Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Mama's Family links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Mama's Family Photo Gallery

Mama's Family - The Complete First Season (StarVista)

Buy Mama's Family - The Complete First Season (StarVista) on DVD
(Warner Home Video)
Mama's Family - The Complete Second Season (StarVista)

Buy Mama's Family - The Complete Second Season (StarVista) on DVD
Mama's Family - The Complete Third Season (StarVista)

Buy Mama's Family - The Complete Third Season (StarVista) on DVD
Mama's Family - The Complete Fourth Season (StarVista)

Buy Mama's Family - The Complete Fourth Season (StarVista) on DVD
Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season (StarVista)

Buy Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season (StarVista) on DVD
Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season (StarVista)

Buy Mama's Family - The Complete Sixth Season (StarVista) on DVD
Mama's Family - The Complete Collection (2017 Release)

Buy Mama's Family - The Complete Collection (2017 Release) on DVD
(2014 Release)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Mama's Family

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of March 8, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: First Look at United States of Al; Simpsons Renewed for Two More Seasons
Fri-Yay: Marvel's WandaVision Is a Delightful Tribute to Sitcoms; Cristin Milioti HBO Max Comedy Series Trailer
The Simpsons Renewed Through 2023; Paramount+ Comedy Series Returns in April
Fox Animation Domination Adds New Night This Summer; Bill Nye Returns with New Series on Peacock
Freeform Spring and Summer 2021 Updates; discovery+ Gets Back to the Future Expedition
78th Golden Globe Winners; Soleil Moon Frye Hulu Documentary Premieres March 12

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October-March)

The Flintstones - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Second Season The Office - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Schitt's Creek - The Complete Collection Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series

10/13 - The Jetsons - The Complete Series (Diamond Collection)
10/13 - Our Cartoon President - Season Two
10/23 - Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - The Complete Collection
10/27 - The Flintstones - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
10/27 - Head of the Class - The Complete Second Season (WBShop.com)
11/10 - Letterkenny - Seasons 5 & 6
11/10 - The Office - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
11/10 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Collection
11/17 - Carol's Second Act - The Complete Series
11/17 - Robbie - Season 1
11/24 - Corporate - Season 1
11/26 - Man with a Plan - Season Four
12/01 - The Neighborhood - Season Two
12/15 - Avenue 5 - The Complete First Season
01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-24-2021, 03:12 PM   #1
TVLegend
Forum Regular

Default Most Annoying Mamaís Family Characters

Can at least someone agree with me that these were THE most annoying Mamaís Family characters

Officer Sneed

Terri

Glenn

Mayor Tutwheiler

Judge Packard

Luanne Fayette

Mr. Tucker

Olga

Arlene
TVLegend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #2
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

I'd add Alberta Meechum, the Rev's wife, that juve. hall girl that came over to dinner, and the Rev's. bratty (was it?) nephew.

The ones on your list that really strike me are Terri, the mayor, and Arlene.

Also I think if we ever got to see Roseanne Huplander, I'd find her annoying.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:05 PM   #3
TVLegend
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
I'd add Alberta Meechum, the Rev's wife, that juve. hall girl that came over to dinner, and the Rev's. bratty (was it?) nephew.

The ones on your list that really strike me are Terri, the mayor, and Arlene.

Also I think if we ever got to see Roseanne Huplander, I'd find her annoying.
Alberta Meechum would be considered ďa KarenĒ today. But still, I found her quite enjoyable.

That girl from juvenile hall is also the voice of Lisa on The Simpsons. She was okay.

Eugene was Alberta and Lloydís SON I believe. He needed a good spanking and Iím glad the reverend (with the help of Thelma ) gave it to him. The young boy who played Eugene was very convincing as a mischievous, bratty, spoiled, entitled preteen and Lloyd and especially Albertaís son.

I didnít understand what Bubba saw in Terri at all. Not only was she unattractive, but she struck me as somewhat airhead and bumbling. I guess he had a thing for blondes.

The mayor seemed like a lying, conniving, cheating, slick, two-faced twerp. Not only did he intimidate the citizens of Raytown with money just to snatch their homes away from them, but he shacked up with Ellen, probably only for support and publicity, and Iím assuming ditched her afterwards since he and Ellenís relationship status was not mentioned or referred to after Mama For Mayor.

I listed Glenn because he seemed so shady and mysterious. Ellen seemed so embarrassed and uncomfortable around Glenn and I can see why. I donít think it was necessarily because of the age difference, but he was so pushy. I remember when he embarrassed Ellen in front of her family in Ellenís Boyfriend when they was eating at that restaurant Chez Ray or whatever it was called. He threw a tantrum in the middle of the restaurant and then proceeded to make decisions for her and tried to shove her out the restaurant, treating her like she was a little girl.

Officer Sneed was just grating and annoying IMO so thatís why I listed him. A goofy, immature, underage cop with a high-pitched voice. Genius idea.

I didnít like Luanne from the start. No wonder she was a perfect match for Naomi. She wore a tight blouse, a tight skirt, heavy red lipstick, heavy makeup, and a hideous blonde wig. That just doesnít look appealing to me. To make matters worse, she has to hit on poor Bubba for almost half of the episode. The episode shouldíve ended with Thelma walking in on Bubba and Luanne and grabbing the broom, chasing Luanne out the house with it.

BTW: Why did Earl Boen play religious in every thing he was in? He played another reverend on Threeís Company, a priest on The Golden Girls, and I think a reverend on some other show.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:03 PM   #4
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Alberta was perfect for the role but I found her annoying. However if she was one of the parade of church ladies who got looped on Thelma's cold cure, that made up for her other few appearances.

I forgot who Glenn was, but now that you remind me, he'd be on my list. Chez Ray is the name, and to be slightly fair to him Mama was at her worst, too (but they were her usual great zingers!).

I also forgot Eugene got it in the end (so to speak), so that was great justice. On Raymond that brat didn't get it at all.

I think Sneed was on twice and I thought he was great casting--a guy you'd never expect as a cop. They got some good one-liners at him, too.

Agreed on the mayor, great casting for a politician. Too bad Thelma didn't adapt to the job and stay in office.

I do remember Terri who had the father with the leaves coming into Mama's yard, but was she also the witch that Bubba wanted to take to a dance instead of Iola's niece (I think not)? I'm glad they worked that one out with the "right" ending.

Yes, Luanne could have been Naomi's twin personality. Mentioned several times but on only once, IIRC. She was great for the part. I wasn't a fan of the plot twist that had her briefly paired with Bubba, and normally smart Mama was clueless. You'd have thought she'd catch a whiff of the lipstick and figure it out, or catch a drift when she saw Luanne's car.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:22 PM   #5
TVLegend
Forum Regular

Quote:
Alberta was perfect for the role but I found her annoying. However if she was one of the parade of church ladies who got looped on Thelma's cold cure, that made up for her other few appearances.

I forgot who Glenn was, but now that you remind me, he'd be on my list. Chez Ray is the name, and to be slightly fair to him Mama was at her worst, too (but they were her usual great zingers!).

I also forgot Eugene got it in the end (so to speak), so that was great justice. On Raymond that brat didn't get it at all.

I think Sneed was on twice and I thought he was great casting--a guy you'd never expect as a cop. They got some good one-liners at him, too.

Agreed on the mayor, great casting for a politician. Too bad Thelma didn't adapt to the job and stay in office.

I do remember Terri who had the father with the leaves coming into Mama's yard, but was she also the witch that Bubba wanted to take to a dance instead of Iola's niece (I think not)? I'm glad they worked that one out with the "right" ending.

Yes, Luanne could have been Naomi's twin personality. Mentioned several times but on only once, IIRC. She was great for the part. I wasn't a fan of the plot twist that had her briefly paired with Bubba, and normally smart Mama was clueless. You'd have thought she'd catch a whiff of the lipstick and figure it out, or catch a drift when she saw Luanne's car.
The girl who Bubba wanted to take to the dance instead of Iolaís niece, whoís name was Vernice, was Wanda Lynn, not Terri. Another airhead.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:35 PM   #6
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

I think Wanda Lynn was horrible. Add her to my list! Another one to add was the salesman who sold Thelma the lemon car. Also T-Boy and Duane.

Yes, Vernice. Vern's daughter, IIRC. Maybe I'm wrong on that too. Been awhile since I've watched these.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:44 PM   #7
TVLegend
Forum Regular

Quote:
I think Wanda Lynn was horrible. Add her to my list! Another one to add was the salesman who sold Thelma the lemon car. Also T-Boy and Duane.

Yes, Vernice. Vern's daughter, IIRC. Maybe I'm wrong on that too. Been awhile since I've watched these.
I forgot about that car salesman. I think his name was Willie Potts. Vintís old childhood friend. He was annoying too. Now T-Boy and Dwayne were Bubbaís buddies and brought some life into Bubba so thatís why I liked them.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:54 PM   #8
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Yeah, that's true about about those 2. IIRC one of them was a real dolt.

What about Claude Cainmaker?
Old 01-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #9
TVLegend
Forum Regular

Quote:
Yeah, that's true about about those 2. IIRC one of them was a real dolt.

What about Claude Cainmaker?
I thought about listing him but now that I think about it he wasnít all that bad and was pretty realistic as an unwanted friend of your son.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:16 PM   #10
schmave
Forum Regular

Alberta Meechum to me ... although I am shocked no one has mentioned Sonja given how much grief that character has taken over the years.