Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Lark Voorhies Unhappy with Saved by the Bell Reboot Snub; Remembering Ja'Net DuBois
Fri-Yay: Single Parents Quietly Becoming ABC's Best Sitcom; BET+ Gets Bigger with Comedy
Are You Afraid of the Dark and All That Get More Episodes; Tyler Perry Gets Nick Sitcom
Remembering Ja'Net DuBois of Good Times, Kellye Nakahara of M*A*S*H, and Others We've Recently Lost
Family Matters Back on TBS; Caroline Rhea to Headline Showtime Comedy Special
The Last O.G. Returns to TBS on April 7; He-Man Gets All-Star Cast on Netflix
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of February 17, 2020)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January/February)

Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series

12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/06 - 9JKL - The Complete Series
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Atlanta - Season 2 - Robbin' Season
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
12/17 - Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Series (2019 Release)
12/17 - The Other Two - Season 1
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #136
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci View Post
So... I just rewatched this one. Iím sure itís been discussed before, but someone humor me: I know itís believed that she faked a 2.5 hour phone conversation with ďJohn,Ē but can we be sure that she didnít actually have a date with John and get stood up? I half-heartedly thought that may have been the straw that broke the camels back...
I find this way more likely than faking a 2.5 hour phone call.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #137
marlins3
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer View Post
I find this way more likely than faking a 2.5 hour phone call.

I agree. Couldn't this be ascertained by looking at her phone bill? I believe phone companies provided printouts of phone calls made. If she never dialed out, no call would be recorded. If she did call somebody (John or someone else), the phone number and duration of the call would be on file with the phone company or on Gail's personal copy of the bill.
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #138
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlins3
If she did call somebody (John or someone else), the phone number and duration of the call would be on file with the phone company or on Gail's personal copy of the bill.
I think you hit the nail on the head here with "or someone else." I wonder if the John date was just a ruse. I don't doubt she was talking to someone for two and a half hours on the phone, but I think it was probably a friend or acquaintance. Sadly, I think Gail's depression was pretty severe at that point and it's likely she was already planning to kill herself. While sometimes suicide can be a little bit more spontaneous, I think Gail was planning this for a while.

The saddest thing is that I think she planned her suicide to make it easier on her kids, yet going missing only to learn the truth in the end probably made it worse. I just always felt really bad for her. She seemed like a nice lady who just was stuck in a rut without the joy she sought.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #139
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

These stories are hard to write, and newspapers can't spend resources on them, but I'd love to read one about suicide survivors. How are Delano's kids? How did the suicide change them?
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #140
EighthStreet
Frequent Poster

Now that I'm close to Gail's age I can say this, she was a very old looking 34 year old.
EighthStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #141
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthStreet View Post
Now that I'm close to Gail's age I can say this, she was a very old looking 34 year old.
I think it was the fashion at the time...
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:31 AM   #142
EighthStreet
Frequent Poster

I think it's more than that. I've made a game out of trying to guess the ages of people in the early seasons and I'm consistently off by a decade or two. I almost wonder if it was exposure to leaded gasoline exhaust or constant cigarette smoke or DDT or something else in the environment.
EighthStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #143
Chichester Crowe
You el sickos will pay.
Frequent Poster

I watch a lot of 1980s television like St. Elsewhere, Miami Vice, etc. One topic that comes up rather frequently is how younger people of the past looked much more mature than they actually were. The farther you go back, the more extreme it gets. Recent studies have suggested that adolescence now extends to age twenty-five (or beyond for some). This is gauged by the development of an individual's frontal lobe. Juxtapose these ideas with the idea that thousands of years ago we married our daughters off as pre-teens and thirty was a ripe-old age in our ancient history.

Correlation is not causation?
-Cigarette smoking was near ubiquitous in the 80's: hospitals, airplanes, etc.

-The U.S. government heavily marketed milk and dairy to 80's and 90's kids. Now we know that the milk was laced with bovine somatotropin, a growth hormone, since 1994.

-People had to mature sooner when life wasn't permeated with abundant cheap energy across the economic spectrum. Not to mention the life-improving technologies that cheap hydrocarbons enabled.

-Mediated reality has become a serious addiction among first world nations. My personal opinion: Technology makes children of men. The portable pocket pc (smart phone) has severely stunted sociological and emotional growth. If ever a 21st century, perverted Lockian definition of "property" needed to be applied, it does so here. They literally can't function with out them.

I'm not suggesting that these are actual causes, but just some thoughts that have sprung to mind about this topic.

One final thought: I was born in 1982 and identify the 80s as my childhood. Most people my age identify the 90s as their childhood. I have heard this referred to as Xillenial. Simply put, everybody's different, but every generation is different, too.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:00 PM   #144
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Quote:
So... I just rewatched this one. Iím sure itís been discussed before, but someone humor me: I know itís believed that she faked a 2.5 hour phone conversation with ďJohn,Ē but can we be sure that she didnít actually have a date with John and get stood up? I half-heartedly thought that may have been the straw that broke the camels back...
That's a possibility but the lengths she went to commit suicide though? I'm certain that had to be pre-planned.

Also I'm confused a bit, the trucker John who said he rode with Gail, it seemed as though that this was dismissed in the update. They said she drove to the restaurant, discarded her belongings and flew to Alabama.

Most of what John said seemed to be on the mark I thought.
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:39 PM   #145
maniaguy6
Occasional Poster

Quote:
I think it was the fashion at the time...
Fashion was more conservative back then, which did indeed make some people seem older. For Gail Delano, we only got to see a few pictures in the UM segment. Also, I remember one or two of them being grainy. Maybe she looked closer to 35 in person than in the pictures.
maniaguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:37 PM   #146
Jon
Forum Regular

Ok. So if you looked old as the hills in the 1980s, you were actually young, you just looked old. Got it. Suddenly Iím questioning if Aunt Bee was over 18
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #147
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniaguy6 View Post
Fashion was more conservative back then, which did indeed make some people seem older. For Gail Delano, we only got to see a few pictures in the UM segment. Also, I remember one or two of them being grainy. Maybe she looked closer to 35 in person than in the pictures.
Comparable to Mary Ann Perez. She was only 36 when she disappeared...

Both Mary Ann and Gail got married and already started having babies while in their teens. During those times, that may not have been considered uncommon. But kids are going to age you no matter how old you are. So maybe they're to blame?
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:30 PM   #148
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

I think it is the combination of many things. Unhealthy lifestyles (less exercise, lots of fatty foods, smoking, etc.), fashion that made people look older (haircuts and a lot of god-awful 80s designs), taking better care of skin, and the media of the day (pictures, videos, etc.).

I look at pictures of some of my relatives and in many cases they look way older than they were. Part of that I believe is that picture and video quality weren't as good, so naturally people look a little older because the photos look more dated. I think there is more of an emphasis now on looking younger and more fit for many people. There is a big increase in taking better care of our skin through the use of sunscreen and other products, so people don't look as aged. People are living healthier now in many ways (even though obesity is up) so I think that has a lot to do with it.

As for Gail specifically, she suffered from depression. That is a two-fold gut punch. First of all, the stress of living with depression gets you down and that stress can have physical effects which make you look and feel older. In many cases, it also takes away the desire to do healthy things like exercise and take care of yourself, and that can start a downward spiral. Gail looked older to me and I contribute it to a combination of the time and of her situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
Both Mary Ann and Gail got married and already started having babies while in their teens. During those times, that may not have been considered uncommon. But kids are going to age you no matter how old you are. So maybe they're to blame?
In some ways kids keep you young, but it so many other ways, yes -- they make you feel prematurely old. I do agree that as a young single mother, it's likely that doing so much to provide for her kids probably did suck the life out of her emotionally. She was still a young woman but obviously a very lonely one.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #149
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller View Post
She was still a young woman but obviously a very lonely one.
Her journal entry that's read during the segment made it sound like she was 34 going on 70. Just the fact that she was so desperate to find someone before it was "too late," yet she was only 34. Just adds another layer of sadness that must not have helped her depression. She still had so many years left.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:13 AM   #150
Garfunkel'sGhost
Occasional Poster

Honestly one of the saddest stories to air on UM in my opinion. I can't begin to imagine the pain she was in. Hopefully her family has been able to deal with Gail's decisions as best as possible.
Garfunkel'sGhost is offline   Reply With Quote