Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #31
Jude The Obscure
Retired

GREAT NEWS ALL AROUND!!!!!!!!

Now this thread subject can be changed to "2009"!!!
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #32
sigmapi30
Lucille Ball RULES!!
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to sigmapi30

LOL thats pretty cool that you are credited on the net teeveecloset!!
sigmapi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #33
storrs19
B&W TV Lover
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to storrs19 Send a message via MSN to storrs19

About freakin' time! My favorite Lucille Ball series is finally getting it's just dues. I hope that "Lucy Calls The President" will be one of the specials they release in the future as well.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #34
Lee G
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

MPI is a great studio. I'm not really a Lucy fan but I love the superb job MPI did with Family Affair. I wish MPI had been the DVD issuing studio for The Bill Cosby Show, they would not abandon the series like Shout Factory has done. Comparing MPI and Shout Factory, I think MPI is by far the superior company.
Lee G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #35
Jude The Obscure
Retired

I concur that MPI is great!!
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #36
Benno123
Jenna Fischer Rocks My World!!

Send a message via AIM to Benno123 Send a message via Yahoo to Benno123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVeeCloset
And I happy and proud to admit my true identity has been revealed in the news item at www.tvshowsondvd.com regarding "Here's Lucy"........yes the name mentioned as being the first to break the news is your poster here teeveecloset.

I do want to give credit to the member that started this thread when he first officially did get the news from lucie Arnaz herself back in November 2008.....funny at the time in the first post in this thread Lucie said she didn't know about the status of "The Mothers-in-law" and
now we get word officially on the same day from MPI that both series are being released!
I found the posting on the We Love Lucy forum from "Shemp" and posted what he said there, so I give Shemp credit for getting the word out. Shemp, where ever you may be, you were the first and original stooge, and now you're the first and original person to get the word out. A big "Eeeb beeb beeb beeb" to ya!

News of the Mothers In Law I was not surprised, since the Arnaz children also own that series and with the new deal they have with MPI I wasn't surprised to see that listed. I was, however, shocked that the series was coming out so quickly!

This is great news all around for Lucy fans and fans of comedy, TV on DVD, and so on. I'm hoping that an official release of Lucy's 1964 "Lucille Ball Comedy Hour" with Bob Hope comes out, as well as "Lucy in London" and a lot of things. The only special I can see problems with would be her Nashville special, and that would be because of music rights. Then again, MPI being MPI may just get the rights after all. This news made my day!
Benno123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #37
sigmapi30
Lucille Ball RULES!!
Forum Regular

Ya know, I dont know about other MPI releases but for Dark Shadows they released a new "season" (40 episodes) every other month. Wouldn't it be great to have all of the Here's Lucy season sets in under a year!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #38
Benno123

I don't know if the release will be as quick as every other month, but with this agreement with the Arnaz children, and looking at the speed that things are already being released (the specials starting in June, Here's Lucy later in the summer) I bet that by this time next year we have atleast the first three seasons already out, if not more!

I told my wife the other night I'm more excited about this than any other release as I have only seen the episodes included on the Shout! release, as well as a couple others. Out of the 144 shows, I have probably only seen maybe 35 shows, no more than 40, so I have a lot of Lucy to get to see for the first time!

On a side note, as someone stated about MPI, the overall treatment and care of their releases is something that I have always thought was good. The only show that I wish they would redo as release are the lost episodes of The Honeymooners, but MPI has been saying for years that the shows were going to get a complete re-release at some point. I hope that this is true, but I feel that we are going to get a very high quality release with this. The one downside I see to this is that, unless I'm mistaken, is that I have not seen many MPI releases in stores like Best Buy and Walmart. I'm not saying that they're not there, but I mean releases like MPI's "The Color Honeymooners" or when they released "The Beverly Hillbillies" or "The Doris Day Show." I could be mistaken, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I hope that Here's Lucy will be easily available in stores outside of the Barnes and Noble and Borders type stores, and not something that is just available online.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #39
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVeeCloset
And I happy and proud to admit my true identity has been revealed in the news item at www.tvshowsondvd.com regarding "Here's Lucy"........yes the name mentioned as being the first to break the news is your poster here teeveecloset.

I do want to give credit to the member that started this thread when he first officially did get the news from lucie Arnaz herself back in November 2008.....funny at the time in the first post in this thread Lucie said she didn't know about the status of "The Mothers-in-law" and
now we get word officially on the same day from MPI that both series are being released!
MIL is getting a release too? Cool.
dawsongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #40
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno123
I don't know if the release will be as quick as every other month, but with this agreement with the Arnaz children, and looking at the speed that things are already being released (the specials starting in June, Here's Lucy later in the summer) I bet that by this time next year we have at least the first three seasons already out, if not more!
Don't count on that. It took about three years before MPI released all five seasons of "The Doris Day Show"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno123
The one downside I see to this is that, unless I'm mistaken, is that I have not seen many MPI releases in stores like Best Buy and Walmart.
I remember seeing "The Doris Day Show" in Best Buy.
LittleRickyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #41
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmapi30
Ya know, I dont know about other MPI releases but for Dark Shadows they released a new "season" (40 episodes) every other month. Wouldn't it be great to have all of the Here's Lucy season sets in under a year!!!
I greatly doubt that will happen. It took three years before all five seasons of "The Doris Day Show" were released.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #42
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsongirl
I like it better than The Lucy Show by far. IMO, Lucy was more natural at times, just being a goofy mom. Not that her and Harry didn't get into any wacky situations... lol

I also like the relationship between Lucy and the kids. Just clicked well, which I suppose was because they were family already, but they still could have looked like they had no rapport.

I think Gale was top-notch here.
I agree for the most part. "Here's Lucy" was much, much better than the final three seasons of "The Lucy Show" mainly for the reasons you state: the relationship with her kids, and the fact that Lucy seemed more natural. When they wrote off her children from "The Lucy Show" Lucy had no one to have a relationship with. The Lucy Carmichael character suddenly seemed empty and without a purpose. Having kids back on the show (on "Here's Lucy") made her character seem more well-rounded and real. Also, I think when they first began that new "Lucy Show" format in 1965, there was a lot of stumbling around for the next year trying to figure out what the show was going to be about. The writers seemed totally lost, and this comes across in those early scripts. The first three seasons of "The Lucy Show" (with Vivian Vance), however, is a totally different story. It was better than "Here's Lucy" and way, way better than the second "Lucy Show" format. Many of those early episodes of "The Lucy Show" are on par with "I Love Lucy" (thanks to having Vivian Vance and most of the "I Love Lucy" writers still on hand). But again, "Here's Lucy" was definitely a step up from the second format of "The Lucy Show"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsongirl
I used to be very biased against the last three seasons, because it just lost a lot when Desi Jr. left, but I watched a few of the later ones on youtube, and they're not bad. There's one from the 6th season that's really funny. Lucy is N.G. and an R.N.
Here's the thing. When Desi Jr. left the show, the scripts tended to be less domestic-focused, and that family dynamic seemed to be missing. For that reason, it seemed to hurt the show somewhat. But the saving grace during the last three seasons was the return of "I Love Lucy" writers, Bob Carroll, Jr. and Madelyn Davis, who wrote that script you mention. They had a special ability to write well-structured, believable and logical scripts. They wrote one-third of the scripts during each of the final three seasons of "Here's Lucy" Another one-third of those scripts were written by Bob O'Brien, who usually pulled off good scripts as well. But the remaining one-third of the scripts during the final three seasons were written by a variety of other writers, who tended not to understand very well how to write for Lucille Ball. Usually what these other writers turned in were either dull, illogical, or both. When you watch these shows, check out the writing credits at the beginning. If you see the names of Bob and Madelyn, or Bob O'Brien, you're probably going to be in for an enjoyable half hour. If you see someone else's name, there's a good chance you're not going to have such a great time. (She should have fired some of these other writers, but for some reason let some of them keep writing for her.)

That being said, when you get the first season DVD, please take this advice: For your own sake, do not . . . I repeat, DO NOT watch the episode with Tennessee Ernie Ford (written by Milt Josefburg and Ray Singer). I haven't seen this episode since it was on Pax in 1998 and refuse to ever watch it again. I can't believe Lucille Ball approved that script. It was probably the lowest point of her television career. You might also want to skip the Howard Keel and Carol Burnett episodes as well (surprisingly both written by Bob O'Brien; his writing seemed to improve later on), but enjoy the rest of the DVD.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #43
sigmapi30
Lucille Ball RULES!!
Forum Regular

what was wrong with the Tennessee Ernie Ford episode? i've never seen it.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:34 PM   #44
Benno123

While I really can't comment on episodes of Here's Lucy since I have not seen all the shows, the episodes of The Lucy Show written by Bob O'Brien have been, well .... not all that great in my opinion. I'm not saying that they were horrible shows, I just really did not care for the majority of the shows that I have seen for The Lucy Show that he wrote. I hope I can change my opinion with Here's Lucy.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #45
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Not really on topic, but does anyone think Life With Lucy will ever see the light of day on DVD? I never saw it, but my mom did and she said it was brutal!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote