Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman Remake for TBS; Schitt's Creek Producer Hoping to Replicate Success with Son of a Critch
Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...
Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show
Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu
Damon Wayans Jr. to Host Frogger; Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Getting All-Star Guests
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 26, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (March-July)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)

03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
08/03 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #61
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerz85
Either way, I don't think Roger knew this was coming or was somehow involved in staging this himself.
I understand why people think Roger didn't set up this robbery/extortion. But that doesn't explain Roger's odd behavior on the morning of his murder. Everyone says he was always gone by 6am, yet there he was after 7. Also, it wasn't like he was moving with purpose -- he was standing in the garage, on a cold morning, with a cup of coffee. That just doesn't make sense.

If there was a logical explanation for this, I could dismiss most of the rest of it. But this has every mark that he was waiting for someone or looking out for someone. He may not have been anticipating be robbed and/or kidnapped, but I definitely think he was waiting for someone (or looking out for someone). If he was just starting his car, he would have started it, backed it out of the garage, and gone back inside. No one hangs out in the driveway waiting for their car to warm up. (Being from a cold-weather climate, I know this well... )

If DJ had said Roger wasn't at work because he had an off-site meeting or a doctor's appointment or he wasn't feeling well, this might make sense. No one can explain why a creature of habit just happened to do something completely out of character on the morning he was killed. That part sticks with me more than anything.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #62
Love A Good Mystery
Frequent Poster

Roger was killed 34 years ago today.

What I am wondering, is in the segment, RS says cops were pretty certain the killer and letter writer were one and the same. Now, they are not so sure. I wonder why.
Love A Good Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #63
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love A Good Mystery
What I am wondering, is in the segment, RS says cops were pretty certain the killer and letter writer were one and the same. Now, they are not so sure. I wonder why.
RobinW did a good job covering this in his podcast. Originally police thought the letter writer knew things that only the killer could have known. Later on, it was determined that it probably wasn't correct as most if not all of that information was publicly available.

It also seemed like the letter writer was more concerned with inflicting terror on Roger's daughter than anything else.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:49 PM   #64
ufohealer
Occasional Poster

Roger wore glasses and right after being tide up with his glasses duct taped he used his contacts as a backup while freeing himself. To see on his escape out! He had contact case in his pockets in case the robber/partner blindfolded him w his glasses on or punched roger in the face during spur of the moment disagreement.

Did his neighbors see Roger w his glasses on in the garage??!!

It was necessary to open and keep the garage door open so later roger could sneak out while the killer was interrogating his wife! Roger had this planned as a setup. But also had a backup plan in case the suspect turned on him. Sadly he turned on roger but roger almost got away from the killer.

The hot coffee was to be used if roger made it to his car And the killer as well. He could throw the hot coffee in the killers eyes thus blinding him for many seconds. Even w a winter mask the eyes can be scolded w hot coffee. By the time the cops arrived the coffee was no longer hot. (Knowing cops they prob drank the coffee thus destroying good evidence hee hee!)

QUOTE=RedBasket;4618828]I would love an article on this case or some locals who have some inside scoop.

It is airing again and this one was very memorable. I always thought the whole contact lens/glasses thing was odd and interesting at the same time.

Why would Roger put in contacts if he usually wore glasses?[/QUOTE]
ufohealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:01 PM   #65
ufohealer
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller View Post
RobinW did a good job covering this in his podcast. Originally police thought the letter writer knew things that only the killer could have known. Later on, it was determined that it probably wasn't correct as most if not all of that information was publicly available.

It also seemed like the letter writer was more concerned with inflicting terror on Roger's daughter than anything else.
Roger should have had a gun. I say he was in cahoots w the man because he never used a gun. Since roger knew who was coming he didnt feel need to use a gun or buy one.

Maybe roger told his secretary and coWorkers that he was gonna arrive 1 hour later the next morning just because. Someone at work heard this. Like the secretary. She then went 2 work at 7 am ish as usual but her son did the killing. She had an alibi w this. Detectives in an article or on UM said the mother n son left the area after the murder. Huge red flag. Wth!!??
ufohealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #66
Love A Good Mystery
Frequent Poster

Quote:

Thanks for the info.
Love A Good Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #67
Dude111
Forum Veteran

That case was and still is very confusing!!!!!

In some cases it seems like Roger was involved and it backfired on him.......

I hope they find who did this to him!!!
Dude111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #68
Latka Gravas
Frequent Poster

Watched the Roger Dean UM segment (S04) for the first time. Wow - this is especially strange, given that it really looks like Dean was in on this supposed robbery/abduction & that it back-fired on him. I completely agree that the details of the case strongly lend credence to Dean's setting the whole thing up, i.e.:

-His glasses that were found duct-taped in another room, when he was wearing contacts at the time of his death. So, why would the killer duct-tape his glasses over his face - if he was wearing contacts?!

-His seemingly waiting for someone in his open garage the morning of the crime.

-Prior to the crime, it was noted that he took $30,000 from his work & put it in a separate account (without his wife's knowledge).

Re: the later calls that terrorized RD's wife DJ & his daughter, I don't believe these calls were from the same person that committed the crime:

https://unsolvedmysteries.fandom.com/wiki/Roger_Dean

Quote:
If there was a logical explanation for this, I could dismiss most of the rest of it. But this has every mark that he was waiting for someone or looking out for someone. He may not have been anticipating be robbed and/or kidnapped, but I definitely think he was waiting for someone (or looking out for someone). If he was just starting his car, he would have started it, backed it out of the garage, and gone back inside. No one hangs out in the driveway waiting for their car to warm up. (Being from a cold-weather climate, I know this well... )

If DJ had said Roger wasn't at work because he had an off-site meeting or a doctor's appointment or he wasn't feeling well, this might make sense. No one can explain why a creature of habit just happened to do something completely out of character on the morning he was killed. That part sticks with me more than anything.
Exactly!!
Latka Gravas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:32 AM   #69
BuffaloBill
Frequent Poster

It’s worth noting DJ past away this past Aug, at the age of 84.
BuffaloBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:07 AM   #70
rusty spike
Frequent Poster

I'm curious if Roger had a gambling debt or owed a loan shark.

This case is very baffling.
rusty spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:31 PM   #71
Kamillia
Occasional Poster

Default Solved!!!

A man by the name of Michael Jefferson was arrested following the use of genetic dna. The ski mask worn by the murderer had hairs investigators were able to use to develop a dna profile in 2003. When no hits were found in CODIS they were able to hire an investigator to develop a family tree for the suspect. No idea on the motive and the statute of limitations on the blackmail has passed. However one of the investigators who rode on a cross-country flight with Michael Jefferson listed to the threatening recordings and thinks they are the same person.
Kamillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:05 PM   #72
Dude111
Forum Veteran

Sounds like they are slowly getting there!!!!!

No statue on this so they could still get him!!
Old 04-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #73
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
This case has always been on my list of ones that I do think will be solved eventually.
At the time I wrote this, the furthest thing from my mind would be DNA evidence cracking the case. I always thought someone known to Roger killed him in an extortion attempt gone wrong and that a confession would be the thing that cracked the case. Glad to see that this one is (hopefully) getting resolved. I do find it interesting that Jefferson is being charged with kidnapping, as well as murder. If Roger hired Jefferson to stage a kidnapping, why are they charging him with that since he murdered Roger before he could stage it?! I am still leaning towards Roger not being involved in any staged kidnapping plot, and that this was a crime of opportunity. It'll be interesting to see if a connection between Roger and Jefferson is established.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:32 PM   #74
Dude111
Forum Veteran

The whole thing is very strange and its amazing something so small like a plastic bottle could help solve it!!! (Its amazing)
Old 04-13-2021, 12:52 PM   #75
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I do find it interesting that Jefferson is being charged with kidnapping, as well as murder. If Roger hired Jefferson to stage a kidnapping, why are they charging him with that since he murdered Roger before he could stage it?! I am still leaning towards Roger not being involved in any staged kidnapping plot, and that this was a crime of opportunity. It'll be interesting to see if a connection between Roger and Jefferson is established.
I wonder if it was planned to be a staged kidnapping that turned into the real thing. Of all the evidence and witness testimony that was presented on UM, I just can't get over Roger appearing to wait for someone in the garage that morning, which was totally out of character for him. It seems incredibly odd that he would do that on the very morning he was killed. I hope we'll find out the true story on all of this, including the ransom letters. If Roger wasn't involved, then I really hope we learn the full story of what went down.