Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Current Dramas/Dramedies > Empire

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast
Fri-Yay: We're Up Schitt's Creek; Comedy Central Renews South Park for 3 More Seasons
Antenna TV Acquires That Girl for January and Perhaps More; Disney Just Rolls With It Once Again

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-21-2019, 10:52 PM   #16
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Jussie Smollett “Feels Betrayed” after $100K Bail Hearing; Says He’s Innocent
by Dominic Patten
February 21, 2019

Out on $100,000 bail and back on the "Empire" set for a stint, Jussie Smollett on Thursday insisted he is innocent of conniving a racist and homophobic assault upon himself.

Mr. Smollet is a young man of impeccable character and integrity who fiercely and solemnly maintains his innocence and feels betrayed by a system that apparently wants to skip due process and proceed directly to sentencing,” read a statement sent out late Thursday on behalf of the actor.

Today we witnessed an organized law enforcement spectacle that has no place in the American legal system,” the hyperbolic statement added. “The presumption of innocence, a bedrock in the search for justice, was trampled upon at the expense of Mr. Smollett and notably, on the eve of a Mayoral election,” it also noted, tossing more political edge into an already sharply political affair.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/jussie-...ck-1202562385/
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:44 AM   #17
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Why did the Jussie Smollett story dominate the news?

A U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant was arrested this week for planning a killing spree against prominent journalists and Democrats, yet that news was overshadowed by Smollett's indictment and arrest. "Smollett’s story prompted a flurry of attention from the beginning; his arrest turned it into a blizzard of commentary," says Matt Ford. "Cable news covered every twist and turn in elaborate detail." Ford says Smollett received more coverage than any other story this week. He wonders if Smollett was a "smokescreen." "Several major stories this week revealed deep truths about this political moment in America," he says. "None pertained to the TV actor." ALSO: Bill Maher slams Smollett for giving a gift to Fox News.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #18
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Jussie Smollett Criminal Charges Dropped; State Says “Appropriate Resolution,” Family “Thank God” – Update
by Denise Petski and Dominic Patten
March 26, 2019

Jussie Smollett’s lawyers announced today that all criminal charges have been dropped and his record expunged. However, the Illinois law enforcement aren’t letting the "Empire" actor off totally free.

Today all criminal charges against Jussie Smollett were dropped and his record has been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint against him,” attorneys Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes said in a statement provided to media outlets.

Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29th. He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgment.

After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” said state attorney Kim Foxx’s office in a statement of its own.

Coming after a suddenly called court hearing this morning in Chicago, Smollett has received what is known as a “deferred prosecution deal” from the state. Regardless, we may never know the details of the deal, as all the records have been sealed.

It is unclear what community service the actor performed and why he is letting the state keep his $100,000 that was posted on February 21.

Our son and brother is an innocent man whose name and character have been unjustly smeared,” declared the Smollett family in remarks of their own this morning.

Jussie is a son, a brother, a partner, a champion for human rights and a genuine soul who would never be capable of what he was falsely accused of,” the actor’s siblings and parents stated. “He was the victim of an assault and then falsely blamed for his own attack. This morning the truth has prevailed, and he has been vindicated.

While many were quick to rush to judgment before hearing the actual proof, we are grateful that the truth about Jussie has come to light,” the family added, after weeks of standing by Smollett’s side in his repeated court appearances.

We look forward to bringing the real perpetrators to justice. We thank God for our village and standing by us during this trying time.

Smollett, with his attorneys spoke briefly to reporters following the court hearing.

First of all I want to thank my family, my friends, the incredible people of Chicago and all over the country and the world who have prayed for me, who have supported me and who have showed me so much love. No one will ever know how much that has meant to me and I will be forever grateful. I want you to know that not for a moment was it in vain. I have been truthful and consistent on every level since day one. I would not be my mother’s son if I was capable of one drop of what I’ve been accused of,” Smollett said.

Now, while state charges have been dropped, Smollett isn’t out of the probing spotlight yet.

A federal investigation of the apparently threatening letter sent to Smollett will continue because it’s a different jurisdiction and involves the U.S. mail.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/jussie-...ys-1202582769/
Old 03-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #19
tlc38tlc38
Every day’s a Dolly day!
Forum Veteran

^No surprise.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:59 PM   #20
Svenfan1234
Carole King = Queen of Music
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38 View Post
^No surprise.
Of course he would get off the hook. The media just wants now to forget that it ever happened so they'll erase all evidence and deflect to the other side.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #21
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Livid Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Insists Jussie Smollett is Guilty: “Is There No Decency In This Man?
by Greg Evans
March 26, 2019

A visibly angry Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson dismissed Jussie Smollett’s latest insistence on his innocence and decried the prosecutors’ dismissal of criminal charges against the "Empire" actor as, in Emanuel’s words, “a whitewash.

Johnson said, as bluntly as he has before, that Smollett conducted a “hoax” to further his own financial gain.

Emanuel lambasted Smollett as selfishly exploiting hate crime laws for his own personal gain. “He took those laws and turned them inside out and upside down,” Emanuel said, repeatedly reminding reporters that a grand jury heard the case and brought the charges against Smollett.

Do I think justice was served?,” asked Johnson. “No. And I think this city is still owed an apology.

He did this all in the name of self-promotion,” Emanuel said of Smollett. “This is a white wash of justice. A grand jury could not have been clearer. Where is the accountability in the system?

The mayor repeatedly suggested that Smollett benefitted from his “position and background,” apparently referring to his celebrity and wealth, at one point even comparing the situation to the recent Varsity Blues university scandal involving Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin.

Regarding Smollett’s forfeiture of a $10,000 bond, Emanuel said the amount “doesn’t even come close to what the city spent in resources” investigating the case.

Emanuel said the “ethical cost” was even greater than the financial cost. “To use the very laws and principles and values behind the Matthew Shepherd [hate crime laws] to self-promote your career is a cost that comes to all the individuals, gay men and women, who will now be doubted” when reporting hate crimes, Emanuel said.

Our city’s reputation was dragged through the mud,” the mayor said.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/rahm-em...ce-1202582943/
Old 03-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #22
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Report: Jussie Smollett will "most likely" be dropped from Empire even after criminal charges against him were dropped

Fox is "in a tricky position over what to do with the series and one of its stars," says Deadline's Dominic Patten. "It’s a position that seems headed towards Empire coming back for another season, but most likely without Smollett, who has always claimed and continues to insist that he is innocent." As one insider tells him: “Things are so unclear and there is a feeling that this isn’t over, that there’s more to come." Patten points out that despite Smollett no longer facing 16 felony charges, the U.S. Postal Inspection Service is still investigating him for allegedly writing a fake threatening letter to himself, which could land him in prison. “The U.S. Postal Inspection Service is working closely with our law enforcement partners on this investigation,” the USPS said Wednesday.

ALSO:

Last edited by TMC; 05-09-2019 at 01:33 AM.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:19 PM   #23
king of comedy

I lost all respect for him. Now I don't know if I'll ever watch Empire again.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote