Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman Remake for TBS; Schitt's Creek Producer Hoping to Replicate Success with Son of a Critch
Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...
Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show
Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu
Damon Wayans Jr. to Host Frogger; Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Getting All-Star Guests
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 26, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (March-July)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)

03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
08/03 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

Default Cynthia Anderson

I couldn't find a proper thread about her, so I made one.

20-year-old Cynthia Jane Anderson disappeared on August 4th, 1981, from her job as a legal secretary at the law offices of Jim Rabbitt and Jay Feldstein in Toledo, Ohio. They found their desks prepared for that day and the radio turned on. Her car keys and purse were found but her car was locked and sitting in the parking lot. Mail was left unclaimed in the front door handle and a romance novel she was reading was left open on the only violent scene in the book, where the heroine was abducted at knifepoint. She did not leave a note in the door, which she would do if she needed to step out during work hours. She left a substantial amount of money in her bank account and her social security number has not been used since she vanished.

Cynthia, nicknamed "Cindy", was a devout Christian who her father said, loved her family and obeyed her parents. She had a boyfriend and a circle of friends. Her sister, Christine Savidge, said Cynthia was planning to leave her job 2 weeks after she had disappeared to attend Bible college. Cynthia had relayed to her mother that she had been having nightmares about a man attacking her. Her mother died of cancer in 1983. Cynthia had also been getting harassing phone calls in the weeks leading up to her disappearance. Cynthia would keep her office door locked and a buzzer was installed in her office to alert the business next door in case she came across trouble. Someone had spray painted "I love you Cindy by GW" on a wall outside the office that bothered Cynthia. The message was painted over weeks later only for whomever tagged the first one to write the message again in larger lettering. A client named Larry Mullins said that Cynthia had gotten a phone call a day before she vanished that bothered her. After he went home, he was so concerned about her that he had the police check on her.

Michael Anderson, Cynthia's father, said that she became debutante-like shortly before she disappeared. She started taking extra care of her face and skipped meals. A month after Cynthia vanished, a woman called to say that Cynthia was being held in a white house. She talked in low whispers and didn't stay on the line long. She later called the police back and said that there were 2 houses side by side and owned by the same family. She said Cynthia was in the basement of one of the homes and that the family was out of town but that the son was home. Police checked every street on the north side of Toledo but couldn't find the exact houses the lady claimed that Cynthia was held at. Cynthia's father Michael never moved from the house she grew up in and never changed the phone number in case Cynthia were to find her way home. He died in 2008. It is noted in his obituary that Cynthia preceded him in death.

Shortly after Cynthia vanished, 9 people were indicted by a grand jury for drug trafficking. Investigators suspect that Cynthia knew one of the men, Jose Rodriguez Jr., and his attorney Richard Neller. Neller worked at the law firm where Cynthia had worked and authorities theorize that Cynthia overheard conversations between Neller and Rodriguez concerning drug deals prior to her disappearance. They feel that both men killed Cynthia to keep her quiet about the drug deals, but this has never been proven. An informant testified at Rodriguez's 1995 trial that Rodriguez confessed to killing Cynthia, but the testimony was ruled to be unreliable. Both men are currently imprisoned due to drug convictions.

Anthony and Nathaniel Cook, 2 brothers convicted of 9 murders between them in the 1980's, have denied being involved in Cynthia's disappearance. Another man currently imprisoned in Ohio is also thought to have been involved in Cynthia's disappearance but no connection has been established and the man was never publicly identified. All 3 men however, have not been officially ruled out by investigators in Cynthia's disappearance. Cynthia Anderson remains missing and her case unsolved.

Cynthia Jane Anderson is 5'4, 115 lbs. and has brown hair and brown eyes. She has a chicken pox scar on her forehead and a 1 1/2 inch scar on the inside of her right knee shaped like an open fish hook. She would today be 51 years old.

Last edited by 1990 UM fan; 11-25-2012 at 12:57 PM.
1990 UM fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
I couldn't find a proper thread about her, so I made one.

20-year-old Cynthia Jane Anderson disappeared on August 4th, 1981, from her job as a legal secretary at the law offices of Jim Rabbitt and Jay Feldstein in Toledo, Ohio. They found their desks prepared for that day and the radio turned on. Her car keys and purse were found but her car was locked and sitting in the parking lot. Mail was left unclaimed in the front door handle and a romance novel she was reading was left open on the only violent scene in the book, where the heroine was abducted at knifepoint. She did not leave a note in the door, which she would do if she needed to step out during work hours. She left a substantial amount of money in her bank account and her social security number has not been used since she vanished.

Cynthia, nicknamed "Cindy", was a devout Christian who her father said, loved her family and obeyed her parents. She had a boyfriend and a circle of friends. Her sister, Christine Savidge, said Cynthia was planning to leave her job 2 weeks after she had disappeared to attend Bible college. Cynthia had relayed to her mother that she had been having nightmares about a man attacking her. Her mother died of cancer in 1983. Cynthia had also been getting harassing phone calls in the weeks leading up to her disappearance. Cynthia would keep her office door locked and a buzzer was installed in her office to alert the business next door in case she came across trouble. Someone had spray painted "I love you Cindy by GW" on a wall outside the office that bothered Cynthia. The message was painted over weeks later only for whomever tagged the first one to write the message again in larger lettering. A client named Larry Mullins said that Cynthia had gotten a phone call a day before she vanished that bothered her. After he went home, he was so concerned about her that he had the police check on her.

Michael Anderson, Cynthia's father, said that she became debutante-like shortly before she disappeared. She started taking extra care of her face and skipped meals. A month after Cynthia vanished, a woman called to say that Cynthia was being held in a white house. She talked in low whispers and didn't stay on the line long. She later called the police back and said that there were 2 houses side by side and owned by the same family. She said Cynthia was in the basement of one of the homes and that the family was out of town but that the son was home. Police checked every street on the north side of Toledo but couldn't find the exact houses the lady claimed that Cynthia was held at. Cynthia's father Michael never moved from the house she grew up in and never changed the phone number in case Cynthia were to find her way home. He died in 2008. It is noted in his obituary that Cynthia preceded him in death.

Shortly after Cynthia vanished, 9 people were indicted by a grand jury for drug trafficking. Investigators suspect that Cynthia knew one of the men, Jose Rodriguez Jr., and his attorney Richard Neller. Neller worked at the law firm where Cynthia had worked and authorities theorize that Cynthia overheard conversations between Neller and Rodriguez concerning drug deals prior to her disappearance. They feel that both men killed Cynthia to keep her quiet about the drug deals, but this has never been proven. An informant testified at Rodriguez's 1995 trial that Rodriguez confessed to killing Cynthia, but the testimony was ruled to be unreliable. Both men are currently imprisoned due to drug convictions.

Anthony and Nathaniel Cook, 2 brothers convicted of 9 murders between them in the 1980's, have denied being involved in Cynthia's disappearance. Another man currently imprisoned in Ohio is also thought to have been involved in Cynthia's disappearance but no connection has been established and the man was never publicly identified. All 3 men however, have not been officially ruled out by investigators in Cynthia's disappearance. Cynthia Anderson remains missing and her case unsolved.

Cynthia Jane Anderson is 5'4, 115 lbs. and has brown hair and brown eyes. She has a chicken pox scar on her forehead and a 1 1/2 inch scar on the inside of her right knee shaped like an open fish hook. She would today be 51 years old.
good post and hopefully this one will be solved. it has all of the elements of one of the UM's that would have us looking in different directions. I either forgot or was never aware of the drug theory. that's strong evidence there. she could have been a victim of a drug dealer that was involved with violent crime.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
tamanshud
Occasional Poster

I don't remember this one. Heartbreaking
tamanshud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
Necco

Someone posted in another thread that they were in fact the Cindy the graffiti was intended for and that they had tragically lost the sweetheart/urban artist. She seemed quite credible to me, so I think that was a red herring. She even lists the date and cause of death of GW.

Here's a link to the post:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...0&postcount=47

For the full thread on her visit:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...40#post3910440

You probably didn't find it because it uses Cindy not Cynthia
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
1990 UM fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necco
Someone posted in another thread that they were in fact the Cindy the graffiti was intended for and that they had tragically lost the sweetheart/urban artist. She seemed quite credible to me, so I think that was a red herring. She even lists the date and cause of death of GW.

Here's a link to the post:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...0&postcount=47

For the full thread on her visit:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...40#post3910440

You probably didn't find it because it uses Cindy not Cynthia
Thanks for this. I tried "Cindy Anderson" and "Cynthia Anderson" in the search but couldn't find a big thread. That's sad what happened to this Cynthia's boyfriend. Guess we can rule out the graffiti in Cynthia Anderson's case.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #6
Necco

Heh. Maybe the search engine has its own Unsolved Mystery. You're quite welcome, everyone's google fu fails at some point.
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:57 AM   #7
1990 UM fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necco
Heh. Maybe the search engine has its own Unsolved Mystery. You're quite welcome, everyone's google fu fails at some point.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #8
1990 UM fan

I did read an interesting theory on a Websleuth article about Cindy's case. Someone said that her father "gave off bad vibes" during his interview on Unsolved Mysteries and didn't seem right. They also said that everything that had been happening to her in the weeks leading up to her disappearance were red herrings and that she engineered her own disappearance to get away from her Chrisitian family, namely her father.

Her father did seem a little weird with his words, like "she was the type of daughter you enjoyed, a beautiful young girl". That may or may not indicate some kind of physical or sexual abuse or both, but he also mentioned her becoming debutante-like and skipping meals and working on her face alot. Some victims of sexual abuse will do bizarre habits like attend to their faces more than usual and skip meals. I don't want to overinflate the possibility that she ran away but it is a likely scenario. I read another comment where they said someone had killed Cindy and put her in a storage shed but that the shed got destroyed by a hurricane and that lead ended up nowhere.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:13 AM   #9
WishfulDreamer
Forum 3K Club Member

Speaking of Websleuths, one of the posters in that thread is very odd...I am a little weirded out by what he wrote.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
Steve_uk
Suspended
Forum 4K Club Member

A few things occur to me. Cynthia had been reading a romantic novel with a violent scene which might explain her nightmares had she been reading late in bed. She might have related this to friends and the telephone calls might have been some practical joke. It could have been the boyfriend if he couldn't accept her seeing someone else,which would explain her taking more care of her appearance those past few months. I don't think the father has anything to do with it. I think Cynthia was abducted and may have been incarcerated in the basement of the house mentioned by the anonymous telephone call to the Police,before deciding he had to kill her. I think the perpetrator probably told this woman what he had done and also wrote the graffiti,so he appears casual and careless which makes me puzzled why this case is still unsolved.
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #11
1990 UM fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk
A few things occur to me. Cynthia had been reading a romantic novel with a violent scene which might explain her nightmares had she been reading late in bed. She might have related this to friends and the telephone calls might have been some practical joke. It could have been the boyfriend if he couldn't accept her seeing someone else,which would explain her taking more care of her appearance those past few months. I don't think the father has anything to do with it. I think Cynthia was abducted and may have been incarcerated in the basement of the house mentioned by the anonymous telephone call to the Police,before deciding he had to kill her. I think the perpetrator probably told this woman what he had done and also wrote the graffiti,so he appears casual and careless which makes me puzzled why this case is still unsolved.
The graffiti is not part of her case anymore. A poster in another Cindy Anderson thread said that her name is also Cindy and that the graffiti was meant for her that her boyfriend wrote for her. He died a few years later in a motorcycle accident. The poster even posted a letter from him to her in the thread.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:28 AM   #12
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

You know, I never got any bad vibes from her father. I don't know why others have. He spoke of her in a very fatherly way, not creepy at all. She was a daughter you "enjoyed"? Doesn't sound wrong to me at all unless you are looking at it through another lens and assuming he sexually abused his kids.

I don't think she left either. She had money in her bank, she showed up to work as per normal. The two lawyers who showed up at the office claim her novel was open at the only violent page in the book. We have to trust their claims 100% here because no one else can verify this.

No doubt this was an inside job. There is no forced entry. No sign of a struggle. She had to have known who the perp was. The door was locked as well. Someone had to lock the door behind them, or go out a back door, but the main thing is Cindy either let someone in there or they already had a key.

The phone call could be a hoax but you never know. Cindy worked in an environment where she easily could have overheard something she shouldn't have. She also worked in an environment that could easily cause nightmares just from hearing the stories. She was also a young 20 year old girl and it is understandable that she could have gotten scared easily from these stories.

She's dead in my opinion, probably shortly after her abduction.
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:10 AM   #13
WishfulDreamer
Forum 3K Club Member

I really, really hope the "chained in the basement" story isn't true. The thought of some guy holding her captive in a basement is just sickening to think of. I think she was abducted and sadly killed not long after her disappearance. There is NO way I will ever believe she ran off. She had a boyfriend, seemingly good family relations, and was about to go to a college with her boyfriend. No way did she put her romance novel on her desk and just leave on a whim one day without taking her car or anything else.

The first time I heard the father's comments about her acting like a "debutante" I thought it was a little odd, but now I don't think it was. Some people think it's weird that he's smiling in the interview but he just seems like a very optimistic guy to me, hopeful that his daughter did run away and that the debutante behavior being "part of the problem" may have led to her walking out from her strict, religious environment. I know I would much rather believe my kid ran away than that they were abducted and harmed.

I think the romance novel being in a violent part was just an eerie coincidence (and a very chilling one at that!). I also think it was an inside job. She had a panic button on her desk and didn't push it. I bet someone she knew came in and she set down her book and then maybe got up from her desk or in a position where she couldn't press it by the time she realized she was in danger. Didn't she disappear on her lunch break? Maybe someone she knew or someone who worked there requested her to go somewhere with them or something and that's how she got taken without signs of a struggle or anyone seeing anything.

Now we now that G.W. is unrelated, but what about the phone calls? Threats not to tell about what she potentially heard?
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
JackKerouac1989
Occasional Poster

You know as strange as it sounds I don't think there was much discussion in the other Cynthia Anderson thread about the threating phone calls even though I felt they were a key part of the segment concerning her disappearance. As I recall in the segment there was a re-enactment which showed a man at Cynthia's office filling out paper work or something when Cynthia received two phone calls in a row. During the second call Cynthia immediately hung up. The man in the room asked about them and she said it was nothing but they actually showed an interview with the man in the segment and he states that he was so concerned about Cynthia and her reaction to those calls that he notified the police about it and requested they check on her.
Whether the police actually did check up on her or not is unknown but I have a feeling they probably did not and it wasn't viewed as serious which it unfortunately it turned out to be.

I agree with most here that she was likely abducted and sadly met her end not long after that.
On another note I would like to add that the police officer in the segment who received the phone calls from the lady saying Cynthia was being held in a basement actually came across to me as one of the most caring law enforcement officials because he seemed genuinely determined to find her even going in search of her on a vague clue about the type of house she was
being held in.
I hope he finds this thread because he is someone connected to this case that could shed some light on a lot of things.
JackKerouac1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:09 PM   #15
Love A Good Mystery
Frequent Poster

Does anyone think this is the same Terri Kowalski who is interviewed in the Cindy Anderson segment? https://www.linkedin.com/in/terri-l-kowalski-b2187615
Love A Good Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote