Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...
Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show
Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu
Damon Wayans Jr. to Host Frogger; Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Getting All-Star Guests
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 26, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Manifest Cancellation Being Reconsidered; American Housewife Sold for Broadcast Syndication
Fri-Yay: 2021 Emmy Nominations Heavy on New Comedies, Light on Traditional Sitcoms; That Damn Michael Che Gets a Second Season

New on DVD/Blu-ray (March-July)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)

03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
08/03 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #181
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
I will have to watch again but I never remember them saying the knots where tied the same. Like I said it could be, but really how many differnet knots could you tie a tube sock in around someones neck?
The epsiode does clearly state though that Crystal was found the same day that she and her parents had went into the woods to get a tree and check trap lines. It is at the very beginning.
I did say that UM stated it was the same day as their trip. But that seems to be the only source that says it was the same day, all others say later that night or the day after and there is one that says a couple of days later. And those quotes about the knot from UM were exact. There are certain distinct ways someone would tie a rope, and I'm assuming that the authorities never saw that type of knot used on a sock.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #182
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
I will have to watch again but I never remember them saying the knots where tied the same. Like I said it could be, but really how many differnet knots could you tie a tube sock in around someones neck?
The epsiode does clearly state though that Crystal was found the same day that she and her parents had went into the woods to get a tree and check trap lines. It is at the very beginning.
There are myriad ways to tie knots. Here are a few examples:
http://www.martingautron.com/blog/tag/knots/
The knot's style seems to be part of the LE "holdback" as it isn't mentioned on the segment nor anywhere I can find.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #183
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
The knot's style seems to be part of the LE "holdback" as it isn't mentioned on the segment nor anywhere I can find.
I totally understand there are tons of different knots but what Im saying is how many different ones could you use to tie something as thick as a tube sock around a neck?
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #184
kane7474
Forum Regular

There is ofcourse a chance that a serial killer (that was not Mike) killed all of these people. There where several at work in this general area around the same time frame. I wonder what anyone thinks about Yates? I read where his first killing was a young couple he came upon while target practicing in a wooded area. He shot both of them in much the same style that Ruth Cooper and Steve Hawkins where shot. Yates started killing in 1978 and I dont think he was picked up till late 90s.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #185
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
This case is kind of similiar to Robert Fisher (the guy who in all probability murdered his wife and two kids and then set off an explosion in his house to cover up the crime), yet Fisher was at one point on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List and he was indicted for this crime. He still has never been found, the family truck was found abandoned, and there is no evidence indicating if he is still alive on the run or took his own life (and I don't think the UM segment ever even mentioned the possibility of his innocence). But he's wanted for the murders, whereas Riemer is still classified as missing. That's why I tend to believe the authorities have more evidence suggesting a third party being responsible.

I'm started to lean more and more to the fact that someone who knew Diana and/or Riemer was responsible for their murders. If it was a friend or acquaintance it could also account for the reason why Crystal was spared. And if this was some guy who had a crush on Diana it could also explain the love note left on the dash. Perhaps this person also knew Harkins and Cooper. Possible motives could be Riemer (who by all accounts had a hot temper) may have had an altercation with the killer. Or if this killer had a crush on Diana, maybe the fact that she took Riemer back set him off.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #186
Hambone2421

Quote:
There is of course a chance that a serial killer (that was not Mike) killed all of these people.
This could have happened. Maybe Mike and Diane were Christmas tree hunting around the same area that a killer was lurking and were murdered by him. Everything else in their relationship (spousal abuse, restraining order, separation, etc..) is just a coincidence if it did happen this way.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #187
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
This case is kind of similiar to Robert Fisher (the guy who in all probability murdered his wife and two kids and then set off an explosion in his house to cover up the crime), yet Fisher was at one point on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List and he was indicted for this crime. He still has never been found, the family truck was found abandoned, and there is no evidence indicating if he is still alive on the run or took his own life (and I don't think the UM segment ever even mentioned the possibility of his innocence). But he's wanted for the murders, whereas Riemer is still classified as missing. That's why I tend to believe the authorities have more evidence suggesting a third party being responsible.

I'm started to lean more and more to the fact that someone who knew Diana and/or Riemer was responsible for their murders. If it was a friend or acquaintance it could also account for the reason why Crystal was spared. And if this was some guy who had a crush on Diana it could also explain the love note left on the dash. Perhaps this person also knew Harkins and Cooper. Possible motives could be Riemer (who by all accounts had a hot temper) may have had an altercation with the killer. Or if this killer had a crush on Diana, maybe the fact that she took Riemer back set him off.
Im not sure on the fisher case but sounds alot like William Bradford Bishop. He is a suspect because the killiings obviously took place in his home. Then his car was found abandoned quite a distance from the bodies. The reason he is a suspect is because of the blood evidence at his house. He too is sought by FBI and has never turned up. The police in this segment state that Bishop got away because it was several days before anyone knew there had been a murder. In the Riemer case it was several months before anyone knew. Giving Mike much more time to get away. Also take into account Mike is not wanted by FBI.
I think it would be a wild stretch to say the killer knew both couples and for whatever reason decided to murder both and hide Mike's body while leaving the others out in the open
Old 01-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #188
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
This could have happened. Maybe Mike and Diane were Christmas tree hunting around the same area that a killer was lurking and were murdered by him. Everything else in their relationship (spousal abuse, restraining order, separation, etc..) is just a coincidence if it did happen this way.
As with everything in this case one answer leads to another question. If indeed it was the work of a serial killer then why conceal Mike's body when he concealed no one else's?? Why drive Crystal 30 miles away? Also consider Mike had guns and other weapons, the killer stabbed Diana so what would keep Mike from shooting him or putting up a fight??
Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #189
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
As with everything in this case one answer leads to another question. If indeed it was the work of a serial killer then why conceal Mike's body when he concealed no one else's?? Why drive Crystal 30 miles away? Also consider Mike had guns and other weapons, the killer stabbed Diana so what would keep Mike from shooting him or putting up a fight??
Here's another question: Assuming that this was the work of a third party serial killer, then you also have to wonder: Why would a killer attack a man that was clearly armed like Mike Riemer? The killer would have had to have watched them for at least few minutes and noticed that Riemer was checking traps. That means he would have had a weapon or weapons on him.

Wouldn't there have been easier targets than Riemer and Diana? I've never heard of too many serial killers (outside of television, that is) that would attack an armed opponent. Almost all serial killers are either cowardly (or practical) and attacking an armed opponent would entail too much risk.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #190
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Here's another question: Assuming that this was the work of a third party serial killer, then you also have to wonder: Why would a killer attack a man that was clearly armed like Mike Riemer? The killer would have had to have watched them for at least few minutes and noticed that Riemer was checking traps. That means he would have had a weapon or weapons on him.

Wouldn't there have been easier targets than Riemer and Diana? I've never heard of too many serial killers (outside of television, that is) that would attack an armed opponent. Almost all serial killers are either cowardly (or practical) and attacking an armed opponent would entail too much risk.
This is true. The only way I can see this happening is if the killer shot him at a distance, sniper style. Then maybe he pursued and stabbed Diana. But you still have the fact that he would have had to go to alot of effort to conceal Mike's body.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #191
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
This is true. The only way I can see this happening is if the killer shot him at a distance, sniper style. Then maybe he pursued and stabbed Diana. But you still have the fact that he would have had to go to alot of effort to conceal Mike's body.
There's another police "holdback": At what distance were the other two victims shot at? If they were shot up close, then Riemer likely would have been also. If that was the case, where's the crime scene? Or evidence of a shooting (other than the casings) around where the truck was found?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #192
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
There's another police "holdback": At what distance were the other two victims shot at? If they were shot up close, then Riemer likely would have been also. If that was the case, where's the crime scene? Or evidence of a shooting (other than the casings) around where the truck was found?
I know I'm stretching it a bit here, but what if Riemer and Diana were killed elsewhere and their bodies were brought back to the site where Diana was found (this would be after Crystal was dropped off), but Riemer was somehow still alive and attempted to flee and was either shot again or ultimately succumbed to his initial wounds? It could explain blood in the truck and the fact that Riemer's coat was left behind. If this person knew Riemer or Diana it really wouldn't be that hard to approach him and shoot him. There would be no surprise needed really. And as for concealing Riemer's body, look how long it took someone to find Diana's body. Even an aerial view didn't reveal the truck, so how unlikely is it that Riemer's body was left out in the open and just never found?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #193
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I know I'm stretching it a bit here, but what if Riemer and Diana were killed elsewhere and their bodies were brought back to the site where Diana was found (this would be after Crystal was dropped off), but Riemer was somehow still alive and attempted to flee and was either shot again or ultimately succumbed to his initial wounds? It could explain blood in the truck and the fact that Riemer's coat was left behind. If this person knew Riemer or Diana it really wouldn't be that hard to approach him and shoot him. There would be no surprise needed really. And as for concealing Riemer's body, look how long it took someone to find Diana's body. Even an aerial view didn't reveal the truck, so how unlikely is it that Riemer's body was left out in the open and just never found?
I don't think that's a stretch at all. Alot of cases feature a crime scene in one location and the bodies are located in another location. Its not uncommon.

Also, has anyone given thought to the idea that maybe Mike's body was eaten by animals? Given the fact that it took a while to locate Diana's body, its possible that Mike's was right there with her but animals ate him before his body was located. Just a thought.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #194
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
I don't think that's a stretch at all. Alot of cases feature a crime scene in one location and the bodies are located in another location. Its not uncommon.

Also, has anyone given thought to the idea that maybe Mike's body was eaten by animals? Given the fact that it took a while to locate Diana's body, its possible that Mike's was right there with her but animals ate him before his body was located. Just a thought.
The only problem that I have w/ animals consuming his body is that animals usually avoid predating upon clothed bodies. They'll consume exposed "fleshy" areas but one of the primary reasons that bodies are found in rural/wooded areas at all is that they are dumped fully clothed.

Riemer would still be there...somewhere close, if he was killed. While the first search (the one that discovered the first victim) before Riemer's disappearance obviously wasn't thorough, I believe that the search for Riemer after they found Diana likely was.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #195
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:

I've always thought the amount of time it took to find Diana gave Riemer's body (if he was a victim) plenty of time to decompose and be eaten/moved by animals.