Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Gimme a Break! Online / Gimme a Break! links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Gimme a Break! Photo Gallery

Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal)

Buy Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD if you are in the US
/ Buy in Canada
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
/ Buy in Canada

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Gimme a Break!

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
chris jacob
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to chris jacob
Default after the Chief Died

after the chief died did the rasitings go down?

Last edited by TJ; 07-20-2019 at 10:35 AM.
chris jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #2
Smartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris jacob
after the chief died did the rasitings go down?

Yes, I believe that the ratings did start to fall after the death of the chief. The writers really did not know how to re-engineer the show in his absence. However, the real kiss of death was the move to New York at the beginning of the last season. The sixth season was, pretty much, a joke in its own time!
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #3
chris jacob
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to chris jacob

I liked it better when the cheif was on it you?
chris jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #4
Smartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris jacob
I liked it better when the cheif was on it you?

I agree that it was pretty hard to make a go of it with the chief gone. Without he and Nell to play against each other, the writers really did not know what to do.
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Location: I'm just a slightly overweight boy from Cleveland Ohio!
Oh No

I believe the rating did go down.

Though Season 6 was dull...Season 5 seemed to be a struggling season.

Though Nell and Addie would compete...it wasn't like Nell and Chief, since Chief's daughters would side with Nell more often.

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #6
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

It was very sad when the Chief died, and of course very sad because Dolph Sweet really did die ! That must be really rough to the cast of a show if a cast member passes ! But one bright light to the show was the addition of Jonathan ! But it would have been really cool had he not passed would be the interaction between Chief and Jonathan (Father in law and Son in law) The Chief made Jonathan nervous and he got even clumsier around him! I think lots of funny story lines could have centered around them!

At that point after his death, I wish the story could have centered more around Julie, Jonathan and the baby! And the last season instead of Nell moving to NY , they should have kept Julie and Jonathan in the show and had Nell move to San Jose with them and been baby Nell's Nanny!
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:10 PM   #7
Wildchats
Me
Forum Regular

One more season at the house would have been best. Season 6 should have had the same feel season 5 did. All the family around, minus the Chief.

Seasons 1-2 the show feels old. Like from the 70s. The girls are a lot younger, especially Samantha.

Seasons 3-4 the show has a similar feel as Joey was added and Addy. Sam just grows her hair longer in season 4. But she starts talking about boys in seasons 3-4. So it has a similar feel.

Season 5 and if they kept the show at the house for season 6 would have had all the family minus the Chief. And of course, baby Nell in season 6. I doubt the show would have lasted more than season 6 or even into season 7 if they stayed at the house, but I doubt anyone would have been released. All the girls, Simpson, Addy, Grandpa, Jonathan and Joey would have still been there. We wouldn't have gotten Matthew, or maybe we would have. Maybe Tim would have dropped him off in season 6.

www.MarkSinacori.com
Check out my website!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3254521/?nmdp=1&
Check out my IMDB page!

https://www.facebook.com/MarkTSinacori
My public facebook! Please like it!

https://www.facebook.com/MarkTSinacori
My twitter page! Please follow me!

www.instagram.com/marksinacrori
My instagram page! Please follow me!
Wildchats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #8
Heenan Fan

Chief passing away = Jumping The Shark imho. And like Bonniegirl already said, the fact that Dolf really died made it even more tense/bizarre!
Heenan Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #9
Heenan Fan

Wow, I'm shocked. I just looked up GMAB ratings and discovered they never broke the top 30 at all during the history of the show!! That shocks me. Everybody I know watched this show, especially from season 2-5. CRAZY!
Old 05-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegirl View Post
It was very sad when the Chief died, and of course very sad because Dolph Sweet really did die ! That must be really rough to the cast of a show if a cast member passes ! But one bright light to the show was the addition of Jonathan ! But it would have been really cool had he not passed would be the interaction between Chief and Jonathan (Father in law and Son in law) The Chief made Jonathan nervous and he got even clumsier around him! I think lots of funny story lines could have centered around them!

At that point after his death, I wish the story could have centered more around Julie, Jonathan and the baby! And the last season instead of Nell moving to NY , they should have kept Julie and Jonathan in the show and had Nell move to San Jose with them and been baby Nell's Nanny!
I've not seen this show in DECADES so I don't know who those characters are besides Nell and the Chief but Ted Knight also died during Too Close For Comfort and then they had to end the show because he was the STAR of the show!
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #11
ramled
Frequent Poster

I love Nell Carter. I think she was ultra-talented. I always thought that Gimmie A Break was a medicre show. Average writing at best. Average acting with some moments of greatness, especially for Nell Carter.
ramled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:46 AM   #12
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heenan Fan View Post
Wow, I'm shocked. I just looked up GMAB ratings and discovered they never broke the top 30 at all during the history of the show!! That shocks me. Everybody I know watched this show, especially from season 2-5. CRAZY!
I remember watching it sometimes as a kid. Some episodes were good but remember the 80s were the PEAK of both sitcom AND dramatic television with shows like Dallas, Dynasty, etc.

So there was TONS of competition!
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:24 PM   #13
Heenan Fan

I guess so.