Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman Remake for TBS; Schitt's Creek Producer Hoping to Replicate Success with Son of a Critch
Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...
Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show
Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu
Damon Wayans Jr. to Host Frogger; Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Getting All-Star Guests
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 26, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (March-July)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)

03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
08/03 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-14-2021, 05:42 AM   #1
Yong Fang

Default Actors who are of different ages than you think.

What actors/actresses you were sort of shocked of how young or old they are?

Mine is Gordon Jump. He played Mr Carlson on WKRP who was only 46 when the show started in 1978. Seemed sort of strange that an “old man” would have a living mother, but Jump wasn’t that old, although Carol Bruce was only about 13 years older than Jump. Carol Bruce looked older than 59 and Jump looked older than 46. More like Carlson was about 55 and Mama Carlson was in her 70’s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Bruce
Bruce as a young woman. One can see Art’s dad buying her flowers.

Beth Hall from “Mom” is 61. She looks to be about 52 of that. If that. I was thinking that in a show that would never get made that she could play the younger version of Edith Bunker in a prequel to “All in the Family”.

Problem is Beth is about 10 years older than Jean Stapleton was when the show began. Speaking of which, Carol O’Connor and Jean Stapleton were only in their early 50’s when All in the Family began in 1971. O’Connor was only 47 when the show began (born in 1924). Jean Stapleton was only 48. About two years ago there was a “retelling” of All in the Family with Woody Harrelson as Archie, but Woody was about ten years older than O’Connor when the show began.

Whitman Mayo who played Grady on Sanford and Son. An elderly old man. Mayo was 42 when the show began in 1972. Redd Foxx himself was only 49 playing a 65 year old man.

On Parks and Recreation, the character of Jerry was married to his wife played by Christy Brinkley, in real life a supermodel. Jerry played by Jim O’Heir is eight years younger than Christy Brinkley. To put in perspective, Jim was leaving the 4th grade when Brinkley graduated high school.

Welcome Back Kotter. The Sweathog” students were all in their 20’s with Ron Palillo who I thought was the only one of the four looked young enough to be in high school was 29 when the show began, so he was in his early 30’s when it ended still playing a high schooler (well, a recent graduate, so a 34 year old playing a 19 year old), but again was the only one (to me) to actually look like a teenager.

I feel old because I am 54 and older now than all of these players, who most all seem older than me even now.

Any other examples?
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:22 AM   #2
biffbronson
Forum 4K Club Member

Grandpa Jones was only 55 (going on 56) when Hee Haw premiered on CBS in 1969.

Vivian Vance was still in her early 40s when she began playing a somewhat elderly character, Ethel Mertz on TV's I Love Lucy...! (If Barbara Pepper had not been rejected for the role, she would've started playing Ethel at age 36 or so...!)

Last edited by biffbronson; 05-14-2021 at 09:00 AM.
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
Sherrie Anson
Frequent Poster

Does it include Nicholas Cage? He's the first I thought because of his space traveler issues. lol But, yeah so he must be xxxxxx years old now xp
Sherrie Anson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #4
icecream
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Fanatic

Wallace Shawn has always been old looking, way back when he first became famous on The Princess Bride. He looked old for his age on Murphy Brown as well, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine doesn't count with all that makeup. Wally is currently 77. In this year's appearances on Young Sheldon it looked like aging had really taken a toll on him even from the earlier seasons when he was with Mee Maw. Their producers will almost certainly have her break up with Dale as she said to Amy on TBBT that she ended up marrying someone as smart as Sheldon, which would have to be Dr. Sturgis. I just hope Wally is up to playing it and doesn't suddenly die or health gets worse so he can't act anymore. Odds are Young Sheldon ends with its 7th season when Sheldon gets into Cal Tech and George, Sr. dies. So that is three more seasons Wallace Shawn will hopefully have a major role on Young Sheldon.
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #5
GentlemanJim
Casual Observer

I was surprised to learn that there is only 6 years difference in the ages of the actors portraying Frank and Henry Reagan.