Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet (Sitcoms Online) / The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet Photo Gallery

The Best of The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet

Buy The Best of The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet on DVD
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Best of Ricky and Dave

Buy The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Best of Ricky and Dave on DVD
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Christmas with the Nelsons

Buy The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Christmas with the Nelsons on DVD
Ozzie & Harriet Classics

Buy Ozzie & Harriet Classics on DVD
The Essential Ozzie & Harriet Collection

Buy The Essential Ozzie & Harriet Collection on DVD
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Various Releases

Buy The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Various Releases on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #46
matt77b
Frequent Poster

But to play the devil's advocate, one Nelson who remained close to and supportive of Kris--even through the divorce with Rick, Rick's death, Kris's rehab stint in 1987 and her custody fight w/ her brother Mark Harmon over Sam later that year--was Harriet. Harriet and Kris continued to speak with and see each other for the rest of Harriet's life, and Kris attended Harriet's funeral in 1994 although she wasn't exactly a popular figure in the Nelson clan by then. Supposedly (according to some books) Harriet had hoped that Rick and Kris might reconcile, and that may have been part of her (also alleged) dislike of Rick's girlfriend for the last 4 years of his life, Helen Blair (no relation to June). (And speaking of June, perhaps as a sign of how much respect she had for Harriet, she attended Harriet's funeral too, even though she had long since dropped out of the Nelson orbit so to speak.)
matt77b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #47
Hughsgirl
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt77b
But to play the devil's advocate, one Nelson who remained close to and supportive of Kris--even through the divorce with Rick, Rick's death, Kris's rehab stint in 1987 and her custody fight w/ her brother Mark Harmon over Sam later that year--was Harriet. Harriet and Kris continued to speak with and see each other for the rest of Harriet's life, and Kris attended Harriet's funeral in 1994 although she wasn't exactly a popular figure in the Nelson clan by then. Supposedly (according to some books) Harriet had hoped that Rick and Kris might reconcile, and that may have been part of her (also alleged) dislike of Rick's girlfriend for the last 4 years of his life, Helen Blair (no relation to June). (And speaking of June, perhaps as a sign of how much respect she had for Harriet, she attended Harriet's funeral too, even though she had long since dropped out of the Nelson orbit so to speak.)
Well, whatever happened I know that no matter how flat you make a pancake there are two sides....I get that, but I was just explaining how I felt about Kris on screen and the bad vibes I got from her. I'm sure Rick was no saint given the crap that we hear from what happens to a majority of people after fame and fortune comes to them, but I agree with the earlier post about the kids moving in with Rick after the divorce and how that speaks volumns.
Hughsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #48
matt77b
Frequent Poster

Oh I agree with you about Kris on the show...I've always thought June came across as much nicer, sweeter, and more charming on the show (although in real life she apparently had some problems w/ O&H--at one point circa 1963-64, she supposedly went something like 2 years without even going to their house...guess that neither Dave nor Rick succeeded in "marrying a girl like the girl that married dear old Dad"--although David's second marriage has apparently been a very good one).
Old 06-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #49
Dan Tullis
Frequent Poster

I liked June on the show, but don't know ANYTHING about what she's done in the years since. Maybe she just prefers her privacy. I respect that. David does appear to have a happy marriage now, we should all be so lucky
Dan Tullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #50
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

^

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #51
ILUVO&H
Forum Regular

I don't really know anything about June. I've heard very little about her both during her marriage to Dave and afterwards.

I liked her character on the show. I always enjoyed any of the episodes with the 'boys' and their wives. I don't know how much their real personalities went into the characters but character wise, June seemed more reserved and self conscious, while Kris seemed more spontaneous, emotional and dominant.

One thing I did read or hear Dave say about the wives and the show was that it was challenging for both he and Rick having their wives on the show due to the fact that Ozzie was in charge of everything on the show. Dave was quite gentle in how he spoke of the conflict. I can see where there'd be tension. So here the wives are coming into a new family, new brides, getting a new job and your new father-in-law is your boss. It's hard enough just marrying and trying to adjust to in-laws and a new set of 'parents' let alone one of them being your boss. Dave mentioned they really had to work at trying to convey to their wives that things dealing with the show is about the show and not personal and that on the set, Ozzie's the boss.

About the twins moving in with Rick on their 18th Birthday, I read Gunnar saying that they wanted to live with Rick from the start but Kris had custody so they couldn't. But also Kris had told the twins if they weren't going to go to college they they had to move out when they turned 18. The twins asked Rick if they could move in with him when they turned 18, and Gunnar said Rick was very happy about having them move in with him because he had wanted them with him all along.

I wonder if had the twins went to college and lived with her, if she would have been able to continue to get child support for them frmo Rick?

Does anyone know, when was Sam living with Kris' parents? I've always wondered just why was it, that Sam was living with Kris' parents.
ILUVO&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #52
matt77b
Frequent Poster

From what I've read, June had a much harder time adjusting to both the Nelson family and the TV show than Kris did. June grew up in foster homes and already found the Nelsons' closeness overwhelming, let alone having to work with them and try to make the differentiation between Ozzie the boss and Ozzie her father-in-law. David and Skip Young both admitted that there was tension between Ozzie and June on and off the set, which may have been part of why she left the show in 1964 (although she came back for the last season). Plus, whereas Kris was only 18 when she joined the show and had no prior career, June did have an acting and modeling career (including a Playboy centerfold!) and felt that the show might harm her career. Later on, according to some of the books on the Nelsons, she was bitter that the show supposedly had ruined her career. But I wonder about that...it's not like she had a really great career before the show...she started making appearances on the show ("His Brother's Girl") before she was dating David.

Sam lived with Tom and Elyse Harmon when Rick and Kris's long and bitter (thanks to Kris) divorce was going on, circa 1980-82. Rick was on tour all the time (out of financial necessity and, as David later said, "to escape the process servers" continually sent by Kris's lawyers) and Kris apparently wasn't too interested in (or perhaps not capable of) having Sam, I guess...it wasn't like the courts forced her to send Sam to her parents...I read that not only did Sam call Tom Harmon "pop" in those days but that he was very close to Kris's sister Kelly, who spent more time with him in those days than Kris did. But anyway from what I've seen of him in interviews, Sam (like all of Rick and Kris's kids, actually) seems to have turned out to be a pretty level-headed and well-adjusted adult, despite having what had to have been a trying childhood.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #53
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

^ It's amazing that all 4 kids turned out as well as they did - especially in Hollywood. Is Tracy the only one of the four who has kids of her own?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #54
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

I think this has been mentioned before but one of the issues June Nelson always claimed she had was that she felt she never fit in with the family.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #55
matt77b
Frequent Poster

According to several books, Ozzie was not in favor of the marriage, which one would have to think June probably sensed to some degree or another and which could not have made her feel too comfortable.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #56
Goldilocks
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
^ It's amazing that all 4 kids turned out as well as they did - especially in Hollywood. Is Tracy the only one of the four who has kids of her own?
Yes.
Goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #57
Dan Tullis
Frequent Poster

Rick would be very proud of his kids if he were around today. I recall that when Tracy was on Square Pegs, Rick talked about how she got the show on her own, he really respected her for the actress she was becoming. I wonder if he ever got to see a rough cut of "Down and Out in Beverly Hills"? My recollection is that the movie came out just after Rick's death. Tracy was very good in it, and of course in the Father Dowling Mysteries.
Dan Tullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #58
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldilocks
Yes.
I thought so. Thanks.