Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Lifetime's Winter Ripped from the Headlines; PIX11 Holiday Lineup
Showtime Gets Vanessa Bayer Comedy Pilot; Jeopardy! Sees Who's the GOAT on ABC Primetime
Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #106
Coffeeface
Coffeeface
Frequent Poster

One of Justin's high school buddies had posted on the first or second page that Justin's girlfriend, Yolanda, was not cooperating with the investigation. I found that interesting.
Personally, I think he just lost it. I can't imagine he would commit suicide though. So, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the heck happened to him.

"Never, never doubt what no one is sure about." -Wily Wonka
Coffeeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #107
zack007attack
Forum Regular

At first I thought Justin might actually be involved with some sort of strange top secret things but now, I think he might have been staging it with some fellow soldiers.

The segment said Justin set his sights on becoming a Ranger, which is among the most challenging titles to achieve in the military. He seemed to really want to get involved in heavy combat action so that could be why he wanted to become one. But when he was pulled from Ranger School, he kept to his goal by taking foreign language classes in an attempt to boost his chances at getting back in. It didn't seem to work, so he had other ideas.

If he really was assigned to some sort of covert operations then chances are, he wouldn't be telling his girlfriend or family members about it, unless of course he wanted them to know, which could be why he would supposedly show it off in front of Yolanda. Secret operations is serious business, and if Justin were involved in such activities, he should have known better than to tell his close ones about it unless they needed to know.

Maybe he ran off to become a mercenary or some place where he really could see the heat of combat.

Anyone think he could have joined the French Foreign Legion?
zack007attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #108
Hambone2421

Just a thought but has anyone seen the movie "True Lies"? In it, Bill Paxton's character conjures up these stories of him being in the CIA to get women. I wonder if maybe some people out there did stuff like this for fun and possibly did this to Justin and ended up killing him in the end or maybe Justin did this sort of thing himself and ran across the wrong person by mistake.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #109
Hambone2421

Several thoughts with this case:

1. Why would Justin tell his girlfriend that he could not tell her about his secret mission, but to watch "White Sands" and that will answer all her questions? If that will answer all her questions, then why not just tell her?

2. The night his girlfriend received the call saying "Tell Justin the mission is off." was also a night that Justin was supposedly out goofing off with his buddies. I'm willing to bet that either one of Justin's buddies or some random stranger made that call at Justin's behest to make his girlfriend beleive his mission was legit.

3. He told his girlfriend that if anyone ever finds his dog tags, that means he's dead. That is a perfect way of Justin running away to start a new life. He has already told his girlfriend that if his dog tags are found, then he's dead. Therefore, Justin leaves his dog tags in his car where they will be found that way everyone will beleive he is dead.

4. I know for a fact that te only time low level people (such as cooks) or no names are offered jobs as assassins or special ops, is in the movies. There is no way in hell that an unknown black ops group saw Justin serving spaghetti one day at lunch time and said "there's our next recruit."

In summation, I believe Justin wanted to be an Army Ranger but the feeling was not reciprocated. I also believe that upon seeing the movie "White Sands", he started thinking "hey that could be me" and started making up all this stuff and then either 1 of 2 things happened. The first is that he did run away to start a new life and the second is that in the midst of all of his "White Sands" games, he got mixed up with the wrong people and was killed. This is a case where if it would have happened 10 yrs later and Justin had a cell phone, we could have subpoenaed the cell phone records to find out just who he was talking to on a regular basis, outside of family and friends, if anyone.

One question that I have with this case is why was the Department of Defense roaming around that man's website in 2003 with a military address searching for Justin Burgwinkel if he really was just a low level cook?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #110
Mutzi
Occasional Poster

I have read this thread with interest and I think that Justin lived a very active fantasy life. One thing caught my interest in the segment: when his parents found his car, UM stated that the motel manager just assumed it was left by a former customer and they would pick it up later. After three months, wouldn't you start wondering why it was still there? Around here, most people would call the cops about an abandoned car on their property long before three months passed.

Last edited by Mutzi; 08-08-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Mutzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #111
Hambone2421

Maybe its just me, but does anyone else find it odd that when Justin's mother was being interviewed, she made the comment "I tried to have the police go to the girlfriends house..." Seems like an odd statement on two fronts.

1. She called her "the girlfriend" instead of her name.
2. Does it possibly show that Justin's mom did not beleive her story?

Maybe I'm just overthinking it.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #112
ontarioboi
Frequent Poster

someone mentioned earlier that they sent letters to justin and alked about he past. well, depressed or mentally unstable people seem to hold fond memories of the past...remember, they feel an inability to create those moments in he present....

this guy was unstable. when the girlfriend got the call, he was probably afraid that his buddy would just really explain how justin is a bit nutty..... he is alive in my view, leading a new life.......
ontarioboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #113
samiam82
Frequent Poster

I also always figured this was another case of someone being mentally ill and not having the knowledge or resources at the time to get help. cases like this i really want an update on though. did he end up in a psych ward? kill himself? wander off? his family deserves some answers.
samiam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:20 AM   #114
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam82
I also always figured this was another case of someone being mentally ill and not having the knowledge or resources at the time to get help. cases like this i really want an update on though. did he end up in a psych ward? kill himself? wander off? his family deserves some answers.
I agree.I got the feeling,from one of the pics....the way he looked in it..something I can't explain,but I also saw that same look in his eyes in someone I know who was also mentally ill and killed themselves.
scc1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:20 AM   #115
scc1222
Forum Regular

wow...after watching this again,it's obvious Justin probably disliked what he was doing in the military and wanted out,via the fact he didn't bother to report back,even though he knew they were already looking for him.it's also obvious he had help,since his car was found abandoned in the parking lot.(I also find it odd the motel let it sit there for 3 mo.).someone obviously picked him up after he left his car there,complete w dog tags in it,like he told his gf would be found if he were dead.I suspect he may not be dead.obviously the whole thing was a set-up for him to appear that way (duh).also leaving his wallet (ID) makes me think he was leaving behind his old life and he didn't want it to be found on him.
the guns...sounds like he was planning a life of criminal activity?we already know he didn't have a problem with stealing.he had a problem w being caught,and the consequences that went with it. (being demoted).
father states he would not leave the 3 things he loved...his mother,gf and his car.well...ppl have done so bf.I put little stock into that.IMO he felt he was leaving them some closure by having them believe he was dead.
his car...well...what about a getaway car? he couldn't use his.obviously he had use of another one. (stolen?).they should ck for stolen cars in that area around that time.maybe that what the guns were all about.one for use,one for backup (or someone else).
and why wasn't the phone call to the gf traced? that might have provided a lot of answers.it may have been his partner in crime.(ie-the 'mission').that's what this was all about,imo.leaving to start a life of crime under a new ID.
there are more clues here,upon closer look,than one might think.I have to say if he's still hiding,he of course is doing a very good job of it.he may not even be in this country anymore,though.He was studying foreign language.
JMO.

Last edited by scc1222; 11-18-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #116
ClintonMa01510
First Time Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc1222
wow...after watching this again,it's obvious Justin probably disliked what he was doing in the military and wanted out,via the fact he didn't bother to report back,even though he knew they were already looking for him.it's also obvious he had help,since his car was found abandoned in the parking lot.(I also find it odd the motel let it sit there for 3 mo.).someone obviously picked him up after he left his car there,complete w dog tags in it,like he told his gf would be found if he were dead.I suspect he may not be dead.obviously the whole thing was a set-up for him to appear that way (duh).also leaving his wallet (ID) makes me think he was leaving behind his old life and he didn't want it to be found on him.
the guns...sounds like he was planning a life of criminal activity?we already know he didn't have a problem with stealing.he had a problem w being caught,and the consequences that went with it. (being demoted).
father states he would not leave the 3 things he loved...his mother,gf and his car.well...ppl have done so bf.I put little stock into that.IMO he felt he was leaving them some closure by having them believe he was dead.
his car...well...what about a getaway car? he couldn't use his.obviously he had use of another one. (stolen?).they should ck for stolen cars in that area around that time.maybe that what the guns were all about.one for use,one for backup (or someone else).
and why wasn't the phone call to the gf traced? that might have provided a lot of answers.it may have been his partner in crime.(ie-the 'mission').that's what this was all about,imo.leaving to start a life of crime under a new ID.
there are more clues here,upon closer look,than one might think.I have to say if he's still hiding,he of course is doing a very good job of it.he may not even be in this country anymore,though.He was studying foreign language.
JMO.
I just found this board and wanted to connect with you folks. I live on the same street as Justin did until he left for the military, and still live there. I talk to his Dad a lot and know some things about this from talking to him and Justin's Mother. She is deceased, mostly from the effects of a broken heart and never having closure from a missing child.

Justin was one of the nicest kids I ever knew and I still see his brothers from time to time. Very hard for me to believe he was planning a life of crime.

He attended the Presidio for a time to learn Korean and then something happened and he was given another assignment. I hope he's still alive and contacts his family someday but am not holding my breath either.

If you have any questions just ask...I haven't read this whole thread but I will. I just happened upon this today as I was thinking about Justin and how long he'd been gone. I decided to do a web search and found this, needless to say I was very surprised to find it.

Clinton Ma Resident.
ClintonMa01510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #117
ontarioboi
Frequent Poster

is it just me or does anyone else question how come only the gf claims she knows about justins special mission mind set? anybody else in the segment mention it? she was also uncooperative with cops.........what gives?

What do we really know about justin?
ontarioboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #118
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontarioboi
That's why I was going with the facts.Fact is he bought 2 guns prior to disappearing.Fact is he stole,and for that reason was not going where he wanted to in the military.Fact is he didn't bother to call the military,even though he was AWOL and he knew they were looking for him.Fact is his wallet and abandoned car were found in a hotel parking lot after 3 mo.
Now I don't know what all his gf knew,just that she reported someone had called and said the 'mission' was off,and that if his dog tags turned up,it meant he was dead.And that he mentioned the movie White Sands,and was tearing up little,tiny pieces of ppr in a briefcase he always carried.(I did wonder if she didn't get curious and look in it though).
Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #119
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontarioboi
is it just me or does anyone else question how come only the gf claims she knows about justins special mission mind set? anybody else in the segment mention it? she was also uncooperative with cops.........what gives?

I think you bring up an interesting point but how do you know she wasn't cooperative with police? Was this mentioned in the segment?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #120
mpi guy
Occasional Poster

Default Justin Burgwinkel

How do we know the girlfriend was uncooperative?

Easy, she never came firward to the police. Justin's mother never mentioned her at all during interviews with the MPs.

It was known that Justin thought she was in some 'danger' with some questionable people. It was also believed he left to confront others and bring his girl back to Ft Lrwis where he was assiged.

I have yet to have seen this episode, and I am frankly upset to hear about it again as I was the lead invstigator when Justin first went AWOL, and no one bothered to deek any input or information from me.

My thoughtd are Justin went to "rescue" his girl from a bad situation and knew he needed the guns as protection. Then found himself in way to deep.

Where is he now? I would like to say he is doing fine; however, I truly believe he bit off more than he could chew.
mpi guy is offline   Reply With Quote