Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Miracle Workers Returns to TBS; ABC's Summer Fun & Games Lineup Renewed for 2020
Lifetime's Winter Ripped from the Headlines; PIX11 Holiday Lineup
Showtime Gets Vanessa Bayer Comedy Pilot; Jeopardy! Sees Who's the GOAT on ABC Primetime
Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #46
sigmapi30
Lucille Ball RULES!!
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to sigmapi30

it wasnt brutal..i have a copy of the shows...yeah rehashed storylines but it was cute. if ya love lucy, ya gotta love Life With Lucy...i hope the powers that be dont disregard it...
sigmapi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #47
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmapi30
what was wrong with the Tennessee Ernie Ford episode? i've never seen it.
Everything: a script with no credibility or logic; an annoying hillbilly theme; a long sequence of pointless yelling by the whole cast (which will make you want to mute your TV); and some annoying Hee Haw-style singing and dancing.

Last edited by LittleRickyII; 02-23-2009 at 02:16 AM.
LittleRickyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #48
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno123
While I really can't comment on episodes of Here's Lucy since I have not seen all the shows, the episodes of The Lucy Show written by Bob O'Brien have been, well .... not all that great in my opinion. I'm not saying that they were horrible shows, I just really did not care for the majority of the shows that I have seen for The Lucy Show that he wrote. I hope I can change my opinion with Here's Lucy.
I agree with you about many of Bob O'Brien's "Lucy Show" scripts, that they were uninspired. But there were some exceptions ("Lucy Meets the Berles"; "Lucy and John Wayne"; "Lucy Goes to London"; "Lucy Gets a Roommate"; "Lucy Dates Dean Martin"; "Lucy Gets Her Maid"; "Lucy, the Meter Maid" and "Lucy and the Plumber"). And the same can be said about his early "Here's Lucy" scripts; they were often not up to par. But I think in the later seasons of Here's Lucy, he came around to being pretty consistently a good writer for Lucy and served her well.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #49
Benno123
Jenna Fischer Rocks My World!!

Send a message via AIM to Benno123 Send a message via Yahoo to Benno123

With Bob O'Brien and what I saw on The Lucy Show, it seemed like for every 1 great episode it was followed by 2 or 3 weaker ones written by him. I think he wrote that "Main Street USA" episode which I can't stand, but not everything one creates can be considered great. Afterall, look at how great of writers Bob Carroll, Jr. and Madelyn Pugh Davis were for Lucy, and yet they wrote "Lucy Goes To Scotland!" I don't hold that against them, so I'm hoping that by getting to see Here's Lucy I can see more creative shows written by O'Brien (which I am sure I will).
Benno123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #50
LittleRickyII

Quote:
With Bob O'Brien and what I saw on The Lucy Show, it seemed like for every 1 great episode it was followed by 2 or 3 weaker ones written by him. I think he wrote that "Main Street USA" episode which I can't stand, but not everything one creates can be considered great. Afterall, look at how great of writers Bob Carroll, Jr. and Madelyn Pugh Davis were for Lucy, and yet they wrote "Lucy Goes To Scotland!" I don't hold that against them, so I'm hoping that by getting to see Here's Lucy I can see more creative shows written by O'Brien (which I am sure I will).
I agree with your dislike of that "Main Street" episode; I hate it, too. But I've never understood why people have such strong feelings about the Scotland episode of ILL. A hatred of the "Drafted" episode I can certainly understand, but the Scotland episode has some funny moments, good tunes, and is pretty creative, and a nice diversion from the standard "Lucy" formula.

And yes, you raise a good point about Bob O'Brien having a mixed bag of good and bad. Even later on in "Here's Lucy" he had some turkeys (like the one with Andy Griffith), but I still think he delivered more good than bad.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #51
Benno123

"Drafted" I totally understand, the only saving grace of that show is that the "Jingle Bells" tag aired during that episode originally in 1951. "Scotland" to me just seems like a take off of the Operetta episode. I have not seen this episode in its colorized state, but people who disliked the episode said they seem to have a new appreciatation for the show seeing it in color. Perhaps when/if I have that chance then my opinion will change. But I don't think either "Drafted" or "Scotland" are the nadir episodes of a Lucy series. I really don't think this is one, but if forced I would have to say the "Main Street USA" episode.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #52
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Not really on topic, but does anyone think Life With Lucy will ever see the light of day on DVD? I never saw it, but my mom did and she said it was brutal!
You know what was most brutal about it? The audience. I popped in my Forever, Darling DVD (one I made) last night and was watching in bed. Right after iton the DVD, I put on an episode of LWL and since I'm lazy, I let the disc run for awhile before I shut it off and went to sleep. Gale comes down the stairs into the kitchen: Audience goes wild. Lucy comes down the stairs: Audience is louder than a jet engine. Larry and Ann come down the stairs: Audience cheers. Seriously, any time anyone made an initial entrance, the audience went nuts! Realllllly distracting. I get that they were glad to see Lucy; but Ann and Larry?
dawsongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #53
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsongirl
You know what was most brutal about it? The audience. I popped in my Forever, Darling DVD (one I made) last night and was watching in bed. Right after it, I put an episode of LWL and since I'm lazy, I let it run for awhile before I shut it off and went to sleep. Gale comes down the stairs into the kitchen: Audience goes wild. Lucy comes down the stairs: Audience is louder than a jet engine. Larry and Ann come down the stairs: Audience cheers. Seriously, any time anyone made an initial entrance, the audience went nuts! Realllllly distracting. I get that they were glad to see Lucy; but Ann and Larry?
Oh man!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:58 AM   #54
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsongirl
You know what was most brutal about it? The audience. I popped in my Forever, Darling DVD (one I made) last night and was watching in bed. Right after iton the DVD, I put on an episode of LWL and since I'm lazy, I let the disc run for awhile before I shut it off and went to sleep. Gale comes down the stairs into the kitchen: Audience goes wild. Lucy comes down the stairs: Audience is louder than a jet engine. Larry and Ann come down the stairs: Audience cheers. Seriously, any time anyone made an initial entrance, the audience went nuts! Realllllly distracting. I get that they were glad to see Lucy; but Ann and Larry?
Well, it was also 1986, and by that point viewers had been exposed to more than ten years of over-reacting "Happy Days" and "Laverne & Shirley" studio audiences. I know this sounds like ageism, but let's face it, Lucy and Gale Gordon were too old to be trying to pull off physical comedy stunts. Other than the cute kid who played the grandson, they had a pretty weak supporting cast. And the scripts were mediocre. Compound that with the fact that they scheduled the show on Saturday nights, a night that tends to have low viewership. And also, all three of Lucy's previous sitcoms were in heavy rotation at that time; thus, Lucy was actually competing against her own younger self by this point. (TBS was the biggest cable channel back then and had "The Lucy Show" on every day; "Here's Lucy" had been syndicated fairly widely for several years beginning in 1981; and "I Love Lucy" was everywhere.) If they had come up with a unique concept that would have given viewers a real reason to stay in on Saturday night, it might have worked. But instead, it was a retread/lesser version of what viewers were already able to see any day of the week.

Last edited by LittleRickyII; 02-24-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #55
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:
"Drafted" I totally understand, the only saving grace of that show is that the "Jingle Bells" tag aired during that episode originally in 1951. "Scotland" to me just seems like a take off of the Operetta episode. I have not seen this episode in its colorized state, but people who disliked the episode said they seem to have a new appreciatation for the show seeing it in color. Perhaps when/if I have that chance then my opinion will change. But I don't think either "Drafted" or "Scotland" are the nadir episodes of a Lucy series. I really don't think this is one, but if forced I would have to say the "Main Street USA" episode.
"Hey what do you say, are you wishin' what I'm wishin', what do you say we get together and start a big petition".....I haven't seen that episode in at least 20 years.....I had no idea people didn't like it....as a child I loved that episode and the songs still sticks in my head...I think I got the lyrics right from memory....It was a broadway type musical Lucy Show ep (don't forget Jackie Gleason was singing up a storm with musical "Honeymooners" episodes during the same period) I liked "Main street" due to it being a two parter and the simple little town they were trying to save! As for my least favorite ILL eps, I agree with you guys...Drafted is just a silly early premise, but really season 1 of ILL is my least favorite.....I dislike "The Operetta", "Ricky's School Play" & yes "Scotland", even though in color it is amazing to see but everytime I watch it I say to myself, "I wish they perfectly and beautifully colorized an episode I like or a classic one!" BTW speaking of the bonus disc, I managed to get a borrowed copy after talking a young friend who discovered lucy into buying the boxset, just so I could get a copy of the bonus disc....the movie is amazing to see, such a curiosity and seeing anything new is always such a treat...they really need to release that bonus disc separately.........instead CBS/Paramount announces yesterday 2/23/09 two silly comedy and action compliation DVD's containing one episode each of several differnt series....like someone is actually going to watch repeated viewings of the same one Brady Bunch episode.....what a stupid idea.....just like mini-sodes....I've ranted enough!
Old 02-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #56
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVeeCloset
"Hey what do you say, are you wishin' what I'm wishin', what do you say we get together and start a big petition".....I haven't seen that episode in at least 20 years.....I had no idea people didn't like it....as a child I loved that episode and the songs still sticks in my head...I think I got the lyrics right from memory....It was a broadway type musical Lucy Show ep (don't forget Jackie Gleason was singing up a storm with musical "Honeymooners" episodes during the same period) I liked "Main street" due to it being a two parter and the simple little town they were trying to save! As for my least favorite ILL eps, I agree with you guys...Drafted is just a silly early premise, but really season 1 of ILL is my least favorite.....I dislike "The Operetta", "Ricky's School Play" & yes "Scotland", even though in color it is amazing to see but everytime I watch it I say to myself, "I wish they perfectly and beautifully colorized an episode I like or a classic one!"
I agree with you about the song. It was a great song and it sticks in my head as well. But beyond the song, it was a pretty boring episode, and the script was a bit absurd. And remember, they made a two-part episode out of this. There was hardly enough of a story for a single episode, much less two. But yes, the music was great. It's interesting you mention the musical Honeymooners. It's long been my suspicion that Lucy thought, Hey, Gleason has turned his sitcom into a musical, so why can't I? But frankly, those musical Honeymooners do not hold up as well as the original. When's the last time you saw the musical Honeymooners broadcast on TV? As for your least favorites, I'm surprised you like "Main Street" but don't like "The Operetta"! "The Operetta" is absolutely one of my favorite "I Love Lucy" episodes. And did you know it was Lucille Ball's favorite?

Oh, and before this conversation gets too out of hand, maybe we should try to redirect it back to "Here's Lucy"? I start out warning people not to watch the Tennessee Ernie Ford episode of "Here's Lucy" and somehow the conversation gets diverted and, instead of talking about "Here's Lucy" at all, we're talking about "I Love Lucy" and "The Lucy Show" So anyway, I'm very excited that the whole "Here's Lucy" series is coming out on DVD!
Old 02-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #57
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
I agree with you about the song. It was a great song and it sticks in my head as well. But beyond the song, it was a pretty boring episode, and the script was a bit absurd. And remember, they made a two-part episode out of this. There was hardly enough of a story for a single episode, much less two. But yes, the music was great. It's interesting you mention the musical Honeymooners. It's long been my suspicion that Lucy thought, Hey, Gleason has turned his sitcom into a musical, so why can't I? But frankly, those musical Honeymooners do not hold up as well as the original. When's the last time you saw the musical Honeymooners broadcast on TV? As for your least favorites, I'm surprised you like "Main Street" but don't like "The Operetta"! "The Operetta" is absolutely one of my favorite "I Love Lucy" episodes. And did you know it was Lucille Ball's favorite?
Actually "The Color Honeymooners" as the musical ones are now referred to have been running on cable's "American Life TV" for nearly 5 years on a weekly basis.....and of course they are all available on 4 volumes from MPI....but I agree they do not hold up and are barely watchable, I have them all for historical reasons............no I never enjoyed musical episodes of "Lucy" except for "main street", yes it was a stretched two parter, thats' why I guess I had the song still stuck in my mind because I remember it being sung over and over again in the episode.....very broadway as well as don't forget Lucy was doing Mame, etc by 1974........I think she loved big production and yes there could be something to the Gleason connection.....don't forget her special with Jackie will be out June 30 on MPI with the Dean Martin one as well!

As for getting "off topic" I totally agree with you but that is one of the downsides of life here at "Sitcoms".....but it keeps the thread alive as we prepare for "Here's Lucy" from MPI this summer....and don't forget I notified www.tvshowsondvd.com when I got an advancer of "Lucy & Desi: A Home Movie" which confirmed the rumored releases of "Here's Lucy" which made "shows" contact MPI to confirm. hope all that makes sense.......
TeeVeeCloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #58
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Actually "The Color Honeymooners" as the musical ones are now referred to have been running on cable's "American Life TV" for nearly 5 years on a weekly basis.....and of course they are all available on 4 volumes from MPI....but I agree they do not hold up and are barely watchable, I have them all for historical reasons
Same here. I bought the first "Color Honeymooners" volume a few years ago and never finished watching them. I knew that it had been on American Life, but wasn't aware it still is. But I suspect that the majority of cable TV providers don't carry that network, so for most people, it's as if it isn't on.

Quote:
............no I never enjoyed musical episodes of "Lucy" except for "main street", yes it was a stretched two parter, thats' why I guess I had the song still stuck in my mind because I remember it being sung over and over again in the episode.....very broadway as well as don't forget Lucy was doing Mame, etc by 1974........I think she loved big production and yes there could be something to the Gleason connection.....don't forget her special with Jackie will be out June 30 on MPI with the Dean Martin one as well!
I've never seen Lucy's special with Gleason. I remember when it first aired and the advertisements that were on that week promoting it. But it was on after my bedtime, so I didn't get to watch. Now, after all these years, I can.

Quote:
As for getting "off topic" I totally agree with you but that is one of the downsides of life here at "Sitcoms".....but it keeps the thread alive as we prepare for "Here's Lucy" from MPI this summer
I'm not blaming you or anybody else. I'm just as responsible as anybody. It's a natural progression of a conversation. I'm just saying . . .

Quote:
....and don't forget I notified www.tvshowsondvd.com when I got an advancer of "Lucy & Desi: A Home Movie" which confirmed the rumored releases of "Here's Lucy" which made "shows" contact MPI to confirm. hope all that makes sense.......
And thank you for doing that!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #59
Benno123

If you want to talk about bad songs on TV shows, the Honeymooners from the 1969-1970 season with Joey Heatherton and that song "Beautiful Love" or whatever it was has to be, without a doubt, the worse song ever produced on television. "We're talking about love, love, love, beautiful love." Yuck, that was torture to sit through, the saving grace being that Jackie or Art did not perform that song!

I've decided to watch "Lucy Goes to Scotland" again here soon when I have a chance just because my friend TeeVeeCloset said he always enjoyed it. I've decided to clear my mind of past thoughts of the episode and watch it. I will admit it is one of the very few on the DVD's that I have not watched, so I'll watch it when I have a chance. (In black and white as I don't have the complete box set with the bonus material).

Again, I can't say it enough that all aspects of Here's Lucy I'm looking forward to. As this being the only Lucille Ball series I have not seen many episodes of, I am looking forward to discovering new shows in what is for me the "lost Lucy episodes!"

And speaking of the release of Lucy's specials on DVD, I believe the "Lucy Gets Lucky" special that will be released in June along with the Gleason special was written by Bob O'Brien. I don't have any information here in the room with me, but going by memory I believe he wrote that episode. The special I'm looking forward to getting released is "Happy Anniversary and Goodbye."
Old 02-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #60
sigmapi30
Lucille Ball RULES!!
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to sigmapi30

I just keep checking every day for the box art. wonder when we will get to see!!! I am almost nuts over this!! LOL
sigmapi30 is offline   Reply With Quote