Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #61
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistaircranium View Post
The only people who still watch broadcast networks religiously are the old farts who watch those insipid CBS procedurals.
"Old farts"... as in anyone over 18?

Seriously, how immature are you? Grow up.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #62
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
The show's segments were very effective in saying a lot in 12 to 15 minutes.
Except we know with the benefit of 20+ years of hindsight that this isn't true. That they left out or skewed a lot of details to fit a narrative into an allotted amount of time.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #63
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew790 View Post
Except we know with the benefit of 20+ years of hindsight that this isn't true. That they left out or skewed a lot of details to fit a narrative into an allotted amount of time.
Even so, it doesn't justify limiting the number of cases to one per episode.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #64
Jon
Forum Regular

IIRC there are shows on Netflix that run under 25 minutes. I'd guess the initial season will be twelve one-segment 20-25 minute episodes, and subject to reception/viewership they'll release seasons later with 2X as many episodes or more.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #65
yellowVWchase
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enid Coleslaw View Post
Hmm... not sure about this. I'm worried they'll make it like one of those cheap, crappy shows on C&I...

I think a character actor who is known for creepy roles would be a good host, though. Someone like Steve Buscemi, Willem Dafoe, Tom Noonan or Clint Howard.
Tom Noonan would be great, but I doubt they would offer it and I doubt he would be interested in taking it.

James Elroy hosted a show on cable a while back, and he was fairly good. But he's not a household name/face.

If Jerry Orbach were still alive, I would love to see him do it; he has a fantastic stage voice that can go from warm to downright ominous.
yellowVWchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #66
EighthStreet
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaun View Post
Jonathan Frakes might be good
You know, Tim Russ from Voyager could be a good choice.
EighthStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:08 AM   #67
Labonte18
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDAWG View Post

My pick to host is Stacey Keach.
I swear, I just had to look this up.. I thought he was dead.

Quote:
Nothing and no one will ever touch what Robert Stack did.
he *IS* dead, so.. Nothing's going to bring the 80's version back. Personally, I don't get all the hate for the Spike version, other than the fact that they didn't shoot any new episodes. Farina.. He had a tough act to follow, and I think he did a fine job. no matter who was put in there, and no matter who goes in now.. Comparisons to Stack will abound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthStreet View Post
You know, Tim Russ from Voyager could be a good choice.
Lord.. Are we going through all the Star Trek actors? John deLancie?

The host, if they use one, is very important. I mean, Joe Pesci is a great actor, but.. Put him in there? Well, that'd make one hell of an SNL skit, I think. But not a great run of UM. "After robbin' da bank, dese two a-holes hop into a car.."

Assuming they use an on-air host.. Whoever it is needs to have a distinguishable voice. And a lack of a regional accent. No Boston/New York.. No THICK southern drawl.. Some off the wall names.. James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman, though they're probably too expensive.. And if it's just off-screen voice work.. Peter Cullen. He certainly has the 80's nostalgia..
Labonte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:50 AM   #68
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

he *IS* dead, so.. Nothing's going to bring the 80's version back.
Which is what I've been saying across the whole thread, including the next sentence that you cut off. "If I go into it expecting to watch a lost episode of the NBC era I'm going to be disappointed. "

The problem with the Farina era was not Farina.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:52 AM   #69
isotope
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Assuming they use an on-air host.. Whoever it is needs to have a distinguishable voice. And a lack of a regional accent.
Christopher Walken would be my dream pick.

VERY excited about this. There is huge interest in unsolved crimes (there's a reason the original UM ran for so many years) and I cannot imagine this show would be too expensive to produce - if streaming numbers are solid for the first season, I see Netflix commissioning dozens of further episodes....who knows, we may eventually get to the truth about Resurrection Mary!
isotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:57 AM   #70
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotope View Post
Christopher Walken would be my dream pick.

VERY excited about this. There is huge interest in unsolved crimes (there's a reason the original UM ran for so many years) and I cannot imagine this show would be too expensive to produce - if streaming numbers are solid for the first season, I see Netflix commissioning dozens of further episodes....who knows, we may eventually get to the truth about Resurrection Mary!
I guess it can be taken as an indicator of the success of Filmrise's release of the classic series as well, we don't get a whole lot in the way of streaming numbers and even less so for rerun series but there's no way this got picked up to series if they weren't doing well on Prime or the Filmrise app.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #71
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Am I the only one who likes the concept of one case per episode? That way UM cannot afford to cut additional information out of cases to fit a 12 minute time frame. The more information presented, the better. Also excited that the guys behind Stranger Things are producing this. I definitely think this will be a cool throwback to the original version with Stack.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #72
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
Am I the only one who likes the concept of one case per episode? That way UM cannot afford to cut additional information out of cases to fit a 12 minute time frame. The more information presented, the better. Also excited that the guys behind Stranger Things are producing this. I definitely think this will be a cool throwback to the original version with Stack.
I prefer smaller segments but I'm not opposed to 1 case per episode either. Until it's an hour of a Lost Love case, then I'll toss something
Old 01-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #73
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
I prefer smaller segments but I'm not opposed to 1 case per episode either. Until it's an hour of a Lost Love case, then I'll toss something
I don't see how they would be able to stretch a lost love case to an hour, especially this day in age with technology helping reunite people more than ever before.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #74
Labonte18
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
It can go either way. I certainly agree that on some cases, they needed more time than they had available.. Of course.. We can also look at "Final Appeal" as for how things went with one case for an hour. True that is something of an apples-to-oranges situation, but..

Some of them.. I think "mothman" was one that went 2 breaks? Ugh.. I certainly hope they avoid the truly outlandish things like that. Some of that style (Unsolved Phenomenon) case would be OK.. I mean, the Taos Hum and Marfa Lights cases at least had some proof that they actually existed. Nazca Lines was another good one. But stay away from the monster of the week type stuff.
Labonte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #75
DALLASTEXAN!!

I think the one episode format can be successful. Like it or not the old format did not last the test of time in regards to gaining and keeping viewers. there were too many poor quality segments and in turn the show did not age well. Viewers like myself and many others obviously remained loyal, but even the loyal viewers have all complained about this on here. I think taking one good story and making it high quality is important. In some ways UM were already doing this with their final appeal format as Labonte18 mentioned. I also look back at some of the 20-30 minute segments like Audrey Moate, Rudolph Hess, Huey Long etc. those were high quality and went into more depth than the shorter ones. I enjoy those.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote