Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce
Valerie Bertinelli to Host Food Network Series; Netflix Gets Katherine Heigl for Firefly Lane
WarnerMedia Announces HBO Max for 2020 with Friends, Fresh Prince & More; IMDb Gets First Scripted Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-23-2017, 04:52 AM   #211
Hot Jock
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguy
I'd say you are correct. The original voice over was done by Danny Dark who was the voice of NBC at the time, many older members would recognize him as the voice of Superman in the various versions of ABC's Superfriends. (his voice overs for V and V The Final Battle intros are fantastic) The same thing happened with the first season teasers for The Greatest American Hero. They were created and voiced at ABC with Ernie Anderson, so if you don't have them from original recordings you are out of luck. 2nd and 3rd season were created in house at Cannell Productions, so those still exist. My guess since it appears the disclaimer slate appears to be new on the streaming versions (not the original white text on black background) that the one we are used to seeing was NBC produced and not even on the original masters of the episodes. I didn't pull out any of my original recorded episodes to check, but the streaming version appeared to have a slightly different font.

They should have found a guy with a better voice to do the new one, he sounds kinda wimpy, as if they had no one, and pulled some guy out of a nearby office and asked, can you read this?

LOL
That's right, it was Danny Dark. His voice used to be everywhere. I remember him doing voiceovers for a lot of commercials back in the 80s. He was most definitely an NBC employee at the time of UM's run on that network so it all adds up that the intros were done by the network. So yeah, UM never owned the rights to his voice and he sadly passed away in 2004 so there was no way to ask for permission to use it now.

I agree with your thoughts on the new guy they picked to read the disclaimer. It sounds like they just sent an intern into the booth in between coffee runs or something.
Hot Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #212
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
Sooooo can someone talk me through what Amazon Prime is like? I've never used it before. Is it like Netflix? Are any of you doing the 30 day free trial first?
I would most def do the 30 day free trial first. They will likely take your credit card info, but they won't charge you until you use your 30 days. then you pay after your 30 days are up or you cancel your membership for no charge. basically you get 30 free days or 13 months for the price of 12. I think the USA amazon does a one year subscription.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #213
Jediknight1823
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna_Nicole105
It's basically the same thing as Netflix in the sense that it has streaming movies and TV shows.

Has some advantages though, comes with free two day shipping on most Amazon.com products and Streaming music as well. As for free trial, I've been a member for awhile, but it wouldn't hurt to try it out first.
That free 2 day shipping is great, and is the main reason I got Prime to begin with years ago.

They've also got Superman the Animated Series and Batman the Animated Series on streaming, which Netflix doesn't. Also, just noticed they added all 4 Indiana Jones movies and Young Indiana Jones.
Jediknight1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #214
DALLASTEXAN!!

For those outside the USA. (and this comes from an apple user) If you somehow get a USA amazon account you would be able to get amazon prime(USA) and view out of the country. It works for me in the UK, but I had the USA amazon account before I got here and still utilize the USA app store on my iphone. Someone mentioned USA gift cards. I am able to use UK and USA gift cards and change app stores. it is a little complicated, but if you are really dedicated to getting the show it's a thought...I went through this with NFL games that I watch as well.

As far as the show I have no complaints. I never had access to the old Robert Stack shows other than what I saw online over the years and memory of watching NBC/lifetime back in the day. So these episodes look and sound amazing. I do get the closing theme at the end. there were some episodes in the beginning that had different theme music at the end. and I watch these on my I phone 7 albeit with headphones, but a small screen LOL. but hey this setup works for me compared to what I had before which was my favorite "best of" DVD stuck in an old dvd player that no longer works.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #215
tornadoman140
First Time Poster

Anyone spot the Gulf Breeze UFO segment in the Season 1 Stack eps on Amazon? Didn't see it mentioned in the episode descriptions on Amazon, and haven't seen it pop up yet after getting about 1/3 of the way through watching the season.
tornadoman140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #216
tarheelslim
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguy
They should have found a guy with a better voice to do the new one, he sounds kinda wimpy, as if they had no one, and pulled some guy out of a nearby office and asked, can you read this?

LOL
If we needed more proof that the great art of the The Voice has been lost to the sands of time, this was it!

RIP to Peter Thomas, Don Pardo, etc
tarheelslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #217
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelslim
If we needed more proof that the great art of the The Voice has been lost to the sands of time, this was it!

RIP to Peter Thomas, Don Pardo, etc
Don't forget Gary Owens.

Although his voice would have been terrible for UM. He was the announcer for Laugh-In, so I've always associated his voice with comedy.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #218
JannTosh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Jock
It most certainly is. That was one of the ones I was most looking forward to seeing in this format myself. It even included an update at the end.

anyone know what it is called?

EDit: Never mind I found it. It is on the same episode with "Beale's Treasure" and looks like it is called "Amnesia Death" or some other weird name
JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #219
RobinW

I definitely appreciate that they've added brand new updates to the end of the segments, but if I have one nitpick, it's that the update to the Doreen Picard/Susan Laferte segment simply stated that Raymond Tempest was convicted of the murder and "released". I wish they'd gone into more detail and mentioned he was released because his conviction was vacated and they are still deciding whether to retry him.
RobinW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #220
JannTosh
Forum Regular

I finally got to watch some cases I have never seen before like Kari Lynn Nixon, Doreen Picard, and Patsy Wright. Also to finally see some cases in good quality and not crappy VHS rips uploaded on Youtube

I am most excited to finally watch the Son of Sam segment. I am going to watch that one on my projector with my sound system
JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #221
tarheelslim
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
I definitely appreciate that they've added brand new updates to the end of the segments, but if I have one nitpick, it's that the update to the Doreen Picard/Susan Laferte segment simply stated that Raymond Tempest was convicted of the murder and "released". I wish they'd gone into more detail and mentioned he was released because his conviction was vacated and they are still deciding whether to retry him.
I found that update confusing so I looked it up, read up on it a little bit, and ended up even more confused.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #222
coatjones
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna_Nicole105
For the record as mentioned by others, I loved and appreciated my bootleg DVD'S as well, as grainy and low sounding as they were, may even still watch them from time to time, but I was like a kid at a candy store coming home to this news last night. The quality is great as well!
Aside from having no other way to collect all of the segments in one place, the bootlegs had a certain charm to them. The tracking bars and wacky sound skips from the taping format made things extra creepy. I remember one segment had Robert Stack speaking like he was the devil himself for the first 10 seconds because it was so deep. That freaked me out! This Amazon collect of course rules the most.
coatjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #223
DarkDante

Questions & Clarifications:

- To begin with judging from some of the comments, I'm assuming aside from the clipping of tags here and there (the 1-800 # and such), the streaming content is sourced from the original NBC broadcasts rather than the Lifetime syndications? For example, they didn't remove content (aside from what I mentioned above) in order to allow room for the updates?

- In regards to the PSS: I doubt these will ever be assimilated into the catalog so to speak. CM would have to pay out to the estates of Raymond Burr and Karl Malden respectively and I'm guessing that since they have never included these segments in their original broadcast form in any form of syndication, they aren't going to be available for stream now either.

- In regards to "Gulf Breeze" and other lost/banned segments: As has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, there are a handful of segments that courted a degree of controversy back when they were originally broadcast to the point where they never reached syndication. I'm not talking about the fabled "Too Hot For Lifetime/Only Aired At 2 AM" segments but the segments that never made syndication period. "Gulf Breeze" was one of these but there were also legitimate issues with segments such as "Janet Parker O'Regan" and "Doyle Wheeler" and those are only the ones we have been made aware of! So if those segments are omitted as well, it's likely due to the knowledge we have already been made aware of.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #224
tarheelslim
Frequent Poster

Dag, I hope they don't cut Doyle Wheeler.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #225
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDante
To begin with judging from some of the comments, I'm assuming aside from the clipping of tags here and there (the 1-800 # and such), the streaming content is sourced from the original NBC broadcasts rather than the Lifetime syndications? For example, they didn't remove content (aside from what I mentioned above) in order to allow room for the updates?
As far as I know, the segments are in their original, unedited NBC forms. Everything remains, and nothing (as far as I know) was edited out from the original segments.

Quote:
In regards to the PSS: I doubt these will ever be assimilated into the catalog so to speak. CM would have to pay out to the estates of Raymond Burr and Karl Malden respectively and I'm guessing that since they have never included these segments in their original broadcast form in any form of syndication, they aren't going to be available for stream now either.
Plus, some of the segments from the specials were reworked during the Farina run, so we might get partially lucky by having them include those on the Farina episodes being uploaded.

Quote:
In regards to "Gulf Breeze" and other lost/banned segments: As has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, there are a handful of segments that courted a degree of controversy back when they were originally broadcast to the point where they never reached syndication. I'm not talking about the fabled "Too Hot For Lifetime/Only Aired At 2 AM" segments but the segments that never made syndication period. "Gulf Breeze" was one of these but there were also legitimate issues with segments such as "Janet Parker O'Regan" and "Doyle Wheeler" and those are only the ones we have been made aware of! So if those segments are omitted as well, it's likely due to the knowledge we have already been made aware of.
I agree with this. Welcome back!
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote