Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Andy Griffith Show (Sitcoms Online) / The Andy Griffith Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Andy Griffith Show Photo Gallery

The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete First Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Second Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Third Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fourth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fifth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Sixth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Seventh Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Eighth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series on DVD
The Andy Griffith Show 50th Anniversary - The Best of Mayberry

Buy The Andy Griffith Show 50th Anniversary - The Best of Mayberry on DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - Season 1 (Blu-ray)

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - Season 1 on Blu-ray

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Andy Griffith Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Moves New Drama to Thursday Night; Veep Star Heads to Hulu
HBO Comedy Betty to Premiere May 1; Molly Shannon Is a Big Deal on Showtime
AMC Gets Alternating Single-Camera and Multi-Camera Sitcom; Bunk'd Returning for Season 5
Friends Reunion Officially on HBO Max in May 2020; Modern Family Fan Favorite Episodes Marathon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of February 24, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Lark Voorhies Unhappy with Saved by the Bell Reboot Snub; Remembering Ja'Net DuBois
Fri-Yay: Single Parents Quietly Becoming ABC's Best Sitcom; BET+ Gets Bigger with Comedy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January/February)

Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series

12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/06 - 9JKL - The Complete Series
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Atlanta - Season 2 - Robbin' Season
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
12/17 - Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Series (2019 Release)
12/17 - The Other Two - Season 1
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-06-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
GentlemanJim
Frequent Poster

Madderest Helen Crump is nuts

When Andy and Barney are cornered by Daphne and Skippy during season 4's episode "Fun Girls", Helen Crump assumes the worst and becomes furious with Andy. The same green-eyed monster is aroused in season 5's episode "Guest in the House"

Then in season 6 episode titled "Andy's Rival" when the tables are turned and Ms Crump is spending after hours with Frank Smith, Andy becomes jealous, but Helen once again gets angry for Andy daring to suspect her devotion.

Whyzit the men are always put on the defensive in these matters and the women always try to claim just cause for being the one to get angry?
GentlemanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

She was never my favorite of Andy’s girlfriends. I liked Peggy McMillan the rich girl a lot better than Helen. Or even the county nurse.
MichaelKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
GentlemanJim
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKeith View Post
She was never my favorite of Andy’s girlfriends. I liked Peggy McMillan the rich girl a lot better than Helen. Or even the county nurse.
I liked her too. Joanna Moore, appeared in 4 episodes of TAGS, all 4 using the name Peggy McMillan

But I believe there were two distinct characters named Peggy McMillan, both played by Moore.....

The Rich Girlfriend being one of them, and then a more down to earth Mayberry local in "Opie's Rival", "Andy and Opie Bachelors", And "Barney mends a broken heart" where Peggy McMillan is cast as the county nurse.

The last of which should not be confused with the Episode named "The County Nurse" where the nurse character name was "Mary Simpson" played by Julie Adams

Convoluted isn't it?
Old 01-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
GentlemanJim
Frequent Poster

Still, I'm a bit perplexed over the dual standard outlined in my original post. Helen was self-righteously angry in all three instances I mention, while Andy was put under the gun to make amends over "nothing" basically. It seems sexist to presume the man owes the apology in all instances.

I can just envision if Andy were the one expressing anger, Helen would be deriding him for being selfish and immature....
Old 01-06-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

Yes, Joanna Moore. She played a nice character in all of her episodes. They should have made her his steady girlfriend.
MichaelKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #6
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan

Andy was always put into the position of having to lie, due to her obsessive jealousy. One example was when Andy had to go to Raleigh to meet with the lawyer, who turned out to be a lady. Having to lie about his sunburn, sweating it out when Howard mentioned knowing Lee Drake, but it turned out to be another one. And of course Helen goes ballistic when she meets the lawyer when she comes out of the courthouse.

Just like she goes nuts when she finds out Andy and the old girlfriend both got up early at the cabin.

She is nuts! Andy would have done better with Charlene Darling.
stevea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:05 AM   #7
PracTz

I think Andy would have been best with Ellie Walker (and Opie would have had a much warmer stepmother).

Did anyone besides Mr. Griffith like her?
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
Mayberry'sBadBoy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracTz View Post
I think Andy would have been best with Ellie Walker (and Opie would have had a much warmer stepmother).

Did anyone besides Mr. Griffith like her?
I've met a few people that did like Helen but even they admit there were numerous times she acted out of line and the few times they were romantic were few and far between.

One thing that doesn't get brought up about discussions of Andy's girlfriends is Barbara Griffith's involvement in trying to separate Andy from them. For those who don't know Barbara and Andy's relationship made Andy and Helen's arguments look tame in comparison (To give an idea of how bad it was the reason Andy wears a cast in Aunt Bea the Warden and the Farm Takes a Shot was due to Andy Griffith punching a hole in the wall during a fight with his wife and a week later Barbara would top him by putting her fist through the gfront door during a fight) Barbara was one of the reasons that Peggy was removed and I imagine that initially she was okay with Crump because she like everyone else figured she would be a one-off character (particularly since Andy and Anita Coursaut both got into a big fight the first day of rehearsing Andy Discovers America). Unfortunately for her Helen became a new character and Aneta became Andy's mistress.
Mayberry'sBadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #9
GentlemanJim
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberry'sBadBoy View Post
Barbara was one of the reasons that Peggy was removed and I imagine that initially she was okay with Crump because she like everyone else figured she would be a one-off character . Unfortunately for her Helen became a new character and Aneta became Andy's mistress.
I've often wondered if perhaps AG was "demanding" in that way with his female co-stars. At least at the height of his career. Wondering if that could have been a factor in Elinore Donahue's early departure?
Old 01-20-2020, 01:49 PM   #10
Mayberry'sBadBoy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
I've often wondered if perhaps AG was "demanding" in that way with his female co-stars. At least at the height of his career. Wondering if that could have been a factor in Elinore Donahue's early departure?
Initially Andy was actually shy about being around women and performing love scenes (Fun Fact: Betty Lynn (Thelma Lou) actually had a huge crush on Andy Griffith but Griffith didn't make the move due to shyness and initially not wanting to break up his marriage). However by Season 3 that changed as Andy had no problem being romantic with Peggy and Helen. I think the hole in the wall might've been the straw that broke the Camel's back when it came to Griffith leaving his shyness and becoming more willing to be romantic and be a playboy. It's worth noting that after his divorce from Barbara and Aneta turning down his three marriage proposals that he managed to briefly be married to a Greek heiress before getting his third wife.
Mayberry'sBadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #11
PracTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberry'sBadBoy View Post
I've met a few people that did like Helen but even they admit there were numerous times she acted out of line and the few times they were romantic were few and far between.

One thing that doesn't get brought up about discussions of Andy's girlfriends is Barbara Griffith's involvement in trying to separate Andy from them. For those who don't know Barbara and Andy's relationship made Andy and Helen's arguments look tame in comparison (To give an idea of how bad it was the reason Andy wears a cast in Aunt Bea the Warden and the Farm Takes a Shot was due to Andy Griffith punching a hole in the wall during a fight with his wife and a week later Barbara would top him by putting her fist through the gfront door during a fight) Barbara was one of the reasons that Peggy was removed and I imagine that initially she was okay with Crump because she like everyone else figured she would be a one-off character (particularly since Andy and Anita Coursaut both got into a big fight the first day of rehearsing Andy Discovers America). Unfortunately for her Helen became a new character and Aneta became Andy's mistress.
Even though Peggy was more likable than Helen (but still easily paled compared to Ellie), IMO, it's just as well that the 1st Mrs. Griffith got rid of Peggy played by Joanna Moore (AKA the 1st Mrs. Ryan O'Neal). Life was challenging enough for the Griffith kids without somehow having to get mixed up with the O'Neals even on a part time basis had their respective parents managed to make their hookup official.
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote