Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Good Times links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Good Times Photo Gallery

Good Times - The Complete First Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete First Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Second Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Third Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Series

Buy Good Times - The Complete Series on DVD
Good Times - Season One (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - Season One (Mill Creek) on DVD
Good Times - Season Two (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - Season Two (Mill Creek) on DVD
Good Times - Season Three (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - Season Three (Mill Creek) on DVD
Good Times - Season Four (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - Season Four (Mill Creek) on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Good Times

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS All Access Is Tooning Out the News in This Pandemic Crisis; The CW Summer 2020 Schedule
The CW Announces Returns of Series Affected; Adult Swim Orders YOLO: Crystal Fantasy
Schedule Changes on ABC, CW Due to COVID-19; Insecure: The Game
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of March 30, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time a Hit in Ratings; Late Night Talk Set to Return Next Week
Fri-Yay: Review of One Day at a Time Season 4 Premiere; NBC Sets Will & Grace Finale Night and Special I Love Lucy Episode
CBS Slates Primetime Special from Home with James Corden; Fox Announces Living Room Concert for America

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March/April)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-01-2020, 10:59 PM   #1
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Now that I work at the welfare office, this show makes no sense

For example, Gurdy Vincent who had to resort to eating pet food could have went to the welfare office and received emergency food stamps because she was over 65 and income was under the limit. She also would have qualified for ongoing food stamps since she was elderly and struggling to pay utilities.

Unless it wasn't a such thing as emergency food stamps in 1974
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:13 AM   #2
Wawwie

Good point! There had to be emergency food stamps in 1974.

I've been watching the Good Times marathon tonight too. Right now, it's the "Lunch Money" episode which was pretty good.

When the "Dinner Party" episode was on, my dad laughed so much when J.J. was saying grace... "the lord is my German shepherd..."
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:21 AM   #3
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie View Post
Good point! There had to be emergency food stamps in 1974.

I've been watching the Good Times marathon tonight too. Right now, it's the "Lunch Money" episode which was pretty good.

When the "Dinner Party" episode was on, my dad laughed so much when J.J. was saying grace... "the lord is my German shepherd..."

And why would a elderly who is single be turned away and not given any assistance?
Old 01-02-2020, 01:23 AM   #4
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

And yes the Evans would have been eligible for cash assistance since James was making minimum wage and didnt have any resources. With the household size being 5
Old 01-02-2020, 02:00 AM   #5
Wawwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan View Post
And yes the Evans would have been eligible for cash assistance since James was making minimum wage and didnt have any resources. With the household size being 5
I don't think James wanted any kind of government assistance.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:06 AM   #6
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Well his ass shouldnt have been in a bad mood then
Old 01-02-2020, 02:21 AM   #7
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
watching the alaska episode and was laughing at the fact that he was about to take everyone out to dinner............with what money??

He was just snapping at the guy who tried to sell him cemetary plots and once he got that call about the alaska job he suddenly had money to treat himself and his family to dinner lol Did he have a credit card or something lol
Old 01-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
PracTz

Quote:
watching the alaska episode and was laughing at the fact that he was about to take everyone out to dinner............with what money??

He was just snapping at the guy who tried to sell him cemetary plots and once he got that call about the alaska job he suddenly had money to treat himself and his family to dinner lol Did he have a credit card or something lol
Perhaps James had worked as a dishwasher/table busser in a swanky restaurant- and thought somehow that fact alone would have made the owner beholden to comp him one free fancy meal for his entire family (and Willona).

One can't say that the Evanses had the best fiscal sense of planning.
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:48 AM   #9
magellan333
Forum Regular

I’ve wondered how SSI even knew Gertie was giving singing lessons. Did she call them up after each one so they knew to deduct $1 from her check?
magellan333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:53 AM   #10
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan333 View Post
Iíve wondered how SSI even knew Gertie was giving singing lessons. Did she call them up after each one so they knew to deduct $1 from her check?
exactly, how would they know about under the table money? And she would instantly qualified for foodstamps since she was elderly and had limited income

episode made no sense
Old 01-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #11
Chocolate Moose

this is entertainment, people - not real life!
Old 01-16-2020, 08:09 PM   #12
magellan333
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Moose View Post
this is entertainment, people - not real life!
As a senior forum member, surely you realize part of the reason these boards exist is so that we can pick apart and analyze shows. Itís like getting more bang for the buck when it comes to the fun and entertainment the shows offer.
magellan333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #13
GentlemanJim
Frequent Poster

Quote:
For example, Gurdy Vincent who had to resort to eating pet food could have went to the welfare office and received emergency food stamps because she was over 65 and income was under the limit. She also would have qualified for ongoing food stamps since she was elderly and struggling to pay utilities.

Unless it wasn't a such thing as emergency food stamps in 1974
I am by no means an expert, but I was a working adult in 1974, and had several friends who were not working, and this is what I recall:

Back in the day if you were a man and did not have a bonafide physical disability, you were not going to get welfare. Further, if you were female, you needed un-emancipated dependent children to get benefits. A "welfare mama" in other words.

As far as your real world job today goes, do you customarily award food stamps to individuals receiving social security retirement benefits? As I recall from about 10 years ago, in order to get $250/month in foodstamps, you had to have like next to no resources of any kind. If you had over $400/month coming in in any form, they started shrinking the amount of food stamps you were eligible for, and the drop off was steep (bear in mind this is for individuals without children)
GentlemanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 PM   #14
GentlemanJim
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan333 View Post
As a senior forum member, surely you realize part of the reason these boards exist is so that we can pick apart and analyze shows. Itís like getting more bang for the buck when it comes to the fun and entertainment the shows offer.
Although he/she didn't say it very well, I think what Chocolate Moose was referring to is that we are talking about a "plot device"...a hardship created by the writers solely to feed the story.

Sorta like asking why detective Fish didn't just wear Depends, and avoid all those urgent moments at the restroom door.
GentlemanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:54 PM   #15
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
I am by no means an expert, but I was a working adult in 1974, and had several friends who were not working, and this is what I recall:

Back in the day if you were a man and did not have a bonafide physical disability, you were not going to get welfare. Further, if you were female, you needed un-emancipated dependent children to get benefits. A "welfare mama" in other words.

As far as your real world job today goes, do you customarily award food stamps to individuals receiving social security retirement benefits? As I recall from about 10 years ago, in order to get $250/month in foodstamps, you had to have like next to no resources of any kind. If you had over $400/month coming in in any form, they started shrinking the amount of food stamps you were eligible for, and the drop off was steep (bear in mind this is for individuals without children)

Gurdy Vincent would be eligible in 2019 because her income was below the limit for one person and she was elderly. She would have ongoing stamps due to having no resources and limited income