Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube


Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Damon Wayans Jr. to Host Frogger; Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Getting All-Star Guests
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 26, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Manifest Cancellation Being Reconsidered; American Housewife Sold for Broadcast Syndication
Fri-Yay: 2021 Emmy Nominations Heavy on New Comedies, Light on Traditional Sitcoms; That Damn Michael Che Gets a Second Season
Lifetime Announces Justina Machado TV Movie; ABC News to Focus on Superstars
HBO Max's Love Life Season 2 Announces Cast; Kevin Hart and Jason Biggs Host Back-to-Back Shows on E!
Peacock's Superfan Episodes of The Office; The Other Two Season 2 Launch Date on New Network HBO Max


New on DVD/Blu-ray (March-July)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)

03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
08/03 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #256
kane7474
Member
Forum Regular
 
kane7474's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 10, 2006
Posts: 763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
Just saw this segment on the bad site for the first time in years. I had forgotten about it, but glad I found it.

I think we can all agree as to the possible scenarios:

1) Mike and Diana were both killed by the local serial killer who had the good conscious to drop off the child (a rare thing for such people). Mike's body for some reason was moved and never found.

2) Mike killed Diana, dropped his daughter off at the store, came back to the scene to dump the truck, and then fled and later committed suicide. Mike was the serial killer all along.

3) Mike killed Diana, drove his daughter to the store, and then came back and dumped his truck by the body to make it look as if he had been a victim as well. Mike then went on the run and has yet to be found. This also means he was the serial killer all along.

I think scenario #1 makes little sense. I am doubting a serial killer will kill the mother and father and then kindly drop off the kid. I think if such a killer didn't want to kill a kid, he would likely either leave the kid there or maybe drop her off somewhere less conspicuous and risky. But I think this killer knew there was a kid at the scene before he killed Mike and Diana. Therefore, it would make more sense for him to just find other victims and not go through the trouble of having to relocate the kid.

Scenario #2 is more likely. It's not unheard of for such killers to have wives and children (BTK for instance). We know that Diana had a restraining order against him and had "reunited" with him just a couple of days before she was found dead. It's possible he decided to make her his "final victim" and decided to kill himself instead of going to jail. The only problem with this theory is that there has been no body found. However, it is possible to kill oneself in a way to make the body difficult to discover.

Scenario #3 is about as likely as #2. However, it might be slightly less likely because A) Mike would have turned up alive somewhere -- possibly prison and B) he would have killed again. Have there been any other murders in that area with the stocking signature?

Either way, I think Mike was the killer. I do not put much stock into the fact his jacket was left behind. That's not a big deal and can be explained away in several ways. For one, perhaps he had a second vehicle at the scene that he had left there prior to bringing Diana there. I think it's possible he killed her, left his truck where it was, and then took off in another vehicle (perhaps an ATV?).

I think it's very convenient that Diana had just gotten back together with him before she was killed (remember, she had court order against him). I also think it's convenient the daughter was left alive.

Bottom line: I think this was a murder/suicide and Mike's body simply wasn't found.

Unresolved questions:

1) Has DNA analysis been done on the blood found in the truck?
2) Has the daughter come forward with any more information since she has grown up?
3) Have the stocking killings continued since this case?
I agree with you execpt when you say that "Mike would have turned up somewhere". I just cant grasp why people keep coming to that conclusion. Once again, Mike has no warrant for his arrest, Mike is not a wanted fugitive, There is no nationwide search for Mike, the FBI nor any LE agency outside of lewis/pierce county WA even has Mike on their radar. Mike is simply listed as "missing". It was three years before a nationwide audience was introduced to the case on UM. Giving Mike plenty of time to establish a new life.
All that being said I hope people will start to realize why he hasn't turned up and just how easy it has been for him to dissapear.
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #257
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
I agree with you execpt when you say that "Mike would have turned up somewhere". I just cant grasp why people keep coming to that conclusion. Once again, Mike has no warrant for his arrest, Mike is not a wanted fugitive, There is no nationwide search for Mike, the FBI nor any LE agency outside of lewis/pierce county WA even has Mike on their radar. Mike is simply listed as "missing". It was three years before a nationwide audience was introduced to the case on UM. Giving Mike plenty of time to establish a new life.
All that being said I hope people will start to realize why he hasn't turned up and just how easy it has been for him to dissapear.
Well the reason people believe he's dead is if Riemer is guilty he's a serial killer. While he may look completely different appearance wise, he would not be able to do a complete 180 and change his personality. He was an accomplished guitar player, roofer, trapper, physically abusive, and if guilty a serial killer. Serial killers stop killing because of two things: incarceration, or death. And for those that believe Riemer killed Diana, they must also accept that he killed Ruth Cooper and Stephen Harkins making him a serial killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
Scenario #2 is more likely. It's not unheard of for such killers to have wives and children (BTK for instance). We know that Diana had a restraining order against him and had "reunited" with him just a couple of days before she was found dead. It's possible he decided to make her his "final victim" and decided to kill himself instead of going to jail. The only problem with this theory is that there has been no body found. However, it is possible to kill oneself in a way to make the body difficult to discover.
The other problem I have with this theory is the fact that Crystal was brought along. Not to mention the fact that Diana took Riemer back, why would he plot her death after she took him back? He should have been grateful. Riemer could have had one of his or Diana's family members watch Crystal on the day he planned on killing Diana. Since Crystal was brought along, I don't see how (if Riemer is guilty) he planned on killing anyone that day. And why would Riemer have a fear of going to jail? He was not a suspect in the Harkins/Cooper homicide, and there was no law enforcement pressure being placed on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
Unresolved questions:

1) Has DNA analysis been done on the blood found in the truck?
2) Has the daughter come forward with any more information since she has grown up?
3) Have the stocking killings continued since this case?
1) Yes, but the results were inconclusive and couldn't reveal whose blood it was.
2) Not to anyone's knowledge.
3) Another aspect that could be attributed to other cases where a sock was used, but we would have no way of knowing or making a connection.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #258
Thiussat
Member
Forum Regular
 
Thiussat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 09, 2007
Posts: 587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The other problem I have with this theory is the fact that Crystal was brought along.
He might have brought Crystal along for precisely that very reason -- to lessen the suspicion of him as being the killer.

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that Diana took Riemer back, why would he plot her death after she took him back? He should have been grateful.
Just because she took him back doesn't mean he suddenly changed his violent ways and that he hadn't already planned on killing her. Abusive spouses rarely change their ways.

Quote:
And why would Riemer have a fear of going to jail? He was not a suspect in the Harkins/Cooper homicide, and there was no law enforcement pressure being placed on him.
What I meant was that he would have feared going to jail after Diana was found dead. He had to know that unless he himself was also killed that he would be suspect #1. So, he might have wondered off and killed himself to avoid being captured. Just because his body was not found doesn't mean he is alive. Remember, it took them several days (even with an air search) to find his abandoned truck and Diana's body. As a matter of fact, his truck was only discovered by accident by a man walking his dog! It appears that area has some vast wilderness with a lot of foliage for cover. It is not that unlikely that he could have killed himself out there somewhere and not have been discovered.

And technically, I don't think he matches the official description of a serial killer. It takes at least 3 random and unrelated killings to be considered a "serial killer." There may have actually been a motive unbeknowst to us for him killing that man and his wife. And he obviously had some sort of motive for killing Diana. A serial killer, by definition, kills people with no relation to themselves and with no motive other than their own satisfaction. Diana doesn't fit that. And that makes me wonder if the killing of that man and woman were even random at all.
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #259
kane7474
Member
Forum Regular
 
kane7474's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 10, 2006
Posts: 763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
He might have brought Crystal along for precisely that very reason -- to lessen the suspicion of him as being the killer.



Just because she took him back doesn't mean he suddenly changed his violent ways and that he hadn't already planned on killing her. Abusive spouses rarely change their ways.



What I meant was that he would have feared going to jail after Diana was found dead. He had to know that unless he himself was also killed that he would be suspect #1. So, he might have wondered off and killed himself to avoid being captured. Just because his body was not found doesn't mean he is alive. Remember, it took them several days (even with an air search) to find his abandoned truck and Diana's body. As a matter of fact, his truck was only discovered by accident by a man walking his dog! It appears that area has some vast wilderness with a lot of foliage for cover. It is not that unlikely that he could have killed himself out there somewhere and not have been discovered.

And technically, I don't think he matches the official description of a serial killer. It takes at least 3 random and unrelated killings to be considered a "serial killer." There may have actually been a motive unbeknowst to us for him killing that man and his wife. And he obviously had some sort of motive for killing Diana. A serial killer, by definition, kills people with no relation to themselves and with no motive other than their own satisfaction. Diana doesn't fit that. And that makes me wonder if the killing of that man and woman were even random at all.
The only thing that makes both killings look like the work of a serial killer is the matching tube socks tied around the two women's necks. If Mike killed Cooper and Hawkins for some specific reason and then killed Diana out of violent rage then how do we account for him leaving a calling card on both women?
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #260
kane7474
Member
Forum Regular
 
kane7474's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 10, 2006
Posts: 763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Well the reason people believe he's dead is if Riemer is guilty he's a serial killer. While he may look completely different appearance wise, he would not be able to do a complete 180 and change his personality. He was an accomplished guitar player, roofer, trapper, physically abusive, and if guilty a serial killer. Serial killers stop killing because of two things: incarceration, or death. And for those that believe Riemer killed Diana, they must also accept that he killed Ruth Cooper and Stephen Harkins making him a serial killer.



The other problem I have with this theory is the fact that Crystal was brought along. Not to mention the fact that Diana took Riemer back, why would he plot her death after she took him back? He should have been grateful. Riemer could have had one of his or Diana's family members watch Crystal on the day he planned on killing Diana. Since Crystal was brought along, I don't see how (if Riemer is guilty) he planned on killing anyone that day. And why would Riemer have a fear of going to jail? He was not a suspect in the Harkins/Cooper homicide, and there was no law enforcement pressure being placed on him.



1) Yes, but the results were inconclusive and couldn't reveal whose blood it was.
2) Not to anyone's knowledge.
3) Another aspect that could be attributed to other cases where a sock was used, but we would have no way of knowing or making a connection.
There is another option here on whether Mike is a serial killer or not. Mike may have known about the Cooper and Hawkins killing and simply staged Diana's death to look like the work of the same killer. Mike frequented the area that Cooper and Hawkins where found. Add in the fact that Mike's father was the former game warden and Im fairly sure Mike could know the details of what happened to those two even if the general public had not been informed.

Another question to add to the list here...
Is there a warrant for Mike Riemer??
Mike had a court date set for January when he went missing in December. If he didnt show then normally a warrant would be issued. Now I wonder if they issued the warrant or did not based on the fact that he was pressumed dead.
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #261
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
He might have brought Crystal along for precisely that very reason -- to lessen the suspicion of him as being the killer.
But by taking Crystal with him and sparing her, Riemer would implicate himself even more. He had no way of stopping Crystal from telling everything she saw, and even if she didn't witness the actual murder, she was still abandoned by Riemer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
Just because she took him back doesn't mean he suddenly changed his violent ways and that he hadn't already planned on killing her. Abusive spouses rarely change their ways.
And on the other side of the coin, just because Riemer was an abusive a-hole does not necessitate that he would be capable of murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
What I meant was that he would have feared going to jail after Diana was found dead. He had to know that unless he himself was also killed that he would be suspect #1. So, he might have wondered off and killed himself to avoid being captured. Just because his body was not found doesn't mean he is alive. Remember, it took them several days (even with an air search) to find his abandoned truck and Diana's body. As a matter of fact, his truck was only discovered by accident by a man walking his dog! It appears that area has some vast wilderness with a lot of foliage for cover. It is not that unlikely that he could have killed himself out there somewhere and not have been discovered.

And technically, I don't think he matches the official description of a serial killer. It takes at least 3 random and unrelated killings to be considered a "serial killer." There may have actually been a motive unbeknowst to us for him killing that man and his wife. And he obviously had some sort of motive for killing Diana. A serial killer, by definition, kills people with no relation to themselves and with no motive other than their own satisfaction. Diana doesn't fit that. And that makes me wonder if the killing of that man and woman were even random at all.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not 100% convinced of Riemer's innocence. And I do think that if he did kill Diana, he then in turn killed himself. But he's still listed as "Missing", and he isn't wanted by any law enforcement agency. What does that tell you? LE could not tie Riemer to the Harkins/Cooper homicides (which would have been fairly easy to do if Riemer owned weapons, or similar socks used in both crimes, or even if the knot tie was a style that trappers often used) and I think the sole reason Riemer is hinted at as a suspect is because he has never been found.

It's been speculated that Riemer and Diana were killed by someone who knew them. This person could have had a thing for Diana, who was upset that she took Riemer back, and then decided to kill them both. If the murderer was someone that knew them both, it would account for the note found on the dash, as well as Crystal being spared. Riemer could just as easily been killed somewhere else and his body was just never found, or his body was moved/hidden in an attempt to "frame" him. While that seems unlikely, if Riemer was a victim, the killer had up to two months (before Diana was found) to come up wih a scenario to set him up and possibly move his body.

Riemer's abandoned vehicle IMHO helps the case for his innocence. How exactly did he make it out of the woods? I'm sure LE investigated his home to see if anything was missing (clothes, possibly another vehicle) and if that was uncovered don't you think he'd be wanted instead of missing? The abscence of any evidence of Riemer's flight makes me certain he's dead. When Diana and the truck were found there were EXTENSIVE searches done all around the general area which yielded nothing. So if Riemer did in fact kill Diana and wanted to kill himself, he had to have walked MILES to do so. And that doesn't make sense, nor would there be any reason in doing so. That makes me think he was killed somewhere else, and has just yet to be found.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #262
cocytus
Member
Forum Regular
 
cocytus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 15, 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
There is another option here on whether Mike is a serial killer or not. Mike may have known about the Cooper and Hawkins killing and simply staged Diana's death to look like the work of the same killer. Mike frequented the area that Cooper and Hawkins where found. Add in the fact that Mike's father was the former game warden and Im fairly sure Mike could know the details of what happened to those two even if the general public had not been informed.

Another question to add to the list here...
Is there a warrant for Mike Riemer??
Mike had a court date set for January when he went missing in December. If he didnt show then normally a warrant would be issued. Now I wonder if they issued the warrant or did not based on the fact that he was pressumed dead.
If there was a warrant, it may have been canceled. The city I live near has about 6.000 unserved warrants and actually had MORE but they went through them and canceled many of them. Since Riemer has been missing for almost 30 years, it's likely that anything other than a felony warrant would have been canceled or dismissed many years ago.

Last edited by cocytus; 02-03-2011 at 01:46 PM.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #263
kane7474
Member
Forum Regular
 
kane7474's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 10, 2006
Posts: 763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
If there was a warrant, it may have been canceled. The city I live near has about 6.000 unserved warrants and actually had MORE but they went through them and canceled many of them. Since Riemer has been missing for almost 30 years, it's likely that anything other than a felony warrant would have be canceled or dismissed many years ago.
True so if the warrant was canceled and lets say Mike is picked up for speeding in Arkansas and his name is ran it wouldnt even through up a red flag.
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #264
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
True so if the warrant was canceled and lets say Mike is picked up for speeding in Arkansas and his name is ran it wouldnt even through up a red flag.
But if Riemer was found, warrant or not, wouldn't his name be in a database somewhere listed as an "endangered missing" person?
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #265
cocytus
Member
Forum Regular
 
cocytus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 15, 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
But if Riemer was found, warrant or not, wouldn't his name be in a database somewhere listed as an "endangered missing" person?
Possibly...presuming that it was entered in there initially and then maintained by the searching department. That would all depend on the efficiency and the competency of the whatever agency that entered his name.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #266
kane7474
Member
Forum Regular
 
kane7474's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 10, 2006
Posts: 763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
Possibly...presuming that it was entered in there initially and then maintained by the searching department. That would all depend on the efficiency and the competency of the whatever agency that entered his name.
True and remember we are talking 1980s here
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #267
kane7474
Member
Forum Regular
 
kane7474's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 10, 2006
Posts: 763
Default

[QUOTE=TheCars1986]
Quote:
But by taking Crystal with him and sparing her, Riemer would implicate himself even more. He had no way of stopping Crystal from telling everything she saw, and even if she didn't witness the actual murder, she was still abandoned by Riemer.
But Riemer knew his own daughter much better then any stranger would have. He could have been confident that with her limited speech she would not be able to relay what had happened.

And on the other side of the coin, just because Riemer was an abusive a-hole does not necessitate that he would be capable of murder.



Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not 100% convinced of Riemer's innocence. And I do think that if he did kill Diana, he then in turn killed himself. But he's still listed as "Missing", and he isn't wanted by any law enforcement agency. What does that tell you? LE could not tie Riemer to the Harkins/Cooper homicides (which would have been fairly easy to do if Riemer owned weapons, or similar socks used in both crimes, or even if the knot tie was a style that trappers often used) and I think the sole reason Riemer is hinted at as a suspect is because he has never been found.
I can't imagine how he could kill himself and his body have never been found. There is no way to conceal your body after killing yourself. With the search effort around where Diane was found and with all the other bodies in the following years that have turned up I would think he would have surfaced. Riemer also owned several guns but with the Cooper/Hawkins murder happening months before how could LE tie him to it? He may have had similar caliber weapons to those used in the murder but that really proves nothing. There are millions of guns out there and there is no way for LE to test a weapon to see if it was fired three months prior. As far as the socks go, Im sure they are all too common to be linked.
Quote:
It's been speculated that Riemer and Diana were killed by someone who knew them. This person could have had a thing for Diana, who was upset that she took Riemer back, and then decided to kill them both. If the murderer was someone that knew them both, it would account for the note found on the dash, as well as Crystal being spared. Riemer could just as easily been killed somewhere else and his body was just never found, or his body was moved/hidden in an attempt to "frame" him. While that seems unlikely, if Riemer was a victim, the killer had up to two months (before Diana was found) to come up wih a scenario to set him up and possibly move his body
.
This I have a hard time grasping. Did this other person follow them out to the middle of nowhere?? There is no way another adult could have rode in that truck with them. If there was another person involved with them then it seems that both Mike and Diane's families are clueless about it. If you subscribe to this theory then how do we explain the blatant link between Diane and Ruth Cooper??
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Riemer's abandoned vehicle IMHO helps the case for his innocence. How exactly did he make it out of the woods? I'm sure LE investigated his home to see if anything was missing (clothes, possibly another vehicle) and if that was uncovered don't you think he'd be wanted instead of missing? The abscence of any evidence of Riemer's flight makes me certain he's dead. When Diana and the truck were found there were EXTENSIVE searches done all around the general area which yielded nothing. So if Riemer did in fact kill Diana and wanted to kill himself, he had to have walked MILES to do so. And that doesn't make sense, nor would there be any reason in doing so. That makes me think he was killed somewhere else, and has just yet to be found
Even if he walked miles from the crime scene to kill himself his body would have still turned up at some point. I mean you can't kill yourself and then conceal your body. There where alot of bodies being found in those wooded areas and several known serial killers where at work in that time. Mike seems to be one of the very few people that went missing in that area and was never found.

Consider this, Obviously we know that Diane's killer was armed with a knife. Are we not fairly certain that Reimer was more well armed then the killer?? Mike's father stated that Mike carried a pistol when checking traps and he had to have an ax or saw in order to get a tree so we know Mike could have easily defended himself. Also consider that blood was found inside the truck. To me this says that the struggle started there. We know Mike was in that truck with Diane
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #268
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
But Riemer knew his own daughter much better then any stranger would have. He could have been confident that with her limited speech she would not be able to relay what had happened.
But at the age of two, Crystal still exhibited more than limited speech by saying her mother was "in the trees". Obviously she's not going to say when, where, and how at the age of two, but she still was sharp enough to know the location of her mother. And even if she did have limited speech, how hard would it be for a two year old to say her father left her there at the store? Not to mention the child would be crying and carrying on almost immediately after being abandoned by one parent and knowing the other was nowhere around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
I can't imagine how he could kill himself and his body have never been found. There is no way to conceal your body after killing yourself. With the search effort around where Diane was found and with all the other bodies in the following years that have turned up I would think he would have surfaced. Riemer also owned several guns but with the Cooper/Hawkins murder happening months before how could LE tie him to it? He may have had similar caliber weapons to those used in the murder but that really proves nothing. There are millions of guns out there and there is no way for LE to test a weapon to see if it was fired three months prior. As far as the socks go, Im sure they are all too common to be linked.
Ballistics test could have been ran if shell casings were retrieved in the Harkins/Cooper homicide, and there were also rifle casings found near Diana's body. All of which could have shown that either Riemer owned similar guns to the type of casings found, or more precisely if they were actually fired from a gun Riemer owned. And if Riemer was armed the day he was checking his traps, why stab Diana when he could have simply shot her? There are ways to kill oneself and conceal their body. Robert Fisher (guy who killed his family, then staged an explosion to destroy evidence in the house) is believed to have traveled to a remote cave and killed himself. Michael Rosenblum is believed by some on this board to have killed himself, and his remains were found eight years later. The area they were found was thoroughly searched shortly after he disappeared. So it's not all that unlikely that Riemer's remains have yet to be found due to the remoteness of the area, and remember it took over two months to find Diana...and that was just by happenstance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
This I have a hard time grasping. Did this other person follow them out to the middle of nowhere?? There is no way another adult could have rode in that truck with them. If there was another person involved with them then it seems that both Mike and Diane's families are clueless about it. If you subscribe to this theory then how do we explain the blatant link between Diane and Ruth Cooper??
It's possible that someone who knew them, also knew where they were going to be that day or possibly even followed them. As to the link between Ruth and Diana, what is the link between Riemer and Ruth Cooper/Stephen Harkins? For those that think Riemer is guilty of killing Diana, they must also establish some sort of link between Riemer and Cooper & Harkins. It appears to me, IMHO, that Ruth Cooper was the target in the assault. Harkins was found in his sleeping bag, which tells me he was shot while he was sleeping. Then Ruth was lead away from the area (most likely at gunpoint) for whatever reason (again speculating here, but a possible sexual assault) and was killed a mile away. This could have been the same case with Diana and Riemer. If this was the work of a 3rd party, perhaps Ruth Cooper was targeted by someone around the area who knew both Riemer and Diana. Is it that unlikely that if this were a 3rd party psychopath, he was someone from the area who may have knew at least one of his victims? The UM broadcast simply stated Ruth Cooper was "shot to death". She could have been shot excessively, just like Diana was stabbed 17 times. The killer obviously changed weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
Even if he walked miles from the crime scene to kill himself his body would have still turned up at some point. I mean you can't kill yourself and then conceal your body. There where alot of bodies being found in those wooded areas and several known serial killers where at work in that time. Mike seems to be one of the very few people that went missing in that area and was never found.
I agree, and that's why I find it unlikely that Riemer would have killed himself. That was my whole point...if Riemer was feeling guilty about just murdering Diana, why not just off himself right next to her or close by? He would have had to have walked MILES away just to kill himself, which doesn't seem like the action of a desperate man who suddenly realized the horror of his actions. And on the other hand, if Riemer planned on fleeing where was the evidence of this? A note on a dashboard that said, "I LOVE YOU DIANA"? Where was the evidence that he had other clothing, luggage, camping gear, ANYTHING missing from his residence/truck? His coat was found in the truck and while he could have had another coat, there was no evidence presented that showed Riemer's intent to flee. So if he left the truck and wrote the note as a half-assed apology and then wandered off to start a new life, how exactly would he have gotten out of the area undetected? He would have had some sort of gear on his person, not to mention caked in Diana's blood, and if he hitchiked he would have stuck out like a sore thumb. I don't see how you're so certain Riemer would have turned up by now. I can name at least ten people (Charlotte Pollis, Pam Page, Curtis Pishon, Dale Williams, John Cheek, Angela Hammond, Dale Kerstetter, Wendy Camp, Lisa Kregear, and Wendy's daughter Cynthia) that are almost certainly dead yet their bodies have never been found.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
Consider this, Obviously we know that Diane's killer was armed with a knife. Are we not fairly certain that Reimer was more well armed then the killer?? Mike's father stated that Mike carried a pistol when checking traps and he had to have an ax or saw in order to get a tree so we know Mike could have easily defended himself. Also consider that blood was found inside the truck. To me this says that the struggle started there. We know Mike was in that truck with Diane
Yes Riemer could have defended himself. But if someone approached him from behind and shot him in the head, he could have been armed with a bazooka and it wouldn't have mattered. Stephen Harkins appears to have been shot while he was sleeping, if this were the work of the same person it would seem very likely that Riemer would have been murdered in a similar, suprised fashion. Blood found in the truck does not necessitate there was a struggle. If a 3rd party were responsible, he could have retrieved the truck and moved Diana's body and had it in the front seat, or possibly even Riemer's body. Or the blood could have simply came from the killer since they almost certainly would have had Diana's blood all over them.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #269
kane7474
Member
Forum Regular
 
kane7474's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 10, 2006
Posts: 763
Default

[QUOTE=TheCars1986]
Quote:
But at the age of two, Crystal still exhibited more than limited speech by saying her mother was "in the trees". Obviously she's not going to say when, where, and how at the age of two, but she still was sharp enough to know the location of her mother. And even if she did have limited speech, how hard would it be for a two year old to say her father left her there at the store? Not to mention the child would be crying and carrying on almost immediately after being abandoned by one parent and knowing the other was nowhere around.
How hard would it be for her to say her dad dropped her off? Well its obvious how hard as she didnt say her dad, or anyone else dropped her off. Obviously she took a 30 mile car ride with someone but didnt have the abiltiy to relay who. Again she had limited vocabulary and Mike would have known this. You think she would have been crying and carrying on if dropped off by a parent? So she wouldnt be making a fuss if dropped off by a serial killer?? I dont understand that. Bottom line is she was dropped off without her parents and she wasn't crying or carrying on in any way.

Quote:
Ballistics test could have been ran if shell casings were retrieved in the Harkins/Cooper homicide, and there were also rifle casings found near Diana's body. All of which could have shown that either Riemer owned similar guns to the type of casings found, or more precisely if they were actually fired from a gun Riemer owned. And if Riemer was armed the day he was checking his traps, why stab Diana when he could have simply shot her? There are ways to kill oneself and conceal their body. Robert Fisher (guy who killed his family, then staged an explosion to destroy evidence in the house) is believed to have traveled to a remote cave and killed himself. Michael Rosenblum is believed by some on this board to have killed himself, and his remains were found eight years later. The area they were found was thoroughly searched shortly after he disappeared. So it's not all that unlikely that Riemer's remains have yet to be found due to the remoteness of the area, and remember it took over two months to find Diana...and that was just by happenstance.
If Riemer owned a 22 pistol and a 22 pistol was used to kill Cooper and Hawkins three months before Reimer was being looked at as a possible suspect there is no way for ballistics to tell if his weapon or one of the millions of other 22 pistols fired the shot.
Why would he stab instead of shoot Diane? There is no way to know that. It does appear to be more of a crime of passion and personal hatred with her being stabbed 17 times. I think it is odd that his remains have not been found for two reasons. A- If it was a 3rd party then this person made no effort to hide his other victims. They where all left out in the open and found within months. Diane probably would have been found sooner if it hadnt happened in the dead of winter. B. How many campers, hunters, hikers have been through this area in the last 20 plus years and no remains found? Not to mention all the LE searches that turned up several other bodies in the area. But still no remains of Riemer.

Quote:
It's possible that someone who knew them, also knew where they were going to be that day or possibly even followed them. As to the link between Ruth and Diana, what is the link between Riemer and Ruth Cooper/Stephen Harkins? For those that think Riemer is guilty of killing Diana, they must also establish some sort of link between Riemer and Cooper & Harkins. It appears to me, IMHO, that Ruth Cooper was the target in the assault. Harkins was found in his sleeping bag, which tells me he was shot while he was sleeping. Then Ruth was lead away from the area (most likely at gunpoint) for whatever reason (again speculating here, but a possible sexual assault) and was killed a mile away. This could have been the same case with Diana and Riemer. If this was the work of a 3rd party, perhaps Ruth Cooper was targeted by someone around the area who knew both Riemer and Diana. Is it that unlikely that if this were a 3rd party psychopath, he was someone from the area who may have knew at least one of his victims? The UM broadcast simply stated Ruth Cooper was "shot to death". She could have been shot excessively, just like Diana was stabbed 17 times. The killer obviously changed weapons.
Im not saying that a third party could have killed all four. Just saying I dont think with the obvious link with Ruth and Diane that there is any chance that Diane and Mike's killer was someone that knew them well and had a beef against one or both.

Quote:
I agree, and that's why I find it unlikely that Riemer would have killed himself. That was my whole point...if Riemer was feeling guilty about just murdering Diana, why not just off himself right next to her or close by? He would have had to have walked MILES away just to kill himself, which doesn't seem like the action of a desperate man who suddenly realized the horror of his actions. And on the other hand, if Riemer planned on fleeing where was the evidence of this? A note on a dashboard that said, "I LOVE YOU DIANA"? Where was the evidence that he had other clothing, luggage, camping gear, ANYTHING missing from his residence/truck? His coat was found in the truck and while he could have had another coat, there was no evidence presented that showed Riemer's intent to flee. So if he left the truck and wrote the note as a half-assed apology and then wandered off to start a new life, how exactly would he have gotten out of the area undetected? He would have had some sort of gear on his person, not to mention caked in Diana's blood, and if he hitchiked he would have stuck out like a sore thumb. I don't see how you're so certain Riemer would have turned up by now. I can name at least ten people (Charlotte Pollis, Pam Page, Curtis Pishon, Dale Williams, John Cheek, Angela Hammond, Dale Kerstetter, Wendy Camp, Lisa Kregear, and Wendy's daughter Cynthia) that are almost certainly dead yet their bodies have never been foun
d.
If Riemer wanted to vanish then obviously he would take steps to cover his tracks. There are many ways he could have gotten out of the area and Im sure you can imagine some.
Lets look at the people you mentioned here. First off with some of them we have no clue who is dead and who is missing but anyhow I dont think any of them share the circumstanes with Reimer. For instance, the other people who where last know to be with Reimer are accounted for. His girlfriend is found dead, his child is found alive. We also have a murder scene with Reimer. If he was killed then we know about where it happened. Do we know that with Angela Hammond or Wendy Camp? No we dont. We know that if he was killed by a serial killer then it was a killer who made no effort to hide his other victims. Do we know that with any of the others?? No. Also aside from Wendy Camp, of the people you mentioned, we dont know who they where last with. With Reimer we do.



Quote:
]Yes Riemer could have defended himself. But if someone approached him from behind and shot him in the head, he could have been armed with a bazooka and it wouldn't have mattered. Stephen Harkins appears to have been shot while he was sleeping, if this were the work of the same person it would seem very likely that Riemer would have been murdered in a similar, suprised fashion. Blood found in the truck does not necessitate there was a struggle. If a 3rd party were responsible, he could have retrieved the truck and moved Diana's body and had it in the front seat, or possibly even Riemer's body. Or the blood could have simply came from the
I have said this before that if he was killed by third party then maybe he was shot in the back sniper style. But that would mean Mike was outside of the truck without his coat on when he was shot. What your saying about the blood in the seat is also possible.
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #270
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
How hard would it be for her to say her dad dropped her off? Well its obvious how hard as she didnt say her dad, or anyone else dropped her off. Obviously she took a 30 mile car ride with someone but didnt have the abiltiy to relay who. Again she had limited vocabulary and Mike would have known this. You think she would have been crying and carrying on if dropped off by a parent? So she wouldnt be making a fuss if dropped off by a serial killer?? I dont understand that. Bottom line is she was dropped off without her parents and she wasn't crying or carrying on in any way.
It would be easier for Crystal to say "Daddy left me" as opposed to someone she did not know at all. And if she did in fact witness an unknown person murder her mother this could account for her "stunned" state. The fact that she wasn't crying and carrying on at the store seems to indicate she was dropped off by someone other than her parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
If Riemer owned a 22 pistol and a 22 pistol was used to kill Cooper and Hawkins three months before Reimer was being looked at as a possible suspect there is no way for ballistics to tell if his weapon or one of the millions of other 22 pistols fired the shot.
They would have matched striations on the bullets to the gun regardless of how long the time elapsed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
Why would he stab instead of shoot Diane? There is no way to know that. It does appear to be more of a crime of passion and personal hatred with her being stabbed 17 times. I think it is odd that his remains have not been found for two reasons. A- If it was a 3rd party then this person made no effort to hide his other victims. They where all left out in the open and found within months. Diane probably would have been found sooner if it hadnt happened in the dead of winter. B. How many campers, hunters, hikers have been through this area in the last 20 plus years and no remains found? Not to mention all the LE searches that turned up several other bodies in the area. But still no remains of Riemer.
I'm just saying that if Riemer is innocent or guilty, whomever killed Stephen, Ruth, and Diana changed his method from shooting to stabbing. And we don't know how many times Ruth Cooper was shot, so that could have appeared to be a crime of passion as well. Like I've said before, if a third party killed both couples, he had ample time to concoct a plan to go back and hide Riemer's body. Imagine if he was a local, and he heard murmurs from the townspeople that Riemer probably got in a jealous fit of rage and killed Diana...it would provide the perfect time to, in essence, frame Riemer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
Im not saying that a third party could have killed all four. Just saying I dont think with the obvious link with Ruth and Diane that there is any chance that Diane and Mike's killer was someone that knew them well and had a beef against one or both.

If Riemer wanted to vanish then obviously he would take steps to cover his tracks. There are many ways he could have gotten out of the area and Im sure you can imagine some.
It very well could be some psycho who was unknown to both couples, who just so happens to target couples as his victims. Riemer wouldn't have been able to cover up the fact that he took supplies, clothing, gear, etc. with him for it would have been missing from his residence. There seems to be no indication that Riemer took anything other than what was taken on the day of their fateful trip. So what does that tell you? He's most likely dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
Lets look at the people you mentioned here. First off with some of them we have no clue who is dead and who is missing but anyhow I dont think any of them share the circumstanes with Reimer. For instance, the other people who where last know to be with Reimer are accounted for. His girlfriend is found dead, his child is found alive. We also have a murder scene with Reimer. If he was killed then we know about where it happened. Do we know that with Angela Hammond or Wendy Camp? No we dont. We know that if he was killed by a serial killer then it was a killer who made no effort to hide his other victims. Do we know that with any of the others?? No. Also aside from Wendy Camp, of the people you mentioned, we dont know who they where last with. With Reimer we do.

I have said this before that if he was killed by third party then maybe he was shot in the back sniper style. But that would mean Mike was outside of the truck without his coat on when he was shot. What your saying about the blood in the seat is also possible.
We really don't know what other victims could be attributed to a serial killer, if a third party was responsible. It's not that unlikely that Riemer removed his coat while checking his traps, there really would be no other reason for him to leave the coat behind if he did indeed kill Diana. As a way to throw off authorities? No way. The note, "I LOVE YOU DIANA" would implicate him more than a coat missing would cast suspicioun away IMHO.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I contact Unsolved Mysteries with information on segments?

If you any information on cases, you can contact them via:

Website: www.unsolved.com

Contact form on official Unsolved Mysteries site

Please note that their old mailing address and 1-800 phone number no longer work.


2) Where can I watch Unsolved Mysteries?

Unsolved Mysteries is available for streaming on Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and Hulu.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.