Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Green Acres links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Green Acres Photo Gallery

Green Acres - The Complete First Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete First Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Second Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Third Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Third Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Green Acres

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce
Valerie Bertinelli to Host Food Network Series; Netflix Gets Katherine Heigl for Firefly Lane
WarnerMedia Announces HBO Max for 2020 with Friends, Fresh Prince & More; IMDb Gets First Scripted Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-06-2002, 06:14 AM   #16
Eustus Haney
Occasional Poster

Default Same Hooterville

Well, both had a "Drucker's General Store", a kid named Eb Dawson hanging around, a Shady Rest Motel, and Fred Ziffel with his arm in the pickel barrel.

I would say that would be the same spot.
Eustus Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 01:03 AM   #17
bigj
Occasional Poster

I was watching an old episode of BH this morning, ( It was one of the 1st episodes when they 1st moved from "wherever" to Beverly Hills). As Mr. Brewster & the "Wildcatter" that Elly Mae had earlier beaned with a rock, hovered above the swamp in a helicopter, they made reference to the fact that this would be the richest oil strike in "eastern Texas"! Do the Ozarks extend to E. Texas???

Jim
bigj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 07:04 AM   #18
Eustus Haney
Occasional Poster

No, they don't.
Eustus Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:22 PM   #19
W.J. Griffin
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by bigj
I was watching an old episode of BH this morning, ( It was one of the 1st episodes when they 1st moved from "wherever" to Beverly Hills). As Mr. Brewster & the "Wildcatter" that Elly Mae had earlier beaned with a rock, hovered above the swamp in a helicopter, they made reference to the fact that this would be the richest oil strike in "eastern Texas"! Do the Ozarks extend to E. Texas???

Jim
Actually, the line was"This will be the biggest oil strike *since* easter Texas".

As for the location of Hooterville, presumably it's within traveling distance of Bug Tussle, which could be anywhere from the Smokies of Tenneesee to central Arkansas...they never really pinpointed where these towns and hamlets were located, and, really, if they did pinpoint the location it wolud take all the fun out of trying to figure out where it is. This is done so all the viewers could identify with the characters without those troubling regional prejudices popping up.

But as for my two bucks (inflation, don't you know), I'd say Hooterville is somewhere near the Moussouri-Arkansas border...
W.J. Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 07:12 PM   #20
Sir Rhosis
Occasional Poster

On one of the eps (or maybe the reunion movie), the ZIP Code was given as 417?? and 1/2 (the last two should be read as "one half"). It may have been 407etc., but anyway, ZIPs beginning with 417/407/etc. are in Kentucky. My own ZIP growing up was something like 41749. I live in northern KY, and have a 41007 ZIP.

Closest thing to a real identifiable location I've heard, though there is no such thing as a "one half" at the end of any ZIP, and it doesn't agree with "The Beverly Hillbillies" who were definitely from the Ozarks, most likely Missouri.

Sir Rhosis

--Don Henley
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:14 PM   #21
marvin g

I always took it to be in the Tennessee, Missouri, Kentucky area.
marvin g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:32 AM   #22
Movieguy
Occasional Poster

In the episode "How to get from Hooterville to Pixley without moving" Sam Drucker says Hooterville's Zip code is "Three."

In the book THE HOOTERVILLE HANDBOOK, A Viewer's Guide to Green Acres, Jay Sommers is quoted as saying "Hooterville is a state of mind," and not located in any specific geographical state.

The Beverly Hillbillies weren't located in a specific state either, although Granny always had a soft spot for Tennessee. The Hillbillies always just said they were from "the hills" or "back home." But Hooterville was somewhere near there.

As for "the kangaroo state," there is no state with that mascot (and no state with the "state flower" being the ragweed, either!)
Movieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 03:21 AM   #23
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

I now know it was probably in Illonois, because I saw the first episode on TV LAND, and Oliver was leaving for Chicago in one scene (the Douglases were still in New York at this point). After he got back, he told Lisa that he had stopped to look at a farm in Hottervile. She asked him if that's close to Chicago, and Oliver said something like "Well, nearby".

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:20 PM   #24
Movieguy
Occasional Poster

Well sort of. She says "Is it near Chicago?" and he says, "Yeah, kind of....you just have to change planes twice, take a bus over to Pixley, then you get on this little train and... there you are." Or something to that effect. So with that description, it could be several states away!
Movieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:12 PM   #25
TV Guy

I've also read that quote from Jay Sommers about Hooterville being a state of mind. But when it comes down to it Jay Sommers didn't create Hooterville -- executive producer Paul Henning did as the setting for "Petticoat Junction". "Acres" was Sommers' creation, but was located in Hooterville for crossover purposes with "PJ". Henning has said that the hotel on "PJ" was inspired by his grandmother's hotel in Missouri, where he often visited as a child.

But ultimately, I think the Hooterville on "Green Acres" is in an alternate reality from the one on "Petticoat Junction". After all, on "PJ", Kate Bradley is said to be a distant cousin of Pearl Bodine, the mother of Jethro on "The Beverly Hillbillies" (Bea Benederet played both roles). And characters from the "Hillbillies", as well as "Green Acres", have visited "PJ". But while characters from "PJ" turned up on "Green Acres", no one from "Beverly Hillbillies" did. Instead, the "Green Acres" characters knew that "Hillbillies" was a TV show, and they once even put on a play that was based on their favorite TV show..."The Bevery Hillbillies"!
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:02 PM   #26
hazelfanatic
Frequent Poster

Default Where could it be?

On the Christmas episode the other day people were wearing lightweight jackets (except for Lisa who had on a sleeveless dress.) Oliver wanted it to snow, so Lisa said, "Snow" and it did. Oliver looks out the window and asks how it could possibly snow when it was 81 degrees outside. So I thought it must be somewhere warm like California, BUT an episode a couple of days ago showed where the temperature dropped below freezing and everyone was bringing in their tomato plants. Most of the time everyone has on summer looking clothes though.
hazelfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 01:11 PM   #27
bry
Forum Regular

i recall chicago being mentioned. and it was a four hour flight form chicago. if the flight was in one of those god awful crop dusters, four hours could have been a couple hours drive if that far, i would imagine.
but for all the characters of hooterville and bugtussle to know each other so well, they would have to be close by. "the hills" as jed called it would be a southern state as granny was a conferate. appalachain or ozarks???? i will go with near tennessee.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:46 PM   #28
lyron
Occasional Poster

I know it's a very nebulous issue, since there really isn't an answer, but I had a theory that it was Iowa, but I have no evidence whatsoever.

> In one of the episodes they are aked what state they are from. Oliver answers "The Kangaroo State".

Is this the one where Oliver says that the state's theme song is "Yes, we have no bananas"?

B
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:27 PM   #29
Miss Lisa

I don't even think that Hooterville is even in a real state.

And the episode that he says the theme song is "Yes, we have no bananas" is the episode were Lisa's mother is coming to Hooterville and they ask Oliver if her country has a national anthem.
Miss Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:18 AM   #30
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

I would think it was in Misouri, since that's where the creator was from and got his inspiration for the Hillbillies.
comedyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote