Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Green Acres links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Green Acres Photo Gallery

Green Acres - The Complete First Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete First Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Second Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Third Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Third Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Green Acres

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce
Valerie Bertinelli to Host Food Network Series; Netflix Gets Katherine Heigl for Firefly Lane

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-21-2001, 08:33 PM   #1
Jimbo
Forum Regular

Post The Original Mrs. Ziffel

Barbara Pepper played the role of "Doris Ziffel" for most of the program's run, however, during the first few episodes of "Green Acres", the role was played by a different actress. Can anyone tell me the name of this other lady? What was the reason for the change?
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 09:08 PM   #2
NAN ELIZABETH
Frequent Poster

Jimbo: Barbara Pepper, who was the original Doris Ziffel, died on July 18, 1969, the same day as the Chappaquiddick accident. She was in her 50's and had heart failure. She was replaced by Fran Ryan for the remainder of the show.
NAN ELIZABETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 10:19 PM   #3
Jimbo
Forum Regular

Nan Elizabeth: You're right! After I posted my question, I looked it up in "The Great TV Sitcom Book" (I guess I should have checked there first!). I only recall seeing Fran Ryan in a few episodes, so I assumed she played the part during the early days of "Green Acres" (you know what happens "when you assume!"). Thanks correcting me on that point.

(BTW, the book I mentioned above is a great resource for sitcom fans. I bought it about 15 years ago. If there is an updated version available, it's defintely worth purchasing)>
Old 11-23-2001, 10:22 PM   #4
Jimbo
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by NAN ELIZABETH:
Jimbo: Barbara Pepper, who was the original Doris Ziffel, died on July 18, 1969, the same day as the Chappaquiddick accident. She was in her 50's and had heart failure. She was replaced by Fran Ryan for the remainder of the show.
If I'm not mistaken, this is also the same day that Neil Armstrong became the first person to set foot on the Moon. I still have a copy of The Philadelphia Inquirer from that date (it's safely packed away), and remember seeing a small article on the front page about Chappaquiddick.
Old 11-26-2001, 08:55 PM   #5
Nanlisa1957

Are any of you guys aware that Barbara Pepper appeared as a nurse in the "I LOVE LUCY" episode where Lucy gives birth to Little Ricky? Can you imagine?: Lucy Ricardo meets Doris Ziffel?
Old 12-03-2001, 08:25 AM   #6
Jimbo
Forum Regular

I knew that Barbara Pepper and Lucy were close friends off-screen, and that Barbara appears in a number of "I Love Lucy" episodes. I did not realize, however, that she played the role of the nurse in that particular episode.

I just had a thought: Wouldn't have been great if they had done a "crossover" episode where Lucy, in her "Lucy Carmichael" role, visited Hooterville on a Green Acres episode? Think of the possibilities!
Old 05-11-2002, 11:21 PM   #7
baronzzz
Frequent Poster

Barbara Pepper also appeared in other I Love Lucy episodes: 1, She was one of the customers in the butcher store when Lucy was trying to sell the beef (the freezer episode) and 2, she was on the tour bus of the movie stars homes during their stay in Hollywood. Loved her--she was definitely one of my favorites in Green Acres too.
baronzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 06:07 PM   #8
NAN ELIZABETH
Frequent Poster

Jimbo: Neil Armstrong first set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969, two days after the Chappaquiddick incident.
NAN ELIZABETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 11:26 PM   #9
wayman
Frequent Poster

I was looking on imdb.com under Barbara Pepper's profile and I noticed she portrayed Doris Ziffel on 3 episodes of "Petticoat Junction" in 1964, a year before "Green Acres" premiered. Also, Hank Patterson, who played her husband Fred Ziffel, was a regular on "Petticoat Junction" from 1963 - 1966.

Last edited by wayman; 01-25-2004 at 03:57 PM.
wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:45 AM   #10
Javern
Occasional Poster

Barbara Pepper was a beautiful model-like woman at one time, it is said ever since her husband died in a motorcycle accident she never could get over it and went into depression and let herself go, chain smoking and drinking heavily, thus causing an early death.
Javern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:07 PM   #11
NNDman
Occasional Poster

At some point during the series' run, you'd see Fred and Arnold but no Mrs. Ziffel. This happened for several episodes. when Mrs. Pepper returned you could tell she was recovering from an illness. She played that role wonderfully.
NNDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
tlc38tlc38
Every dayís a Dolly day!
Forum Veteran

Doris Ziffel was one of my favorite characters on GA but I really only liked her when Barbara Pepper played her. She brought a lot to the character.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:17 PM   #13
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38
Doris Ziffel was one of my favorite characters on GA but I really only liked her when Barbara Pepper played her. She brought a lot to the character.

I loved her too!!! She and Lucille Ball were good friends and Barbara made a few appearances on I love Lucy!!!

Here she was in her younger days!! WOW, she really was pretty!!!

Last edited by Bonniegirl; 04-04-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #14
PracTz

The sad thing is that her alcoholism got so out of control that evidently was why she was let go as Mrs. Ziffel before her death AND even back in the early 1950's, it was already bad enough for Lucy not to want to pin too much on her friend so that's why she sadly but firmly ruled out on Miss Pepper playing Ethel but opted on her playing one-shot bit characters over the years in ILL.
I wonder how her sons turned out between their father's fatal accident and their mother's self-destruction?
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote