Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Politics / Random Posts

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Showtime Gets Vanessa Bayer Comedy Pilot; Jeopardy! Sees Who's the GOAT on ABC Primetime
Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 12:39 PM   #46
pontoon
~~VOTE GOAT!~~
Frequent Poster

Post In response to...

<< I don't understand why you seem so absolutely ready to crucify all the bands and seem to be unwilling to lay blame on the industry and the REAL people who control it: >>

NOBODY forces a pen into these people's hands ands MAKES them sign their lives away! Wouldn't you be just a 'tad' suspicious signing a document with print so small it can hardly be seen? "Let's see...we'll give you each $50,000 dollars, but don't worry about the part that says we OWN everything you do for the next 30 years! No problem...we'll work that out 'later'! OH...Did I mention F I F T Y G R A N D!"

<< The question isn't, does it bother you that ANY popular songs are used in commercials, the question is, does it bother you that some of the greatest and most classic songs of this or any era are cheapened in commercials. >>

I'm not selfish! It's just not MY favorites I worry about. I'm not a Celine Dion fan...but if I heard a tune of hers selling soap or something, I'd STILL shake my head and yell 'SELL-OUT' in my head to myself! It just seems to cheapen the art of to the point of..."Well, if it doesn't get much airplay, I can always sell it to 'Subaru'!" But YES...it probably angers me a little more when it's something I've grown to love over the years!

<< you imply everyone who makes bad deals is on drugs. Well since this seems to be in reply to my comment about Aerosmith making bad deals >>

I didn't mention, nor alluded to Aerosmith in this...

<< However, if some of these artists didn't squander their earnings on drugs and extravagances, or MAKE such lousy deals in a 'drugged out stupor' and get ripped off by greedy managers...maybe they WOULDN'T have to 'sell out' in their 'golden' years! >>

...and you'll see I said 'some' not 'everyone' of these artists! But if anyone deserves the 'Golden Syringe' award, it would be Aerosmith! One of my favorite bands growing up BTW!

And LET'S TALK about Aerosmith! The song 'Just Push Play'...a recent hit of theirs, selling SUV's now if I'm not mistaken! Forget about the 'memory' factor with THAT one! It landed on a commercial SO fast, it left no time for ANYONE to develop memories from it! It's now just another commercial 'jingle' IMO!

pontoon

Last edited by pontoon; 07-25-2002 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:29 PM   #47
Bootsy Whoosh
Storms abrewin'...

Default Re: In response to...

Quote:
Originally posted by pontoon
And LET'S TALK about Aerosmith! The song 'Just Push Play'...a recent hit of theirs, selling SUV's now if I'm not mistaken! Forget about the 'memory' factor with THAT one! It landed on a commercial SO fast, it left no time for ANYONE to develop memories from it! It's now just another commercial 'jingle' IMO!

pontoon
Yes, that is sad. It's selling Dodge trucks, BTW. Aerosmith signed some deal with Dodge, wherein Dodge sponsors their tour in exchange for using some songs in their commercials. It does suck...but as I never was a huge fan of that particular song it doesn't bother me too much other than as a principle.

But we will have to disagree about the evil tactics of the recording industry, because you will never convince me that they aren't scumbums. I'm not saying the artists shouldn't take any responsibility for their own actions, but I will never ever in a million years say that the recording industry is not largely responsible for the crappy state of music.
Watch your thoughts; they become your words. Watch your words; they become your actions. Watch your actions; they become your habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character for it will become your destiny. - unknown
Old 07-25-2002, 03:46 PM   #48
Mysty Eyes
Dreaming...

Default Re: In response to...

Quote:
Originally posted by pontoon
NOBODY forces a pen into these people's hands ands MAKES them sign their lives away! Wouldn't you be just a 'tad' suspicious signing a document with print so small it can hardly be seen? "Let's see...we'll give you each $50,000 dollars, but don't worry about the part that says we OWN everything you do for the next 30 years! No problem...we'll work that out 'later'! OH...Did I mention F I F T Y G R A N D!"
Not to belabor this, but when talking about these particular artists (ie The Beatles and others of that era, and a few years after), you need to remember that kids (yes, they are usually young when they start out) were no where near as business-savvy as the youth of today. It would probably never occur to them to be suspicious of a contract. Hey, these were "official" documents drawn up by experts, so why doubt them?

Even today, starry-eyed kids can be duped into signing away most everything. It was especially true years ago.

As far a stars signing current contracts for sponsorship deals: hey, what's wrong with that? Why can't Aerosmith, or any other artist, write songs specifically for an ad? It's quite a lucrative engagement. Yes, it is about money in this case; they get paid quite well for their songs. The reason? Because people like me and you notice the ads, and remember the product. That's the whole point of advertising.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:58 PM   #49
Kitt
James Dean

To Mysty eyes, I agree with a lot of what you said but I don't know why you say the youth of today are MUCH more business saavy. I've heard recent horror stories of bands and artists being ripped off by managers and the industry just like in the Beatles era. One of the very few examples I can think of of someone who is business saavy would be Madonna and she starrted out in the early eighties.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:58 PM   #50
Bootsy Whoosh
Storms abrewin'...

Default Re: Re: In response to...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mysty Eyes
As far a stars signing current contracts for sponsorship deals: hey, what's wrong with that? Why can't Aerosmith, or any other artist, write songs specifically for an ad? It's quite a lucrative engagement. Yes, it is about money in this case; they get paid quite well for their songs. The reason? Because people like me and you notice the ads, and remember the product. That's the whole point of advertising.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with artists writing songs specifically for ads. Even though I don't like the commercial, I don't give a rat's butt if Britney Spears wants to sing about Pepsi. The thing that pontoon objects to is using existing songs in commercials. The song Dodge used from Aerosmith was not specifically written for Dodge, unfortunately, but was taken off their most recent album.

But I agree with everything else you said, Mysty, about kids not being business savvy. Kids and alot of people are just plain gullible sometimes, especially young people who have trouble envisioning the future. Alot of younger people live in the moment and don't think about what the future may bring. Is it their fault? Partially. But they are still being taken advantage of by a behemoth industry with alot of power that most people can't afford (literally and figuratively) to take on.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:02 PM   #51
Bootsy Whoosh
Storms abrewin'...

Quote:
Originally posted by kittflynn
To Mysty eyes, I agree with a lot of what you said but I don't know why you say the youth of today are MUCH more business saavy. I've heard recent horror stories of bands and artists being ripped off by managers and the industry just like in the Beatles era. One of the very few examples I can think of of someone who is business saavy would be Madonna and she starrted out in the early eighties.
Good point kitt. To provide an example: 'NSync signed away their rights to the name "NSync". They've lost alot of money as a result of that, and had to spend money going to court over it.

I think anyone who is starry eyed and eager to have a career in music can easily get swept up into bad contracts, not only young people.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:41 PM   #52
Rockapella722
.B.A.D.G.E.R. .G.I.R.L.

Send a message via AIM to Rockapella722

There's not really much left to say on this topic, but I agree with about 95% of what pontoon said.

...Queer Eye For The Straight Guy...

"You guys, look. This is my pile of stuff I don't like..... is it getting too big?"
-Thom Filicia

| livejournal | email |
Old 07-25-2002, 08:02 PM   #53
Mysty Eyes
Dreaming...

Quote:
Well, I DIDN'T say that today's youth are "MUCH more" savvy. I didn't say that at all. What I said was that the artists of the 60s, etc. "were no where near as business-savvy as the youth of today." And I am fairly confident that that is true. If nothing else TV, film, and the internet keep most people more informed than people were in the past.

I went on to say "Even today, starry-eyed kids can be duped into signing away most everything." So I guess you really agree with me, since I didn't actually say what you believe I did.

Again, as far as using songs from new albums in ads... yeah, it's a form of selling out. But these new songs can't really be called "classics." And can you blame someone for making the bucks? The sponsor's going to buy the song from someone, after all. And as long as we've got to hear the music in the ads it may as well be good music, don't you think?
Old 07-25-2002, 08:05 PM   #54
DarleneIllyria
Gone
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Madonna is a prime example of a good business woman. I can only remember 2 occasions that I heard Madonna's songs for a commericial. One was the MTV vote ad that was shown in 1990 (I think) and she was doing a little rap skit with her song "Vogue". The other was something about a vacation spot that played "Holiday" in the background, but it wasn't Madonna singing. Yeah, she is a good business woman though.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:12 PM   #55
Mysty Eyes
Dreaming...

Oops. Double post.

Last edited by Mysty Eyes; 07-25-2002 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:14 PM   #56
Mysty Eyes
Dreaming...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenny
Madonna is a prime example of a good business woman. I can only remember 2 occasions that I heard Madonna's songs for a commericial. One was the MTV vote ad that was shown in 1990 (I think) and she was doing a little rap skit with her song "Vogue". The other was something about a vacation spot that played "Holiday" in the background, but it wasn't Madonna singing. Yeah, she is a good business woman though.
Actually, Madonna had a huge contract with Pepsi many years ago. They dropped her FAST after she put out the controversial video for "Like A Prayer." I imagine she might very well have used album cuts in those ads. But we'll never know.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:57 PM   #57
Kitt
James Dean

Quote:

Well, I DIDN'T say that today's youth are "MUCH more" savvy. I didn't say that at all. What I said was that the artists of the 60s, etc. "were no where near as business-savvy as the youth of today." And I am fairly confident that that is true. If nothing else TV, film, and the internet keep most people more informed than people were in the past.

I went on to say "Even today, starry-eyed kids can be duped into signing away most everything." So I guess you really agree with me, since I didn't actually say what you believe I did.
Well, you did say some of todays youth are starry eyed so we agree on that but I don't see a difference between saying yesterdays youth were "no where near as savvy" as todays youth, as opposed to saying, todays youth are"much more savvy" then yesterdays youth. What's the difference? The subject is musicians making business decisions pitted up against agents and conglomerats. I don't think the playing field has leveled much over the years in that specific game.

Last edited by Kitt; 07-25-2002 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:45 PM   #58
DarleneIllyria
Gone
Forum Veteran

Quote:

Actually, Madonna had a huge contract with Pepsi many years ago. They dropped her FAST after she put out the controversial video for "Like A Prayer." I imagine she might very well have used album cuts in those ads. But we'll never know.
I totally forgot about the Pepsi one! As many times as I've heard that one her Behind the Music and all the Madonna specials, you would've thought I'd remembered that one!
Old 08-17-2002, 05:07 PM   #59
cablejockey
Forum Regular

I complain when I hear some song from way back and its part of a commercial now, or a bit of it is incorporated in some new pop song. I get pretty much the same response from some--its nothing to get excited about, etc. I am waiting for the day when a Brittany Spears, Oasis, Backstreet Boys hit is used in oh lets say a Kentucky Fried Chicken, or toilet paper or detergent commercial.
Closed Thread