Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Last Man Standing links at Sitcoms Online / Last Man Standing Photo Gallery

Last Man Standing - The Complete First Season

Buy Last Man Standing - The Complete First Season on DVD
Last Man Standing - The Complete Second Season

Buy Last Man Standing - The Complete Second Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Current Sitcoms > Last Man Standing

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Miracle Workers Returns to TBS; ABC's Summer Fun & Games Lineup Renewed for 2020
Lifetime's Winter Ripped from the Headlines; PIX11 Holiday Lineup
Showtime Gets Vanessa Bayer Comedy Pilot; Jeopardy! Sees Who's the GOAT on ABC Primetime
Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-05-2016, 04:57 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Why did they change Mike so much between Season 1 and 2?

You could tell he was probably conservative leaning, but he wasn't obnoxious about his politics. He was well educated and well traveled and cultured and was genuinely a great husband and father who would help with things around the house like doing the laundry without any fuss. All in all, Mike Baxter was a decidedly well rounded and complex person. I thought that Mike seemed more like a real character in Season 1. He wasn't a political cartoon.

But something clearly happened between Season 1 and 2, because a lot of these characteristics seemed to disappear. It's like they tried to turn him into Archie Bunker. He suddenly had the political knowledge one gets from scanning bad headlines, he doesn't seem as smart anymore. He's more obnoxious and makes blatantly racist (saying the Laraby's are going to bring over malt liquor) and sexist (saying that a man sitting in a chair while a woman works is the way things should be) comments.

Whereas Mike in Season 1 challenged the image of what some people see a Midwestern conservative man as (educated, cultured, genuinely loving to his family), Mike in Season 2 plays into all the bad stereotypes of what people think of as the conservative Midwestern man (racist, sexist, oblivious, obnoxious). He no longer seems to care or talk about his great adventures traveling the world and absorbing different cultures. He's just been reduced to the over the top political joke who puts 50 Romney signs in his yard and skits shouts "Nobama" and "Hellary" all day.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #2
JO Sweet Heart

I haven't noticed any difference.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I am guessing that the reason why he is so annoying with his politics is because everyone else is too. When one opinion is put out there, what do you think will be put out there next? .....Another opinion.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:54 AM   #3
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO Sweet Heart

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I am guessing that the reason why he is so annoying with his politics is because everyone else is too. When one opinion is put out there, what do you think will be put out there next? .....Another opinion.
If you go back and watch the first season, it was the typical family sitcom with very mild situations and no political stuff. It was actually kind of an abrupt switch if like me, you watched the last episode of the first season and then immediately afterwards watched the first episode of the second season.

That is part of why Alexander Krosney was fired and replaced with Amanda Fuller. It was decided to go in a different direction and she didn't like it.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO Sweet Heart

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Right leaning comedy like that usually consists of jokes about how dumb the government is and how cool guns are. It’s just plain boring, stale, cliched and predictable.

Take a look instead at Parks & Recreations for a better idea of handling that sort of thing. The Ron Swanson character worked because he was the stereotypical libertarian, who also had hardcore Democrat Leslie Knope to play off of. And they still at the end of the day, respected the hell out of each other.

Tim Allen on the other hand, occasionally added some liberal dweeb as a straw-man, who always lost because Tim knew about the “good ole days”. In essence, Tim had to have give himself some sort of hero complex on LMS.

Maybe his wife played by Nancy Travis, should have been a MASSIVE character to play off and she never was. If anything, Tim needed a Democrat who would win every once in a while and not just be a joke.

Last edited by TMC; 09-04-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:38 AM   #5
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
If you go back and watch the first season, it was the typical family sitcom with very mild situations and no political stuff. It was actually kind of an abrupt switch if like me, you watched the last episode of the first season and then immediately afterwards watched the first episode of the second season.

That is part of why Alexander Krosney was fired and replaced with Amanda Fuller. It was decided to go in a different direction and she didn't like it.
Tim Allen for a lack of a better word, seemed to envision Last Man Standing as All in the Family 2.0 if we were supposed to be "laughing with" Archie Bunker instead of "laughing at him" (which was Norman Lear's intent).
Old 09-03-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
Larry Weston
Occasional Poster

Angry How controversial is this show (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
(racist, sexist, oblivious, obnoxious)
I can only agree with that statement.
I just started with season 2 and i must say im a little shocked about that show, partly already in season 1. I find it surprising, that it was OK, to air such a controversial show. I mean all that obama-bashing and all the stuff mentioned above. I'm not even involved in US politics, since im not live there, but that is quite odd to see - also the open advertising for Romney.
Once he sayd "Mankind is at top of the food-chain, and as a american were even at the summit". That really upset me.
It's almost like it upsets more, than it makes laugh.
I have only 4 seasons and i guess i won't continue.
In "Home Improvement" he was way more funny, why did he change so much ?

Last edited by Larry Weston; 09-03-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: misspelling, typpos
Larry Weston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:17 AM   #7
TMC
Forum Celebrity

I don't know how much merit this has, but I've read the suggestion that in the time spent in between "hitting it big" with Home Improvement and now with Last Man Standing, Tim Allen has spent less and less time honing his craft. In other words, he pretty much forgot how to be funny as he was in his previous roles like Home Improvement and Toy Story. On Last Man Standing, Tim Allen isn't really so much "acting" as he is simply spewing forth his own political beliefs. And yet, it’s supposed to be funny when he does this. I suppose on the show, he just sensationalizes it more than it is in reality what he’s said.