Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board


The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS All Access Is Tooning Out the News in This Pandemic Crisis; The CW Summer 2020 Schedule
The CW Announces Returns of Series Affected; Adult Swim Orders YOLO: Crystal Fantasy
Schedule Changes on ABC, CW Due to COVID-19; Insecure: The Game
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of March 30, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time a Hit in Ratings; Late Night Talk Set to Return Next Week
Fri-Yay: Review of One Day at a Time Season 4 Premiere; NBC Sets Will & Grace Finale Night and Special I Love Lucy Episode
CBS Slates Primetime Special from Home with James Corden; Fox Announces Living Room Concert for America


New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March/April)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2019, 03:04 AM   #166
Lorimar Television
Member
Senior Member
 
Lorimar Television's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 06, 2007
Posts: 4,160
Default

Sue Ann would def be in the core five
__________________
Some of my favorite theme songs:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-e...89CsiJpV_irnNw
Lorimar Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:28 AM   #167
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 6,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorimar Television View Post
Sue Ann would def be in the core five
Attached Images
 
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #168
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 7,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
And hence they appeared in the episodes, albeit briefly and just in flashbacks.

If they didn't appear in the episodes, we wouldn't have seen them.
We're using "appear" in a different way. You're talking about their visual likeness at all, but the actresses did not take part in those episodes. They did not come to the set and join the cast and be videotaped in front of an audience. Therefore, the actresses did not appear on those shows in the active sense. They were shown in flashback footage. Counting a character's appearances for an honest count is each time they are performing on the show (like the image below); that's how many times they actively took part in episodes. If I were going to list other times they're seen, I would put "(seen in flashback only)" so people would know they didn't actually appear as their character with a new appearance and new dialogue, and would know, "oh, they showed footage of her, but she wasn't actually on that episode", so they would still know the count of how many times they actually appeared on the show each time they performed their character.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
What? In this post? We see Eastland several times post-Season 4, including in the third movie, season 9, flashbacks in season 5, Pippa even wears the Eastland uniform for a whole season.
Like the girls, you see Eastland the school building in flashbacks, but not in the then present time, so it does not "appear" what was then currently; it was shown in flashbacks. So it's essentially not seen in the then current time from "Brave New World Part II" until the series finale.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
The impact would have been lost with Emily or Jenny sitting with Nancy in "Sex Symbol" or "Gossip". Those girls just didn't have the background to be chumming with Nancy, and they didn't have the history with Natalie that would make her care what they thought.
Exactly. That's why we delight that the Lost Girls were used, but any girls could have played those parts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Additionally, in "Gossip", Tootie visibly brightens when Cindy invites her up to Cindy and Sue Ann's room to hang out. She wants to impress them; Tootie couldn't care less about hanging out with Emily or Jenny. Tootie exaggerates her gossip to impress these girls, in a way she never would have with girls she didn't know very well. That is why Sue Ann and Cindy were needed for these scenes, despite not being mentioned by name: they had a history with Tootie, and weren't random girls thrown in there. Tootie trusted them in a way she wouldn't have trusted Emily or Jenny or Brenda.
But we already saw this could have been done---and was---when Tootie was hanging out with Terry and Jenny where it should have been Sue Ann and Cindy.
Attached Images
 
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #169
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 7,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorimar Television View Post
Sue Ann would def be in the core five
There is only a Core Four, and you know it. Wishful thinker.

-
Attached Images
 
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:03 AM   #170
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 6,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
We're using "appear" in a different way. You're talking about their visual likeness at all, but the actresses did not take part in those episodes.
Never said they did. I said they appeared in those episodes. And they did.

Quote:
Like the girls, you see Eastland the school building in flashbacks, but not in the then present time, so it does not "appear" what was then currently; it was shown in flashbacks. So it's essentially not seen in the then current time from "Brave New World Part II" until the series finale.
But we do see it in flashbacks, and we see the girls wear the school uniform in Season 5, and Pippa wearing the school uniform throughout Season 9, and they talk about Eastland, and we even see the Eastland school set, now rebranded as "Langley", in Season Six. And then of course there are the scenes in Season Nine, and the third film gives us a lovely scene with the cafeteria.

Quote:
Exactly. That's why we delight that the Lost Girls were used, but any girls could have played those parts.
Not to the same effect. Tootie gossiping with her former roommates, impressing them with her gossip, has a different effect than her just gossiping with Random Girls. Natalie being slut-shamed by old friends has a greater impact than being slut-shamed by random girls we don't know. So even in episodes where you say anyone could have played those parts, I disagree.

Quote:
But we already saw this could have been done---and was---when Tootie was hanging out with Terry and Jenny where it should have been Sue Ann and Cindy.
I don't mind occasionally seeing episodes where the Core Four are hanging out with Terry, Jenny, Brenda, Emily, etc: there should be other girls at Eastland, and we should see them interact with the Core Four. But the episodes where they are hanging out with Nancy, Sue Ann, and Cindy have a greater level of continuity and believably: it's believable that Tootie confides in her former roommates, while it would be less believable that she would confide in a random girl.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #171
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 6,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
There is only a Core Four, and you know it. Wishful thinker.

-
Not anymore! Sue Ann has been calling Blair, and Blair's been taking those calls!

"Better move your bike over, city girl! My tractor's plowing through!"
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #172
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 7,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Never said they did. I said they appeared in those episodes. And they did.
They did not. They were shown, but they did not "appear". The actresses did not take part in those episodes (as seen on IMDB).


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Not to the same effect. Tootie gossiping with her former roommates, impressing them with her gossip, has a different effect than her just gossiping with Random Girls. Natalie being slut-shamed by old friends has a greater impact than being slut-shamed by random girls we don't know. So even in episodes where you say anyone could have played those parts, I disagree.
I said that, that we prefer the Lost Girls in those roles (though they could have individualized them more). So, yes, it would have been a different feel, but anyone could have played those parts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I don't mind occasionally seeing episodes where the Core Four are hanging out with Terry, Jenny, Brenda, Emily, etc: there should be other girls at Eastland, and we should see them interact with the Core Four. But the episodes where they are hanging out with Nancy, Sue Ann, and Cindy have a greater level of continuity and believably: it's believable that Tootie confides in her former roommates, while it would be less believable that she would confide in a random girl.
Yes, that's what I was saying earlier.

But I'm tired of arguing, and that's never been why I came here. This is not fun. It's clear you have your beliefs and I have mine and we're not going to budge, so will agree to disagree and move on.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:16 AM   #173
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 6,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
They did not. They were shown, but they did not "appear".
They did appear, or we wouldn't have seen them. They appeared in flashbacks.

Quote:
I said that, that we prefer the Lost Girls in those roles (though they could have individualized them more). So, yes, it would have been a different feel, but anyone could have played those parts.
Not to the same effect.

Quote:
But I'm tired of arguing. This is not fun. It's clear you have your beliefs and I have mine and we're not going to budge, so will agree to disagree and move on.
Oh, it seemed as though you enjoyed arguing, since I said the girls appeared, and then you said they did not make appearances, which is not what I was talking about. Well, I'm happy to discuss something else.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #174
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 7,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
They did appear, or we wouldn't have seen them. They appeared in flashbacks.
But they themselves did not "appear".


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Not to the same effect.
That's what I said.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Oh, it seemed as though you enjoyed arguing, since I said the girls appeared, and then you said they did not make appearances, which is not what I was talking about. Well, I'm happy to discuss something else.
That's the distinction I was making, yes. It's seemed to me before that you really enjoy debating. But I do not. I have stuck up for things around this board I felt needed defense/clarification, but if two parties disagree, they disagree.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #175
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 7,030
Default

Lisa and Mindy commenting on Nancy's birthday wish:

-
Attached Images
 
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #176
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 6,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
But they themselves did not "appear".
They did appear; otherwise we wouldn't have seen them. They appeared in flashbacks. I didn't say they made appearances or take part or come to the set or anything you've said above. And when I explained that I was including the flashbacks, that really should have been the end of it. Instead, I was lectured that I wasn't allowed to count those and "corrected" over and over. But there's nothing wrong with my wording: I meant to include the flashbacks, and have always included the flashbacks. As the girls seem to have been paid for those scenes, and as I watched them on the screen with my own eyes, I would definitely count those as appearing in ten episodes. Indeed, IMDB often credits archival footage; though they haven't done so for FOL, we've already seen that IMDB isn't entirely consistent, and has some major mistakes, like "Neighbor Kid" appearing on the show in multiple episodes.

I kept explaining in different ways why I count it, hoping you would eventually drop it, but you kept coming back, even today, with reasons why I'm not allowed to count flashbacks. I kept commenting on your other posts, hoping you would just stop lecturing me on why I'm wrong. But it was in vain.

Quote:
That's the distinction I was making, yes. It's seemed to me before that you really enjoy debating. But I do not. I have stuck up for things around this board I felt needed defense/clarification
The number of times Cindy, Molly, Nancy and Sue Ann appeared in episodes after the first season truly didn't need this many "defenses/clarifications". I now believe you like arguing about something that was entirely unnecessary.

Last edited by RetroGuy2000; 05-30-2019 at 08:21 PM.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:42 PM   #177
Lorimar Television
Member
Senior Member
 
Lorimar Television's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 06, 2007
Posts: 4,160
Default

OK everyone lets take a deep breath before you both get sent to Mr. Bradley's office.
Lorimar Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:20 AM   #178
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 7,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I kept explaining in different ways why I count it, hoping you would eventually drop it, but you kept coming back
I hoped the same thing when I was explaining why they don't count, but you too kept coming back. And I am sorry if you felt I was lecturing you; that wasn't the "tone" I meant. I was trying to explain it in different ways so you would see what I was meaning.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I now believe you like arguing about something that was entirely unnecessary.
Well, that's incorrect, because I avoid arguing as much as possible. It's exasperating and stressful. I only liked to come here for fun. And who has time for drawn-out disagreements with as much as we work? Maybe you enjoy it, but I don't. I thought you might see what I meant but when it was clear you weren't going to come around to what I was saying, and since my belief was different than yours, I finally just said, fine, we'll just have to agree to disagree, like we've done before. It's obvious we interpret some things differently.

Last edited by '80sSitcoms; 05-31-2019 at 10:52 AM.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:22 PM   #179
Lorimar Television
Member
Senior Member
 
Lorimar Television's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 06, 2007
Posts: 4,160
Default

Funny post from Mindy: https://www.instagram.com/p/ByLbnplBxgX/
Lorimar Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:00 AM   #180
Lorimar Television
Member
Senior Member
 
Lorimar Television's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 06, 2007
Posts: 4,160
Default

A clip from 80sthen80snow https://www.instagram.com/p/ByTyO70lgRq/
Lorimar Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.