Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Roseanne links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Roseanne Photo Gallery

Roseanne - The Complete First Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Roseanne

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Showtime Gets Vanessa Bayer Comedy Pilot; Jeopardy! Sees Who's the GOAT on ABC Primetime
Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-27-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
andress_jade
Sharing the laughter and love.

Send a message via MSN to andress_jade Send a message via Yahoo to andress_jade
Default How big is Lanford supposed to be?

How big is Lanford Illinois supposed to be? I mean the characters talk about how much they hate living there and that there are no jobs and nothing to do. But, there is a mall there, a pretty big mall actually and a grocery store, the Buy 'N Bag.
I currently live in a town of 3,000 people. There is NOTHING to do here and I say that because there is one grocery store, one small department store, a Dollar General, Sonic, Pizza Hut, 5 gas stations, 1 small library, 2 motels, 1 hotel, 1 post office, NO movie theater, NO bowling alley, NO skating rink, 1 high school, 1 grade school and 1 middle school. There are a few more restaurants and a golf course as well as the VFW, 1 police station, and 1 fire station. We have to go 30 miles away to the nearest movie theater, skating rink, bowling alley or Wal-Mart. I get so bored, it's pathetic. I would have liked to have lived in Lanford because I used to live in a city that has 350,000 people. It has 7 Wal-Marts, 2 malls, too many restaurants to even mention, etc. I only moved to where I currently live, the smaller town to be close to my father who was sick and dying of cancer. I ended up getting a job here, so I am stuck here until I find something else somewhere else and find the transportation to get me there.
The characters make it sound like Lanford is little. Doesn't sound terribly little to me. Compared to Chicago, yes but it seemed like a good sized town.
Just my observation.
In Memoriam: John Ritter, Hayden Rorke, Sidney Sheldon, Bob Denver, Don Knotts, Andy Griffith, Elizabeth Montgomery, Bea Arthur, Estelle Getty, Rue McClanahan, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, David Angell, Christopher Reeve, Shirley Temple Black, Larry Hagman, Lucille Ball, Patrick Swayze, Robin Williams, Alan Thicke, Mary Tyler Moore, Prince, George Michael, Jim Nabors, John Mahoney, Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher.
andress_jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
SpottableMouse
Occasional Poster

This is actually a good question, and I've wondered the same thing myself. I live in a town of about 6,000 people, and we have no mall, movie theatre, or anything. We have one grocery store, one plaza that has a McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Subway, etc. But just like you, we have to drive 30 miles to get to a WalMart, mall, or movie theatre. We have a small bowling alley too. It just seems odd to me that the Connor kids were always within walking distance of everything they wanted to do yet they always complained about how small and "phony" everything was.
SpottableMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Forum Legend

I think this is a really hard question to answer - I have lived in a number of small towns and they can be pretty varied in size and yet may or may not have a mall or movie theater or other amenities.

I have lived in a town of 68,000 people that had 2 malls (both pathetically small), no movie theater, countless gas stations and 5 or 6 big grocery stores - yet it seemed like there was never anything to do and not many jobs in town

- a town of 80,000 with only 1 mall that was pretty good, a great movie theater, 5 grocery stores, a Sears and a Wal-mart and a ton of neat coffee shops - this town was always full of exciting stuff to do and had 5 or 6 large technology companies with lots of good jobs (I think this was why it was so busy).

- a town of 17,000 with 2 tiny strip malls, one WITH a movie theatre, 5 gas stations, 2 grocery stores and ABSOLUTELY nothing to do, unless you like golf or fishing.

- a town of 7,000 with one small mall, a tiny movie theater, 5 or 6 gas stations, 2 golf courses, very few jobs - it didn't seem like there was anything to do there - unless you liked outdoor recreation activities.

MY guess is that Lanford is probably somewhere in the middle of those; maybe in the 20-30 thousand range. They definitely didn't seem to have many jobs in town, so I'm thinking it couldn't have been much larger than that.
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
Will and Grace Fanatic
be happy

that's what i never understood. I've lived in two different small towns and they didn't have any malls. It was on the coast of Washington so we had to cross the bridge to Oregon to go to a mall. Even to go to a costco. That mall seems to be pretty big too.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
kramer
Re-gifter
Forum Regular

This is a great question. I have thought about this too. I could be wrong but I think that theme park David worked at was in Lanford. I would think that would make it a good size city.

On the other hand, the town I live in has a 100,000 + population with no other big cities closer than 3 hours. We have 3 private universities and an air force base, and there is not a damn thing to do. Kids graduate and then move to a city that has jobs.

Curly: Certainly! We're all incompetent
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:21 AM   #6
browneyes106

My guess for the population would be 5,000 to 10,000 people.
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
WayTooNostalgic
Occasional Poster

Default The size of Lanford

Hello! I hope you all don't mind a newbie jumping in, but I think I can help unravel the mystery of Lanford's size.

Judging by dialogue in the series, Lanford is somewhere in North Central Illinois (somewhere near Moline or Elgin.) I come from East Central Illinois (Decatur) which, if Lanford were real, would be about a 60-90 minute drive.

The way a lot of smaller towns in Illinois are situated, you would often find several smaller towns grouped nearby, with a medium sized city within short (10 minutes at most) driving time.

For example, my hometown of Decatur has about 86,000 people. Adjacent to my city are several small towns: Warrensburg, Forsyth, Mt Zion, Harristown, Niantic, Argenta, Oreana, Boody, Mowequa, Blue Mound, etc. All of those towns, despite being very close to the larger Decatur, have populations ranging from as many as 5,000 to as little as 200.

Having all these towns so close means that while the larger city (Decatur) will have the most shopping/entertainment options, the smaller towns "share" these types of establishments with each other. For example, Mt Zion has its own small downtown, and a Wal Mart and movie theatre are very close by (while technically in Decatur, that area is considered part of Mt Zion.)

Mowequa has a bowling alley, which would also be close by for people living in Blue Mound or Boody. Forsyth, which is directly north of Decatur has the largest mall (Decatur's own malls died out in the early 90s, apart from several strip malls) despite being one of the smaller towns. There is also a multiplex there (Mt Zion has one as well.)

Judging by what little we see of exterior Lanford, I always suspected it was about the size of Mt Zion, Illinois. The bowling alley, mall, etc may have been technically in Lanford, or nearby. The closest medium-sized city would probably be Moline, Elgin, Joliet or Aurora. In the tornado episode, they stated that tornadoes were moving along Rt 36, which was most likely a mistake, as Rt 36 goes right through Central Illinois (right through Decatur, actually!) The county mentioned as the one Lanford is in is real (though I can't remember the name) and is located in the North Central part of the state.

Knowing small-town Illinois as I do, I'd say Lanford is a pretty accurate depiction of life in a small town (as opposed to a rural village or medium-sized city.) All of the places the Conners go, such as the grocery store, the mall, the movie theater, even a small amusement park such as the one where David worked, would be within short driving distance of a small Central Illinois town. This is further demonstrated by having a large factory (Wellman's) which tend to be the centerpiece of such towns. Another example of a town like Lanford would be Clinton, IL. Clinton has a couple grocery stores, a small cinema (I think, not too sure) and a nuclear power plant, which is the cities largest employer (as Wellman's was in Lanford.)

Hope this helps in some way! Writing all this makes me a little homesick, as I moved to California four years ago. That's one thing I love about watching Roseanne, it takes me back to my first thirty years of life, growing up in Illinois!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
principehomura
80s/90s tv fan
Forum Regular

Location: SEA, NY, CHI, COL | WA, BOS, BAL, MIA | KY, VT | Twin Peaks, Lanford, Dillon, Sunnydale, Stars Hollow | Springfield, Duckburg | Everwood

Thanks WayTooNostalgic!
That was useful to me =)
Twin Peaks, The Wire, Deadwood, Justified, Miami Vice, Hill Street Blues
principehomura is offline   Reply With Quote