Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Showtime Gets Vanessa Bayer Comedy Pilot; Jeopardy! Sees Who's the GOAT on ABC Primetime
Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #31
3sparky
Occasional Poster

Does anyone know in which episodes Danny gets a spanking in the Partridge Family?
3sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #32
mstewart
mstewart

Send a message via Yahoo to mstewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by andress_jade
There is an episode of The Andy Griffith Show where Opie has a friend who is spoiled. He thinks to get what you want you throw temper tantrums and cry. It worked for the boy at first, until Andy took the boys bike. The boy and his father came to the sheriff's office to get the bike back, and then Andy showed the boys father the light. The boys father took him out back and spanked him.

In an episode of Mama's Family, Thelma is watching the reverend's son or grandson and the boy is a total brat! Once the boys parents or grandparents get back Thelma tells him what he did but they don't believe her at first until the boy acts out in front of them. He then gets the whipping of his life!

Spanking isn't encouraged as much anymore as a form of discipline. A lot of "professionals" think that other reinforcements work better. My opinion is that if a child misbehaves more than once for the same offense and is punished numerous times, like being put in the corner, privileges taken away, etc. and they still don't learn, then spanking is the next step. In this day and age, spanking is considered abuse and I disagree with that. Abuse is when a parent hits a child on the face, pulls their arm, pushes them against a wall, or knocks them to the floor, things like that. Now a swift smack on the bottom, gets the point across. At least it does to me. I was spanked for something, I got the picture. I was abused as well, so I know the difference. Why do you think their are so many children out there in this day and age that act out so much? There parents don't spank them. "Spare the rod and spoil the child."
If my parents were still with us today they would had been under the jail with the key thrown out. We got our tails whipped. Their m.o. was show us up in public we will beat you to the punch. I was traumatized by spankings or whippiings. Dr James Dobson, Focus of the Family ministry, states that parents should raised children to be the type that everyone wants to have around. We have allowed the government let children have more rights than adults and it was designed to be that. Yes, I am an advocate of spanking but do it out of love and not anger.
mstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #33
Utahspanky
First Time Poster

I dont know the exact episode. but i remember it had something to do with danny Blackmailing someone and mom found out about it. You can see Danny Rubbing his bottom afterwards after it happened.

on a website it mentioned a quote from mrs partridge "Danny you and I and my Hairbrush need to have a talk" and when the scene comes back danny is rubbing his bottom.. thats what i read off another site.. again no episode name

Mike
Utahspanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #34
megamanj2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
Mama: Roger give me your belt!
Roger: No Mama, No!

Was that the ep. where Raj, Dwayne and Rerun got caught trying shoplifting to buy a present for Mama Thomas and they ended up in jail?

And then it gets even better from there:

Mama Thomas tells Dwayne and Rerun to go home to their mamas and then Mama later spanks him in that same episode after Raj refuses to tell the truth about how he got the notion to steal from the store.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #35
jehobden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahspanky
I dont know the exact episode. but i remember it had something to do with danny Blackmailing someone and mom found out about it. You can see Danny Rubbing his bottom afterwards after it happened.

on a website it mentioned a quote from mrs partridge "Danny you and I and my Hairbrush need to have a talk" and when the scene comes back danny is rubbing his bottom.. thats what i read off another site.. again no episode name

Mike
I don't remember the episode name(s) either, but someone could look it up. I'm pretty sure it was either when Danny lied about something, and it ended up in the Sunday newspaper, or when he was caught selling Keith's possessions. I remember Danny rubbing his bottom afterward too.

Ricky spanked Lucy at least once on I Love Lucy as well, I think when she was caught having bought a hat before Ricky lost his temper.

Jonathan Garvey was about to spank Andy at the end of Act 3 of LHotP "The Cheaters" for cheating with Nellie Oleson. Alice was protesting the impending spanking, but Andy says "It's ok, Ma. It'll make me feel better.". I remember seeing that show for the first time and being angry because I forgot there was one more act to come. I was really happy when the show came back from commercial and Nellie got hers. By the way, Harriet was swatting Nellie, if not spanking her, not because Nellie had done anything wrong but because she'd embarrassed Harriet!
jehobden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #36
Furienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by andress_jade
Spanking isn't encouraged as much anymore as a form of discipline. A lot of "professionals" think that other reinforcements work better. My opinion is that if a child misbehaves more than once for the same offense and is punished numerous times, like being put in the corner, privileges taken away, etc. and they still don't learn, then spanking is the next step. In this day and age, spanking is considered abuse and I disagree with that. Abuse is when a parent hits a child on the face, pulls their arm, pushes them against a wall, or knocks them to the floor, things like that. Now a swift smack on the bottom, gets the point across. At least it does to me. I was spanked for something, I got the picture. I was abused as well, so I know the difference. Why do you think their are so many children out there in this day and age that act out so much? There parents don't spank them. "Spare the rod and spoil the child."
Here in Sweden, spanking has been illegal since 1979 (five years before I was born), and I guess 99 % of all Swedes disapprove of it today. So I have a hard time agreeing with you on this. Yeah sure, one smack on the bottom maybe isn't abuse. But as soon as you allow the least bit of violence, it can so easily get out of hand.

Having said that, I can't believe that no one has mentioned when Roseanne spanked DJ after he had taken a joyride in a car, when he was only twelve years old!
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #37
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanj2004

Was that the ep. where Raj, Dwayne and Rerun got caught trying shoplifting to buy a present for Mama Thomas and they ended up in jail?

And then it gets even better from there:

Mama Thomas tells Dwayne and Rerun to go home to their mamas and then Mama later spanks him in that same episode after Raj refuses to tell the truth about how he got the notion to steal from the store.
Yes! That's the episode!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #38
Jack Gomez
Felipe's son
Forum Regular

Tommy got spanked by his mother on Dennis the Menace, because he took one of her plants without asking. It's not shown, but it's implied by his comments to Dennis and also him rubbing his backside.
Jack Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #39
robmic
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gomez
Tommy got spanked by his mother on Dennis the Menace, because he took one of her plants without asking. It's not shown, but it's implied by his comments to Dennis and also him rubbing his backside.
Didn't Ernie get spanked in a episode of "My Three Sons"?

James in "Little House on the Prairie"- NOT deserved

Laura in "Little House on the Prairie"- not actually a spanking, the teacher swatted her hand with a ruler- NOT deserved

Barbara in "One Day at a Time"- sort of deserved

Ann slapped Julie hard one time in "One Day at a Time"- deserved

Alex in "One Day at a Time"- deserved
robmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #40
tvfan25
Forum Regular

How about when Amy Farrah Fowler got spanked by Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory? She didn't do anything wrong, but she sure enjoyed it!
tvfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #41
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

DJ Conner -Roseanne (deserved it but Roseanne felt guilty)
Nellie Olsen - Little House (Deservedly so)
Roger Thomas -What's Happening (It looked like he deserved it buy really didn't)
Dee Thomas- What's Happening (Soooo deserved it)
Old 01-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #42
MacLeaper
Child of the 80s

Quote:
Here in Sweden, spanking has been illegal since 1979 (five years before I was born), and I guess 99 % of all Swedes disapprove of it today. So I have a hard time agreeing with you on this. Yeah sure, one smack on the bottom maybe isn't abuse. But as soon as you allow the least bit of violence, it can so easily get out of hand.
That seems really overreaching for the government to tell parents how they can discipline their children. I understand the concern about making sure spanking doesn't turn into abuse; however, I don't think that should ever be a problem for loving parents. I really feel it's very true when a loving parent tells their child that "This will hurt me more than it hurts you" when they are giving them a spanking.
Of course, it's also Biblical to use spanking as a disciplinary method. The principle that must be kept in mind is stated in James 1:20 - "The anger of man does not accomplish the righteousness of God." I think parents should be careful to remember this and not to discipline their children when they are angry because of their child's disobedience and defiance. It's good to have some time to calm down some and make sure that the discipline is truly given out of love and not out of vengeance.
Proverbs 13:24 says, "Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them."
So that's another verse to consider for the Biblical Christian perspective. Another great passage to consider is Hebrews 12:1-13. In it, The Bible talks about how God The Father disciplines His children just as human fathers discipline their children. Though no discipline is pleasant at the time (in fact, it's painful!)- in the end, we respect our parents for doing it because it is for our good ultimately and it helps produce a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

As to characters who got spankings on television, most of the ones I know of offhand have already been named. I do know Little Archie has gotten spankings in the comics and I daresay he probably has gotten such discipline in the '60s cartoon series version or The New Archies cartoon from the '80s, but I can't say that for sure.
Apparently, there have been either threats of spankings or actual spankings on Flipper, The Waltons and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman- to a name a few shows that haven't been listed yet.
(http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FAB27944373591)
"Ha, I kill me!" - ALF
"I am The Way, The Truth and The Life. No man comes to The Father but by Me."- Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
MacLeaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #43
Furienna

MacLeaper: We have to remember that even the worst abuse starts with one first blow. That's why it's best to never start spanking. The episode where Roseanne hits DJ really handles this. Dan says that DJ deserved it, but Roseanne is afraid of becoming like her abusive father, and Jackie sure understands her feelings. Yeah, it's easy to get angry. But even when children really misbehave, surely there are others ways of disciplin? And the Bible says a lot of different things, that even most devout Christians wouldn't do today...
Old 01-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #44
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Furienna: I was spanked as a child and I am glad that I was. If I have children, I do plan to use the rod of correction if I need to. Spanking does not always have to go to the abusive side, we must remember that. Me being spanked helped to keep me in line. Some parents became bullies with it and do it in angry mode and it should not be done that way according to the bible. If a parent plans to use that method of punishment, then it is important that it is not used as a way of getting rid of self aggression. Doing it that way can be a major issue. I do agree with MacLeaper on that view.

Spanking illegal in Sweden? I will admit that I wished that I grew up there. Then I would have dodged spankings at home and being paddled at school. LOLOLOL.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 PM   #45
Furienna

Sweden isn't the only country, where spanking is now illegal, we were just the first one to take that step. I know that many Americans still approve of it, but fewer and fewer people in Europe do.