Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu
Damon Wayans Jr. to Host Frogger; Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Getting All-Star Guests
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 26, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Manifest Cancellation Being Reconsidered; American Housewife Sold for Broadcast Syndication
Fri-Yay: 2021 Emmy Nominations Heavy on New Comedies, Light on Traditional Sitcoms; That Damn Michael Che Gets a Second Season
Lifetime Announces Justina Machado TV Movie; ABC News to Focus on Superstars
HBO Max's Love Life Season 2 Announces Cast; Kevin Hart and Jason Biggs Host Back-to-Back Shows on E!

New on DVD/Blu-ray (March-July)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)

03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
08/03 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #151
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
Um well if Riemer did infact kill Diana and was having to come up with a quick plan to get away I cant imagine that dropping her off at a relatives house would be the smartest thing to do. I mean then it would be obvious to everyone that he wasnt a victim and was indeed the killer. Unless ofcourse just by chance the unknown killer dropped her off at a random house and it just happened to be a relative. That would be a stretch I would think.

Why didnt they make the connection sooner?? Well Crystal was found 30 miles away from where they had went missing. Probably different jurisdictions involved here. No connection was made between Crystal and her missing parents until three days later when she was on TV and her grandmother saw her. So that should tell you just how little these LE agencies work together or share info. Do you see now why it could have been so easy for Mike to slip away?????????

I also dont get how you think the 48 hour rule would apply here when they didnt even know if a crime had been committed. They where out looking for them the next day but without bodies or a crime scene there isnt much that can be done. Even if they had made the connection between Crystal and her missing parents right off it would not have helped the search effort any.
It could have been very easy for Riemer to have slipped through the cracks, initially. He is not alive after all of these years. There were three whole days before anyone knew anything about Riemer, Diana, and Crystal. As far as law enforcement was concerned they could have been a family that went on an extended holiday. Had they made the connection sooner it would have set off flares to have a little girl abandoned and her parents missing. Foul play would have came to mind, and if Riemer was alive and responsible, it could have led to finding someone who gave him a ride or saw him, etc. Crystal was found thirty miles from where Diana's body was found, and she was found in the same county that Riemer and Diana resided. So it would have been the same jurisdiction investigating.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #152
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
It could have been very easy for Riemer to have slipped through the cracks, initially. He is not alive after all of these years. There were three whole days before anyone knew anything about Riemer, Diana, and Crystal. As far as law enforcement was concerned they could have been a family that went on an extended holiday. Had they made the connection sooner it would have set off flares to have a little girl abandoned and her parents missing. Foul play would have came to mind, and if Riemer was alive and responsible, it could have led to finding someone who gave him a ride or saw him, etc. Crystal was found thirty miles from where Diana's body was found, and she was found in the same county that Riemer and Diana resided. So it would have been the same jurisdiction investigating.
Since information was never brought forth stating that Riemer had any long-term or significant medical issues, I have no problems believing that he's still alive. Especially if he went a "traditional" route of survival rather than the "mountain men" route.

He was 36. It's only been 20 years since he disappeared and average the life expectancy is the mid 70's for a White American male. That means Riemer,would likely live an additional 20 years or so more from now, unless he was in poor health, abused alcohol or drugs or was killed in an accident or murdered at a later time.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #153
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Are you sure it was same county? I thought one was Lewis and one was Pierce? I could be wrong. But even still if it was it just proves what Im saying about how easily he could have gotten away. If the local police take three days to tie in this abandoned child with the couple that went missing then how do you expect that they would have found Riemer? I also doubt the Police took the missing person report very seriously right off the bat. Seeing as how this was a family and not just a child. I would bet they just assumed they had decided to camp out or stay overnight where they where.

I see what your saying now about if she would have been identified right off the bat and how that may have helped Mike get nabbed before he got out of town. That does make sense but obviously it didnt happen so not much else to be said there.
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #154
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
I just want to know what makes you assume he is dead?? If indeed he got out of there and started a new life then why is it so unthinkable that he could still be going today??
Consider there has been no manhunt for him and the FBI has made no effort to track him down. He is listed as missing and not as a fugitive. He has not been charged with any crime and there is no warrant for his arrest.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #155
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
I just want to know what makes you assume he is dead?? If indeed he got out of there and started a new life then why is it so unthinkable that he could still be going today??
Consider there has been no manhunt for him and the FBI has made no effort to track him down. He is listed as missing and not as a fugitive. He has not been charged with any crime and there is no warrant for his arrest.
I agree. If Riemer left the area, didn't drive much (or at all) paid only cash, didn't use his SSN, stayed mostly out of trouble (and didn't get into any serious trouble) and led a low-key lifestyle, there's no reason NOT believe that he isn't still alive and just hiding.

Actually, after 20 years and w/ no arrest warrants out for him, I'm not too sure how "hidden" that he'd have to be. He would probably remain undercover just to prevent detection, but he could certainly be living anywhere in the US (w/ the exception the Pacific Northwest) w/ few problems.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #156
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
I assume he's dead based off of what we know. He's either the victim of a serial killer, or he was himself the serial killer. If you subscribe to the theory that Riemer is guilty here is why I think he's dead:

1. Three people go into the woods. One is found alive at the store later that night. One is found two months later stabbed to death seventeen times. To this day the other person is missing, and there have been no sightings of this person.

2. There was a note found in the truck that said, "I love you Diana". While this really could mean nothing more than a note Riemer wrote for her earlier, or possibly had a gift inside of it for her, it could also be an apology/confession from Riemer.

3. Whoever dropped Crystal off is most likely the person who killed Diana. If Riemer was responsible and planned on running it would have been easier to take Crystal with him, instead of driving the thirty miles and then back to leave his truck. Unless he planned on killing himself. Then dropping Crystal off makes more sense, for if he killed himself Crystal would have no way out of the woods.

4. There have been no confirmed sightings of this man, nor has anyone came forward after all of these years to say they either gave him a lift, or even helped him escape. If Riemer hitchiked out of the area, the odds that he was picked up by a local are fairly high. And even though this wasn't nationally known, it was still locally known and someone local would have recognized or remembered giving him a lift.

Guilty or innocent, I really think he's dead.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #157
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
I assume he's dead based off of what we know. He's either the victim of a serial killer, or he was himself the serial killer. If you subscribe to the theory that Riemer is guilty here is why I think he's dead:

1. Three people go into the woods. One is found alive at the store later that night. One is found two months later stabbed to death seventeen times. To this day the other person is missing, and there have been no sightings of this person.

2. There was a note found in the truck that said, "I love you Diana". While this really could mean nothing more than a note Riemer wrote for her earlier, or possibly had a gift inside of it for her, it could also be an apology/confession from Riemer.

3. Whoever dropped Crystal off is most likely the person who killed Diana. If Riemer was responsible and planned on running it would have been easier to take Crystal with him, instead of driving the thirty miles and then back to leave his truck. Unless he planned on killing himself. Then dropping Crystal off makes more sense, for if he killed himself Crystal would have no way out of the woods.

4. There have been no confirmed sightings of this man, nor has anyone came forward after all of these years to say they either gave him a lift, or even helped him escape. If Riemer hitchiked out of the area, the odds that he was picked up by a local are fairly high. And even though this wasn't nationally known, it was still locally known and someone local would have recognized or remembered giving him a lift.

Guilty or innocent, I really think he's dead.
Let's see:

1) Whitey Bulger, international fugitive, wanted by FBI;sought by Interpol. Can't be found. Mike Riemer missing person from Washington state (no warrant) Can't be found. See where I'm going?

2) The note was under windshield wiper. It was a manila envelope and may have contained something. We won't know unless and until they find Riemer.

3) It would NOT be "easier" to take a young child "with you" especially if you plan (at least in the short term) a life on the run. The "easiest" things to have done would be to kill her or leave her in the woods. The person that left her at K-Mart obviously didn't want to do either.

4) No warrant. An average looking person for whom they have only bad pictures. A guy that works off the books and has remained out of trouble. How would anybody find him? Where would they start looking?

Riemer could be dead...and just as certainly could be alive.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #158
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
Let's see:

1) Whitey Bulger, international fugitive, wanted by FBI;sought by Interpol. Can't be found. Mike Riemer missing person from Washington state (no warrant) Can't be found. See where I'm going?

2) The note was under windshield wiper. It was a manila envelope and may have contained something. We won't know unless and until they find Riemer.

3) It would NOT be "easier" to take a young child "with you" especially if you plan (at least in the short term) a life on the run. The "easiest" things to have done would be to kill her or leave her in the woods. The person that left her at K-Mart obviously didn't want to do either.

4) No warrant. An average looking person for whom they have only bad pictures. A guy that works off the books and has remained out of trouble. How would anybody find him? Where would they start looking?

Riemer could be dead...and just as certainly could be alive.
1) No I really don't see where your going here. To compare a career criminal with lots of money and several resources to a roofer is like comparing a panther to Sylvester the Cat.

2) The note was found on the dash, not under the windshield. The note could mean nothing and it could mean everything. We may never know.

3) Would you kill your own child if you planned on going on the run, or would you take them with you? What would be easier for you?

4) There's a reason there's no warrant. Law enforcement doesn't have enough to pin the crimes on Riemer. A roofer who works off the books would have trouble finding work over the years, especially today. So the odds of him travelling a lot looking for work are high. The fact that he was an accomplished guitar player also makes him stand out. And he was an avid trapper, how many people do you know that are trappers? UM was seen by thousands of people (maybe even millions), and there were no known sightings reported after the broadcast. That's enough IMO to conclude that he's most likely dead.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #159
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
1) No I really don't see where your going here. To compare a career criminal with lots of money and several resources to a roofer is like comparing a panther to Sylvester the Cat.

2) The note was found on the dash, not under the windshield. The note could mean nothing and it could mean everything. We may never know.

3) Would you kill your own child if you planned on going on the run, or would you take them with you? What would be easier for you?

4) There's a reason there's no warrant. Law enforcement doesn't have enough to pin the crimes on Riemer. A roofer who works off the books would have trouble finding work over the years, especially today. So the odds of him travelling a lot looking for work are high. The fact that he was an accomplished guitar player also makes him stand out. And he was an avid trapper, how many people do you know that are trappers? UM was seen by thousands of people (maybe even millions), and there were no known sightings reported after the broadcast. That's enough IMO to conclude that he's most likely dead.
1) Bulger- Everbody looking for. Can't find. Riemer - Nobody looking for (except for UM fans) Can't find.

2) Look at the segment again. They showed the note being under the wiper.

3) I can't answer that as I have never killed anyone. If I did, then I suppose I would at least have the decency to leave the kid w/ a sitter while I was doing that.

You can't take a young child on the run...especially if you are a man. It just doesn't work.

4) You've never done roofing, I see. Roofing is a lucrative business even when the economy is slow. While new housing is the "bread and butter" for most roofing companies, there are always businesses and older homes that need patch jobs and new roofs.

Riemer could have made hundreds of thousands of dollars in the last 20 years and could saved most of it by living w/ a woman or in a lower cost area.

If he went full "mountain man" who would turn him in...the animals? Most of those guys (mountain men) are on the run from child support or the law anyway; they aren't going to say much.

Even if millions of people saw the Riemer segment and called the hotline or wrote the show, the majority of those "tips" would likely be incorrect. W/O video or higher quality pictures of Riemer, I can guarantee that he could walk down the street in most major cities and not even LE members would recognize him.

Last edited by cocytus; 01-07-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #160
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:

1. You dont need alot of money to hide just look how long Eric Rudolf went without being picked up and he was at the top of the FBI most wanted list.

2. The not really has no meaning at all. It tells us nothing.

3. Would he kill his child or take her?? That is up to him. How can we know?? Obviously whoever dropped her off didnt want to take her or kill her.

4. They actually do have enough evidence to charge Riemer. As was said in the episode, they simply can't prove he is alive.
A roofer having trouble finding work??? You gotta be kidding me. Why do you think so many illegal aliens flock to roofing?? There is always work and it pays in cash. And what other trades might he be skilled in?? Besides trapping we really dont know.
How do you know there where no reported sightings??? They never updated this case so for all we know there coudl have been a hundred tips that lead to nothing.
There is only one reason that Riemer is not a fugitive and is not being pursued and that is the tube sock. Because of the similarities between Diana and Ruth Cooper there is a chance that same person killed both as well as Mike. If not for that tube sock the Mike would be pursued by LE and I think he may have realized that.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #161
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
4. They actually do have enough evidence to charge Riemer. As was said in the episode, they simply can't prove he is alive.
A roofer having trouble finding work??? You gotta be kidding me. Why do you think so many illegal aliens flock to roofing?? There is always work and it pays in cash. And what other trades might he be skilled in?? Besides trapping we really dont know.
How do you know there where no reported sightings??? They never updated this case so for all we know there coudl have been a hundred tips that lead to nothing.
There is only one reason that Riemer is not a fugitive and is not being pursued and that is the tube sock. Because of the similarities between Diana and Ruth Cooper there is a chance that same person killed both as well as Mike. If not for that tube sock the Mike would be pursued by LE and I think he may have realized that.
If Riemer is out their setting the roofing world on fire, that increases his contact with people thus making his discovery more likely. We know their are no reported sightings, he's on the DOE network and the Charley project websites and neither report any sightings of him.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #162
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
If Riemer is out their setting the roofing world on fire, that increases his contact with people thus making his discovery more likely. We know their are no reported sightings, he's on the DOE network and the Charley project websites and neither report any sightings of him.
UM, The DOE network and the Charley project are all important sources of information that unfortunately are only viewed and/or researched by a tiny portion of the population. It very certainly conceivable that people who frequent the sites could have seen Mike Riemer and not have known that was him. Multiple times. He isn't a very distinctive looking person.

And there would be no need Riemer to "set the roofing world on fire" as it is a lucrative business and like most construction work attracts people who will work for cash and may have issues w/ the law. Since Riemer isn't wanted for a crime and has only been reported as being "missing" why would anybody turn him in? There's not even a reward for his capture or information.

The $2 million offered for Whitey Bulger is getting tips and attention, but no actual leads. "Free" isn't going to attract too many takers.

Last edited by cocytus; 01-10-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #163
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
UM, The DOE network and the Charley project are all important sources of information that unfortunately are only viewed and/or researched by a tiny portion of the population. It very certainly conceivable that people who frequent the sight could have seen Mike Riemer and not have known that was him. Multiple times. He isn't a very distinctive looking person.

And there would be no need Riemer to "set the roofing world on fire" as it is a lucrative business and like most construction work attracts people who will work for cash and may have issues w/ the law. Since Riemer isn't wanted for a crime and has only been reported as being "missing" why would anybody turn him in? There's not even a reward for his capture or information.

The $2 million offered for Whitey Bulger is getting tips and attention, but no actual leads. "Free" isn't going to attract too many takers.
If roofing was such a lucrative business for Riemer, why did he also trap on the side? The fact that he was a trapper as well to supplement his income shows he wasn't making enough in the roofing trade. And if Riemer is alive, there's a good possibility that he's still trapping. And that would distinguish him even more. The fact that there's no reward nor warrant for Riemer tells me that the authorities believe he is dead either way.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #164
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Does anyone else think its possible that the person who murdered Bobbi Jo Oberholtzer and Annette Schnee may be responsible for these other murders? All homicides involved an orange sock, all (with the exception of Diana Robertson) were shot to death, all were in isolated mountainess areas, and all were in cold climates. The Schnee/Oberholtzer homicides happened in 82 and it's conceivable that the person responsible drifted out of the area and made his way to Washington by 85.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #165
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
If roofing was such a lucrative business for Riemer, why did he also trap on the side? The fact that he was a trapper as well to supplement his income shows he wasn't making enough in the roofing trade. And if Riemer is alive, there's a good possibility that he's still trapping. And that would distinguish him even more. The fact that there's no reward nor warrant for Riemer tells me that the authorities believe he is dead either way.
Roofing is seasonal in the Pacific Northwest. Had Riemer moved to an area where he could roof most or all of the year (which he would have had to do after this) then he could have made far more money. And it's clear that living off the books was Riemer's preferred state of being.

The trapping, I'm sure, paid cash which is always a benefit.Also, the trapping and/or poaching business (which Riemer would be forced to do as he would have to fill out paperwork for a license) is quite lucrative on its own. Especially if you are good at it and you don't spend a lot of money. From the look of Riemer's truck,spending a lot money wasn't a problem for him.

A clean shaven, and now bald, Riemer would be difficult for people to identify. Even if he were located, there's no warrant out for his arrest, so the police where he's at, would have a difficult time justifying holding him, if they could detain him at all.

Last edited by cocytus; 01-10-2011 at 01:19 PM.