Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: ABC; Antenna TV Acquires The Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, Who's the Boss? and More
Dancing with the Stars Cast for Season 28; Lilly Singh Gets NBC Primetime Special
Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #1
9DeuceCad
Frequent Poster

Default Amazon series, thoughts?

I know it's been a while since Amazon released UM remastered or whatever...but is anyone else upset at how edited the "new" episodes are? No more Keeley Shaye Smith updates, etc? Maybe it's just me, but I wish they would broadcast the original episodes as they were, and if there's updates since the series ended that they would just post them in plain text with the update music. I miss the UM I used to watch when I got to stay home from school sick in the 90's/early 2000's
9DeuceCad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:27 AM   #2
tsaun
Frequent Poster

I'm okay with how they're edited. Keely Shaye Smith is on there.

I do miss the NBC/Lifetime logo on the lower right side of the screen though.
tsaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

The only thing that grates me about the uploaded episodes is showing an update and then on a different episode in the same season showing the same update again.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #4
justins5256

I do wonder why they didn't just take the updates filmed with Stack and put them at the end of their respective segments where applicable, sort of how Lifetime did it back in the 90s. Then, they could do the onscreen writing for cases that were updated more recently, or at least after Stack's death. It would have been a good idea.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
JannTosh
Forum Regular

I don't like how they got rid of some of the Stack narrated updates in favor of just a text update. The Susan Harrison segment is a prime example

also dont' care how many segments are missing.
JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9DeuceCad
I know it's been a while since Amazon released UM remastered or whatever...but is anyone else upset at how edited the "new" episodes are? No more Keeley Shaye Smith updates, etc? Maybe it's just me, but I wish they would broadcast the original episodes as they were, and if there's updates since the series ended that they would just post them in plain text with the update music. I miss the UM I used to watch when I got to stay home from school sick in the 90's/early 2000's
I like the Amazon episodes overall. I think it is as close as we will ever get to seeing the original episodes as they aired. For the most part, they are exactly as they aired. The thing I miss the most is hearing the Danny Dark disclaimer at the beginning. His voice was awesome and helped set the eerie/scary/creepy tone for the episodes.

I wish there weren't so many missing segments either, but to some extent it is understandable. I'm surprised there aren't more missing because of people suing or threatening to sue CM because of how some of the cases made them look.

The only thing I think is odd is how they replaced missing episodes with cases from other episodes. I wish they would have just left them out if they needed to and let it be. It's on Amazon, so who cares if the episode is 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or 90 minutes. I don't think they need to rebalance the way they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The only thing that grates me about the uploaded episodes is showing an update and then on a different episode in the same season showing the same update again.
I agree with this, too. I would prefer the update stay with the actual case, but I think CM was trying to provide the update to the case while also trying to preserve the show the way it aired. It is pretty awkward, though. If someone watched the case on Amazon, they know the update and if they didn't, they probably don't care.

In the end, though, I do think CM did a good job of balancing everything to give us UM as close as they could to the way it originally aired.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #7
9DeuceCad
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaun View Post
I'm okay with how they're edited. Keely Shaye Smith is on there.

I do miss the NBC/Lifetime logo on the lower right side of the screen though.
I'm on Season 5 and haven't seen her yet, or maybe I was drunk and missed it

I agree about the repetitive updates. That being said, when UM was originally airing people weren't binge-watching 4 episodes at a time so if the update was a repeat it seemed a little less like they were beating a dead horse.

All in all, I am still happy Amazon has it in something to close to original form

Last edited by 9DeuceCad; 07-20-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9DeuceCad View Post
I'm on Season 5 and haven't seen her yet, or maybe I was drunk and missed it
I donít think they added her until season seven.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:04 PM   #9
9DeuceCad
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256 View Post
I donít think they added her until season seven.
Well now that would explain it. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2019, 03:56 PM   #10
Chichester Crowe
You el sickos will pay.
Frequent Poster

I can't stand how they re-recorded the original disclaimer!!!!!!!!

When I finally put the FilmRise episodes on physical media, you can be damn sure that I'm going to edit the original disclaimer back in.

Also, the editing is just plain stupid. The reasons they give (family's request, statute of limitations) are also just plain bunk. There's plenty of cases still in the program that have surpassed the statute of limitations, and if a crime was involved, then it's a matter of public record, so no need to "protect the dead" so to speak.

Hoaxes belong here, too. Gulf Breeze is a good segment. It featured a whole crowd of UFO witnesses as well as other interviewee's testimonies that had no connection to the Ed Walters Hoax.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:27 PM   #11
9DeuceCad
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichester Crowe View Post

When I finally put the FilmRise episodes on physical media, you can be damn sure that I'm going to edit the original disclaimer back in.
I'm not a fan of it either. I was pretty young when UM was originally on air (not sure if NBC or when it was on Lifetime) but I always remembered it being a womans voice. To this day (even before I started watching on Amazon) I could always recite word-for-word the disclaimer with the exact same inflections as the original. The disclaimer itself was always pretty spooky.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
tarheelslim
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Also, the editing is just plain stupid. The reasons they give (family's request, statute of limitations) are also just plain bunk. There's plenty of cases still in the program that have surpassed the statute of limitations, and if a crime was involved, then it's a matter of public record, so no need to "protect the dead" so to speak.
Public records are still public. UM is not public record. The segments involve family members speaking on what may have been the worst moment of their lives (and occasionally even acting them out), and if they don't want to sign off on letting that be other people's entertainment in perpetuity, I'm okay with that.

I would like to see the unedited episodes. But there's so, so many segments that are available...
tarheelslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #13
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:

Hoaxes belong here, too. Gulf Breeze is a good segment. It featured a whole crowd of UFO witnesses as well as other interviewee's testimonies that had no connection to the Ed Walters Hoax.

But there is something to be said for protecting the living. We're a pretty niche group of followers that are still talking about these cases that have been omitted. But imagine you're the Countess of Cleveland for example, and have turned your life around after doing your time (I don't know whether that's true) and you've rebuilt your life. Suddenly you're all over Amazon Prime and Youtube from 30 years ago scamming money and demanding people get into kaars destroying everything you've built. To say nothing if any of the people went as far as to receive actual pardons.

Now, I think the way they handled all of this in the new version to be sloppy and haphazard don't get me wrong. "No parental kidnappings", then Jonathan Ortiz rocks up happily solved and we all know how that really ended up. I get why they did it for the most part, I just wish they had been consistent.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #14
Chichester Crowe
You el sickos will pay.
Frequent Poster

Fair enough, I can see your points.

But what about the Tallman Ghost? Those folks were interviewed in silhouette and their names were changed. The only thing with an identity was the house itself. That segment was a personal favorite, and quite possibly the spookiest supernatural segment of the entire series (it originally aired on the Halloween episode, Season 1).

I'm also confused about the Mike Riemer segment. Evidence now potentially vindicates him as a suspect, and indicates a potential serial murderer.

What about Bobby Oberholtzer and Anette Schnee? The list goes on and on...
Chichester Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #15
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Fair enough, I can see your points.

But what about the Tallman Ghost? Those folks were interviewed in silhouette and their names were changed. The only thing with an identity was the house itself. That segment was a personal favorite, and quite possibly the spookiest supernatural segment of the entire series (it originally aired on the Halloween episode, Season 1).

I'm also confused about the Mike Riemer segment. Evidence now potentially vindicates him as a suspect, and indicates a potential serial murderer.

What about Bobby Oberholtzer and Anette Schnee? The list goes on and on...

Well, "haphazard" .... lol.

But at the same time .... The Tallmans wanted a high level of privacy even when the original segment was made. Silhouette was fine in 1988 but we have the internet now. You can google or social media hunt them down, and again there's our small group vs Prime and Youtube reexposing the story to a mass audience.

Segments of the others type I get even if I'd want them included (and I do). They spent most of the segments accusing innocent people of murder, no 10 second "Update: He actually didn't kill her" is going to make up for spending 15 minutes saying otherwise. Though Orange Socks was apparently a "fit" issue.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazonprime, umnew, unsolvedmysteries