Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 2, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman Remake for TBS; Schitt's Creek Producer Hoping to Replicate Success with Son of a Critch
Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...
Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show
Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu
Damon Wayans Jr. to Host Frogger; Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Getting All-Star Guests

New on DVD/Blu-ray (March-July)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)

03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
08/03 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #16
Oldschooler81
Frequent Poster

The biggest thing that stands out in my mind about this story is Mrs. Barry (the old woman he scammed out of money), I felt really bad for her, especially because of her age. When they started the story in 1978 she was already getting up there, and by the time the segment came out, Stack said to the effect that she was "now 92 years old and in fragile health".

Does anyone know when she passed away (I'm sure she wouldn't be alive now, at like 110), or if she was able to reaccumulate any of the money she'd lost?
Oldschooler81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #17
MegtheEgg86
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschooler81
The biggest thing that stands out in my mind about this story is Mrs. Barry (the old woman he scammed out of money), I felt really bad for her, especially because of her age. When they started the story in 1978 she was already getting up there, and by the time the segment came out, Stack said to the effect that she was "now 92 years old and in fragile health".

Does anyone know when she passed away (I'm sure she wouldn't be alive now, at like 110), or if she was able to reaccumulate any of the money she'd lost?
Ellen McClung Berry passed away in 1992, moved from Berrymount, and indeed lived the rest of her days off the proceeds from an endowment she had made to the University of Tennessee (my alma mater, btw ), where she had actually been an art professor for some time.

As I've said in other threads before, the McClungs are one of THE most important families of Knoxville (and there's not too many ). Everything is named McClung this, McClung that. Extremely influential people.

http://www.fountaincitytnhistory.inf...BerryEllen.htm

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #18
MissFit29
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Man

A friend of the lady whom Tondevald was scamming claims that "it doesn't make sense" for Tondevald to kill himself having stolen lots of money from the scammee. I'm not so sure; I'd argue that Tondevald knew the end of the gravy train was nigh--once they returned from South Carolina the jig was going to be up--and he also knew that he had now soaked the woman for all she had.
I think that Tondevold took Mrs. Berry to South Carolina as the final part of his plan to take all her money. If there were notices from bill collectors, banks, trusts, etc., they most likely were not being forwarded to them in SC. He got her away from Berrymount so she would not notice anything was amiss.

Quote:
I'm also far from convinced that Tondevald was necessarily looking for a body double in the ad. Looking for a chauffeur for a four-month trip makes some sense; Tondevald probably didn't want to have to drive her around all that time. Even asking for a picture for a job like that isn't that unusual; an older woman wouldn't want to be driven around by a scary-looking guy, and that could eliminate some candidates right off the bat. Also, one other key point: Tondevald posted the ad at the beginning of the four-month vacation. Why would Tondevald do that, when he "needed" the body double at the end of the vacation?
The advertisement for the chauffeur was for Berrymount. In the ad, it states that the chauffeur is needed for an east Tennessee country home, not for South Carolina. If Tondevold placed the ad at the beginning of a vacation, he would have more time to find a double. Also, he requested single men - if he planned to use the "chauffeur" as the double, a disappearance would be less likely to be immediately reported.

Quote:
It just seems to me like a rather high-risk strategy for disappearing...run an ad and hope that someone who looks vaguely like you responds, lure said candidate into the middle of nowhere, and fake a suicide and hope that the guy that identifies your body double never got a good look at you. If Tondevald wanted to disappear, all he would have had to do is stay behind in South Carolina (as he did), then take off somewhere else and just not bother with the body double and the fake suicide. He could have been long gone by the time anybody noticed.
I think it was clear that he did not want anyone to find him. The body was found in a remote area - it had been there for a while, so there were probably signs of decomposition, which would make identification difficult. Also, he requested immediate cremation in his suicide note. No photo ID was found on the body, but there were a few strategically placed items belonging to Mrs. Berry at the scene (the gun and the credit cards).

I tend to believe that Tondevold managed to escape with the money, and was not the body found in the swamp. I do have a few questions though.

1. How did Mrs. Berry and Tondevold first meet? (This is never fully explained and may not be known.)
2. How did Tondevold move the money without leaving a paper trail?
3. Were there any reports of a missing person around the time the body was found that could potentially be the actual victim?

This is still one of the most intriguing cases on UM for me.
MissFit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #19
mphs95
Remember me?
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mphs95

Tondevold sooooo did it. The fact that he wasn't some fancy Danish national but from Vegas (discovered by UM, not the police.....interesting) was always pretty funny to me.
mphs95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #20
Blackout
Sart Bimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessean
In the early 80's I was working in a specialty food shop in Knoxville called The Gourmet's Market and Dan Tondevold was a regular customer. I asked him about the origin of his name and he said he was Danish. I mentioned that I had a good friend from Aarhus and he said he had never heard of it. Aarhus is the second largest city in Denmark. I wonder how many Americans have never heard of Chicago?
chicago is the 4th largest city in America...LA is 2nd
Old 06-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #21
Mastermind

Quote:
I tend to believe that Tondevold managed to escape with the money, and was not the body found in the swamp. I do have a few questions though.

1. How did Mrs. Berry and Tondevold first meet? (This is never fully explained and may not be known.)
2. How did Tondevold move the money without leaving a paper trail?
3. Were there any reports of a missing person around the time the body was found that could potentially be the actual victim?
1. Most likely Dan met Mrs. Berry at some function, Dan probably was stalking her and just looked for an opening to meet her and charm his way into her life.

2. Good question, I believe there may be another party that helped Tondevald with the money side of things. Perhaps the dead body is that second party.

3. This is the biggest argument against Dan being alive. If there was a a dead chauffeur, that person would most likely be missed, even if he was unmarried. Perhaps this person was a vagrant or disreputable person. Someone desperate enough to take Dan's offer.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #22
deuce5000
Occasional Poster

According to MegtheEgg's link above, the Berry's met Tondevold in the sixties in a shop in San Francisco and struck up a conversation with him based on his similar appearance to their son.

I think it's possible that Tondevold found a double and slipped away. I think it's equally likely that, after going through all the trouble of taking the money and moving it into offshore accounts, he got scared or spooked (since the people at the resort where he was staying seemed to be onto him), or possibly had more trouble changing identities/getting out of the country than he had anticipated, and decided to take his own life rather than face prosecution.

I think if something like this were to happen to day, enough forensics and fingerprinting could be done to determine a.) whether or not the body was Tondevold or b.) how likely it was that the gunshot wound was self-inflicted. Given the time that it happened (mid-1980's) and the location (Fripp Island, a resort area) it's unlikely that the police force was accustomed to dealing with many possible homicides or had access to much in the way of advanced investigative techniques, and therefore the investigation was botched.
deuce5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #23
MissFit29
Forum Regular

There are discrepancies between the Las Vegas Dan Tondevold and the later one, but he could have easier had plastic surgery. He had been taking money from Mrs. Berry for years - it wouldn't have been difficult for a little nip and tuck here and there.

I wonder if they could have determined how long the body had been in the swamp. It's possible the body could have been there longer than the day of Tondevold's supposed "suicide." Also, he went to a resort about 100 miles from Charleston. If he found the double in Charleston to hire as the chauffeur, he may have brought him to Fripp Island to ensure his disappearance wasn't noted right away. Tondevold could have murdered him before writing the suicide note to have a body ready, in an area where it would not be found immediately.

A guy who was smart enough to get all that money would be able to devise a plan to get out of the country undetected.
MissFit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #24
SmukSkygge
First Time Poster

Default A note from Denmark

I am from Denmark and a huge fan of UM and as such was much surprised by the Dan Tondevold case, which I just watched in poor quality on youtube.

I did a little detective work of my own and as I expected ‘Tondevold’ or ‘Tøndevold’ is not a very common Danish surname. According to the National Statistics Bureau here less than five people share it. My feeling is that Tondevold/Tøndevold in fact originates from Norway; at least it sounds very Norwegian.

When looking at the pictures of Tondevold, I must admit he looks a picture perfect Dane/Scandinavian, so maybe he was from these parts of the world; however if he was indeed Danish why the very unusual surname and oblivion of Århus?

To me it seems more likely that he was a person masquerading as Dane and with a very limited knowledge of Denmark. Maybe he was born in Las Vegas by Norwegian/Danish immigrants (likely considering his birth year) and built his alter ego on the stories/accents of his family?
SmukSkygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #25
Mastermind

Quote:
I did a little detective work of my own and as I expected ‘Tondevold’ or ‘Tøndevold’ is not a very common Danish surname. According to the National Statistics Bureau here less than five people share it. My feeling is that Tondevold/Tøndevold in fact originates from Norway; at least it sounds very Norwegian.

When looking at the pictures of Tondevold, I must admit he looks a picture perfect Dane/Scandinavian, so maybe he was from these parts of the world; however if he was indeed Danish why the very unusual surname and oblivion of Århus?

To me it seems more likely that he was a person masquerading as Dane and with a very limited knowledge of Denmark. Maybe he was born in Las Vegas by Norwegian/Danish immigrants (likely considering his birth year) and built his alter ego on the stories/accents of his family?
Interesting

1. I just did a Google search and found a bunch of people by the last name Tondevold. So it is very common in America as a surname.

2. Lots of immigrants bastardize their names, it's possible their name was something else and they turned it into Tondeveold.

3. Do you know what Tondevold means in Norweigan? Is it a name from old Literature or Norse religions?
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #26
cindy5
Occasional Poster

Your all full of crap... Dan tondevold is my uncle!!! He is from vegas. He lived in santa Barbara for years.
cindy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #27
Drakken
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy5
Your all full of crap... Dan tondevold is my uncle!!! He is from vegas. He lived in santa Barbara for years.
Well of course we are full of crap! We do not know the man personally and know only the content of the segment.

If he is indeed your uncle, could you tell us more about him? Please tell us more, we are dying to know more about Dan Tondevold (yes, it is him in my avatar).
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #28
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy5
Well after I saw the segment and the fact he was in a Las Vegas high school yearbook I never doubted he was an American.

Any news about him, is he alive?
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:18 AM   #29
CanadianUMFan
Frequent Poster

I have always thought that the key to this case is the dead dog that was found with what was claimed to be Tondevold's body. Does anyone know if Tondevold actually had a dog?
CanadianUMFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #30
Apostapler
Forum Regular

I love this forum. We really get people to come out and talk about things when we all are left to speculate!
Apostapler is offline   Reply With Quote