Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube


Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 2, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman Remake for TBS; Schitt's Creek Producer Hoping to Replicate Success with Son of a Critch
Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...
Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show
Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu
Damon Wayans Jr. to Host Frogger; Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Getting All-Star Guests


New on DVD/Blu-ray (March-July)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)

03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
08/03 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #31
Fletch
Cabin fever
Frequent Poster
 
Fletch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 10, 2002
Posts: 470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T
I think he quietly slipped out of the country with false documents & created a new life for himself somewhere.
Absolutely... people with that frame of mind don't kill themselves out of guilt. He's alive somewhere, hopefully justice catches up with him someday.
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #32
spiraleyes
Member
Occasional Poster
 
spiraleyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 19, 2016
Posts: 98
Default

It's nice to see more discussion on this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T
The letter looks like one of Trump's immigration policy statements. Not sure what the idea was-to try to make it look like he was past of some right-wing group, or been framed for the murder by them. Or was it just his ego trying to justify it & trying to convince himself that most people in the USA would be on his side?
First theory is compelling the part where he says Tanya had been asked to leave the country does lend credence to that theory. I'd lean more to the second one though. When he says that Tanya had lost all sense of her parameters, it does sounds personal. The fact that he opens the letter by sentimentalizing some difficulty writing the letter to his victim's parents makes my stomach turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I highly doubt he killed himself after sending a grandstanding letter like that to her family. I bet he's living somewhere in Canada under an assumed name.
Yup and not only that but the fact he drove nearly 20 hours after the murder does not point to suicide. If killing himself was his plan, he would have done it before. Then the fact that he left a note in his car saying he had returned to the states tells me he was trying to throw off the police so he'd have a better chance of getting away undetected also not pointing to suicide.

It's incredibly creepy to think this guy is still out there. Somewhere...
spiraleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #33
MegtheEgg86
Member
Forum 4K Club Member
 
MegtheEgg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 19, 2008
Location: The Volunteer State
Posts: 4,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiraleyes
Yup and not only that but the fact he drove nearly 20 hours after the murder does not point to suicide. If killing himself was his plan, he would have done it before. Then the fact that he left a note in his car saying he had returned to the states tells me he was trying to throw off the police so he'd have a better chance of getting away undetected also not pointing to suicide.

It's incredibly creepy to think this guy is still out there. Somewhere...
I agree with you and Fletch. I know throughout the 1980s and into the early '90s at least, the authorities strongly felt he was alive and possibly being aided by some members of his family while in hiding. I'm not sure what information they have or had to make that public, but if I were betting I'd say it's probably pretty strong.
__________________
"Why is she lying?, it makes me wonder. What is she hiding?, it makes me wonder."

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #34
spiraleyes
Member
Occasional Poster
 
spiraleyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 19, 2016
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Absolutely... people with that frame of mind don't kill themselves out of guilt. He's alive somewhere, hopefully justice catches up with him someday.
It's possible his mindset changed or that he felt differently once he became engulfed in a completely different environment, away from the life he knew and the chaotic life on the run. However, I agree he is alive. Everything in this case points away from suicide.
spiraleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #35
dynoguy88
Member
Forum 3K Club Member
 
dynoguy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 01, 2000
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 3,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T
The letter looks like one of Trump's immigration policy statements. Not sure what the idea was-to try to make it look like he was past of some right-wing group, or been framed for the murder by them. Or was it just his ego trying to justify it & trying to convince himself that most people in the USA would be on his side?
I lean towards the ego. He was going to pull out of thin air any reason possible to justify the murder he had committed. He never had to write that letter. He could have killed her and gone into hiding and nothing had to be different. But going through the trouble of writing those letters feels like confirmation to me that his ego was never going to let him believe anything other than his self inflicted troubles were always going to be somebody else's fault.

It makes you wonder what would have happened if the Dean at the Univesity of Missouri had not been out all day in meetings. What if Richard had killed him too that day (since witnesses on campus feared he was carrying a gun)? What would have gone into a letter Richard had written to HIS family? He couldn't use the immigration excuse there. But he would have thought of something. When you're as delusional as he was, you can convince yourself of anything.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #36
Fletch
Cabin fever
Frequent Poster
 
Fletch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 10, 2002
Posts: 470
Default

Crazy that there isn't a lot about him on the internet... I found this off another board:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/vK4AA...Wm/s-l1600.jpg
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #37
spiraleyes
Member
Occasional Poster
 
spiraleyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 19, 2016
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Crazy that there isn't a lot about him on the internet... I found this off another board:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/vK4AA...Wm/s-l1600.jpg
I saw that on the America's Most Wanted fan site. Interestingly, it says "Bocklage is reportedly an avid outdoorsman who could survive in the wilderness for long periods of time." Yet the detective said it's not his style. I also noticed the age-enhanced photos on that poster are clearer then what was shown on the Unsolved Mysteries episode. I have found nothing that shows the FBI is still actively involved in this case. Yet Adam Emery, Hazel Head and William Jordan are still FBI-sought.

I was thinking about how a previous poster was wondering how he got across the border when it was known right away that Bocklage was the killer.

Anyone know what kind of records were required to cross the Canadian border in 1980 and what kind of documentation they kept on those who crossed in their logs, if any?
spiraleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #38
soilentgreen
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 606
Default

https://www.csmonitor.com/1983/0523/052307.html

In the early eighties, it sounds like it wouldn't have been that hard for Bocklage to cross into Canada. There wasn't a national manhunt for him at the time. Communities with border crossings wouldn't have known anything about him or a murder in far off Missouri and having a passport for border crossings wasn't the big deal then that it is now. As someone already noted, why would he drive all the way to Manitoba in order to commit suicide?

David Fisher was able to walk out of a prison in 1974, go to Canada and live undetected for 15 years, so it wasn't that difficult to do.
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #39
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular
 
bell83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 05, 2006
Posts: 963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilentgreen
https://www.csmonitor.com/1983/0523/052307.html

In the early eighties, it sounds like it wouldn't have been that hard for Bocklage to cross into Canada. There wasn't a national manhunt for him at the time. Communities with border crossings wouldn't have known anything about him or a murder in far off Missouri and having a passport for border crossings wasn't the big deal then that it is now. As someone already noted, why would he drive all the way to Manitoba in order to commit suicide?

David Fisher was able to walk out of a prison in 1974, go to Canada and live undetected for 15 years, so it wasn't that difficult to do.
As someone who grew up and lived one mile from the border with Canada, I can vouch for that. Going through the border was literally nothing until 2004-ish. And it wasn't until I think 2008 you needed a passport or EDL. Before that, it was easy as hell. I remember crossing without even showing ID. Just a "where are you coming from?" "where are you going?" "have anything to claim?" and that was about it.
__________________
Acid is groovy...kill the pigs.
bell83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:43 PM   #40
soilentgreen
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell83
As someone who grew up and lived one mile from the border with Canada, I can vouch for that. Going through the border was literally nothing until 2004-ish. And it wasn't until I think 2008 you needed a passport or EDL. Before that, it was easy as hell. I remember crossing without even showing ID. Just a "where are you coming from?" "where are you going?" "have anything to claim?" and that was about it.
Thanks for confirming that. I've only traveled through the Canadian-U.S. border three times, once as a teenager with my parents in the early nineties, and I don't recall any strict protocols or requirements at the time. The last time I went through (2011) I didn't have issues crossing into Canada but on my return one particular U.S. border agent gave me the third degree (despite neither having a criminal record nor evidence of criminal activity). It sounds like that kind of treatment is becoming more common upon entry to the states, unfortunately.
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #41
dynoguy88
Member
Forum 3K Club Member
 
dynoguy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 01, 2000
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 3,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilentgreen
Thanks for confirming that. I've only traveled through the Canadian-U.S. border three times, once as a teenager with my parents in the early nineties, and I don't recall any strict protocols or requirements at the time. The last time I went through (2011) I didn't have issues crossing into Canada but on my return one particular U.S. border agent gave me the third degree (despite neither having a criminal record nor evidence of criminal activity). It sounds like that kind of treatment is becoming more common upon entry to the states, unfortunately.
Growing up outside of Detroit, the Ambassador Bridge to Ontario was always a 20 minute drive away. I remember going on field trips there, a trip to the Windsor Casino and drinking trips with friends because the legal drinking age was 19. It was NEVER an issue getting to Canada. They asked very few questions and checked our ID's about 5% of the time. So I'm sure it was probably the same or even easier to do this in 1980.

Bockledge would have had absolutely no problems getting in to the country.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #42
soilentgreen
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
Growing up outside of Detroit, the Ambassador Bridge to Ontario was always a 20 minute drive away. I remember going on field trips there, a trip to the Windsor Casino and drinking trips with friends because the legal drinking age was 19. It was NEVER an issue getting to Canada. They asked very few questions and checked our ID's about 5% of the time. So I'm sure it was probably the same or even easier to do this in 1980.

Bockledge would have had absolutely no problems getting in to the country.
That's what I thought. I've got friends from Texas who've mentioned easily going through U.S.-Mexico border crossings to shop or party until the nineties and and it sounds like the Canadian border was similar, possibly even less restrictive.

Bocklage premeditated killing Kopric so his hightailing it to the border might have been planned as well. He could have caught a Greyhound to anywhere after ditching his car in Thompson.
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:36 PM   #43
spiraleyes
Member
Occasional Poster
 
spiraleyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 19, 2016
Posts: 98
Default

Could it be that Bocklage just wanted to give the Dean something? The witnesses said they just felt like it was a weapon but they didn't see it. A gun would have just fit on his belt, under his shirt. The massive manilla envelope was not required to conceal a 45. Plus, he likely would have felt he'd be subdued before being across town to wait for and murder Tanya – the real object of his seething discontent.
spiraleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #44
schmave
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 23, 2013
Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Posts: 423
Default

That was me who raised the question of Bocklage getting across the border. I figure he could have made it up there before border authorities learned of his role in the killing.
As a student at the University of Toledo, I made several trips up to Windsor between 1997 and 2000. Getting into Canada always was a little tougher than coming back. They asked a few more questions and even searched the car on one occasion.
Coming back usually was: "Where are you going?" "Toledo." "See ya." I am sure the Ohio license plate had something to do with the ease of crossing back.
__________________
"hey when you're in the desert you don't complain that the champagne's not Korbel if you get my drift." - RightOnDude
schmave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #45
Mike82
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 19, 2017
Posts: 193
Default

It also goes without saying that the border between Canada and the USA is enourmous. If for some reason I needed to illegally enter the USA it would be quite easy to do and that's factoring in the US and Canadian borders are like night and day in my experience: the USA is both ridiculous and intimidating as they searched the car both times and grilled us about where we worked (albeit professionally) while Canada was an absolute breeze. Interesting to note how the US border stations I have visited are practically falling down with all the money they spend compared to Canada but I digress.

Of course this was over 30 years ago so he could have just walked up with ID and quickly be on his way.
Mike82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I contact Unsolved Mysteries with information on segments?

If you any information on cases, you can contact them via:

Website: www.unsolved.com

Contact form on official Unsolved Mysteries site

Please note that their old mailing address and 1-800 phone number no longer work.


2) Where can I watch Unsolved Mysteries?

Unsolved Mysteries is available for streaming on Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and Hulu.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.