Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Good Times links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Good Times Photo Gallery

Good Times - The Complete First Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete First Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Second Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Third Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Series

Buy Good Times - The Complete Series on DVD
Good Times - Season One (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - Season One (Mill Creek) on DVD
Good Times - Season Two (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - Season Two (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Good Times

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-19-2004, 10:23 AM   #1
knl9674
Frequent Poster

Default Why I dislike Jimmie Walker

Been a fan of this show for as long as I can remember. Can even say some episodes word for word (truly sad). So you can imagine how thrilled I was a couple of years ago when he was performing standup at a local comedy club. His standup rountines were supposedly so funny and raunchy before he was asked to join the cast so I had high expectations. The show was good, he had me cracking up. After the show, you had an opportunity to meet and greet and I was of course, THRILLED. I even bought one of his crappy t-shirts he was selling and had him sign it.

When it came time for me to meet him, I started by telling him what a great show he had and that I'm a die hard fan of the show. This dude cuts me off and says, "My condolences". I was like, "What?" Then he basically moved me along in the line of 2 other people that wanted to meet him.

I was so let down. Was being on the show not a good experience for him? I didn't get what that meant. It made him a star. What gives?

I watch him now while he mouths the words while the other actors are saying them. It's very subtle but you can catch it a lot. Watch the one with "Sex and the Evans Family". He does it like 4x when he's talking with James. So he wasn't that great.
knl9674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:35 PM   #2
Lady T
Forum Veteran

Default Re: Why I dislike Jimmie Walker

Quote:
Originally posted by knl9674
Been a fan of this show for as long as I can remember. Can even say some episodes word for word (truly sad). So you can imagine how thrilled I was a couple of years ago when he was performing standup at a local comedy club. His standup rountines were supposedly so funny and raunchy before he was asked to join the cast so I had high expectations. The show was good, he had me cracking up. After the show, you had an opportunity to meet and greet and I was of course, THRILLED. I even bought one of his crappy t-shirts he was selling and had him sign it.

When it came time for me to meet him, I started by telling him what a great show he had and that I'm a die hard fan of the show. This dude cuts me off and says, "My condolences". I was like, "What?" Then he basically moved me along in the line of 2 other people that wanted to meet him.

I was so let down. Was being on the show not a good experience for him? I didn't get what that meant. It made him a star. What gives?

I watch him now while he mouths the words while the other actors are saying them. It's very subtle but you can catch it a lot. Watch the one with "Sex and the Evans Family". He does it like 4x when he's talking with James. So he wasn't that great.
God that was terribly rude for Jimmie Walker to do that to a fan; I am truly sorry..and my Condolences for you ever being a fan of his...
Lady T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:14 PM   #3
CCRYDER1968
#1 Sitcom Fan
Forum Regular

My pet peeve is when an actor(or former band member) dis,the role or band that made them famous.You shouldn't bite the hand that fed you!Sometimes life and careers don't turn out like you wanted it to(I speak from personal experience)Just embrace the cards God gave you and play them well...roll with the punches and get over yourself!
Barry Williams and Danny Bonaduce are two good examples of,if you can't beat 'em,join 'em!Embrace your past and let it take yo u to the next place...

Rant over...sorry guys!

Last edited by CCRYDER1968; 08-19-2004 at 04:40 PM.
CCRYDER1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:33 PM   #4
knl9674
Frequent Poster

i totally hear you on that and your examples were right on point. You couldn't pay Barry Williams to stop talking about Gregg Brady and he is cashing on his childhood every second he gets. These celebrities KNOW what made them famous and how they will be remembered...UNLESS, they take some real challenging role that completely flips the persona. JW will always been known as JJ and it was up to him to break out of that mold if he wanted to go on with his career.

Reminds me of when I saw Mrs Garrett from the Facts of Life on the airplane sitting in first class, shades on and too obviously reading a supposed script (HA!). I said, "excuse me?" She says, "Uh, no autographs at this time. I'm trying to relax." Knowing full well who she was, I say in my snootiest tone, "Uh, I just need to get in my seat. I'm by the window."

You could've bought her expression for 2 cents.

Hurry up and get over yourself.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
CCRYDER1968
#1 Sitcom Fan
Forum Regular

Good for you!!!
CCRYDER1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:27 AM   #6
laneyday
Forum Regular

Quote:
i totally hear you on that and your examples were right on point. You couldn't pay Barry Williams to stop talking about Gregg Brady and he is cashing on his childhood every second he gets. These celebrities KNOW what made them famous and how they will be remembered...UNLESS, they take some real challenging role that completely flips the persona. JW will always been known as JJ and it was up to him to break out of that mold if he wanted to go on with his career.

Reminds me of when I saw Mrs Garrett from the Facts of Life on the airplane sitting in first class, shades on and too obviously reading a supposed script (HA!). I said, "excuse me?" She says, "Uh, no autographs at this time. I'm trying to relax." Knowing full well who she was, I say in my snootiest tone, "Uh, I just need to get in my seat. I'm by the window."

You could've bought her expression for 2 cents.

Hurry up and get over yourself.

That was totally unkind of the both of them. If you decide to become a celebrity you have to take the full package. If they didn't want to sign autographs or be kindly harrassed by the public, they should have chosen to be a cashier or gas attendant. I never really liked Jimmy Walker from the get-go anyway.
laneyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:07 AM   #7
snl fan
Frequent Poster

i agree 100 percent with you on that the 2 i have a problem with are singer tom t hall and alan alda every magazine artcile you read about them they whine and moan about how fans make it tough it is for them and how we would understand more if we were in there shoes to me thats garbage it boils to being polite even divid letterman says you can be polite for 5 miniutes to someone its not that hard
snl fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:35 AM   #8
snl fan
Frequent Poster

i ment david letterman sorry
snl fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:43 AM   #9
double-t
Frequent Poster

Well, it doesn't suprise me then that Jimmie Walker didn't go to Esther Rolle's funeral.

He seems to have some hang-ups about the show, but he has to realize that this is what got him where he is today.

Now that I watch the Good Times episodes on DVD today, J.J. starts to annoy me sometimes.

I never had that opinion of him before until now. I guess because I've gotten older.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:14 PM   #10
laneyday
Forum Regular

Default Re: Why I dislike Jimmie Walker

Quote:

knl9674, prior to meeting Jimmie, did you imagine him to be a really nice person. Considering his character JJ he seemed like he would have been a really easy going dude. Those were my thoughts anyway. I mean talk about night and day.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:42 AM   #11
knl9674
Frequent Poster

honestly, i didn't have any preconcieved notions or even expectations. i heard that in the 70s, he was a complete ego-maniac and arrogant as ever. but was soon humbled after the show ended b/c the work was not coming. he had created a character larger than himself and now couldn't break out of it.

Think Kramer from Seinfeld - will he ever work again?

so he started back with the touring standup gigs but that was pretty much it. i thought he would be laid back - no doubt. i mean, he was lucky that the comedy club was 1/2 full so you would think he would be appreciative of someone actually paying his tired butt a compliment. not to mention, paying for a ticket to see him.

i have to say he has great comedic timing and discussed a lot of politics and social issues. it wasn't the bafoonery associated with JJ and i think that put a few people off. they were expecting to see JJ revived in full color. but i knew what his comedy routines were like prior to joining the show...he's always been very socially active and opinionated.

i'm still thankful i got a vintage dynomite shirt signed and another shirt too. just wish he woulda been a bit more pleasant.

you know?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:09 AM   #12
laneyday
Forum Regular

I hear ya.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:18 AM   #13
Moonlight Lady
Forum Veteran

I watched an episode of Jenny Jones where she did a show of some of the 70's shows. Good Times, What's Happening and Welcome Back Kotter, there were a couple others shows there too.

They did some Q&A thing and somebody asked Jimmie Walker if he'd say Dy-no-mite! What does he say?

"They don't pay me enough to say that".

I liked JW up until that remark.

Somebody asked Palillo do to his trademark Horshack laugh and he did it, without an attitude.

Moonlight Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:23 AM   #14
PracTz

Quote:
Originally posted by Katie
I watched an episode of Jenny Jones where she did a show of some of the 70's shows. Good Times, What's Happening and Welcome Back Kotter, there were a couple others shows there too.

They did some Q&A thing and somebody asked Jimmie Walker if he'd say Dy-no-mite! What does he say?

"They don't pay me enough to say that".

I liked JW up until that remark.

Somebody asked Palillo do to his trademark Horshack laugh and he did it, without an attitude.

I liked both of 'em until you told me they went on 'Jenny Jones'!
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:46 PM   #15
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Thumbs down

Jimmie Walker always struck me as someone who would be "difficult" when it comes to fans. That's too bad, because if it wasn't for the fans, these people wouldn't be who they are. If fans are polite, why do these stars have to cop an attitude?? Bern Nadette Stanis, on the other hand, seems like such a sweetheart. I've seen her in several interviews, and I am always hearing about her signing autographs. She just seems like a doll.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote