Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Green Acres links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Green Acres Photo Gallery

Green Acres - The Complete First Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete First Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Second Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Third Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season

Buy Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season on DVD
Green Acres - Complete Series

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Green Acres

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Punky Brewster Reboot Officially a Go; Freeform Renews Pair of Series
Fri-Yay: Sitcoms in 2020; Peacock Streaming Services Programming Update
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: Cable Day 2 - American Dad! 2 Season Renewal, Tacoma FD Season 2 Premiere Date
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: Cable Day 1 - Comedy Central, Amazon, Paramount Network and More!
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: Showtime and Pop; Will Smith & Martin Lawrence Talk Hit Sitcoms
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: NBC and CBS Includes The Rock Comedy at NBC and The Price Is Right at Night on CBS
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 13, 2020)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December/January)

Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One

11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) (Blu-ray)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/06 - 9JKL - The Complete Series
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Atlanta - Season 2 - Robbin' Season
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
12/17 - Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Series (2019 Release)
12/17 - The Other Two - Season 1
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-15-2019, 01:19 AM   #1
SitcomsHeydayfan

Default We don't ever see Eb's parents do we?

It's ridiculous that such a young guy like Eb would never ever be seen with his parents & even more ridiculous that he keeps calling the Douglases "mom and dad" when he has a REAL mom & dad!
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:19 AM   #2
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitcomsHeydayfan View Post
It's ridiculous that such a young guy like Eb would never ever be seen with his parents & even more ridiculous that he keeps calling the Douglases "mom and dad" when he has a REAL mom & dad!
Were they ever even mentioned ? Maybe they were supposed to be deceased? Eb calling The Douglas's Mom and Dad, maybe he felt as if they were like his adoptive parents!
Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
PhoenixAcres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegirl View Post
Were they ever even mentioned ? Maybe they were supposed to be deceased? Eb calling The Douglas's Mom and Dad, maybe he felt as if they were like his adoptive parents!
I don't know if Eb ever directly mentioned his parents. In one episode he said he was born in Appleville, so it's possible they still lived there.
PhoenixAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #4
PracTz

Not invalid that we don't see Eb's parents.

However; since Eb seems to have had nowhere to go besides the Douglases' barn and he's constantly trying to tag Oliver and Lisa 'Dad' and 'Mom', it's likely the Dawsons were either too destitute to even visit or help him out OR he could have been completely estranged from them (but that wouldn't be a particular funny plot point for this wacky sitcom so that's why they likely never tried to go there).

What's even odder is that there was but a single appearance of Barney's mother on "The Andy Griffith Show" -despite her evidently living in or near Mayberry (and I'll start a thread under that show).
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:58 PM   #5
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
In the episode "Jealousy" today on MeTV Eb mentions his parents although I don't recall exactly what he said although it was NOT that they're dead.

He was looking for a new place after cute little Lori moved in & he got upset. He went to the spare room at Drucker's but it was too expensive at $3 a day!

Why didn't he just go to his parents house?? Very strange that they never adequately explained his parents during the entire series!
Old 12-18-2019, 12:26 AM   #6
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
In the episode "Jealousy" today on MeTV Eb mentions his parents although I don't recall exactly what he said although it was NOT that they're dead.

He was looking for a new place after cute little Lori moved in & he got upset. He went to the spare room at Drucker's but it was too expensive at $3 a day!

Why didn't he just go to his parents house?? Very strange that they never adequately explained his parents during the entire series!

3 dollars a day, so that is 21 a week, 84 a month! What would 84 dollars in the 1960's be equivalent to nowadays ?

And if his parents still lived in Appleville , maybe that would be too far for Eb to live and commute to work at the Douglas's in Hooterville!
Old 12-19-2019, 12:21 AM   #7
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
3 dollars a day, so that is 21 a week, 84 a month! What would 84 dollars in the 1960's be equivalent to nowadays ?

And if his parents still lived in Appleville , maybe that would be too far for Eb to live and commute to work at the Douglas's in Hooterville!
On Green Acres they mentioned Pixley, Crabwell Corners, & of course Hooterville.

When did they mention Appleville??
Old 12-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #8
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
On Green Acres they mentioned Pixley, Crabwell Corners, & of course Hooterville.

When did they mention Appleville??

IDK?But PhoenixAcres said it in his post, ( Post 3 here) that Eb had said he was born in Appleville ! And PhoenixAcres knows his Green Acres pretty well!
Old 12-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
PhoenixAcres

Quote:
IDK?But PhoenixAcres said it in his post, ( Post 3 here) that Eb had said he was born in Appleville ! And PhoenixAcres knows his Green Acres pretty well!
Aw thanks Bonnie

It was actually the punchline of a throwaway joke, after Oliver said something like "Where did you come from?" and Eb started to go into the details of his birth.

I actually couldn't remember what episode this line was from until I found this page, which confirms it was from the Beverly Hillbillies episode: http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/ga55.asp
Old 01-06-2020, 07:25 AM   #10
TheLittleFaerie
Frequent Poster

Perhaps Eb was an orphan or foster child and never really knew his parents

It's been a while since I've seen many episodes, but didn't Eb used to work for Mr. Haney when he owned the farm? Maybe Haney took Eb in and gave him a job on the farm at a young age.
TheLittleFaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:03 PM   #11
Duster76
Forum Regular

Quote:
Wait a second, are you actually looking for logic and reason and some kind of realism in Green Acres!

Remember what Johnny Carson once said, "if you buy the premise, you buy the bit", when you're watching Green Acres anything can happen from the Eiffel Tower showing up in Washington DC, to snowfall in Chicago in July, to Mason Dixon Dehydrated Chicken Dinner (remember the powder goes in boiling water and a few minutes later Lisa is pulling out a chicken leg, smashed potatoes, and an apple pie). And speaking of parents, the actress who played Oliver's mother in the early episodes (Eleanor Audley) was only 5 months older Eddie Albert.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:50 AM   #12
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster76 View Post
Wait a second, are you actually looking for logic and reason and some kind of realism in Green Acres!

Remember what Johnny Carson once said, "if you buy the premise, you buy the bit", when you're watching Green Acres anything can happen from the Eiffel Tower showing up in Washington DC, to snowfall in Chicago in July, to Mason Dixon Dehydrated Chicken Dinner (remember the powder goes in boiling water and a few minutes later Lisa is pulling out a chicken leg, smashed potatoes, and an apple pie). And speaking of parents, the actress who played Oliver's mother in the early episodes (Eleanor Audley) was only 5 months older Eddie Albert.
Of course I know how downright SILLY this show is. In fact it's probably the SILLIEST most unrealistic sitcom out there!

But I just thought they could've shown Eb's parents at least ONCE in the 6 years of the show!
Old 01-15-2020, 09:56 PM   #13
Duster76
Forum Regular

I don't consider Green Acres silly, it's an extremely important show that influenced a generation of comedians and comedy writers. Matt Groening (creator of "The Simpsons") has publicly acknowledged the influence the show had on him, Roseanne, Ben Stiller, Stephen Hillenburg (SpongeBob) just to name a few also mentioned the series as an influence. The show is a comedy showcase of sight gags, physical comedy, contemporary political parodies, there are so many things going on and jokes come so close together that you have to watch episodes multiple times to catch them all.

I think Green Acres is one the three best comedy series of the 1960's (and it's my favorite series). I think many people who dismiss the show see it as just another rural sitcom and in doing so completely miss the one overriding point to the series and all the incredible comedic elements.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #14
PhoenixAcres

Quote:
I don't consider Green Acres silly, it's an extremely important show that influenced a generation of comedians and comedy writers. Matt Groening (creator of "The Simpsons") has publicly acknowledged the influence the show had on him, Roseanne, Ben Stiller, Stephen Hillenburg (SpongeBob) just to name a few also mentioned the series as an influence. The show is a comedy showcase of sight gags, physical comedy, contemporary political parodies, there are so many things going on and jokes come so close together that you have to watch episodes multiple times to catch them all.

I think Green Acres is one the three best comedy series of the 1960's (and it's my favorite series). I think many people who dismiss the show see it as just another rural sitcom and in doing so completely miss the one overriding point to the series and all the incredible comedic elements.
Well said. I couldn't agree more.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:43 PM   #15
Alan Brady's Hair

Quote:
I don't consider Green Acres silly, it's an extremely important show that influenced a generation of comedians and comedy writers.
I think its sense of reality and pacing are closer to Seinfeld than any other sitcom.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote