Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Doogie Kamealoha, M.D. Premieres September 8; List of a Lifetime Casts TV Stars
Hulu Renews Love, Victor for Season 3; Archer Season 12 Premieres August 25 on FXX
Antenna TV Fall 2021 Schedule; Rewind TV Launch Schedule Beginning September 1
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 2, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman Remake for TBS; Schitt's Creek Producer Hoping to Replicate Success with Son of a Critch
Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April-August)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)

04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - The Neighborhood - Season Three
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #166
Hambone2421

A few things:

1. I'm not sure what to think of this murder/disappearance. The fact that the little girl was not hurt and was safely taken to a department store might lead some to believe that Mike did not want to hurt his daughter and thus spared her life. It would be very risky for a killer to take her into a town and risk being spotted or his license plate number written down by someone.

2. It could also suggest that a person other than Mike is responsible since his daughter was just left at the store. Most parents would not want to just leave their child in a store with random strangers, anyone of which could harm her.

3. Mike's father said that he believes that Mike is innocent since he left his coat behind. This does not make sense to me as Mike could have brought another coat with him and left the other there to throw off police.

4. The note that was left in the car is pointless to debate. Yes Mike probably wrote it but he may have written it with a gun pointed to his head. For anyone to point to that note as proof of Mike's guilt is sadly mistaken.

5. I wonder if the little girl was asked who brought her to the store? It seems like if her dad brought her, she would have said "daddy brought me." The fact that she ha snot said this makes me think that she probably saw her parents killed, the killer took her to the store and was most likely terrified of the killer and did not know the person's name.

6. If Mike was planning killing Diana, why wait until they go hunting for a Christmas tree? Why not take Diana out under the lure of setting traps and have someone else watch the girl? It doesn't make since to bring the girl if your planning a murder.

7. The tube sock thing is kinda odd. Does anyone know if the earlier murder involving a tube sock was a popular story in the town? If so, Mike could have killed Diana the same way to make it look like it was the serial killer and not himself.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #167
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
A few things:

1. I'm not sure what to think of this murder/disappearance. The fact that the little girl was not hurt and was safely taken to a department store might lead some to believe that Mike did not want to hurt his daughter and thus spared her life. It would be very risky for a killer to take her into a town and risk being spotted or his license plate number written down by someone.

2. It could also suggest that a person other than Mike is responsible since his daughter was just left at the store. Most parents would not want to just leave their child in a store with random strangers, anyone of which could harm her.

3. Mike's father said that he believes that Mike is innocent since he left his coat behind. This does not make sense to me as Mike could have brought another coat with him and left the other there to throw off police.

4. The note that was left in the car is pointless to debate. Yes Mike probably wrote it but he may have written it with a gun pointed to his head. For anyone to point to that note as proof of Mike's guilt is sadly mistaken.

5. I wonder if the little girl was asked who brought her to the store? It seems like if her dad brought her, she would have said "daddy brought me." The fact that she ha snot said this makes me think that she probably saw her parents killed, the killer took her to the store and was most likely terrified of the killer and did not know the person's name.

6. If Mike was planning killing Diana, why wait until they go hunting for a Christmas tree? Why not take Diana out under the lure of setting traps and have someone else watch the girl? It doesn't make since to bring the girl if your planning a murder.

7. The tube sock thing is kinda odd. Does anyone know if the earlier murder involving a tube sock was a popular story in the town? If so, Mike could have killed Diana the same way to make it look like it was the serial killer and not himself.
In regards to number 7, I'm sure the murders were talked about but I doubt the police publically came out with the specifics, most notably that a sock was found tied around Ruth Cooper's neck. It wasn't until Diana was found with one that they made the connection that the two may have been linked. I believe the investigator interviewed on UM said when he saw the way the sock was tied around Diana the hairs stood up on his neck because it was the same exact way the knott was used in the Cooper homicide. So the odds that Riemer would be able to replicate this seem fairly slim. That's why I tend to think if Riemer is guilty, he would have to be a serial killer. I agree with your points (4-6). But I think it would be more risky for Riemer to drop his daughter off in a highly populated shopping center close to his home. All it would take would be someone to witness him driving in his truck either alone or with Crystal, and he instantly becomes the number one suspect in Diana's murder. Riemer's home was located in Puyallup and Crystal was found in Spanaway, which was approx. 12 miles. Why would Riemer not drive the additional 15-20 minutes (after just traveled 30 miles from the area he allegedly murdered Diana) to his home where he could easily have dropped her off close to his house with the hopes that someone would recognize her? And if Riemer was responsible and planned a life on the run he would have went to his place to pack, why not just leave Crystal there?

There are several sources that say Crystal was dropped off the day after Riemer and Diana's disappearance. If that is true, it makes Riemer's involvement IMHO less likely.

Last edited by TheCars1986; 01-10-2011 at 01:57 PM.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #168
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
There are several sources that say Crystal was dropped off the day after Riemer and Diana's disappearance. If that is true, it makes Riemer's involvement IMHO less likely.
Who are the sources?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #169
cocytus
Forum Regular

Riemer's guilt or innocence probably also depends on the police "hold backs." Not sure what the police are "holding back" concerning this case, but since the available evidence makes him appear to be guilty, you have to wonder what the additional evidence states.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #170
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
Who are the sources?
There is an old post on this board (a link is in this thread) with several articles from the Seattle Times that say Crystal was found in the afternoon on the day after they went missing. Other articles place Crystal at the store later in the evening (around 8:30 p.m.) the same day of Riemer and Robertson's fateful trip. Unsolved Mysteries seems to be the only source that says Crystal was found on the same afternoon of Diana and Riemer's trip, implying that it was shortly after they set out on their trip. The DOE network website also states this:

"The family were to return to Puyallup by nightfall the day they went out. When they did not return by the next morning, a relative notified the Pierce County Sheriff's Office. Crystal Robertson was found later that afternoon, wandering alone at a Spanaway discount store and was taken into protective custody."
Old 01-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #171
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
There is an old post on this board (a link is in this thread) with several articles from the Seattle Times that say Crystal was found in the afternoon on the day after they went missing. Other articles place Crystal at the store later in the evening (around 8:30 p.m.) the same day of Riemer and Robertson's fateful trip. Unsolved Mysteries seems to be the only source that says Crystal was found on the same afternoon of Diana and Riemer's trip, implying that it was shortly after they set out on their trip. The DOE network website also states this:

"The family were to return to Puyallup by nightfall the day they went out. When they did not return by the next morning, a relative notified the Pierce County Sheriff's Office. Crystal Robertson was found later that afternoon, wandering alone at a Spanaway discount store and was taken into protective custody."
When they say "later that afternoon" they are meaning the same day they went out in the woods. I agree it would make Riemer look less guilty if it was the next day but LE has that info. They know when the child showed up at the store for a fact.
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #172
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
In regards to number 7, I'm sure the murders were talked about but I doubt the police publically came out with the specifics, most notably that a sock was found tied around Ruth Cooper's neck. It wasn't until Diana was found with one that they made the connection that the two may have been linked. I believe the investigator interviewed on UM said when he saw the way the sock was tied around Diana the hairs stood up on his neck because it was the same exact way the knott was used in the Cooper homicide. So the odds that Riemer would be able to replicate this seem fairly slim. That's why I tend to think if Riemer is guilty, he would have to be a serial killer. I agree with your points (4-6). But I think it would be more risky for Riemer to drop his daughter off in a highly populated shopping center close to his home. All it would take would be someone to witness him driving in his truck either alone or with Crystal, and he instantly becomes the number one suspect in Diana's murder. Riemer's home was located in Puyallup and Crystal was found in Spanaway, which was approx. 12 miles. Why would Riemer not drive the additional 15-20 minutes (after just traveled 30 miles from the area he allegedly murdered Diana) to his home where he could easily have dropped her off close to his house with the hopes that someone would recognize her? And if Riemer was responsible and planned a life on the run he would have went to his place to pack, why not just leave Crystal there?

He never stated that the knots where the same. He did state that the socks where a match. I took this to mean that it was the same style and color of tube socks. Which would mean the connection would be obvious. If the knot tied was the same I dont see that as anything interesting. How many different knots could you really tie around someone's neck with a sock???
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #173
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
He never stated that the knots where the same. He did state that the socks where a match. I took this to mean that it was the same style and color of tube socks. Which would mean the connection would be obvious. If the knot tied was the same I dont see that as anything interesting. How many different knots could you really tie around someone's neck with a sock???
Didn't it state in the segment that when the detective compared the knots both he and the evidence technicians were surprised that the knots were the same?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #174
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
I don't know but here's an exact quote from the UM website: "According to Detective Neiser, the tube sock on Diana had been tied with exactly the same type of knot as in the earlier murder."

And from the broadcast: "In a grisly similarity, Diana Robertson had another tube sock around her neck tied in exactly the same type of knot."

Quote:
When they say "later that afternoon" they are meaning the same day they went out in the woods. I agree it would make Riemer look less guilty if it was the next day but LE has that info. They know when the child showed up at the store for a fact.
No they are saying the day of their reported disappearance (the day after their trip) she was found that afternoon according to the DOE network. I think there may be confusion when certain articles/websites say "the day she disappeared", when they could mean the day she was reported missing. And there are other articles that state it was a couple of days until she was found at the store.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #175
Hambone2421

Quote:
No they are saying the day of their reported disappearance (the day after their trip) she was found that afternoon according to the DOE network. I think there may be confusion when certain articles/websites say "the day she disappeared", when they could mean the day she was reported missing. And there are other articles that state it was a couple of days until she was found at the store.
I agree. Although confusing to some, it does say that the day they were reported missing (which would be the day after they left) the girl was found in the store.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #176
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

Funny how his name isn't even on the doenetwork. Technically he is a missing person.
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #177
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
Didn't it state in the segment that when the detective compared the knots both he and the evidence technicians were surprised that the knots were the same?
I never heard him say the knots. I thought he was saying the socks where a match. I will have to watch it again
Old 01-11-2011, 02:22 AM   #178
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
I don't know but here's an exact quote from the UM website: "According to Detective Neiser, the tube sock on Diana had been tied with exactly the same type of knot as in the earlier murder."

And from the broadcast: "In a grisly similarity, Diana Robertson had another tube sock around her neck tied in exactly the same type of knot."

I will have to watch again but I never remember them saying the knots where tied the same. Like I said it could be, but really how many differnet knots could you tie a tube sock in around someones neck?
The epsiode does clearly state though that Crystal was found the same day that she and her parents had went into the woods to get a tree and check trap lines. It is at the very beginning.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #179
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworkhigh
Funny how his name isn't even on the doenetwork. Technically he is a missing person.
I thought he was on doenetwork?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #180
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
I thought he was on doenetwork?
He is:http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3684dmwa.html