Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

A Different World links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / A Different World Photo Gallery

A Different World - Season 1

Buy A Different World - Season 1 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > A Different World

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce
Valerie Bertinelli to Host Food Network Series; Netflix Gets Katherine Heigl for Firefly Lane

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-01-2001, 03:25 PM   #1
ADW fan

Post interesting (or maybe not) tidbits

-One of the show's staffpeople, Susan Fales, played the part of the Mandy (the girl Ron had his eye on) in the two-part episode involving the trip to HIlton Head and the drug dealers. I believe she was the show's producer.

-What do you think the creators had in mind when they introduced the characters of Matthew and Kinu? Why were they dismissed so soon?

-Read the episode guide and you'll see many episodes in which one or more main characters did not appear. I believe Dwayne and Whitley were they only characters that appeared in every episode. When I watched, I never noticed when a certain character didn't appear.

-The actor who played Spencer, Kim's fiance, also played 3 or 4 other roles, including one of Jaleesa's dates and a fire inspector.

-Did anybody notice that Walter went from a phys ed instructor to the baseball coach to the basketball coach to the youth group coordinator?

-Here are some guest stars who either were well-known before they appeared or went on to become well-known: Patti LaBelle, Ron O'Neal, Roscoe Lee Browne, Rosalind Cash, Kim Wayans, Daman Wayans, Keenan Ivory Wayans, Roger Smith, Joe Morton, Michael DeLorenzo, Mary Alice, David Alan Grier, Troy Beyer, Kristoff St. John, Dihann Carroll, Thomas Mikal Ford, Theresa Randle, Richard Roundtree, Debbie Allen, Vanessa Bell Calloway, Alfonso Ribeiro, Blair Underwood, Halle Berry, Tisha Campbell, Whoopi Goldberg,and Robert Guillame. And I'm sure there are others.

Any other information we ADW fans may know about?

Old 02-04-2001, 08:20 AM   #2
Mossopp
asleep at the wheel

I don't wanna nit-pick but I believe that your statement that Whitley and Dwayne were in EVERY episode is false. I may be wrong, but I don't think either of them made an appearance in the last episode of Series 1, when Theo came to visit Denise for the weekend.
But if I'm wrong then please accept my humble apologies
Mossopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2001, 02:53 PM   #3
ADW fan

You're right; that was one (I think only) episode in which neither one appeared. Glad to see somebody read my post!

If you knew Dwayne & Whitely didn't appear on that one episode; I'm sure you know some other tidbits about the show. If so, share them!
Old 02-07-2001, 10:07 AM   #4
CCRYDER1968
#1 Sitcom Fan
Forum Regular

Talking

Walter was the track coach in the first season-or the assistant coach-when Denise joined the team.I only know because they just re-ran that one here recently.

I think Kinu was there as simply an outsider for the triangle.I don't think they wanted to pit a regular castmember against Whitley's character because they knew she would win in the end.

I think Matthew was supposed to bring up racial issues,but they pretty much backed off without developing it
CCRYDER1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 03:15 AM   #5
misterblowhole
Mack Zorris
Frequent Poster

For your list of well-known stars, you missed Tupac Shakur, who played a major role in an episode in the final season. It's actually one of the episodes that was originally unaired by NBC, but you can see it on syndication.
misterblowhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 01:58 AM   #6
adwfan86

Lightbulb

immature was on there too, i think

oh and i found this:
"College Kid"
gs: Billy Dee Williams [ Langston Paige ], Leslie Uggams [ Dr. Eileen Redding ], Edafe (Okurume) Blackmon [ Dion ], J. Lamont Pope [ Guy #1 ], Reginald Ballard [ Guy #2 ]
rc: Dorian, Terrell

Lena, Gina, Charmaine, Dorian and Terrell decide to rent a house together. While seeing the temperamental landlord about a plumbing problem, Gina, Charmaine and Terrell discover that he is Langston "Sweet Knuckles" Paige, a former major league baseball star. He is unsure about what to do with his life, so they encourage him to enroll in college. Langston accompanies Terrell to class to check out the Hillman campus. He finds that the professor is an old flame. Gina's abusive ex-boyfriend Dion violates his probation by contacting her. He finally shows up in person in an attempt to win her back. She repeatedly turns him down, and learns that Dion hasn't really changed at all. Langston steps in and manages to convince Dion to leave Gina alone.

NOTE: Jasmine Guy, Kadeem Hardison, Darryl M. Bell, Cree Summer, Charnele Brown, Lou Myers and Glynn Turman do not appear in this episode.

heres the link:http://epguides.com/DifferentWorld/season6.shtml
Old 10-10-2003, 11:47 AM   #7
Micks
First Time Poster

Kris Kross and Jermaine Dupri also appeared on "The Original Teacher" Episode from the last season.
Micks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 01:29 AM   #8
felicitylen
Keep Austin WEIRD

Quote:
Originally posted by CCRYDER1968
I think Matthew was supposed to bring up racial issues,but they pretty much backed off without developing it
\

Didn't they develope it more because at one point Matthew and Kim did date and then some racial issues were brought up about that. They later on broke up because he got into some school for the deaf (i think) and I forgot what she decided to do but either way they pretty much went their separate ways. I think that's what ended up happening.
felicitylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:31 PM   #9
marvin g

Let's not forget Bumper Robinson was added later as a good christian. And one of Jamie Fox's sidekicks from his show did walk ons, I think his name is Sule McCollough.
marvin g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 01:04 PM   #10
Dr. Jazz
The Evil Empire. . . .
Forum Veteran

As far as guest stars go - you forgot the Rev. Jesse Jackson and Phylicia Rashad as Clair Huxtable.
Dr. Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:48 PM   #11
vashti1999
NY METS - #1
Forum Veteran

Aries Spears, now on Mad TV was on an episode.
vashti1999 is offline   Reply With Quote