Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...
Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show
Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu
Damon Wayans Jr. to Host Frogger; Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Getting All-Star Guests
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 26, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Manifest Cancellation Being Reconsidered; American Housewife Sold for Broadcast Syndication

New on DVD/Blu-ray (March-July)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)

03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
08/03 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #46
Smokescreen
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Apostapler Hey I want to believe, don't get me wrong, but even I won't say that ghosts are real without concrete evidence. No one has conclusively proven that "ghosts" are dead people or demons or hallucinations of the mind. What evidence has been collected (and I mean EVP, video, photo, infrared, etc.) is subjective in itself. And measurements like EMF and temperature are even moreso. Why? Because you can't scientifically prove what you are measuring. You can gather data, and you can make correlations and inferences, but none of this stuff conclusively proves anything
I applaud the lady from Indiana!
Smokescreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #47
SP4CE INV4DERZ
40-0 0WN3D
Forum Regular

I just happened to watch this one at random the other day and have to admit that I've changed my mind on this, which was that I thought it was one of the more believeable ghost stories UM did.

I have a problem with the timeline of aledged events. Tallman's move in April 1986, kids get sick immediately but it wasn't till a whole year later that anyone has any paramormal incidents. I guess that's why they feel it's all got to do with the bunk beds, logically that's ridicuous.

Also, I cannot remember off the top of my head how old the boy was when he saw the radio dial move by itself, I think Stack said 4? I remember thinking it was very young and it's something that I hadn't noticed before. I have a huge problem believing anything a 4 year old says.

There is something I cannot expain, as a home-owner myself, I don't have a solid answer as to why a young family would basically walk out on their home and not return. Something (in their eyes) drastic must have happened.

As I was on a bit of a ghost theme I also watched the ghost of John Harden. Does anyone know of any updates to the actual murder of John? That is one case I would really like to see solved.
SP4CE INV4DERZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #48
Smokescreen
Frequent Poster

Hey Space!

Was that the one where the dude sees his truck on fire, runs out and gets killed and then a little while later people see his ghost moseyin' around the house?

I've often wondered about that too - just wanted to know if there was like, an actual news article that said he got murdered or something

I've looked for articles in regards to the Terasita Bassa case, the one where her ghost tells people who murdered her and then this dude gets convicted
but I couldn't find anything so I don't think it's real

*Update I did find mentions of the Terasita Basa / Allan Showery case - apparently he is still in jail but it cannot be substantiated that the "ghost did it"

It's an interesting read
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1854931

I can believe that he got convicted and imprisoned, I just don't think it was due to anything supernatural

Last edited by Smokescreen; 05-19-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #49
SP4CE INV4DERZ
40-0 0WN3D
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Hey Space!

Was that the one where the dude sees his truck on fire, runs out and gets killed and then a little while later people see his ghost moseyin' around the house?

I've often wondered about that too - just wanted to know if there was like, an actual news article that said he got murdered or something

I've looked for articles in regards to the Terasita Bassa case, the one where her ghost tells people who murdered her and then this dude gets convicted
but I couldn't find anything so I really don't think it's real
Hey there,

Yeah that's the one, John Harden was gunned down whilst attending to his truck which was set on fire. This seemed to be a pre-meditated murder so you'd have to start with his ex-wife, although she did kinda tear-up a bit when talking about him.

At the end of the case, Stack mentions a number of production problems and unexplained events whilst filming, wish they would have got that on camera!
SP4CE INV4DERZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #50
Smokescreen
Frequent Poster

Originally posted by smoothvirus
Quote:
I *think* this is the house as viewed on Google Maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=43.444...,0.009645&z=17

OMG you guys, if you move in a SouthWest direction, you'll find Oak Hill Cemetery!!!

Moo HA HA HA HAAA!
Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #51
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up
Forum 3K Club Member

I haven't seen this segment in a while, but decided to have another look at it since there was some recent discussion of the subject in another thread.

Having experienced some supernatural stuff myself, and spending 14 years dealing with something that most people would call a haunting, I don't want to discount any claims from people who aren't deliberately perpetuating a hoax.

In the Tallman case, they said that the kids became ill almost immediately after moving into the home. This reminded me of a house I moved into in the early 90s. It was new, and on a very small lot in an old neighborhood. It had a swamp very close on one side and a farmer's field on the other.

The water came from a well, which was also new. However, it was only about 43 feet deep. It was about 80 feet from the swamp and 20 feet the farmer's field. The property had previously contained a barn and farm animals. The neighbors told me that they poured kerosene into the swamp every year to keep the mosquito population down. (yeah, I know... kill the mosquitoes AND poison the humans to death! good plan... )

Within days of moving in, the whole family became ill and stayed sick almost constantly for the 4 years we lived there. We filtered the well water for drinking, but didn't use a reverse osmosis system which is supposed to remove most toxins.

The weirdest symptom happened to me. For the first 2 weeks, my eyes puffed up enormously, and I mean HUGE, from showering in the well water. My upper lids looked like giant water blisters and both eyes were so swollen that they were nearly shut. They were in such bad condition that I couldn't use mascara or eye makeup. Since I'd never had this problem before, I suspected the well water. I had a company install a softener and filtration system. The eye problem went away and never came back.

Now I'm wondering if the illnesses experienced by the Tallman children could have been due to exposure to something in the house that they were allergic to or sensitive to. It could have been anything from mold to chemicals used in manufacturing the carpet. There could have been other reasons that the Tallman children could have taken ill, rather than by supernatural means.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #52
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
Now I'm wondering if the illnesses experienced by the Tallman children could have been due to exposure to something in the house that they were allergic to or sensitive to. It could have been anything from mold to chemicals used in manufacturing the carpet. There could have been other reasons that the Tallman children could have taken ill, rather than by supernatural means.
Honestly, I thought the Tallman children getting ill could simply just be written off as a coincedence and that it was a real stretch to try and tie it to supernatural activity. I think your explanation is a pretty believable one.

I've never really felt the family was deliberately perpetuating a hoax and even if the supernatural events aren't real, I'm willing to believe that something like long-term exposure to mold and chemicals or a tainted water supply could have caused them to experience terrifying hallucinations. The only thing that goes against that theory for me was when the relative had that scary vision as I'm not sure if someone who didn't live in the house fulltime would have had enough exposure to cause hallucinations.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #53
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Sorry to bump an older thread but I just rewatched this one and wanted to throw my thoughts into the discussion. I think this was some sort of "religious" or "satanic panic" that seemed to run rampant back in the 80's. I believe the children being sick has absolutely nothing to do with anything supernatural. As others have stated, there are a myriad of reasons as to why children could get sick. And if one was sick, the others could easily have become exposed to the sickness and then they in turn became sick themselves. Happened all the time to my family when I was a kid. Anyway, I do honestly think the Tallman's believed that their house was haunted. I think it's coincidental that all of these visions began to happen when one of the children's rooms were moved. I think that small event triggered something that caused the child to start having nightmares, which then began to creep into the minds of the other children who also began to have nightmares and say they were seeing things when they in fact were simply dreaming. I tend to think the pastor they contacted didn't help matters much by saying their house was plauged by something "demonic", because that's when Allen and Debbie both began to believe their house was possessed by Satan. I think with that thought in their minds anything that happened that could normally be explained rationally (the paint brush, things moving, noises being heard), were believed to be the work of the devil. The fact that Allen also seemed to be short tempered and tired (probably from working the late shift) didn't help matters much.

I also think it's possible that the whole family was experiencing hallucinations brought on by some sort of toxin either in the air or water, but I don't know why the family that moved in after the Tallman's did not experience anything. I still think it's more likely that the Tallman's were God fearing people who were scared to death by the idea that Satan really was in their house and they actually started to believe it once their pastor told them it was the truth.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #54
LiveByTheSea
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
Honestly, I thought the Tallman children getting ill could simply just be written off as a coincedence and that it was a real stretch to try and tie it to supernatural activity. I think your explanation is a pretty believable one.

I've never really felt the family was deliberately perpetuating a hoax and even if the supernatural events aren't real, I'm willing to believe that something like long-term exposure to mold and chemicals or a tainted water supply could have caused them to experience terrifying hallucinations. The only thing that goes against that theory for me was when the relative had that scary vision as I'm not sure if someone who didn't live in the house fulltime would have had enough exposure to cause hallucinations.
Perhaps the relative was religious himself and saw something he thought was the "Devil" even though he claimed to be skeptical about the whole thing? That's what I think. Although it is possible he could have been exposed to some kind of toxin while staying in the home which would explain why he saw something but it really doesn't make sense that he would start experiencing hallucinations in that short amount of time.
LiveByTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #55
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

When the relative looks up and screams in the re-enactment, that has to be the scariest 5 seconds in the history of UM!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #56
LiveByTheSea
Occasional Poster

I have to agree with you, Cars. What makes it even scarier is that we don't even see the ghost! I wonder why the relative would scream if all he saw was an old lady who glowed like fire.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #57
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveByTheSea
I have to agree with you, Cars. What makes it even scarier is that we don't even see the ghost! I wonder why the relative would scream if all he saw was an old lady who glowed like fire.
I would scream if I saw an old lady in the middle of the night, and much louder and high pitched if one was on fire.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #58
RobinW

As scary as the relative's scream is, it was preceded by one of the greatest line readings Robert Stack ever made:

"Allen's relative was a complete sceptic. That night... he changed his mind!"

I definitely agree this is the scariest ghost segment ever produced on UM simply because we never actually see any ghosts and they leave everything to the viewer's imagination.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #59
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
As scary as the relative's scream is, it was preceded by one of the greatest line readings Robert Stack ever made:

"Allen's relative was a complete sceptic. That night... he changed his mind!"

I definitely agree this is the scariest ghost segment ever produced on UM simply because we never actually see any ghosts and they leave everything to the viewer's imagination.
The segment goes from horrifying to hilarious in minutes. I always laugh when Allen goes into his little rant and starts to yell at the "entity".
Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #60
LiveByTheSea
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The segment goes from horrifying to hilarious in minutes. I always laugh when Allen goes into his little rant and starts to yell at the "entity".
That scene was absolutely hilarious.