Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Our Miss Brooks links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Our Miss Brooks Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > Our Miss Brooks

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
Sal

Default Our Miss Brooks in COLOR!

Here's proof that you can find almost anything on the Internet including episodes and clips of classic TV series that were thought to be lost or missing. A good example is "Our Miss Brooks" where, until recently, only a handful of public domain episodes were available online. Last year, I found a collection of over 60 additional episodes from a YouTube user. Today I found 5 more episodes on the Internet Archive --- and they are all in color!!

I'm not exactly sure how they ended up in color unless CBS used it and other series in the 1950s to experiment with color TV broadcasts which didn't become standard viewing until 1965. So what you are going to see is truly a piece of history. Enjoy it and prepare to be amazed!

Our Miss Brooks - Color - 5 episodes
Old 06-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
Hazel Anyday

Thumbs up Color Me Ecstatic

Thank you very much, this was great news and I like to think I'm "hep" to all the scoops on colorization. This is one I haven't heard, fantastic!

From the looks of it it seems to be examples of very early colorizing, probably from the mid to late 1980's. Looks similar to the old early Hal Roach colorizing efforts from the '80's. But though it's not nearly up to today's perfection in colorizing, it's still better than drab b/w.

Me TV showed most of the Our Miss Brooks episodes but they did skip about 3 to 4. Now about 6 months ago I did find a lot of Our Miss Brooks episodes on Youtube but quality of all was far below the Me TV quality. BUT, there was one episode on Youtube which was skipped by ME TV, so that one episode alone was worth watching on utube. If all Miss Brooks episodes are now gone from Utube, they were there once, is all I can tell you.

Now, here's another question for you. About 10 years ago Amazon advertised a Love That Bob DVD that was supposed to have contained about 3 or 4 colorized episodes. Naturally I ordered it, but was thoroughly regusted when I got the DVD and ALL of them were b/w. Ripoff city. Now maybe you can find out if there were ever any colorized episodes of Love That Bob. Now that would be exciting too.

Another disappointement MPI (or was it Shout?) had advertised on a Dobie Gillis disc that the "complete Love That Bob" series was coming "soon". That was several years ago and to date there has been no such miracle. Love That Bob is one series I would love to have complete, it makes me laugh everytime I watch an episode.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #3
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday View Post
Thank you very much, this was great news and I like to think I'm "hep" to all the scoops on colorization. This is one I haven't heard, fantastic!

From the looks of it it seems to be examples of very early colorizing, probably from the mid to late 1980's. Looks similar to the old early Hal Roach colorizing efforts from the '80's. But though it's not nearly up to today's perfection in colorizing, it's still better than drab b/w.

Me TV showed most of the Our Miss Brooks episodes but they did skip about 3 to 4. Now about 6 months ago I did find a lot of Our Miss Brooks episodes on Youtube but quality of all was far below the Me TV quality. BUT, there was one episode on Youtube which was skipped by ME TV, so that one episode alone was worth watching on utube. If all Miss Brooks episodes are now gone from Utube, they were there once, is all I can tell you.

Now, here's another question for you. About 10 years ago Amazon advertised a Love That Bob DVD that was supposed to have contained about 3 or 4 colorized episodes. Naturally I ordered it, but was thoroughly regusted when I got the DVD and ALL of them were b/w. Ripoff city. Now maybe you can find out if there were ever any colorized episodes of Love That Bob. Now that would be exciting too.

Another disappointement MPI (or was it Shout?) had advertised on a Dobie Gillis disc that the "complete Love That Bob" series was coming "soon". That was several years ago and to date there has been no such miracle. Love That Bob is one series I would love to have complete, it makes me laugh everytime I watch an episode.
Happy for you as I know you’re a big fan of colorization.

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
Sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday View Post

The "Our Miss Brooks" videos are still there. There are about 65 episodes in total:

Our Miss Brooks - YouTube

(Check out episode #10 "Buddy". I love the opening credits --- and the commercials too!)

Speaking of Bob Cummings, I love "Love That Bob" too but unlike "Our Miss Brooks" I haven't found any additional episodes other than the usual 10-20 that are already in the public domain and all of those are in black and white only. However, while I was looking for them, I did manage to see a color video showing the opening of his next series "My Living Doll". Take a look:

My Living Doll - Opening credits in color

The video is from a website called Pop-Colorture.com which is run by a classic TV fan who has colorized many TV sitcoms from the past such as "I Love Lucy", "The Munsters", and "The Addams Family" and has produced still photos and short video clips for each show. The site can be found here:

Pop Colorture
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
Hazel Anyday

TV As Felix The Cat would say "Righty-Oh"

Checked after my post and I see Brooks' on Utube are still there, I don't need them thanks to Me TV, but at least they're still available, even if they aren't the remastered versions ME TV ran. I'll check out Buddy there though, Me TV ran no original commerials.

As for Love That Bob, yep, same story here, I've found about 25 episodes though. But everywhere you go it's always those same 25 or so. That series ran a long time and had 100's of episodes, Shout or some company should get back on the stick and release the complete series, such a funny show.

Yes, I've seen that colorized Living Doll opening (I bought the commercial DVD release of Living Doll too, but they never came out with a volume 2 to complete the season. Love That Bob was a much better series anyway.) I've visited that Pop-Colorture website many times, what an absolute genius he is when it comes to colorizing. He's done the very best jobs that I've ever seen done. Even better than the current I Love Lucy colorizers. I also thought the Bewitched Seasons 1 & 2 DVDs looked fantastic colorized. But Pop-Colorture's work looks like it was all filmed in color originally.

My only problem with him is he only posts tiny little excerpts of his great color jobs, never complete episodes. Maybe he's trying to get someone to hire him to do this job right for a TV series official DVD release by teasing with these tiny excerpts (I wish he'd do My Favorite Martian or Dennis The Menace). More likely mindless copyright police would get after him if he ever posted a complete masterpiece color show.

So far no great TV series is available from him. What a shame, he could do a perfect job at colorizing great old TV sitcoms like the "Classic 39" of the Honeymooners or season 1 of Hazel. So many great things that could be happening right now but sadly aren't. Maybe if I live another 100 years I'll see this dream come true.
Hazel Anyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #6
stevea
LITB/FKB Fan

I remember watching reruns of Cummings' show years ago, it used to be widely syndicated. Very funny show. Some popular sitcoms stars from that era, Ann B. Davis, Rosemary De Camp, and Dwayne Hickman. It's owned by Universal--and certainly out of circulation. Bob was what they called a wolf back then, now he'd probably never get his show on the air.

Checked the colorture site--really like what he does--saw the Addams and Munsters clips and they look great.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:16 PM   #7
mcphert1
Occasional Poster

Thanks for the heads up on the colour episodes. I love this show, and am glad that one of my favourite episodes 'The Hurricane' is one of the five colourised. Hi from Australia.
mcphert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
Retro Vic
>-|-< \ /ANTENNA TV\ / >-|-<
Frequent Poster

Quite exciting to see “Our Miss Brooks” in living color!
I am quite the “Our Miss Brooks” fan. I like this show much more than “I Love Lucy”
I have really poor quality amateur DVDs of the show, & like to run a marathon of “Our Miss Brooks” on weekends in between the wasteland TV on Saturdays & Sunday’s. A shame & a tragedy that “Our Miss Brooks” hasn’t had a DVD release.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #9
DustyTrails
Frequent Poster

Always nice to see Our Miss Brooks. I recently saw her guest star on a color show but I forgot what show it was. I also enjoy seeing the science teacher in Growing Pains playing the father and of course WKRP also has one of our favorites star as newsman. I am mistaken or is that granny from Beverly Hillbillies on OMB?
DustyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:18 PM   #10
Retro Vic
>-|-< \ /ANTENNA TV\ / >-|-<
Frequent Poster

Mrs. Davis was not Granny on BHB. She was a Lux radio performer, & played Mrs. Davis for both the radio show & TV as did Eve & Gale, except for the 1st radio broadcast of OMB Miss Brooks is HAZEL! LOL, Shirley Booth.
Attached Images

Retro Vic is offline   Reply With Quote