes after Digman's flight was supposed to depart. It wasn't like he was alone and saw a door ajar or something to alert him that there was a possible break in. He saw Digman's car in the driveway and the lights in the house were on. IMHO it is odd behavior to get a neighbor to come check out your own house (when there are no signs that anything is wrong other than your roommate still being home), but I also don't believe it was for any nefarious coverup reason. I just think the roommate either scared easily or knew Digman was depressed and/or suicidal and didn't want to discover his dead friend.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #48
MegtheEgg86

Just re-watched this one tonight and I don't think this has yet been put out: there is no such thing as a "drug testing unit" in any branch of the military--at least insomuch as drug testing being a unit's primary mission. Drug testing in the military is done by urinalysis, and all units conduct them. You will do them ALL the time. You can be ordered TO do one at any time. It's not anything major or special.

UM is notoriously bad about clearly explaining the actual duty positions of the service members it profiles, but it appears Jeffrey Digman was a company commander in some subordinate unit of Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego. Based on the segment's emphasis on "drug testing", he was likely assigned to a company in Support Battalion of the Recruit Training Regiment. Everyone's drug tested when they're received at basic training, and that's PART of what Jeffrey's unit did.

There is nothing to indicate Digman's move to Puerto Rico had anything to do with backlash about his supposedly making a stink at San Diego. It could have simply been his time to PCS. As well, his alleged despondent mood could be attributed to the fact that his transfer was literally thousands of miles away from his home (bear in mind he was never far from his parents while stationed at San Diego) and outside the United States. These moves are extremely tedious and can be very difficult for people used to seeing their families regularly.

While I concede that "politics" is sometimes a reality in the military, there is no definite that Digman would have been "punished" by complaining to someone about any apparent drug test failures--and I'm assuming what Digman specifically took issue with was allowing positive-test recruits to continue through basic training. I cannot imagine one captain in an entire battalion full of officers and NCOs being the ONLY one to have a problem with this, if that was indeed an accurate story. Especially in the Marine Corps.

Summed, I don't think Jeffrey Digman's death had anything to do with San Diego at all. There really isn't any evidence supporting that theory at all.

I would love to know MUCH more about this major he shared the house with, however. Some articles cite him as a "former supervisor" of Digman's.

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francium
The simple answer is that military types are weird and don't think like civilians.
Punctuality is weird?

Quote:
Officers don't even talk with enlisted members.
Officers talk with enlisted folks all the time.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:12 AM   #49
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
IMHO it is odd behavior to get a neighbor to come check out your own house (when there are no signs that anything is wrong other than your roommate still being home)
I agree. Officer, enlisted, civilian, or kangaroo--that's strange.

Unless, as you mentioned, Jeffrey's roommate had reason to believe he was suicidal. Even though I think this was a murder, I do think it's possible that could have explained his roommate's actions that evening.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #50
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I agree. Officer, enlisted, civilian, or kangaroo--that's strange.

Unless, as you mentioned, Jeffrey's roommate had reason to believe he was suicidal. Even though I think this was a murder, I do think it's possible that could have explained his roommate's actions that evening.
I think Digman downed one to many beers, was upset about the transfer, and killed himself. I'm glad you cleared up the confusion about the drug testing that Digman was supposedly in charge of. Makes the suicide sceanrio seem more likely.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #51
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I think Digman downed one to many beers, was upset about the transfer, and killed himself. I'm glad you cleared up the confusion about the drug testing that Digman was supposedly in charge of. Makes the suicide sceanrio seem more likely.
I too would totally agree with the suicide explanation--there is much to suggest possible indicators in his life at the time--if there weren't so many odd things about the scene, namely the position of Digman's body. If he were seated on the edge of his bed, he wouldn't have fallen neatly backward as the photograph showed. He would've fallen forward and ended up on the floor. The .44 pistol also would've been on the floor, but it was found next to Digman's body.

I also don't see any way that blood could've run straight down the side of his head if he shot and killed himself instantly.

I think someone arranged him on that bed.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #52
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I too would totally agree with the suicide explanation--there is much to suggest possible indicators in his life at the time--if there weren't so many odd things about the scene, namely the position of Digman's body. If he were seated on the edge of his bed, he wouldn't have fallen neatly backward as the photograph showed. He would've fallen forward and ended up on the floor. The .44 pistol also would've been on the floor, but it was found next to Digman's body.

I also don't see any way that blood could've run straight down the side of his head if he shot and killed himself instantly.

I think someone arranged him on that bed.
I guess it's possible that Digman's roommate actually went inside the house, found Digman, checked him and saw that he was dead before going back outside to get the neighbor to go in with him. That could explain why his body looks like it was neatly positioned. I know it's grasping at straws, but that would also explain the odd request of the roommate to go get a neighbor.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #53
Victoria81
Forum Regular

How many rounds were fired? He had gunshot residue on his hand, right? Do they think he was forced to shoot himself if not suicide?? I mean, did they explain away the residue? The neighbor not going in was odd to me as well.
Victoria81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #54
Hambone2421

I just watched this segment for the first time in quite a while. I came away from it thinking he probably killed himself but that there was certainly a question for murder.

My main question is why was his roommate so alarmed by Jeffrey's car being parked at home when he was supposed to have been on a flight that left shortly before then? I assume he figured Jeffrey would have parked his car at the airport, but what if he had gotten a ride or called a cab? I find it very odd that his roommate was so troubled by this, that he goes to a neighbors house to help him in searching the home. Maybe he knew Jeffrey was suicidal, but if that's the case, wouldn't he have told Jeffrey's parents after they found his body or at the very least, while they were petitioning everyone and their mother to investigate this as a murder?

Ultimately, I feel like his roommate probably found his body and panicked as he didn't want to be the one who found the body and asked a neighbor to help him look through the house. There just isn't anything suspicious about someone's car being parked in the driveway when you aren't expecting it there, to warrant being freaked out about searching the house.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:06 AM   #55
everybodylovesrs
Forum Regular

The obvious standout fact on this is the Marine who is supposed to be a tough guy (he's a Marine!), had to call a neighbor to go look at the house. And the neighbor is the one he lets find the body.
everybodylovesrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #56
Tighthead
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybodylovesrs
The obvious standout fact on this is the Marine who is supposed to be a tough guy (he's a Marine!), had to call a neighbor to go look at the house. And the neighbor is the one he lets find the body.
I've always thought that the roommate had likely already gone in and saw Digman dead, and then played dumb and got a neighbour so there would be a second witness. I don't see him as a suspect.

Mr. Digman's hairpiece is worthy of its own thread.
Tighthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #57
justins5256

Maybe I'm just an oddball, but I never found the roommate's actions that suspicious. On the segment, it is indicated that Digmin was supposed to leave for Puerto Rico. This wasn't a pleasure trip, but an assignment. By the time the roommate and his girlfriend arrived home, Digmin's flight was supposed to have already departed. In addition, Stack mentions that the garage was open, lights were on, and so forth.

My point is the friend gets home with a few basic expectations. First, that Digmin SHOULD be gone because he was supposed to leave on an assignment. The roommate being in the military himself, he likely knew how serious orders are and also how out of character it would be for Digmin not to follow them. Extrapolating from that, his vehicle should not have been there. The house probably should have been closed up, lights off, etc. as it wouldn't have made sense for Digmin not to have done those things if he was leaving for an extended period of time.

With that context in mind, everything that the roommate came home to was unexpected and was in the opposite direction of what he probably thought he was going to see upon his arrival.

With all that in mind, I don't see his actions as unreasonable. Not only that, but the segment mentions his girlfriend was with him. Maybe she was alarmed and she suggested he get the neighbor. Had the guy been alone, he might have felt better about going in, but if he does walk into something unexpected that he can't control (such as multiple intruders or someone with a weapon for example) then he's putting himself and also his girlfriend at risk.

Overall, I just feel the guy was being cautious given the unexpected things he saw at the house, is all.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #58
everybodylovesrs
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
Maybe I'm just an oddball, but I never found the roommate's actions that suspicious. On the segment, it is indicated that Digmin was supposed to leave for Puerto Rico. This wasn't a pleasure trip, but an assignment. By the time the roommate and his girlfriend arrived home, Digmin's flight was supposed to have already departed. In addition, Stack mentions that the garage was open, lights were on, and so forth.
Why involve an unarmed civilian from across the street and bring him into the house? Why not immediately call the police if he knew something was wrong?
everybodylovesrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #59
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybodylovesrs
Why involve an unarmed civilian from across the street and bring him into the house? Why not immediately call the police if he knew something was wrong?
YES! ^^^ This x 100!

His roommate was home, but maybe his flight got cancelled, maybe he got sick, whatever. Him just being home isn't that suspicious. The lights were on and the garage door was open. If the door was slightly ajar with the lights out, or if he saw multiple people he didn't recognize, you might have a reason to worry. Nothing about that scene should have caused the major enough concern to get other people.

However, the guy was a major in the Marine Corps. If he was that concerned, why not call the police? The only thing an older neighbor could do is be an alibi for when the body was discovered.

For the record, I'm not saying the major had anything to do with it but his behavior is very odd, especially for a grown man in the military.

If it's true that he was shot in the right temple but he was left handed, that is also extremely odd. I tend to think this probably was a suicide yet not everything adds up.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #60
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

My only thoughts about the roommates actions not being suspicious would be if he knew or thought that Digman was or could be suicidal. Then his actions make sense.