Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Politics / Random Posts

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess
COZI TV's Thanksgiving Weekend Unexpected Guests Marathon; MeTV Salutes Veteran's Day with M*A*S*H
Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All in the Family & Good Times on Dec. 18; NBC Orders More Superstore Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Reports: Maroon 5 will perform at Super Bowl halftime in Atlanta

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/...me-1202947983/

The multiple-sourced reports, first from Us Weekly and later Variety, that NBC's The Voice star Adam Levine and his Los Angeles-based band will perform at Super Bowl LIII in the music-rich city of Atlanta were met with ridicule on Twitter. "(H)aving the super bowl in atlanta and getting maroon 5 to perform at halftime is like going to pappadeaux and asking the waiter to bring you some long john silver’s," tweeted The Ringer writer Shea Serrano. "Atlanta, home of Outkast, T.I., Future, Ludacris, Usher, etc., gets Maroon 5 to play the damn Super Bowl," tweeted Jake Reuse. The NFL declined to confirm Maroon 5 is performing, while the band couldn't be reached for comment. “It’s a Super Bowl tradition to speculate about the performers for the Pepsi Halftime Show. We are continuing to work with Pepsi on our plans but do not have any announcements to make on what will be another epic show," the NFL said in a statement. Earlier this year, two-time Super Bowl halftime performer Bruno Mars urged the NFL to tap a hip-hop artist. "@NFL you have the opportunity to celebrate incredible Hip Hop Artist from Atlanta Next year," he tweeted. "This isn't a band known for spectacle, like Madonna, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, or even Bruno Mars," added Matt Miller. "This is a band that's somehow less interesting than Coldplay...I get why Maroon 5 is a logical choice. They're safe during a time when the NFL doesn't want to take risks, when a political statement would be disastrous, when they couldn't afford the subtle messages of a Beyoncé show. Maroon 5 has somehow kept itself relevant by buying some of the biggest features in music, from SZA, Cardi B, A$AP Rocky, and even the untouchable Kendrick Lamar. The only saving grace of a Maroon 5 halftime show is the possibility of any of these artists showing up to perform. That will not prevent the inevitable outcome, which is that everyone will forget Maroon 5 performed at the Super Bowl Halftime Show as Maroon 5 performs the Super Bowl Halftime Show."

Maroon 5 as Super Bowl halftime performer feels like a slap in the fact of hip-hop

Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta was a chance for the NFL to showcase some of the "rich hip-hop history and hit-making that have become synonymous with the ATL for the past 25 years," says Stereo Williams. "The NFL still seems a bit skittish about presenting rappers on its biggest stage," he adds. "A peripheral factor in the fallout from 2004’s Janet Jackson 'Nipplegate' scandal was that some were offended by the performances of Nelly, Kid Rock and Diddy at that show. Crotch-grabs, strippers-as-cheerleaders, some kind of Kid Rock American flag poncho—it all fell into the mix that was the pearl-clutching of network censors and pontificating politicians. Jackson felt the brunt of that backlash, but it also lingered over the Super Bowl for years. That’s why we mostly got a parade of granddad-rock halftime shows (The Who, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney) for almost a decade. Some of these artists were just as brazen and 'dangerous' in their younger days; but by the early 2000s, the classic rock guys had become the 'safe' alternative to these wild and crazy rappers." While things began to loosen up a bit in the 2010s when Madonna was joined by Nicki Minaj and M.I.A., it feels like the NFL has an aversion to rappers as headliners on its biggest stage. "The Maroon 5 choice feels like a 'safe' one—much like Justin Timberlake did this year," says Williams. "These artists have big hits, like Maroon 5’s Cardi B-assisted 'Girls Like You,' but it doesn’t feel as though they’re the defining pop stars of the moment. They also don’t have a “legends in the game” reputation. They just seem like white guys with big hits and just enough blandness to not terrify the more conservative corners of NFL viewership."

ALSO:
  • In defense of a Maroon 5 halftime show: "Is Maroon 5 the best or most popular band? Of course not," says Michael Baumann. "Does Maroon 5’s music appeal to a boring, down-the-middle, white bourgeois taste? It does indeed. And you know what? That’s fine. It’s the Super Bowl halftime show, not the f*cking papacy. The Super Bowl halftime show hasn’t been emblematic of what’s cool or representative of broader American music in at least 15 years. Justin Timberlake, a far zeitgeist-ier artist than Maroon 5 has ever been, played the halftime show last year, and he sucked."
    "You could have gone with Usher, Outkast, Ludacris or Migos," says Dan Wolken. "You could have mixed in a little John Mayer, who launched his career in Atlanta, or brought back grunge rock with Collective Soul. Elton John and Justin Bieber live at least part-time in Atlanta. You could have even given a nod to country with Zac Brown Band or Jason Aldean. The point is, from CeeLo Green to Killer Mike to Future to TI, Lil Yachty, the bench here is pretty deep and diverse."
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
JO Sweet Heart

When this show takes place, it will be 25 years since the only all country music half time show that I am aware of.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. The sad thing is that even if another country music half time show were to have happened instead of what's being planned, it wouldn't be as traditional compared to the one all of them years ago with country music being the way that it is now.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:00 AM   #3
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Dave Grohl says Foo Fighters have had "multiple conversations over the years" to do Super Bowl halftime

“I’ve had multiple conversations over the years with them where they say, ‘We want to have a rock and roll band. Do you think you could do it? Do you think you could do a stadium,” Grohl said Friday in an interview on Los Angeles radio station KROQ. “I was like, yeah man, we do it all the time. You get so close. And you think, Oh my God, I think we’re going to do the Super Bowl, and then it’ll be Madonna or Katy Perry.” Meanwhile, drummer Taylor Hawkins threw some shade at the reported selection of Maroon 5 for next year's halftime show. “Not to be negative to Maroon 5, but it always feels like the final chapter to your career,” he said. “We’re just trying to come up with excuses for why we haven’t done it.”
Old 09-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Location: Living in the depths of mourning over the loss of Grumpy Cat, though rejoicing our idol is now in a place of happiness.
Confused Why the conundrum?

Why should every Superbowl half-time show feature rap, hip-hop, and dance-pop entertainers every year? Why NOT a rock band?
Old 09-30-2018, 04:41 PM   #5
MA
Once Upon A Christmas
Forum Legend

When was the last time a rock band performed at the Super Bowl?

And many other guys too.

Netflix, please add Home Improvement

Goodnight, sweet prince. Harry Anderson 1952-2018

Errrrrrruuuuuuuuahhh?? - Tim Allen
MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #6
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Location: Living in the depths of mourning over the loss of Grumpy Cat, though rejoicing our idol is now in a place of happiness.

I think nearly ten years ago, what was left of The Who performed there. It was kind of a non-event.
ABlairican Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #7
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Rihanna reportedly turned down Super Bowl halftime show in solidarity with Colin Kaepernick

Us Weekly reports Rihanna declined an offer from CBS and the NFL to headline the Feb. 3 Super Bowl LIII halftime show because "she supports Colin Kaepernick," the quarterback who has been out of the NFL for nearly two years after kneeling during the National Anthem. Maroon 5 has reportedly landed the halftime gig instead, but the NFL has yet to make a formal announcement. “The NFL and CBS really wanted Rihanna to be next year’s performer in Atlanta,” an insider tells Us Weekly. “They offered it to her, but she said no because of the kneeling controversy. She doesn’t agree with the NFL’s stance.”
Old 10-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABlairican Pie View Post
I think nearly ten years ago, what was left of The Who performed there. It was kind of a non-event.
I'm waiting for Metallica to perform the Halftime Show, but that'll happen when The Cleveland Clowns are in the Super Bowl as well!

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #9
retroTVfan4ever

In my opinion, Metallica is way overrated. Most of the big name bands that are popular with the masses are way overrated. It's the lesser known bands that usually have the best music.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
tlc38tlc38
Every day’s a Dolly day!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Rihanna reportedly turned down Super Bowl halftime show in solidarity with Colin Kaepernick

Us Weekly reports Rihanna declined an offer from CBS and the NFL to headline the Feb. 3 Super Bowl LIII halftime show because "she supports Colin Kaepernick," the quarterback who has been out of the NFL for nearly two years after kneeling during the National Anthem. Maroon 5 has reportedly landed the halftime gig instead, but the NFL has yet to make a formal announcement. “The NFL and CBS really wanted Rihanna to be next year’s performer in Atlanta,” an insider tells Us Weekly. “They offered it to her, but she said no because of the kneeling controversy. She doesn’t agree with the NFL’s stance.”
Just another reason to not like her.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #11
JO Sweet Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever View Post
In my opinion, Metallica is way overrated. Most of the big name bands that are popular with the masses are way overrated. It's the lesser known bands that usually have the best music.
I second this. Can you believe that its been 25 years since the release of this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY0RvAT6fZU

God bless you and every member of this butt kicking awesome band always!!!

Holly

P.S. I've seen recent clips and the lead guy can still bring it and his 60th birthday is in five more days.
JO Sweet Heart is offline   Reply With Quote