Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Salute Your Shorts links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Salute Your Shorts Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Salute Your Shorts

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Hulu Renews Love, Victor for Season 3; Archer Season 12 Premieres August 25 on FXX
Antenna TV Fall 2021 Schedule; Rewind TV Launch Schedule Beginning September 1
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 2, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman Remake for TBS; Schitt's Creek Producer Hoping to Replicate Success with Son of a Critch
Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...
Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April-August)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)

04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - The Neighborhood - Season Three
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-15-2003, 11:27 PM   #1
David
mcphee.
Forum Celebrity

Default Why Was It Cancelled

Why was this show cancelled?... It was a great show.. and it only ran for 26 episodes... on a big network liek NBC, it would be like 1 season...

v. 39 - katharine and chris

elliott, you rock.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 01:14 AM   #2
ziggy4500
Guru
Frequent Poster

nevermind
ziggy4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 10:24 AM   #3
David
mcphee.
Forum Celebrity

nevermind?
Old 02-16-2003, 07:24 PM   #4
ziggy4500
Guru
Frequent Poster

i thought i was readiing a post n the saved by the bell forum and i saw it was salute your shorts, so i had to edit. i cant think of any reason why they would cancel this show other than the executives didnt get the ratings they wanted
ziggy4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 06:15 AM   #5
Cashodeen
Hi.
Forum Fanatic

Nickelodean had issues. (Well, they still do but in a totally different way than back then.) They used to continually can awesome shows after only producing a small collection of episodes. WHY OH WHY? I'm sure it had fine ratings by Nickelodean standards. Me and all the kids I knew at the time watched it. Remember that show "Fifteen?" That was on during the time "Salute Your Shorts" and then some. That show ran on and on for 4 seasons. I highly doubt that had more ratings than "Salute Your Shorts."

Last edited by Cashodeen; 02-19-2003 at 06:59 AM.
Cashodeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 01:16 PM   #6
Brett Ferino
Forum 3K Club Member

Send a message via ICQ to Brett Ferino

Quote:
Originally posted by Cashodeen
Nickelodean had issues. (Well, they still do but in a totally different way than back then.) They used to continually can awesome shows after only producing a small collection of episodes. WHY OH WHY? I'm sure it had fine ratings by Nickelodean standards. Me and all the kids I knew at the time watched it. Remember that show "Fifteen?" That was on during the time "Salute Your Shorts" and then some. That show ran on and on for 4 seasons. I highly doubt that had more ratings than "Salute Your Shorts."
What's fifteen?
Brett Ferino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:27 PM   #7
Cashodeen
Hi.
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally psoted by Brett Ferino
What's fifteen?
Fifteen was a show that began on Nick the same time Welcome Freshman appeared. They both started in 91, and Fifteen lasted 4 seasons. It was suppose to be like a soap opera for the junior high and high school kids. I watched it a little, but I could not believe that it could have more seasons than Salute Your Shorts. See, even you didn't know what Fifteen was!! It stunk by comparison to other Nick shows.
Cashodeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:11 AM   #8
JACK The RIPPER
Occasional Poster

I think they canceled it because politicians spoke out against Budnkick and Donkey Lips because they thought they're names promoted un-ethical messages and demoralized the overall population of America
Old 06-12-2003, 01:54 PM   #9
David
mcphee.
Forum Celebrity

oh really? thats interesting...... whered u hear that?..
Old 12-13-2003, 10:13 AM   #10
David
mcphee.
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally posted by Cashodeen
Fifteen was a show that began on Nick the same time Welcome Freshman appeared. They both started in 91, and Fifteen lasted 4 seasons. It was suppose to be like a soap opera for the junior high and high school kids. I watched it a little, but I could not believe that it could have more seasons than Salute Your Shorts. See, even you didn't know what Fifteen was!! It stunk by comparison to other Nick shows.
Yeah. i even forgot what "fifteen" was, until i searched it on google
Old 06-28-2005, 03:43 PM   #11
Jake the Jew
Banned
Banned!!
Occasional Poster

nick is gay
they cancell all the good shows
Jake the Jew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:11 PM   #12
David
mcphee.
Forum Celebrity

i know im answering my own question from 2 years ago, but oh well.

i read on some online site that the reason "salute your shorts" was cancelled was that around 1991-1992, nickelodeon opened its new location in orlando, and it was cheaper there. "salute your shorts" and "hey dude" were NOT in-studio shows, therefore, it ended up being more expensive to produce, since SYS was shot in Arizona. "fifteen", which probably obviously didn't get better ratings than SYS, was probably renewed and renewed because it was cheaper to produce, as was all Nick's game shows.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:07 PM   #13
mraw
Movin' On Up!
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
i know im answering my own question from 2 years ago, but oh well.

i read on some online site that the reason "salute your shorts" was cancelled was that around 1991-1992, nickelodeon opened its new location in orlando, and it was cheaper there. "salute your shorts" and "hey dude" were NOT in-studio shows, therefore, it ended up being more expensive to produce, since SYS was shot in Arizona. "fifteen", which probably obviously didn't get better ratings than SYS, was probably renewed and renewed because it was cheaper to produce, as was all Nick's game shows.
You're right, I remember that Fifteen was taped at Nick Studios. When my family and I went on the Nickeloden Studios tour, we passed by some big windows that looked down onto the set of Fifteen.
mraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #14
Myles
Shades of Green
Frequent Poster

Ah, thanks for the clear answer, David. Even though it lasted a short run with only two seasons I still think Salute Your Shorts is one of the fondest remembered nick shows. The extra money and effort would have been worth it to continue the show.

I've always wondered why it ended and now I know. Strange because I never remember the show fifteen although Welcome Freshman is vaguely familiar.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:04 PM   #15
ThomasE
Forum Fanatic

As much as it sucked, fifteen rocked. I loved that show.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote