Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show
Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu
Damon Wayans Jr. to Host Frogger; Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Getting All-Star Guests
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 26, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Manifest Cancellation Being Reconsidered; American Housewife Sold for Broadcast Syndication
Fri-Yay: 2021 Emmy Nominations Heavy on New Comedies, Light on Traditional Sitcoms; That Damn Michael Che Gets a Second Season
Lifetime Announces Justina Machado TV Movie; ABC News to Focus on Superstars

New on DVD/Blu-ray (March-July)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)

03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
08/03 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-11-2021, 01:08 AM   #571
BlueGalexy
Frequent Poster

I know I've said this before but I came up during the golden era of Robert Stack and that man was supremely talented at making nearly every UM segment seem scary. I have to say that the Dave Bocks case scared the hell out of me, lol. And just in case the idea of Bocks dying in that industrial furnace isn't creepy enough, UM made sure to mention the fact that Bocks' remains are too toxic to be laid to rest almost as a haunting afterthought. The Bocks segment made me lose a little sleep at night, lol.

For some reason I can't explain, the Michaela Garecht case creeped me out. I think it's probably because I was the same age as Garecht when she was abducted and frequently did things like ride my bike to the 7-Eleven up the street with my best friend. I was really a nervous thing when I was a kid and getting snatched off the street was one of my biggest fears back then. As a matter of fact, my mom used to tell me that I'd follow her from room to room when I was little and would nearly have a melt down if I couldn't have constant eyes on her. I kind of remember bits and pieces of that from my childhood and do know that I had an intense fear of being separated permanently from my parents. I eventually grew out of it and I never really did know where those fears came from. Segments like the one about Michaela Garecht's abduction gave me nightmares as a child.

And of course I've already mentioned up thread that the Amy Bradley segment put me off ever taking a cruise, and the Patsy Wright segment scared me away from cough syrup for quite a while afterward. The Matthew Chase segment taught me why it wasn't a good idea to hit the ATM alone at night.
BlueGalexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:49 PM   #572
mphs95
Remember me?
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mphs95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGalexy View Post
I know I've said this before but I came up during the golden era of Robert Stack and that man was supremely talented at making nearly every UM segment seem scary. I have to say that the Dave Bocks case scared the hell out of me, lol. And just in case the idea of Bocks dying in that industrial furnace isn't creepy enough, UM made sure to mention the fact that Bocks' remains are too toxic to be laid to rest almost as a haunting afterthought. The Bocks segment made me lose a little sleep at night, lol.

For some reason I can't explain, the Michaela Garecht case creeped me out. I think it's probably because I was the same age as Garecht when she was abducted and frequently did things like ride my bike to the 7-Eleven up the street with my best friend. I was really a nervous thing when I was a kid and getting snatched off the street was one of my biggest fears back then. As a matter of fact, my mom used to tell me that I'd follow her from room to room when I was little and would nearly have a melt down if I couldn't have constant eyes on her. I kind of remember bits and pieces of that from my childhood and do know that I had an intense fear of being separated permanently from my parents. I eventually grew out of it and I never really did know where those fears came from. Segments like the one about Michaela Garecht's abduction gave me nightmares as a child.

And of course I've already mentioned up thread that the Amy Bradley segment put me off ever taking a cruise, and the Patsy Wright segment scared me away from cough syrup for quite a while afterward. The Matthew Chase segment taught me why it wasn't a good idea to hit the ATM alone at night.
The one time I went to an ATM at night in the 90s, where I lived was a small college town but damn I was scared to death until I left it. Thankfully, debit cards can be used in grocery stores and other well lit areas.
mphs95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:44 AM   #573
jOHnNyD
Occasional Poster

Leroy Drieth driving in his car with his throat slashed. Seeing that when I was young was terrifying.
jOHnNyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:43 AM   #574
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
I think I know where those fears came from. If you were the same age as Michaela Garecht when she was abducted, that means you're a year older than me. So I'm sure you have many of the same memories that I do that were in the media at the time.

Being a very little kid in the late 80's and into the early 90's, stranger danger warnings went into overdrive. The commercials and PSA's were endless to the point where they really freaked a lot of kids out. The most common scenario they would always come up with would be a car pulling aside you while you're walking home from school and the driver offering you a piece of candy and then trying to grab you off the street.

This was so ingrained into our brains that by the time the UM segment of Michaela Garecht aired, we had already been trained to be scared and cautious. And seeing what led up to her abduction was also so very familiar because of how relatable it was. Basically, every child in the country has at one point gotten on their bike or scooter and gone to a nearby store for a piece of candy, a slurpee or something. It was an early teaching point that evil can lurk anywhere. It's no wonder you were extra attached to your mom.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:35 PM   #575
BlueGalexy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88 View Post
I think I know where those fears came from. If you were the same age as Michaela Garecht when she was abducted, that means you're a year older than me. So I'm sure you have many of the same memories that I do that were in the media at the time.

Being a very little kid in the late 80's and into the early 90's, stranger danger warnings went into overdrive. The commercials and PSA's were endless to the point where they really freaked a lot of kids out. The most common scenario they would always come up with would be a car pulling aside you while you're walking home from school and the driver offering you a piece of candy and then trying to grab you off the street.

This was so ingrained into our brains that by the time the UM segment of Michaela Garecht aired, we had already been trained to be scared and cautious. And seeing what led up to her abduction was also so very familiar because of how relatable it was. Basically, every child in the country has at one point gotten on their bike or scooter and gone to a nearby store for a piece of candy, a slurpee or something. It was an early teaching point that evil can lurk anywhere. It's no wonder you were extra attached to your mom.
This makes a lot of sense DG, and makes me feel a little less like the weird kid who clung onto Mommy's pant leg, lol. I do vividly remember the "stranger danger" campaign during my early childhood years...it was pretty much unavoidable back then. My mom was actually disabled and spent a lot of time in and out of the hospital during that time in my life as well, and my dad told me that it was always particularly hard on me at the time.

There was actually an incident when I was about five years old and we were living in a small unit of duplexes. I was besties with the little neighbor girl back then and we frequently spent days playing together. The man who lived in the duplex directly across from ours approached us one day while we were playing and asked if we'd like to come inside and play with his new cat. My mom had the window open and overheard the invitation. She called out to me that lunch was ready and it was time to come inside for a bit. I said goodbye to my friend and bounced on home, a bit disappointed but thinking nothing more about it. Sadly, later that day, we found out that my friend HAD accepted his invitation. I was later told that my little friend had been molested by the neighbor man during that encounter and was taken away by the police. I was only five of course, so my parents were careful to explain the crime in terms that I could understand. It wasn't until I was an adult that my mom told me she'd overheard the entire exchange through the window and had made up the "lunch excuse" to get me away from him. She had assumed at the time that my friend had gone home as well and didn't find out otherwise until later that day.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:46 PM   #576
mphs95
Remember me?
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mphs95

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88 View Post

I remember those "stranger danger" warnings. We used to leaving the house in the morning during the summers where I grew up in Central MI and come home for lunch and dinner. However, we had "stranger danger" drilled into our heads, even though we were a small town. Whenever I went to the IGA for my mom on my bike, I'd always locked it somewhere where there were no cars around thanks to this case.
mphs95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:33 AM   #577
InStackWeTrust
Occasional Poster

The strange clicking noises when contact with Frederick Valentich was lost. Just really made you believe something otherworldly was happening to him.
InStackWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #578
baloony
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Well, there is no hard evidence that McDuff was involved in Angela Hammond's disappearance. In any case, he has been rotting "in that special place" since 1998, when then-Texas governor George W. Bush had the good sense to allow the state give McDuff the needle. When McDuff was executed, the mother of one of his victims said it best: "He's going where he needs to go. He looked like the devil."

Considering the circumstances of his murderous history, Kenneth McDuff became the poster boy for the death penalty.
As a matter of fact, Kenneth McDuff's own father told the authorities that if they got to him, to just kill him.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:07 PM   #579
WishfulDreamer
Forum 3K Club Member

Any crime that took place in a small window of opportunity:

Steve Wilson killing his ex-wife's father and getting him off his ranch so quickly that when the daughter came looking for her father, his coffee was still hot.

Keri Lynn Nixon being kidnapped between greeting her neighbor and a group of boys walking down the street (less than 5 minutes). Obviously, we now know that her killer had followed her from the convenience store she'd just shopped at.

Deborah Poe being abducted between the last customer who saw her and the Megadeth Guy sighting.

Cheryl Kenney being abducted the short distance between her car and the convenience store she'd just locked up for the night.

Same for Jodi Huisentruit, though this one was definitely pre-planned by someone waiting well in advance, in my opinion. She had very little distance to walk between her car and building.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 01:12 AM   #580
BlueGalexy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer View Post
Any crime that took place in a small window of opportunity:

Steve Wilson killing his ex-wife's father and getting him off his ranch so quickly that when the daughter came looking for her father, his coffee was still hot.

Keri Lynn Nixon being kidnapped between greeting her neighbor and a group of boys walking down the street (less than 5 minutes). Obviously, we now know that her killer had followed her from the convenience store she'd just shopped at.

Deborah Poe being abducted between the last customer who saw her and the Megadeth Guy sighting.

Cheryl Kenney being abducted the short distance between her car and the convenience store she'd just locked up for the night.

Same for Jodi Huisentruit, though this one was definitely pre-planned by someone waiting well in advance, in my opinion. She had very little distance to walk between her car and building.
I completely agree with you on this one WD. The Brian Foguth case is another perfect illustration of this IMO. Apparently, he was robbed at gunpoint and shot to death all within three minutes. The images of the crime that were captured by the store's security cams only heightens the chilling effect of that narrow timeline IMO.

And IIRC, the Matt Flores case also occurred within a short time frame. I still can't believe that the murder occurred in broad daylight, at a busy parking lot that was extensively covered by security cams and filled with potential witnesses, yet no one saw a thing! Adding even further insult is that the murder occurred in one of the very few areas not covered by said cameras. The assailant was either very skilled or just got sh*t house lucky if you ask me.

There is so little information to go on in both cases that I fear they may never be solved quite frankly.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:05 AM   #581
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
I completely agree with you on this one WD. The Brian Foguth case is another perfect illustration of this IMO. Apparently, he was robbed at gunpoint and shot to death all within three minutes. The images of the crime that were captured by the store's security cams only heightens the chilling effect of that narrow timeline IMO.

And IIRC, the Matt Flores case also occurred within a short time frame. I still can't believe that the murder occurred in broad daylight, at a busy parking lot that was extensively covered by security cams and filled with potential witnesses, yet no one saw a thing! Adding even further insult is that the murder occurred in one of the very few areas not covered by said cameras. The assailant was either very skilled or just got sh*t house lucky if you ask me.

There is so little information to go on in both cases that I fear they may never be solved quite frankly.
good points about matt flores. you previously mentioned Matthew chase, another one was Gretchen Burford. I would add Amy Wroe Bechtel. she was going about her day on a mountain run, not a place where there is usually crime, which is why many felt she died from exposure or animal attack. I'm convinced she was abducted. Tina Jefferson was abducted and murdered after being followed from a grocery store. Alicia S. Reynolds was abducted and murdered on the highway perhaps similar to Lisa Marie Kimmel and Dexter Stefonek. I think UM was scary because of all of the random violence.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:22 AM   #582
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:

Patsy Wright's segment scared me because it was close to where I lived. but I never really understood the case and still to this day don't understand why it hasn't been solved or revisited by the media and authorities in Arlington. I know there is more to that case than what is out there.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 01:39 PM   #583
WishfulDreamer
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:

These are also great examples and extremely frightening. It's become my habit to sit in my car listening to the radio before going into work, but sometimes I think of the Matt Flores segment since that's what the eyewitness was doing. I still find it utterly terrifying that Matt was likely a victim of mistaken identity, and this crime was carried out just out of camera range. Even though the car footage is a recreation, it still freaks me out to see what is most likely the killer's car casually returning from the crime scene to leave.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #584
Jon
Forum Regular

The moment that gets me is when Nancy Brown is blindfolded in the car pleading with Tim Barry.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote