Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Doogie Kamealoha, M.D. Premieres September 8; List of a Lifetime Casts TV Stars
Hulu Renews Love, Victor for Season 3; Archer Season 12 Premieres August 25 on FXX
Antenna TV Fall 2021 Schedule; Rewind TV Launch Schedule Beginning September 1
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 2, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman Remake for TBS; Schitt's Creek Producer Hoping to Replicate Success with Son of a Critch
Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April-August)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)

04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - The Neighborhood - Season Three
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-13-2021, 03:11 PM   #1
SheRaaa
Frequent Poster

Default Most naive family member interviewed?

Yesterday I was watching the Missy Munday segment, one of the earliest segments in UM's run (with the infamous "circlestantive evidence" quote by Jerry Strickland).

When watching this segment I couldn't help but observe how naive Missy's mother was, and how this is often a staple of family interviews on true crime shows (UM, Forensic Files, Dateline-type shows, etc.) She said her daughter was a shy girl and therefore she couldn't imagine her daughter running away with an older man.

Of course, this was in the late 1980s and people had different...levels of knowledge about human psychology back then. Now, we know that a shy, sheltered girl around the age of 15 would probably be exactly the type of girl a creepy older man would target, because this type of person (who likely wasn't receiving much attention from boys at school) would potentially be yearning for affection or even a desire for adventure.

The mother's interview was an interesting contrast to an interview with one of Missy's friends, who claimed that Missy was experiencing trouble at home and basically that Missy had "nothing at home" and only cared about her sibling (not her parents?). Interesting insight from the friend...perhaps her home life was not as rosy as her mother painted it out to be?

In a much, much more recent UM offering, the UM podcast, the episode titled "Wanted for Murder," the deceased victim's mother also seems a bit naive, saying her daughter "was really careful about dating" but also went on a trip with a guy three weeks after knowing him. (Please note I am not victim-blaming; this young lady's murder is 100% the fault of the bastard who killed her; I hope he gets caught and, frankly, fried.)

Any other interviews where family members seem particularly naive?
SheRaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #2
Columbogirl
Occasional Poster

Good question.

What immediately comes to mind is Doreen Marfeo’s sister on her belief that Stephen Marfeo had nothing to do with the disappearance of her sister.

Something to the effect “I don’t think he did it and his friends that I talked to don’t think he did it either”.

Some stellar logical reasoning there sis. Stellar.
Columbogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:18 PM   #3
WishfulDreamer
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbogirl View Post
Good question.

What immediately comes to mind is Doreen Marfeo’s sister on her belief that Stephen Marfeo had nothing to do with the disappearance of her sister.

Something to the effect “I don’t think he did it and his friends that I talked to don’t think he did it either”.

Some stellar logical reasoning there sis. Stellar.
I felt the same way about Bonnie Haim's father. I think both interviewees were just in a ton of denial and wanted to believe their loved ones walked off and their husbands didn't do them in...
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:53 PM   #4
Jon
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer View Post
I felt the same way about Bonnie Haim's father. I think both interviewees were just in a ton of denial and wanted to believe their loved ones walked off and their husbands didn't do them in...
The interview with Bonnie Haim’s father is one of the weirdest I can remember. It seems even more so now that Michael is convicted.

Larry Race’s in-laws’ logic seemed naive to say the least. (“If you only knew Larry...”)

That relative that made the argument against Eddie Whooten’s guilt (“in the first place Eddie ain’t got that much education.” stands out as well
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:01 PM   #5
SheRaaa
Frequent Poster

Good responses!

I also think Cynthia Anderson's unusual father deserves a mention. While he did say Cynthia was more concerned with being a "debutante" (lol...I don't think we're in the 1800s anymore dude), I think he was naive in that he seemed to be skeptical of her having any sort of life outside of her sheltered home existence.

Given Cynthia's clearly strict parents, I don't think it's out of the question that she may have run off. Whether or not she actually did is very much up for debate, but given her family I could see her potentially pulling a Missy Munday
SheRaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:30 PM   #6
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRaaa View Post
Good responses!

I also think Cynthia Anderson's unusual father deserves a mention. While he did say Cynthia was more concerned with being a "debutante" (lol...I don't think we're in the 1800s anymore dude), I think he was naive in that he seemed to be skeptical of her having any sort of life outside of her sheltered home existence.

Given Cynthia's clearly strict parents, I don't think it's out of the question that she may have run off. Whether or not she actually did is very much up for debate, but given her family I could see her potentially pulling a Missy Munday
The YouTube channel, 'BuzzFeed Unsolved Network' had kind of funny take on this observation of the very strict upbringing she had. They post a quote from Cynthia's sister that said...

"My parents wanted us involved with church, and we were."

Then they theorize that Cynthia, staring down the barrel of attending bible college with her boyfriend, who was also a part of the church, wanted to see the world apart from her very sheltered vantage point, and walking away was the easiest way to do so.

----------------------

Lotta church. A lot of church.

Church, church, church. What are you doing Sunday? Church. Tuesday? Church. Wednesday? Church. How about some church? Wanna do more church? What's your boyfriend like? Well, he likes church. What do you guys do for fun? Church. What are you going to study in college? More church...and the bible. I'm out of there. I'm bleaching my hair, plucking all my eyelashes out and I'm out of there.

----------------------

All jokes aside, the dad's comments were definitely cringeworthy. I don't doubt he loved his daughter but sheesh...a little makeup doesn't make you a street walker.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:09 PM   #7
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
The interview with Bonnie Haim’s father is one of the weirdest I can remember. It seems even more so now that Michael is convicted.

Larry Race’s in-laws’ logic seemed naive to say the least. (“If you only knew Larry...”)

That relative that made the argument against Eddie Whooten’s guilt (“in the first place Eddie ain’t got that much education.” stands out as well
I think it was Cheryl Holland's family that was naive. I could be wrong, but I always thought Eddie Wooten's family member was making that point as to say that Eddie wasn't the lone mastermind and that Cheryl was indeed behind the murders with Eddie being an accompolice. It was sort of to counter Cheryl's family member who was implicating that Cheryl was not involved or that Eddie forced her to become involved.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:38 AM   #8
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Definitely Bonnie Haim's father.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:44 AM   #9
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer View Post
With no body, a worried parent can probably convince themself of anything. (Even though it never made sense that Bonnie would secretly enroll her son in a new pre-school and THEN choose to abandon him.) The trouble is, after her remains were found buried IN MICHAEL'S OWN BACKYARD, I read that Bonnie's mother still believed he was innocent and did not celebrate with the rest of the family when the guilty verdict came in. That is denial to the extreme. I don't believe we ever got an updated quote from Bonnie's father.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #10
Jon
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALLASTEXAN!! View Post
I think it was Cheryl Holland's family that was naive. I could be wrong, but I always thought Eddie Wooten's family member was making that point as to say that Eddie wasn't the lone mastermind and that Cheryl was indeed behind the murders with Eddie being an accompolice. It was sort of to counter Cheryl's family member who was implicating that Cheryl was not involved or that Eddie forced her to become involved.
I thought that the "Eddie ain't got that much education" relative was Cheryl's family because he made that plea to her ("we're still your family...my number's the same")

Yes, if he just was saying that Eddie was not the one who masterminded the plot, then yes I agree he was correct...
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:28 AM   #11
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular

I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but it was a married woman who runs off with a murderer from prison she had been visiting. Her mother and sister are interviewed and seem completely oblivious to the fact she could be involved in a prison escape.
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:16 AM   #12
infinityluxe
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageSlowdive View Post
I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but it was a married woman who runs off with a murderer from prison she had been visiting. Her mother and sister are interviewed and seem completely oblivious to the fact she could be involved in a prison escape.
There were about 3-4 cases like this profiled and I only remember one of the ladies having to do time. The others were all considered victims. There was one where the lady met the escapee and his friend out on a back road and then RS says she thought they were on furlough LOL.

There was also the case where the man was caught and made it a point to say he held the woman hostage. I think he really cared for her.

I remember one case where the lady kept calling home every few years. Once she called wanting to know if she was a grandmother.

Some of these women were very lonely.
infinityluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #13
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Randy Parker is another one, IMO.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #14
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I thought that the "Eddie ain't got that much education" relative was Cheryl's family because he made that plea to her ("we're still your family...my number's the same")

Yes, if he just was saying that Eddie was not the one who masterminded the plot, then yes I agree he was correct...
Indeed. There was no relative of Eddie interviewed. I think DALLASTEXAN was referring more towards Cheryl's sister. Nothing she theorized was true. Her quotes...

"I think Eddie went berserk and Cheryl just happened to be there." (Wrong)

"She didn't know what to do." (Wrong)

"If she did burn the house, it was the only way she figured she could get away from Eddie until she could see it was safe for her and her babies, she was going to have to help him." (Wrong)

"I think Eddie or someone he knows has done something to her. Has killed her." (Wrong)

Those theories by Cheryl's sister may sound nauseating but I have a hard time piling on the sister. We've discussed before how this case was not only brutal but completely unnecessary. Joe and Mattie loved Cheryl as if she were their actual daughter. From the sound of things, if Cheryl had just asked, they would have given her the money in a heartbeat. Nobody ever had to die. If this was completely out of character to the sister she knew, it's only natural she would be in denial. Once Cheryl was captured, the sister had to find out the truth and the betrayal she felt must have been more devastating than the scenarios she had already played out in her head.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #15
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityluxe View Post
There were about 3-4 cases like this profiled and I only remember one of the ladies having to do time. The others were all considered victims. There was one where the lady met the escapee and his friend out on a back road and then RS says she thought they were on furlough LOL.

There was also the case where the man was caught and made it a point to say he held the woman hostage. I think he really cared for her.

I remember one case where the lady kept calling home every few years. Once she called wanting to know if she was a grandmother.

Some of these women were very lonely.
Finally figured it out: Jon Yount and Diane Brodbeck. At least her husband believed she left him for a murderer.
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote