Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 2, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman Remake for TBS; Schitt's Creek Producer Hoping to Replicate Success with Son of a Critch
Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...
Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show
Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu
Damon Wayans Jr. to Host Frogger; Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Getting All-Star Guests

New on DVD/Blu-ray (March-July)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)

03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
08/03 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #181
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Seemed like a nice guy to me.
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #182
wiseguy182
Forum Veteran

did anyone else think it was weird that Tim would publicly acknowledge that he failed the lie detector tests? That seems really odd to me (not that anything Tim did made sense, LOL!) The only people that really now for sure whether he failed or not would be the person who issued it, and I'm sure law enforcement was informed about it. Why would Tim acknowledge he failed when he didn't see the results? It's almost as if he admitted that he lied during the test.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #183
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
did anyone else think it was weird that Tim would publicly acknowledge that he failed the lie detector tests? That seems really odd to me (not that anything Tim did made sense, LOL!) The only people that really now for sure whether he failed or not would be the person who issued it, and I'm sure law enforcement was informed about it. Why would Tim acknowledge he failed when he didn't see the results? It's almost as if he admitted that he lied during the test.
Because if he hadn't, then UM's researchers would have asked law enforcement officials, who would have confirmed that McClure failed? And he would look worse either NOT mentioning that he had taken the test at all - like he had something to hide - or lying about the test itself and claiming he had passed when he hadn't?

Why would you assume Tim hadn't seen or heard about the results?
Old 11-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #184
wiseguy182
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartpc27
Why would you assume Tim hadn't seen or heard about the results?
well, the segment said his eyes were closed during the test. I'm guessing that's why?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:01 AM   #185
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
well, the segment said his eyes were closed during the test. I'm guessing that's why?
I'm sure they told him if he passed or not once it was over...
mozartpc27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #186
wiseguy182
Forum Veteran

well, I guess I should clarify what I'm getting at.

most people when they fail a lie detector test, will usually say that it was wrong or the test was not an accurate measure of truth, or something like that. But Tim doesn't do that, instead he claims that the test wasn't administered properly, because they made him close his eyes, and the questions were a minute apart. Admittedly, that does seem a little unusual, but I'm not sure any nefarious conclusions could be drawn from it. In other words, I'm not sure how making him close his eyes and asking him questions a minute apart could be linked together with the test not being administered properly, or forcing him to fail the test.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #187
egswanso
Frequent Poster

Quote:
well, I guess I should clarify what I'm getting at.

most people when they fail a lie detector test, will usually say that it was wrong or the test was not an accurate measure of truth, or something like that. But Tim doesn't do that, instead he claims that the test wasn't administered properly, because they made him close his eyes, and the questions were a minute apart. Admittedly, that does seem a little unusual, but I'm not sure any nefarious conclusions could be drawn from it. In other words, I'm not sure how making him close his eyes and asking him questions a minute apart could be linked together with the test not being administered properly, or forcing him to fail the test.
Just like any other test, if it's not done or administered properly, then the results are garbage. McClure's point was simply that 'yeah i failed, anyone would, because they didn't give me the test right' He's saying the exact same thing you claim "most people" would say.
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #188
MegtheEgg86
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egswanso
Just like any other test, if it's not done or administered properly, then the results are garbage. McClure's point was simply that 'yeah i failed, anyone would, because they didn't give me the test right' He's saying the exact same thing you claim "most people" would say.
I wonder what he would've said had the test been administered properly (assuming it wasn't) and he'd received the same results. His golly-gee explanation of "yeah, strangely enough, I flunked the test" wouldn't have had any hard basis.

Are any of us even sure that the closing of one's eyes or the administrator waiting a minute between questions isn't a deviation from the standard? I've never had to take a polygraph.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #189
egswanso
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I wonder what he would've said had the test been administered properly (assuming it wasn't) and he'd received the same results. His golly-gee explanation of "yeah, strangely enough, I flunked the test" wouldn't have had any hard basis.

Are any of us even sure that the closing of one's eyes or the administrator waiting a minute between questions isn't a deviation from the standard? I've never had to take a polygraph.
I suspect it would be, given the stress reactions the test claims to measure, however, I am not an expert on such matters.

Regardless, polygraphs are unreliable enough that his failing (or passing) really isn't determinative of anything.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #190
MegtheEgg86
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
Regardless, polygraphs are unreliable enough that his failing (or passing) really isn't determinative of anything.
Exactly.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #191
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up
Forum 3K Club Member

RE: Polygraphs

Aren't they completely subjective? I thought that the machine's results are always "read" by the examiner who then determines if deception is indicated.

I don't know anything more than what I've read about them. I thought that the proper way to conduct it is to tell the subject all the questions beforehand so there are no surprises, ask ordinary questions like is your name TracyLynnS to determine a baseline of truth, and to ask only questions with a Yes or No answer.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #192
egswanso
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
RE: Polygraphs

Aren't they completely subjective? I thought that the machine's results are always "read" by the examiner who then determines if deception is indicated.

I don't know anything more than what I've read about them. I thought that the proper way to conduct it is to tell the subject all the questions beforehand so there are no surprises, ask ordinary questions like is your name TracyLynnS to determine a baseline of truth, and to ask only questions with a Yes or No answer.
Interpretation is somewhat subjective, yes, but there are standard procedures for administering the test.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:45 AM   #193
wiseguy182
Forum Veteran

Quote:
that's not what I was saying.

So egswanso, do you have any explanation as to how making the subject close his eyes and asking questions a minute apart can be classified as the test not being administered properly?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #194
egswanso
Frequent Poster

Quote:
that's not what I was saying.

So egswanso, do you have any explanation as to how making the subject close his eyes and asking questions a minute apart can be classified as the test not being administered properly?
Sure. Like I said, I'm no expert, but the polygraph measures a few things: breathing patterns, pulse and heart rate, sweating. Making a subject close their eyes is going to effect these: maybe closing their eyes make them relax, maybe it freaks them out because they can't see: either would mess up the baseline and thus mess up results.

Even more so if the time between questions isn't consistent - you're giving the subject time to worry, time to think, time to meditate, time to panic, etc. It's all going to effect the reactions the test measures.

Of course, like I said before, I'm certainly no expert on the tests, and they are inaccurate enough to meaningless anyway. Even if the test was properly administered, it neither confirms or denies his story.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:29 AM   #195
wiseguy182
Forum Veteran

did anyone else think it was weird that Tim and his wife didn't, you know, have sex on their wedding night. What couple doesn't do it on their wedding night?