Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

All Other TV Shows Photo Gallery / Sketch Comedy/Variety/Talk Shows/Late Night TV Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > All Other TV Shows

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess
COZI TV's Thanksgiving Weekend Unexpected Guests Marathon; MeTV Salutes Veteran's Day with M*A*S*H
Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All in the Family & Good Times on Dec. 18; NBC Orders More Superstore Episodes
ABC 2019 Holiday Specials and Episodes; E! Sets Date for Reality Sitcom

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Ex-NBC News staffer responsible for Matt Lauer's firing alleges that he raped her

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/mat...ll-1203364485/

Brooke Nevils, the anonymous former NBC News employee whose sexual misconduct complaint led to Lauer's firing two years ago, alleges in Ronan Farrow's new book Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators that Lauer anally raped her in his hotel room at the 2014 Sochi Olympics. That's according to Variety, which obtained a copy of the book before its release next Tuesday. Nevils was working closely with Meredith Vieira at the Sochi Olympics. On the night of the alleged rape, Nevils says she drank six shots of vodka with Vieira and Lauer at a hotel bar. Per Variety, Nevils says she ended up going to Lauer’s hotel room twice — once to retrieve her press credential, which Lauer had taken as a joke, and the second time because he invited her back. Nevils, Farrow writes, "had no reason to suspect Lauer would be anything but friendly based on prior experience." Nevils goes into graphic detail about the alleged rape. “It was nonconsensual in the sense that I was too drunk to consent,” she says. “It was nonconsensual in that I said, multiple times, that I didn’t want to have anal sex.” Back in New York City, Nevils says she had more sexual encounters with Lauer. "What is not in dispute is that Nevils, like several of the women I’d spoken to, had further sexual encounters with the man she said assaulted her," Farrow writes. "This is what I blame myself most for," she tells Farrow. “It was completely transactional. It was not a relationship.” Farrow writes that Nevils was terrified about the control Lauer had over her career. After Lauer's firing, she says that NBC News bosses emphasized that the alleged Sochi incident hadn't been "criminal" or an "assault." She was also promised anonymity, but soon everybody found out it was her and she found working at NBC News to be "torture." Nevils took a medical leave in 2018 and exited NBC News with a settlement worth "seven figures." According to Farrow, NBC "proposed a script she would have to read, suggesting that she had left to pursue other endeavors, that she was treated well, and that NBC News was a positive example of sexual harassment." NBC News declined to comment to Variety on Farrow's book, while Lauer didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Ronan Farrow thinks Harvey Weinstein may have leveraged Matt Lauer sexual misconduct allegation to kill his exposé

Farrow alleges his new book Catch and Kill that Weinstein bullied NBC News into suppressing his investigation into the disgraced Hollywood mogul my leveraging knowledge about Lauer's sexual misconduct. "Weinstein made it known to the network that he was aware of Lauer's behavior and capable of revealing it," Farrow writes. Farrow adds that Weinstein cited dirt on Lauer accumulated by the National Enquirer and its then-owner AMI. NBC News responded to the allegation in a statement saying: "NBC News was never contacted by AMI, or made aware in any way of any threats from them, or from anyone else, for that matter. And the idea of NBC News taking a threat seriously from a tabloid company about Matt Lauer is especially preposterous, since they already covered him with great regularity." ALSO: Farrow received a congratulatory text from Lauer after his Weinstein New York exposé ran: "Ronan, it’s Matt Lauer. Let me be the 567th person to say congratulations on an amazing piece!"

NBC News responds to Matt Lauer rape allegation: "That’s why he was fired within 24 hours of us first learning of the complaint"

"Matt Lauer’s conduct was appalling, horrific and reprehensible, as we said at the time,” NBC News said in a statement Wednesday. “That’s why he was fired within 24 hours of us first learning of the complaint. Our hearts break again for our colleague.”

Matt Lauer denies "false and salacious" rape allegation, says affair with ex-NBC News colleague was "consensual"

In a lengthy letter, Lauer responded to former NBC News staffer Brooke Nevils' allegation in Ronan Farrow's new book Catch and Kill that he raped her in a Sochi Olympics hotel room, saying: “For two years, the women with whom I had extramarital relationships have abandoned shared responsibility, and instead, shielded themselves from blame behind false allegations. And I will no longer provide them the shelter of my silence.” He adds: "My silence has been a mistake. Today, nearly two years after I was fired by NBC, old stories are being recycled, titillating details are being added, and a dangerous and defamatory new allegation is being made. All are being spread as part of a promotional effort to sell a book. It’s outrageous. So, after not speaking out to protect my children, it is now with their full support I say 'enough.' In a new book, it is alleged that an extramarital, but consensual, sexual encounter I have previously admitted having, was in fact an assault. It is categorically false, ignores the facts, and defies common sense." Lauer went on to describe their alleged sex acts, saying "each act was mutual and completely consensual. The story Brooke tells is filled with false details intended only to create the impression this was an abusive encounter. Nothing could be further from the truth. There was absolutely nothing aggressive about that encounter. Brooke did not do or say anything to object. She certainly did not cry. She was a fully enthusiastic and willing partner. At no time did she behave in a way that made it appear she was incapable of consent. She seemed to know exactly what she wanted to do. The only concern she expressed was that someone might see her leaving my room. She embraced me at the door as she left."

Savannah Guthrie on Today: "We are disburbed to our core" over Matt Lauer rape allegations

Guthrie and Hoda Kotb addressed viewers directly on Today this morning in response to their ex-NBC News colleague Brooke Nevils' allegation in Ronan Farrow's new book Catch and Kill that Lauer raped her in a hotel room at the Sochi Olympics, as reported overnight by Variety. “I feel like we owe it to our viewers to pause for a moment,” said Guthrie. “This is shocking and appalling, and I honestly don’t even know what to say about it. I want to say that I know it wasn’t easy for our colleague Brooke to come forward then. It’s not easy now. And we support her and any women who come forward with claims. It’s just very painful for all of us at NBC and at the Today show, and it’s very, very difficult.” Kotb said she was having a flashback to two years ago when they sat together and revealed to viewers that Lauer had been fired. As Kotb emphasized, Nevils' was alleging that Lauer committed a crime. "That’s shocking to all of us who have sat with Matt for many, many years," she said.

NBC News boss: There was no Matt Lauer cover-up -- Ronan Farrow's book paints "a fundamentally untrue picture"

Farrow's new book Catch and Kill makes a case that NBC News and its practices around harassment complaints and settlements were part of a broader culture of cover-up and protection for wealthy and powerful predators. It also details alleged conversations NBC News chairman Andy Lack had with Harvey Weinstein. In a memo to NBC News staff, Lack pushed back at Farrow's suggestion that Weinstein killed Farrow's NBC News reporting on him by threatening to expose Lauer's sexual misconduct. Lack again insisted he first learned of Lauer's sexual misconduct within 24 hours before the former Today co-anchor was fired in November 2017. "As you know, our news organization is filled with dedicated, professional journalists, including some of the best and most experienced investigative reporters, as well as others who support our reporting with exceptional talent, integrity and decency," Lack wrote to NBC News colleagues on Wednesday afternoon in a memo obtained by The Hollywood Reporter. "It disappoints me to say that even with passage of time, Farrow’s account has become neither more accurate, nor more respectful of the dedicated colleagues he worked with here at NBC News. He uses a variety of tactics to paint a fundamentally untrue picture."

Ann Curry says she believes Matt Lauer's accuser: "And that breaks my heart"

Curry worked on Today with Brooke Nevils, who began her NBC News career as a Today page and, by 2009, was Meredith Vieira‘s personal assistant. "Brooke Nevils is a credible young woman of good character," tweeted Curry. "She came to NBC News an eager and guileless 20-something, brimming with talent." Curry added of Nevils' rape allegation: "I believe she is telling the truth. And that breaks my heart."

Matt Lauer's response to rape allegation makes him out to be the real victim -- and his accuser the perpetrator

In his lengthy attempt at defense in response to former NBC News staffer Brooke Nevils' accusation of rape, "Lauer predictably assails his accuser’s character while casting himself as patriarchal protector, besieged family man, and loving but imperfect dad," says Tracy Clark-Flory. "He begins his letter by explaining why he has not, until now, 'more vigorously' defended himself. Lauer writes, 'I wanted nothing less than to create more headlines my kids would read and a new gathering of photographers at the end of our driveway.' This, says Lauer, is why he decided to stay quiet 'and work on repairing my relationship with the people I love,' which he describes as 'the most important full-time job I have ever had.' But now, following the revelations in (Ronan) Farrow’s book, Lauer writes that 'after not speaking out to protect my children, it is now with their full support I say ‘enough.’ Enough, says Dad. Enough. Now, Lauer writes, he must defend his family—from the headlines, the photographers, and the woman accusing him of rape. This act of 'defense' looks more like an offense: Defending his family means turning victim into perpetrator. Lauer’s family is what gives him permission. Immediately, Lauer’s letter implies nefarious intent on Nevils’ part, writing that her story 'is filled with false details intended only to create the impression this was an abusive encounter.' ... He proceeds to portray her as the spurned lover, the rejected woman—favorite tropes of MeToo critics—seeming to imply that her accusations were triggered after he suddenly cut off the 'affair.' ... With the dirty work of villainizing his accuser done, Lauer returns to painting a portrait of himself as the flawed but loving patriarch."

ALSO:

Matt Lauer accuser Brooke Nevils releases a new statement slamming his "victim blaming": "The shame in his story belongs to him"

Brooke Nevils followed up the statement she released last night with a new statement this morning to Variety responding to Lauer's Wednesday morning letter: "I knew what kind of person Matt Lauer was when I made the decision to report him to NBC in November 2017, and I knew what kind of a person he was when I made the decision to tell my story to Ronan Farrow," she writes. "In both of those cases, I asked that my allegations be thoroughly investigated, and that Matt be given the opportunity to defend himself," I provided dates, times, evidence of communications, and corroborating accounts. Both NBC and Farrow found me credible. As his open letter clearly reveals, there may be more than one Matt Lauer. There’s the Matt Lauer that millions of Americans watched on TV every morning for two decades, and there is the Matt Lauer who this morning attempted to bully a former colleague into silence. His open letter was a case study in victim blaming and concluded by threatening any other woman who might dare to speak out against him. This is the Matt Lauer, then the most powerful asset at NBC News, who I feared when I continued to engage with him, as many victims of acquaintance rape do, particularly in the workplace. This is the Matt Lauer I reported in November 2017. I was not afraid of him then, and I am not afraid of him now, regardless of his threats, bullying, and the shaming and predatory tactics I knew he would (and now has) tried to use against me. The shame in this story belongs to him.” ALSO: Nevils tweets appreciation to her supporters.

NBC News president confronted by staffers over Matt Lauer rape allegation

NBC News president Noah Oppenheim today "faced tough questions from the network’s veteran journalists, many of whom demanded further details on how network brass handled allegations against Lauer, as well as Oppenheim’s relationship with disgraced movie executive Harvey Weinstein," reports The Daily Beast's Maxwell Trani on the aftermath of Ronan Farrow's Catch and Kill book excerpt revealing ex-NBC News staffer Brooke Nevils' rape allegation. "According to multiple employees present on the call, staffers demanded specific answers about when management knew about the Lauer misconduct claims, and confronted Oppenheim on why NBC decided against hiring an outside investigator. One employee declared to the boss that 'we deserve answers from you.'" Staffers specifically wanted to know if Nevils had informed the network that Lauer raped her when she initially filed her complaint. When Lauer was fired, NBC News said Lauer had "engaged in inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace” that was “a clear violation of our company’s standards.” One staffer wanted to know if Nevils specifically used the word "assault" when she reported her affair with Lauer. Oppenheim declined to answer, citing the "person's confidentiality." That prompted NBC News' highly respected justice correspondent Pete Williams to specifically ask about the "confidentiality" response. Oppenheim said NBC News' statement on Lauer's firing used words that “were carefully chosen to characterize it exactly the same way that her attorney was characterizing it. That confidentiality is not something that I am ever going to breach, not only for her sake. The whole point of that is so she can tell her story whenever, however she chooses to and she is doing so now, I think that is appropriate.” Trani also reports Oppenheim attempted to distance himself from Weinstein after Farrow revealed a friendly email exchange between them. "The NBC News president assured staff that he did not have a close relationship with Weinstein, and had only met him once," reports Trani. "As an example, Oppenheim pointed out that he gave a bottle of Grey Goose vodka gifted to him by Weinstein to his assistant, and noted that Weinstein didn’t seem to know that the NBC News president doesn’t drink."

ALSO:

NBC News president Noah Oppenheim railed against sexual assault accusers and mocked feminists when he was a student at Harvard

Copies of Oppenheim's Harvard Crimson columns from the late 1990s have been circulating in the NBC News newsroom, according to The Daily Beast. In one column, Oppenheim attacked NBC's decision to fire Marv Albert in 1997 after the sportscaster pleaded guilty in sexual assault case. “The trial was a sham and that the network’s action was an injustice,” Oppenheim wrote in the October 1997 column. He lamented how Albert’s accuser, Vanessa Perhach, was “permitted to remain shielded in anonymity” while Albert’s sex life faced public probing. As The Daily Beast notes, Perhach accused the sportscaster of throwing her on a hotel bed, biting her, and forcing her to perform oral sex on him. “It is certainly a noble goal to protect the victims of sexual assault from mistreatment in the courtroom,” Oppenheim wrote, “but why should Marv’s past conduct have been subject to the closest scrutiny, while Perhach’s character history have remained off-limits?” Oppenheim joined NBC News in 2000, rising up the ranks until he was named NBC News president in 2017.

Ronan Farrow alleges NBC News had "multiple" non-disclosure agreements with Matt Lauer accusers

“There were seven non-disclosure agreements, multiple ones of those were with Matt Lauer accusers. This is years before this incident with Brooke Nevils,” Farrow told George Stephanopoulos on Good Morning America this morning. Farrow said the secret settlements and non-disclosure agreements were signed over a period of seven years. NBC News responded to the interview, repeating what NBC News chairman Andy Lack has said: “The first time we learned about Matt Lauer’s sexual misconduct in the workplace was the night of November 27, 2017 and he was fired in 24 hours. Any suggestion that we knew prior to that evening, paid any ‘hush money,’ or tried to cover up any aspect of Lauer’s appalling behavior is absolutely false." ALSO: Farrow says Nevils clearly desdcribed rape or sexual assault to NBC bosses.

Ronan Farrow's producer: NBC News bosses behaved like members of Harvey Weinstein's PR team in killing sexual harassment story

Rich McHugh, who worked closely with Farrow on his NBC News Weinstein sexual misconduct investigation, describes in detail all the ways that NBC News chairman Andy Lack and NBC News president Noah Oppenheim allegedly bowed to pressure from Weinstein in trying to quash the sexual misconduct story. Not only did they kill the Weinstein story before it broke, they also allegedly made sure to downplay it when the story broke. "They had not only killed our investigation—they continued to bury our reporting, even after it became a national news story," he writes in Vanity Fair. "An NBC anchor asked me to do an interview for the Today show—but rescinded the invitation after Oppenheim vetoed the idea. When she asked him why, he replied, 'It’s complicated.'" McHugh, who left NBC News in August of last year, writes: "As I witnessed firsthand during the year I spent at NBC News after Ronan published our reporting in the New Yorker—and as Ronan has further documented in his forthcoming book, Catch and Kill—Lack and Oppenheim were the ones who were lying. They not only personally intervened to shut down our investigation of Weinstein, they even refused to allow me to follow up on our work after Weinstein’s history of sexual assault became front-page news. As the record shows, they behaved more like members of Weinstein’s PR team than the journalists they claim to be. Thanks to them, a leading national news organization, in broad daylight and with zero remorse, abdicated its single greatest responsibility—to relentlessly pursue and tell the truth." McHugh also suspects his phone was hacked by Weinstein's people. But, he adds, "what I faced from my bosses at NBC, though, felt worse than being spied on by Weinstein’s paid thugs. As a reporter, you expect the powerful people you’re investigating to play rough. What’s harder to experience is the stress and anxiety of being attacked from the inside, by the people who are supposed to have your back."

Ronan Farrow's book depicts a horrific NBC News power structure

In Catch and Kill, Farrow recounts turning to the esteemed Tom Brokaw for advice on dealing with NBC News bosses trying to stonewall his Harvey Weinstein investigation. "I have to disclose, Ronan,” Brokaw tells him, “that Harvey Weinstein is a friend.” It turns out that Farrow's book shows how the powerful men at the top of NBC News -- from NBC News chairman Andy Lack to NBC News president Noah Oppenheim to MSNBC president Phil Griffin -- have something in common: "They’re all friends, it feels, as you read this frightening volume, and it seems as though they all have bad histories with women, sex, and power, patterns they seem to have cultivated within the institutions that made them powerful and brought them together to begin with," says Rebecca Traister, adding: "Around every airless corner is another troubling figure — most of them powerful men, some women, some merely weak lackeys, others double agents, all of them working in tandem to protect their power and each other." Traister points out that two years after #MeToo, there are still networks of powerful people in charge of telling the story of power and politics in America. "Yes, as Farrow points out, NBC is also filled with great, hard-working, ethical journalists, the vast majority of whom have never made jovial cracks about slipping presidential candidates rape pills," she says. "But the people who are in charge, at the top, actually shaping the coverage and thus the American understanding of the world, are the ones who went to strip clubs and late-night Harvard parties together, who followed undergraduate girls, who patted each other on the back as they got awards and covered up each other’s affairs and harassment and assault of junior co-workers: These are the guys who run one of the nation’s news networks."

ALSO:
  • Why Matt Lauer's "consensual sex" defense is flawed: "To those who were swayed by Lauer’s protestations of innocence: Think about how rare it is for a rapist to say 'I raped someone,'" says Monica Hesse. "Or, think about this: Think about how it could have been possible for Lauer to genuinely believe that he, one of the most powerful big shots at NBC, was simply initiating spontaneous sex, while on a work trip, with a drunk junior colleague, who by her own account had consumed six shots of vodka at the bar with Lauer and others. And think about how — even if you don’t believe her claims of being raped — that was still a very, very bad idea on his part. A fireable offense, even. I’m not saying that Lauer and Nevils’s interactions were simple....It’s messy. It’s unbelievably messy, as these situations often are. None of us will ever know with 100 percent certainty what happened in that hotel room. But by crying 'consensual sex,' Matt Lauer is asking us to make it simple again. He’s telling us: Don’t have difficult conversations about consent or workplace power imbalances or victim psychology or the horrible moment when one person has simply given up on saying 'no,' so the other person assumes it’s now a 'yes.' He’s saying, let’s just have a conversation about vindictive women and victimized men. She wanted it all — blame her."
    Lauer's right to defend himself is an important part of #MeToo: "Matt Lauer is speaking out in his own defense, something that many men have been too afraid to do for fear of being called sexist or misogynistic or other, more indelicate terms that have entered the lexicon thanks to a certain occupant of the White House," says Christine M. Flowers, adding: "We have to find that middle point between the two pendulum extremes of 'excusing all men' and 'believing all women.'”

NBC News denies paying out settlements to past Matt Lauer accusers, calls Ronan Farrow's book a "smear" and "conspiracy theory"

"Now that we’ve read Farrow’s book, it’s clear — his smear rests on the allegation that NBC’s management knew about and took steps to hide Matt Lauer’s misconduct before his firing in November of 2017," NBC News president Noah Oppenheim wrote in a staff memo today, one day before Catch and Kill's publication. "Without that, he has no basis on which to rest his second conspiracy theory — that his Harvey Weinstein reporting was squashed to protect Lauer. Not only is this false, the so-called evidence Farrow uses in his book to support the charge collapses under the slightest scrutiny.” Oppenheim adds: "Matt Lauer's actions were abhorrent, and the anger and sadness he caused continue to this day. As we've said since the moment he was fired, his abuses should never have happened. Ronan Farrow's book takes that undeniable fact and twists it into a lie — alleging we were a 'company with a lot of secrets.' We have no secrets and nothing to hide."

ALSO:

Matt Lauer allegedly propositioned and exposed himself to Today's former entertainment booker, Ann Curry tells Ronan Farrow

Farrow's Catch and Kill book alleges that former Today entertainment booker Melissa Lonner is one of seven women who signed non-disclosure agreements with NBC years before Lauer was fired for sexual misconduct. Farrow discovered her identity after meeting with Ann Curry. Farrow writes in his book that Curry "told me that complaints about Lauer verbally harassing women in the office were well known in her day — and that once, in 2010, a colleague had pulled her into an empty office and broken down, saying Lauer had exposed himself and propositioned her." Lonner never reported the alleged encounter to her bosses, but did tell Curry, who reported it to two NBC executives whom she declined to name. Lonner was fired in 2013 but later signed a non-disclosure agreement that prevents her from talking. The network disputed that her payout was related to the Lauer incident.

ALSO:

MSNBC's Chris Hayes backs Ronan Farrow, breaking with his NBC News bosses

The All In host spoke about Farrow, his new book Catch and Kill and his exit from NBC News and MSNBC in 2017, saying “in fact, the insidious destructive force of the path of least resistance is everywhere you look. Heck, I feel the tug of it myself as my own news organization is embroiled in a very public controversy over its conduct.” He added: “One thing, though, is indisputable. Ronan Farrow walked out of NBC News while working on the Weinstein story and, within two months, published an incredible article at The New Yorker that not only won a Pulitzer but helped trigger a massive social and cultural reckoning that continues to this day.”

Time's Up calls for NBC News to make "structural changes" in response to Matt Lauer rape allegation

“The latest allegations of sexual assault against Matt Lauer are deeply troubling,” said Time's Up in a statement that refers to the three women, including Brooke Nevils, who went on the record for the first time with allegations against Lauer in Ronan Farrow's new book Catch and Kill. "We commend NBC for taking an important step by firing Matt Lauer after Brooke reported the assault to HR, but that must only be the start: Real progress happens when corporations like NBC make a transparent and continuous commitment to creating and nurturing a culture of safety and equity, which often involves long-term structural change across all levels," Time's Up said in a statement. "Instead, NBC’s latest statements fail to demonstrate a commitment to such change and fail to support the victims who take the courageous step to come forward. NBC’s 2018 investigation revealed a number of areas where NBC should work to improve its culture. We ask NBC to be transparent about the steps it has taken, and the steps it will continue to take, to establish the inclusive, fair, and equitable workplace culture that every employee of NBC deserves."

ALSO:

Report: Matt Lauer had an affair with a "well-respected" NBC star

Page Six, which is not naming the "NBC star," says the woman signed a non-disclosure agreement when she left NBC. Ronan Farrow's book Catch and Kill also claims Lauer repeatedly harassed an on-air NBC personality, who was allegedly forced to sign a strict NDA when she left the network in 2012. It’s not clear if it’s the same woman Page Six learned about.

Megyn Kelly demands outside investigation of NBC News, calls Matt Lauer a "sexual predator"

Kelly also called on NBC News to release Lauer's alleged accusers from non-disclosure agreements that, according to Ronan Farrow's new book Catch and Kill, they signed years before the former Today anchor was fired for sexual misconduct in November 2017. “Show us the money," said Kelly on Tucker Carlson Tonight, in her first Fox News appearance since leaving the cable news network nearly three years ago. "They need to release any and all Matt Lauer accusers from their confidentiality agreements. NBC says they have nothing to hide. Great, let’s not hide anything. Show us all the agreements so we can see which ones pop out, and are they all women? The question is open to whether they put dollars ahead of decency.” Kelly, who was also making her first appearance on TV since she was ousted from NBC News earlier this year, added: "There needs to be an outside investigation into this company. They investigated themselves. That doesn’t work. This is how it’s done. You get somebody who’s on the outside who can be trusted. If that’s true and there’s nothing to hide, get an outside investigator. … More needs to happen to get to the bottom of this.” Kelly also told Carlson that NBC News “covered up for one sexual predator, Harvey Weinstein, in order to protect another: Matt Lauer.”

NBC Universal says it won't conduct a new Matt Lauer investigation in wake of Ronan Farrow's new book revelations

"There is no additional investigation being launched," NBC Universal spokesperson Hilary Smith said in a statement. "We are very confident in the report that was conducted." Her statement comes one day after Megyn Kelly called for an outside investigation following new Lauer allegations in Farrow's Catch and Kill, including that accuser Brooke Nevils had accused him of rape Smith added: "We fired Matt Lauer within 24 hours of learning what he did, and promptly launched a corporate investigation. Based on our investigative findings, we have swiftly taken appropriate actions to address the situation and improve workplace culture. It is also worth noting that this was a corporate investigation that was conducted by an almost entirely female team, none of whom are part of the News division."

Katie Couric says her memoir will go into detail about working with Matt Lauer

Couric said before interviewing Ronan Farrow on her Next Question with Katie Couric podcast that she plans to delve into her time at NBC News and whether she was aware of any sexual misconduct in her forthcoming memoir. “The story that Ronan Farrow chronicles in his new book Catch and Kill is full of intrigue, deception and accusations of sexual assault and corporate malfeasance,” Couric said, according to ET Canada. “It’s a story I’ve been thinking a lot about and processing for the past two years, and one I am actually writing about as I work on my own book about my personal and professional life.” Couric's memoir will describe her experiences with sexism, plus serving as anchor of CBS Evening News, hosting a failed daytime talk show and "her misadventures as Yahoo global news anchor during CEO Marissa Mayer’s rocky tenure.”

Megyn Kelly, Gretchen Carlson and Greta Van Susteren sign a joint letter calling for an NBC News independent investigation

The letter that was sent on Thursday also features the signatures of Linda Vester, who accused Tom Brokaw of sexual misconduct, and Addie Zinone, who said she had an affair with Matt Lauer. "Comcast must prove to its shareholders that it will pursue the truth on behalf of NBC staffers,” the female journalists write in the letter to Comcast’s board of directors and chairman and CEO Brian Roberts. “If necessary, it should remove executives who have abused or silenced women.”

Report: NBC News president Noah Oppenheim signed a new deal amid Ronan Farrow's Catch and Kill allegations

Oppenheim's new deal, signed in recent months, will pave the way for him to succeed NBC News chairman Andy Lack after he steps down following the 2020 election. Oppenheim's deal was signed as Catch and Kill detailed allegations that he put up barriers to Farrow's Harvey Weinstein reporting.

NBC News president Noah Oppenheim is now being accused of "self-dealing"

Some NBC News staffers are angry that Oppenheim's wife, clinical psychologist Allison Oppenheim, has been collaborating with Today's Savannah Guthrie on two bestselling children’s books -- Princesses Wear Pants and its sequel, Princesses Save the World -- that have received "aggressive and repeated promotion" on Today, reports The Daily Beast. Both books are being developed into an animated series by Drew Barrymore's production company. "Several NBC News staffers this week expressed outrage that Oppenheim and his wife Allison have been benefiting from NBC’s on-air promotion of apparently lucrative side projects on which Today show star Savannah Guthrie has been collaborating with the boss’ wife," reports The Daily Beast, which adds: "And while Oppenheim has faced calls for his dismissal, with a women’s rights group scheduled to rally outside 30 Rockefeller Plaza on Wednesday, he’s found an ally in Guthrie. The Daily Beast has confirmed that Guthrie and Today co-host Hoda Kotb recently defended Oppenheim, and urged that he be kept on, to NBCUniversal chairman Steve Burke." An NBC News spokesperson defended the practice, saying other on-air news personalities, from Jake Tapper to Robin Roberts, promote their books on their shows.

Lilly Singh becomes the first NBC late-night host to tackle Matt Lauer's new sexual assault allegation

On Tuesday's A Little Late, Singh devoted part of her recurring "gift baskets" segment to the disgraced former Today co-anchor. As The Hollywood Reporter notes, Singh mockingly dedicated a gift basket to Lauer, saying that he "was fired from this network after several allegations came up accusing the former news anchor of sexual assault, which he denies all of the claims. Yeah, OK." Singh's segment comes two weeks after former Today staffer Brooke Nevils came forward in Ronan Farrow's new book Catch and Kill with her allegation that Lauer had raped her.

Small protest breaks out in front of 30 Rock over NBC News' sexual misconduct controversy

Feminist advocacy org UltraViolet organized today's protest after delivering a petition with nearly 20,000 signatures calling for the firing of NBC News president Noah Oppenheim and MSNBC president Phil Griffin. Oppenheim recently signed a contract extension despite criticism on his treatment of Ronan Farrow's Harvey Weinstein story.

Rachel Maddow rips NBC News bosses, announces ex-staffers can be free from non-disclosure agreements

The Rachel Maddow Show booked Catch and Kill author Ronan Farrow alone for Friday night's show. But before their interview, Maddow unloaded on her NBC News bosses for their handling of the Harvey Weinstein, Matt Lauer and the Trump Access Hollywood tape sexual misconduct controversies. She also announced that NBC Universal has decided to release former NBC News employees who believe they were the victims of sexual misconduct from non-disclosure agreements, allowing them speak freely. "Any former NBC News employee who believes that they cannot disclose their experience with sexual harassment as a result of a confidentiality or non-disparagement provision in their separation agreement should contact NBCUniversal and we will release them from that perceived obligation," according to an NBC Universal statement that Maddow read on air. Speaking about NBC News' sexual misconduct controversies, she added: "The allegations about the behavior of Harvey Weinstein and Matt Lauer are gut-wrenching at baseline, no matter who you are or what your connection is to this story. But accusations that people in positions of authority in this building may have been complicit in some way of shielding those guys from accountability, those accusations are very, very hard to stomach...he amount of consternation this has caused among the rank and file people who work here would be almost impossible for me to overstate." After his visit, Farrow thanked Maddow on Twitter, writing: "Credit where due: @maddow, independently confirming my reporting that Weinstein story was halted by NBC execs and calling her bosses to account on their own air—not an easy thing, for her or her staff— did this." Maddow speaking out against her NBC News bosses is highly unusual, as former New York Times TV reporter points out: "How powerful is RMaddow at NBC," Carter tweeted. "She unloaded on her bosses tonite abt handling of RFarrow’s reporting on Weinstein. She reported 'consternation'at NBC over missing that+Access H-wood scoop. 'Very hard to stomach,'she said+ questioned lack of external investigation. That powerful." In a separate tweet, Carter added: "Don’t remember something like this, a news star using her power to call out actions by her network that had obviously shaken the professionals working there. Farrow called her brave. It may have been a bit less risky bc of her status, but brave it was. And entirely admirable."

Tom Brokaw accuser Linda Vester calls B.S. on NBC's offer to release alleged Matt Lauer victims from non-disclosure agreements

Linda Vester, the former NBC News and Fox News correspondent who last year accused Brokaw of sexual misconduct, compared Rachel Maddow's announcement that NBC Universal will release any former NBC News staffer who signed a non-disclosure agreement to a Friday night news dump. "Why is NBC making victims, who have already endured trauma, come crawling on their hands and knees to ask the company to release them from confidentiality agreements?" writes Vester in an article posted to The Daily Beast. "Play out the scenario: a woman with no representation or money calls the company and asks, “Will you let me speak?” NBC then tells her to cough up all the information she has. Then what happens? Does the company just say, 'You’re free to talk'? Or do they retain the right to deny her—or stipulate that she can talk about x but not about y? This seems to be evidence that the company is re-traumatizing victims and still trying to keep them under its thumb. How many women are really likely to volunteer for this cattle call? If NBC genuinely wants to root out the harassment and cover-up problem, it should issue a blanket statement automatically allowing everyone with a secret agreement of any type involving NBC/MSNBC to speak freely and publicly about harassment, retaliation, and tangential gender-based issues. Importantly, the statement should release ALL current and former employees AS WELL AS individuals related to them. Because there are people still inside the company, not just former staffers, who need and want to speak."

Report: Hoda Kotb has stopped speaking to Matt Lauer following rape allegation

Kotb has previously said she kept in touch with Lauer, her former Today colleague, following his firing for sexual misconduct two years ago. But according to Us Weekly that relationship has ended ever since former Today staffer Brooke Nevils revealed her allegation in Ronan Farrow's Catch and Kill that Lauer raped her.

Last edited by TMC; 10-30-2019 at 07:05 PM.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote