Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

getTV Acquires The Rockford Files, Here Come the Brides; Disney's Secrets of Sulphur Springs Premieres Jan. 14
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 6, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Kevin Can F*** Himself and Pen15 Cancelled; The Waltons' Homecoming Brings Ratings High to The CW
Fri-Yay: Itís Always Sunny Returns, Bold and Funny as Ever; Jon Stewart Joins Live in Front of a Studio Audience for The Facts of Life; Remembering Eddie Mekka of Laverne & Shirley
Rewind TV January 2022 Schedule Includes Drew Carey, NewsRadio; HBO's Somebody Somewhere Premieres Jan. 16
Live in Front of a Studio Audience Announces Cast of The Facts of Life; Disney Television Orders Marsai Martin Produced Comedy
Antenna TV January 2022 Schedule and Q1 2022 Stunts; Chucky Gets 2nd Season on Syfy & USA

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October-December)

Maude - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Mom - The Eighth and Final Season Punky Brewster (1984-88) - The Complete Series (2021 Release) I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

10/19 - Maude - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
11/02 - The Honeymooners Specials - A Christmas Carol
11/02 - Mom - The Eighth and Final Season
11/02 - Punky Brewster - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
11/02 - Sex and the City - The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
11/09 - Saved by the Bell (2020) - Season One
11/09 - Younger - The Complete Series
11/16 - Kevin Can F*** Himself - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
11/23 - Dead Pixels - Seasons One and Two
11/30 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) (2021 Release) (Blu-ray)
12/07 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
12/07 - Rick & Morty - Season 5 (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray Limited Edition Steelbook)
12/14 - The Abbott and Costello Show - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
12/14 - Letterkenny - Season 9
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #331
Kiki88
Occasional Poster

I wasn't able to find a bar called "Kunkles" or "Cunkels" or anything of that name on Main street in Edmore, ND where Kenneth Engy (Nygaard?) and Curtis Heck had their initial non-Muhammad Ali fist fight. Edmore is literally a blink-and-you-miss-it sized town, and there are two bars on Main Street. Neither one look like what appears to be a very old, 2 story building that was featured in the segment. They are both barn looking buildings with tiny windows.

The first image is a bar that appears to be called Beer-30. To the right of the building across the street is image #2, Nygaard's Body Shop (Engy's uncle in the segment was Richard Nygaard, this may be a family business which still might be in operation). In image #2 of the body shop to the left you can see the Beer-30 bar, the building with the green roof. Image #3 is across the street from Beer-30, a bar called Double Deuce. I don't know if either of these places used to be Kunkles or Cunkles but the town is so small it may have been closed or sold since then. I couldn't find a building resembling the one in the segment and it could have been torn down. Most of the buildings on Main street appear to be very old and in a state of disrepair.
Attached Images

Kiki88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #332
Kiki88
Occasional Poster

This is the store that, according to a news clip I saw, used to be the Chandler, OK Wal Mart where Beverly Noe claims to have dropped off Wendy Camp, Cynthia Britto and Lisa Kregear in 1992. We know for sure now that this never happened, but it is located right on the old, 2-lane highway Beverly says she took back to OK City, Old. Route 66. Atwoods is some type of farm equipment store.
Attached Images

Kiki88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #333
Charlie99909
El Sicko
Frequent Poster

So I'm from the north Bay Area. Growing up we've all heard the stories about Zodiac, whether it was grandparents, friends, or kids telling a tale. It wasn't until recently I figured on going to the actual murder sites. "Why not, they're close enough?" I thought.

Washington and Cherry in SF was just a standard 4 way stop in a very rich part of the city. No big deal.

Then... I went to Lake Herman Road.

That is a creepy place. To even go there we the sun sets, you start to feel a foreboding almost suffocating feeling. It's in the middle of nowhere now, but I couldn't imagine how desolate it was in the late 60's. Then, when you get to the spot, there is a giant NO TRESPASSING sign. It wasn't so creepy until you notice someone spray painted the Zodiac crosshairs on it.
Attached Images

Charlie99909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #334
Charlie99909
El Sicko
Frequent Poster

Lake Herman Road
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #335
brianh333
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
Brian, your researching skills seem to be better than mine. So maybe you can help me find Lydia Henry's little apartment in San Francisco, where Sal Guardado killed Sally Garrity.
Wow, that is high praise coming from - who I consider to be - the 'godfather' of this thread, and I do appreciate it. I'm afraid my research skills aren't "all that" - a couple of these I just lucked into, and of course you were nice enough to leave some of us a little of your scraps

I can't find anything on the Sal Guardado / Sally Garrity case (and I only vaguely remember it from the show - I think that was the 'bowling ball' one?). I've tried Googling all sorts of combinations of the words Guardado Garrity Lydia Shipley as a start, and I got nothin'. You're much closer to solving that one than I'll likely ever be.

While we're throwing out ideas, any clue where the Gail Delano Howard Johnson's restaurant was? I thought I was on to something when I stumbled onto this 1988 article about the woman who played Gail in the reenactment.

I contacted the guy who wrote the article (he's now retired and still lives in the area, and blogs a time or two a week). I asked if he could help me pinpoint the address (since HoJo's restaurants are all but out of business, I was curious if the "building" was at least still there). His reply was basically "can't help ya, now get off my lawn".

If I had to name my "one" that I've spent more hours trying to locate than any other, that would be it.
The above post was about unsolved mysteries. Whenever possible, the actual author (not a police official) has participated in re-creating the events. What you just got done reading was NOT a news broadcast.
brianh333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #336
Charlie99909
El Sicko
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
"Charlie's Corner" (Charles Scheel, the news vendor) at 10th & K St, Sacramento:

Just drove by an hour ago. The pillar where it appears to have the plaque for Charlie, has been remodeled and is not sporting a plaque. I wonder if the city, or building owner removed it. Maybe I'll enquired with the city what happened to it. Also, anyone know where Charlie lived? There's a lot of those live in hotels within a few blocks from 10th and K, perhaps he lived somewhere there.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #337
Love A Good Mystery
Frequent Poster

[QUOTE=brianh333]
While we're throwing out ideas, any clue where the Gail Delano Howard Johnson's restaurant was? I thought I was on to something when I stumbled onto this 1988 article about the woman who played Gail in the reenactment. [END QUOTE=brianh333]

I am pretty positive the Howard Johnson's in Brunswick, Maine was along Route 1, which is also known as Pleasant Street in that municipality. The Howard Johnson's would have been near the intersection of Church Road. I am also pretty positive a McDonald's is at that site now.
Love A Good Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #338
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

I tried finding that Howard Johnson's a few years ago, using that article as a guide. But snooping around the area, I couldn't find anything that resembled what we saw in the segment. Even the surrounding buildings looked different so I assumed it was either torn down or I was just looking at the wrong area.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #339
Love A Good Mystery
Frequent Poster

Perhaps the HoJo's was torn down and McDonald's that's now there put in its own building and/or landscaping? Maybe UM didn't film at the actual site that Gail was at?

Just some thoughts to add to my original post about the HoJo's location ... its been a long time since I have seen this segment.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #340
brianh333
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love A Good Mystery
Maybe UM didn't film at the actual site that Gail was at?
At least per that 1988 newspaper column linked above, they filmed over four days at four locations: the Delano house, the Howard Johnson's, the Miss Portland diner, and on the seashore.
brianh333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #341
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

KARI LYNN NIXON:

The Nixon home on Palmer Street in Au Sable Forks, NY.

The little market where Kari bought milk, soda and a bag of chips for her father around 9:45 p.m. It's called Home Town Deli & Bakery today.

An overhead shot to show the distance between the store and the Nixon home which looks about 2 blocks.

This last photo is a guess on my part of the spot where Robert Jones abducted Kari at gunpoint. It happened 700 feet from her home on Palmer Street which would be approximately a little over a block. If this isn't the spot, it's very close to it.

Kari was abducted towards the beginning of Summer in 1987. Normally neighbors would be sitting on their front porches during the evening hours but this particularly night was unseasonably cold so everyone was inside and as such nobody witnessed the abduction. Almost makes you wonder if things would have been different had the weather been warmer.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #342
Love A Good Mystery
Frequent Poster

[QUOTE=Love A Good Mystery]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh333
While we're throwing out ideas, any clue where the Gail Delano Howard Johnson's restaurant was? I thought I was on to something when I stumbled onto this 1988 article about the woman who played Gail in the reenactment. [END QUOTE=brianh333]

I am pretty positive the Howard Johnson's in Brunswick, Maine was along Route 1, which is also known as Pleasant Street in that municipality. The Howard Johnson's would have been near the intersection of Church Road. I am also pretty positive a McDonald's is at that site now.
Bumping for curiosity's sake: can anyone find a picture of the Brunswick Maine intersection of Route 1 (aka Pleasant Street) and Church Road? I'm all but certain that's where Gail Delano told folks she was meeting her date that day. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #343
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Here's the McDonald's near the intersection.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #344
MegtheEgg86
Forum 4K Club Member

STEVE WILSON:

Cabin Bar Ranch near Olancha, CA owned by victim Bill Thornburgh at the time of his 1979 murder, and Folsom Lake Bowl in Folsom, CA, where Steve Wilson cut through the roof of a delivery truck he slipped in order to escape from Folsom Prison in 1984.
Attached Images

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #345
Love A Good Mystery
Frequent Poster

Thanks for posting the pics from Maine!