Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Pluto TV Launches The Price Is Right: The Bob Barker Era Channel; A Very Merry MeTV Every Sunday on MeTV
SNL Hosts for December Announced; JEOPARDY! Announces Final Week of Alex Trebek Episodes Then Ken Jennings Guest Host Week
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 30, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Comes to an End (Again); SNL Lines Up December Hosts
Young Sheldon Starts on Nick at Nite on Monday; Pluto TV Adds 6 More Classic TV Channels
2020 Thanksgiving TV Marathons on TV This Holiday Weekend
HBO Max Comedy Search Party Brings Out the Guest Stars; CW Seed Reunites CW 90210 Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November/December)

Young Sheldon - The Complete Third Season Mom - The Complete Seventh Season The Flintstones - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Second Season The Office - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

09/01 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Season 14
09/01 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete Second Season
09/01 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
09/15 - Mom - The Complete Seventh Season
09/15 - South Side - Season 1
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Second Season
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Third Season
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Fourth Season
09/22 - Man with a Plan - Season Three
09/29 - The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
10/13 - The Jetsons - The Complete Series (Diamond Collection)
10/13 - Our Cartoon President - Season Two
10/23 - Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - The Complete Collection
10/27 - The Flintstones - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
10/27 - Head of the Class - The Complete Second Season (WBShop.com)
11/10 - Letterkenny - Seasons 5 & 6
11/10 - The Office - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
11/10 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Collection
11/17 - Carol's Second Act - The Complete Series
11/17 - Robbie - Season 1
11/24 - Corporate - Season 1
12/01 - The Neighborhood - Season Two
12/15 - Avenue 5 - The Complete First Season

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-28-2020, 07:14 PM   #1
drew790
Forum Regular

Default Final Verdict on the new Unsolved Mysteries

So like the title implies, what's everyone's final thoughts now that we've run through all of the episodes of the revival?

For me, despite some initial enthusiasm in Volume 1 I'm ultimately disappointed.

The new production is too cautious of litigation to discuss theories of relevance or potential suspects, they spend way too much time on things that don't warrant it. Alonzo Brooks' episode is the biggest example of this, almost the whole thing dedicated to the search for the body and not what happened at the party and who it happened with. I come away from the hour not sure of anything and generally not able to come to any conclusions from the little they're still giving despite the extended runtime.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:22 AM   #2
isotope
Forum Regular

Tend to agree - the bloated run times means that that the segments seemed to be full of irrelevant information, endless drone footage and lengthy shots of people staring forlornly into the distance. There is just not enough to differentiate the new UM from any of the other dozens of true crime series out there, and not enough in many of the stories to support a 50 -60 minute show.

It seems strange to say, but I actually thought the Berkshire UFO segment was, on its own terms, the best of the new segments and the one that benefits most from the new format. It was unique, presented something strange and unsettling without providing any answers and avoided the cheesiness that a Stack-era re-enactment and 80s SFX would have provided. It was also the shortest and tightest of the new episodes.
isotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:51 AM   #3
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Case by case:

1. Rey Rivera - highly misleading segment which kind of took me out of the remainder of the reboot.

2. 13 Minutes - interesting case, but this felt more like a Disappeared episode than UM to me.

3. House of Terror - sorry, but could not get into this one at all. Plus, it was fairly obvious what had happened.

4. No Ride Home - this was the first one that felt like a UM segment to me. And it was fairly balanced in terms of foul play/accidental.

5. Berkshires UFO - terrible segment.

6. Missing Witness - I enjoyed this one but it didn't feel like UM. Felt like a "Betrayed" episode.

7. Washington Inside Murder - Rey Rivera 2.0

8. Death in Oslo - too much time was spent on the ridiculous "espionage" angle instead of trying to find out who this woman was.

9. Death Row Fugitive - this was the best segment of the reboot, IMO, and felt like classic UM to me.

10. Tsunami Spirits - this was enjoyable and informative on Japanese culture. It went off the rails when they got to the ridiculous ghost parts.

11. Lady in the Lake - Rey Rivera 3.0

12. Stolen Kids - haven't seen this one yet.

All in all, an overall disappointment. My biggest gripe is how with the new format of one case per episode, they could have given out more information about each case...yet either exaggerated or outright omitted facts from cases to paint a scenario deemed more "mysterious". I get it. UM is a television show and is in the entertainment business. At least the classic UM could get away with it because each segment had to fit within 12-15 minutes. I think the reboot should have chosen more cases that could were actually solvable. Which was the entire premise of the original.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

It's "Unsolved Mysteries" in name only. Change up the music, sure. Flirt with a new, host-less format, okay. As others have said though, the selection of and way cases have been presented make it indistinguishable from the plethora of other true crime shows out there (and ultimately, makes UM 2.0 look more and more like a lazy attempt to cash in on the popularity of the genre).

Hoping the official podcast they launch in 2021 will be better.
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
ScaryFog
Frequent Poster

The bloated times does it for me. I look and see it’s 42 minutes and it’s almost like you have to make time for it, like it’s a chore.

I appreciate that this and other true crime shows shine a light on unsolved crimes. The Hunt with John Walsh resulted in several captures. But that too was bloated.

A 15 to 20 minute segment is enough. I don’t need this persons entire backstory. I’ve been finding that I can’t sit through an entire segment, I’ll pause it and continue later.
ScaryFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #6
rusty spike
Forum Regular

I've had to rewind and rewatch after dozing off.

I'm sort of embarrassed that I can't stay awake. I think a host would help me keep better engaged with the segments.
rusty spike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #7
ScaryFog
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty spike View Post

I'm sort of embarrassed that I can't stay awake. I think a host would help me keep better engaged with the segments.
Robert Stack made you afraid to close your eyes.
ScaryFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:45 PM   #8
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty spike View Post

Same. I've said it so many times now "I need to watch it again" but I've watched Alonzo Brooks twice now and I still feel like I came away with nothing. The search for the body was not the story, the story is the party but they didn't want to implicate anyone evidently and risk being sued.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:49 PM   #9
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFog View Post

I appreciate that this and other true crime shows shine a light on unsolved crimes. The Hunt with John Walsh resulted in several captures. But that too was bloated.

They've deliberately chosen mysteries that can't be solved and that's the biggest failing of the new show. They can't risk one of their cases being solved in the two years it takes to film and release it, they have a finite episode count ordered and a with one story a pop there's no room to throw in an extra segment like the old show did when that sort of thing would happen. So they've gone for cases that aren't mysteries at all and in no danger of being solved.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:19 AM   #10
Zero
Forum Regular

Do you all have ADHD or something? Or work 14 hour days? 45 - 50 minutes is too long? Have to make time for it? Lose interest/fall asleep after 20 minutes? Pretty sad.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #11
alistaircranium
Forum Regular

My main issues are with the music and re-enactments. It was a mistake to go with boring piano music instead of a synthesizer. Also, there is no dialogue in the re-enactments and you rarely see the actorsí faces.

I think the show considers itself Prestige TV because itís on Netflix and has conformed to an idea of what Prestige TV should be instead of staying true to the things that made the original series interesting and unique.
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:39 PM   #12
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Or work 14 hour days?
I happen to, yes.

I'm sorry you find that sad.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:46 PM   #13
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
5. Berkshires UFO - terrible segment.
Sorry, this just cracked me up because you had an explanation by each one and then for this one you were so unimpressed this is all you wrote.

I do think Stolen Kids was a solid segment, so I would definitely recommend watching it. I was glad they also put the missing posters and age progressions of several other children at the end to give them more attention.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #14
Gelatinous Goo
Forum Regular

Based on everyone's reviews, I don't think I'll even bother watching most of the reboot. There are enough of these types of shows on TV already. No, thank you.

If there's one episode that I will likely watch, it's Lester Eubanks.

Somebody brought up The Hunt with John Walsh. Come to think of it, you're right--some episodes were a bit bloated. Many of them were indeed watchable and I strongly desire more new content. Hoping this show comes back. Also, they already covered Lester Eubanks. It wasn't one of their strongest efforts. There's lots more to cover that they omitted, hence my interest in checking out UM's take on the case.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #15
lori19
Occasional Poster

I wanted so much to love the reboot. It was Unsolved Mysteries that got me hooked on true crime and being generally fascinated with things that couldn't be easily explained. The only thing I like about the reboot is Robert Stack in silhouette during the opening credits. It takes me forever to get through 1 episode...I find myself stopping after 20 minutes and coming back to it later. But once I got to House of Terror, they completely lost me. It doesn't stand out to me like the original. It's a shame, they could've done so much better.
lori19 is offline   Reply With Quote