Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet (Sitcoms Online) / The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet Photo Gallery

The Best of The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet

Buy The Best of The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet on DVD
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Best of Ricky and Dave

Buy The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Best of Ricky and Dave on DVD
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Christmas with the Nelsons

Buy The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Christmas with the Nelsons on DVD
Ozzie & Harriet Classics

Buy Ozzie & Harriet Classics on DVD
The Essential Ozzie & Harriet Collection

Buy The Essential Ozzie & Harriet Collection on DVD
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Various Releases

Buy The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Various Releases on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: A Look at the Party of Five Reboot; The Simpsons Not Ending Soon, Says Producer
Dove Channel Brings Out Holiday Classics; CW Gets DC Universe Series with Sitcom Star

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #31
honeybea
Forum Regular

+I know I had to have seem "Ozzie's Girls", but just annnot remember anything about it.

Yes, we want David around for a very long time!
honeybea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #32
TeeVeeCloset

As some of you may know, I recently sent a complete business proposal to David's & The Nelson Estate representation regarding licensing "Ozzie's Girls" for DVD release.....I cannot get into exact details, but the response did not go well and I doubt we will see it for many years or if ever....basically the releases do not make enough money for The estate.

Last edited by TeeVeeCloset; 08-19-2008 at 03:55 PM.
TeeVeeCloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #33
honeybea
Forum Regular

I guess that the way it is with a lot of the older shows, not making enough money. It's a shame, there's so many good shows I'd love to get. I do hope David Nelson is around for a very long time, even though we won't get to see the rest of the episodes.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #34
dahur1
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybea
I doubt David ever authorizes the release of all the show. I I guess David is honoring his father's wishes by not releasing them.

I wonder why Ozzie wouldn't want them released? I think every fan of O&H would agree, that it would be a dream set to have. Most everything always comes down to money though.
dahur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #35
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Ozzie did not want certain episodes released in syndication because he felt that some episodes were just not good enough to be reran. I guess it was a personal thing where he felt certain stories just didn't gel or were not funny enough, so that is why he only allowed 200 episodes in the initial syndication package. After Ozzie passed on and David took control, he allowed another 100 to be added when The Disney Channel purchased the series. I guess maybe David feels the remainder really doesn't measure up--after all, there have to be some turkeys in the episodes produced. Still, shouldn't we fans be allowed to decide that for ourselves? I guess we should be grateful--look at how many series from the '50s and '60s that will probably never again see the light of day in reruns, much less DVD release.
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #36
honeybea
Forum Regular

"I guess we should be grateful--look at how many series from the '50s and '60s that will probably never again see the light of day in reruns, much less DVD release."

True, I'm still waiting and hoping for Wagon Train. I have about 50 episodes, but most are the newer ones, I want the first shows with Ward Bond.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #37
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Certain RTN stations are carrying Wagon Train reruns right now--mine is, on the weekends. Just a heads' up.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #38
dahur1
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybea
"I guess we should be grateful--look at how many series from the '50s and '60s that will probably never again see the light of day in reruns, much less DVD release."

True, I'm still waiting and hoping for Wagon Train. I have about 50 episodes, but most are the newer ones, I want the first shows with Ward Bond.

Funny you should mention "Wagon Train". I just got a 196 episode set yesterday, and have just finished watching episode one with guest star Ernest Borgnine. This is one more series I haven't seen since it originally aired, and it's a real pleasure to watch it again.
dahur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #39
honeybea
Forum Regular

Unfortunately, I don't have RTN, there's only one place in SC that has it,. Myrtle Beach. Makes me angry because Time/Warner is the affiliate there and I have Time/Warner too.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #40
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Well, Honeybea, we can see if some episodes can be taped for you!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #41
honeybea
Forum Regular

Oh don't tempt me, I'd be a hog and want them all! LOL I'm constantly emailing Time/Warner about this. With my luck, I'd get the channel, but not the show since Ithey offer different shows for different affilliates.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:39 AM   #42
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude86
Ozzie did not want certain episodes released in syndication because he felt that some episodes were just not good enough to be reran. I guess it was a personal thing where he felt certain stories just didn't gel or were not funny enough, so that is why he only allowed 200 episodes in the initial syndication package. After Ozzie passed on and David took control, he allowed another 100 to be added when The Disney Channel purchased the series. I guess maybe David feels the remainder really doesn't measure up--after all, there have to be some turkeys in the episodes produced. Still, shouldn't we fans be allowed to decide that for ourselves? I guess we should be grateful--look at how many series from the '50s and '60s that will probably never again see the light of day in reruns, much less DVD release.
Hey Jude, (sorry for that one)

I want to add some thoughts to Ozzie's decision for episode selection for syndication and how it effects us today....I was watching "The Testimonial" yesterday and felt it was a sub-par episode...even though I enjoy all episodes even when occasionally they are not classics. "The Testimonial" features Harriet (off camera) hitting Ozzie over the head with a frying pan and it got me thinking that perhaps this is one that Oz wouldn't have selected for syndication. I want to add also that Ozzie was perhaps told to limit his selection to 200 episodes because in those days they didn't syndicate entire runs of long running series...that brings us today....since I believe all 435 episodes of O&H are in the public domain, many of the episodes that are available have original commercials from original films and are not part of Ozzies original 200. So the theory that David doesn't let out episodes that his father didn't choose, even though he did with the disney channel airings, is definatley probably true. BUT that doesn't stop us and public domain companies from seeing episodes that technically Ozzie didn't think held up. just some random thoughts....what do you think?
TeeVeeCloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #43
Jude The Obscure
Retired

You are probably correct, TeeVee. and you owe me $327 (the Hey Jude royalty fee)

I was thinking of how many episodes I've seen that were not part of the original syndication package.

Look at My Three Sons--for years, the b&W years were never in syndication.
Same thing with other long running shows--of course, Lassie was syndicated under different titles.

Ozzie could have sold at least 2 different packages--the early years as "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet", the later years as "The Adventures of The Nelson Family".-
Old 08-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #44
ILUVO&H
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude86
You are probably correct, TeeVee. and you owe me $327 (the Hey Jude royalty fee)

I was thinking of how many episodes I've seen that were not part of the original syndication package.

Look at My Three Sons--for years, the b&W years were never in syndication.
Same thing with other long running shows--of course, Lassie was syndicated under different titles.

Ozzie could have sold at least 2 different packages--the early years as "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet", the later years as "The Adventures of The Nelson Family".-

Funny you mention My Three Sons about the synidcation. My Three Sons went off the air the same year I was born. I use to watch re-runs of the show all the time. It wasn't until Nick at Nite started airing the B/W epiosdes in the mid/late 80's that I even realized there were Black and White episodes.

Same thing with Bewitched. Until I saw the B/W episodes on TV Land in the late 90's I had no idea Bewitched started in black in white.. and began with Sam and Darrins honeymoon. I always thought it started with a 1 year old Tabitha, And the Second Mrs. Kravitz
ILUVO&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #45
Jude The Obscure
Retired

I learned about My Three Sons b/w episodes through TV reference books and never understood why we weren't allowed to see them in reruns back then.

I knew about BW's black and white shows because the reruns from the '70s had them. It was until like '78 or '79 they stopped showing them and then the show was repackaged in the '80s by Colex as a color show only.