Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #16
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuenSolen
I just find it hard to believe that if it was suicide he: 1. Had shown no outward signs of being depressed or unhappy.
Yes. I think this is one of the biggest--if not THE biggest--piece of information that points away from suicide.

Suicidal individuals WILL indicate what they're planning to do long before they actually follow through with it. Maybe not everyone in that person's life will observe any unusual behaviors, but those closest to the individual in question almost certainly will. By all accounts, O'Mara was close to his wife and family. Every member of that family--and some outside the family--were bewildered that suicide was even a possibility. As recounted, he had absolutely none of the largest risk factors in his life: no financial problems, no terminal illness, no feelings of worthlessness, no mental illness, not even a "high risk lifestyle" and the accompanying drug/alcohol abuse, criminal involvement, sexual promiscuity, and other such high-risk activities. More than one person cited O'Mara's deeply-held religious belief that suicide is a grave sin, and such religio-cultural beliefs are actually a protective factor against suicide, along with strong family support and strong problem-solving skills, which wouldn't be unthinkable to observe in a police officer of O'Mara's apparent caliber.

http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePreventio...vefactors.html

The fact of the matter is that is it ridiculous to assert that O'Mara--or ANYONE, for that matter--committed suicide when there is absolutely no clinical evidence to support that conclusion. Rather, it's adopting a theory, for whatever reason, and conjuring up ideas, what-ifs, and notions that support that predetermined conclusion. You might as well say that man died of congestive heart failure. Both conclusions have about the same amount of supporting evidence.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #17
WishfulDreamer

I have never thought this case was a suicide. I'll post more later but I have time to write on one piece that bothers me about the theory. LE believes that O'Mara told his wife he was going to pick up frozen yogurt for the family just as a ruse to leave the house and make it seem like a murder occurred while he was out, setting the stage if you will. I have always thought that this theory holds no water. If he wanted to kill himself for insurance benefits or in order to have his family not be upset that he killed himself, I think that would have been the WORST way to go about it. He borrowed pocket money from the wife to buy the frozen yogurt and clearly his family was expecting him back- that would make it all the more devastating to his family, because they would believe he was killed running a brief errand. Also, where is the evidence that this was a lie and he was planning to kill himself the whole time? I really feel LE jumped to conclusions on this one. We have no evidence whatsoever to indicate that he was suicidal and that his wounds were self-inflicted. Powder burns on his hands mean he fired the weapon- but it has never been proven just who he fired at.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

O'Mara's wife would have received the pension benefits if his cause of death was declared a homicide. Since it was ruled "suicide", it took her awhile to collect his benefits. This is why I think O'Mara shot himself in such an odd way, to make it appear that he was investigating something and to make his death look like a murder. His briefcase was not touched, his wallet was undisturbed, and his gun had fired one shot. There was no evidence of any struggle at the scene, and IIRC, the investigator interviewed said there was no evidence of anyone other than O'Mara being at the scene at the time of his shooting. I just don't think the evidence for murder is there. Somebody wanted a cop relegated to desk duty dead for things he did 20+ years ago? Why not kill him when he was in his prime? And why the remote location (frequented by police officers)? What would have spooked a guy (who admittedly did not like guns) into grabbing his gun to go investigate at a police filling station? And who would have known that O'Mara was going to be at that filling station at the time of his murder? Considering that the cop who found his body showed up "minutes" after he radioed the dispatcher that he was in service, the likelihood of a murderer intercepting O'Mara and getting away is IMO highly unlikely.

EDIT: There was also an eye/ear witness who saw a "dark car" pull into the service station and then shortly after heard one single gunshot. O'Mara's gun was fired once, and there were powder burns on his hands. So if there was one gunshot heard, how exactly was O'Mara murdered? Did his killer/s hold his hands and aim the gun at his head? I'm not an expert on firearms, so I might be wrong, but if O'Mara simply fired his weapon with one hand (presumeably at an assailaint if you believe the murder theory), then there shouldn't be powder burns on both hands. But if he held the gun with boths hands away from his forehead, this would explain the powder burns on both hands.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
O'Mara's wife would have received the pension benefits if his cause of death was declared a homicide. Since it was ruled "suicide", it took her awhile to collect his benefits.
Pension benefits from Cook County? I'm confused on what you mean. It's unusual for retired police officers to receive large pensions, and they often start second careers. Look at the way they're paid when they're working full-time, after all.

Barbara O'Mara actually sued the insurance company because it refused to pay. One would reasonably assume one or both of them had to be aware of the provisions of the double-indemnity rider--especially the one who allegedly intended his wife to receive the benefits upon his death!

Quote:
This is why I think O'Mara shot himself in such an odd way, to make it appear that he was investigating something and to make his death look like a murder. His briefcase was not touched, his wallet was undisturbed, and his gun had fired one shot. There was no evidence of any struggle at the scene, and IIRC, the investigator interviewed said there was no evidence of anyone other than O'Mara being at the scene at the time of his shooting.
About that investigator: he's interesting folk. You can read more about him in the articles I previously posted.

It's been more than once that someone has been murdered and their belongings have been left untouched and intact. Again, the lone fact that one round was missing from his magazine is not evidence that he killed himself, no matter how badly one wants it to be.

Quote:
I just don't think the evidence for murder is there. Somebody wanted a cop relegated to desk duty dead for things he did 20+ years ago? Why not kill him when he was in his prime? And why the remote location (frequented by police officers)?
I would check out some resources on some elements of the Cook County Sheriff's Police and of the Chicago PD, and their interesting co-mingling with organized crime, mainly involving sports tampering and other fixed bets. I'm not saying it's the reason why Mike O'Mara was killed, just that there is evidence to suggest that his agency included very corrupt individuals.

Quote:
What would have spooked a guy (who admittedly did not like guns) into grabbing his gun to go investigate at a police filling station?
I would pose this to you: what would have compelled a guy who admittedly did not like guns to kill himself with a gun?

Quote:
And who would have known that O'Mara was going to be at that filling station at the time of his murder?
Someone who was or had been watching him. It does happen.

Quote:
Considering that the cop who found his body showed up "minutes" after he radioed the dispatcher that he was in service, the likelihood of a murderer intercepting O'Mara and getting away is IMO highly unlikely.
You walk up, you shoot him in the head (perhaps with a silenced weapon), you walk away. Isn't that exactly what happened to Roger Wheeler? And THAT happened in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of an active golf course and country club.

Quote:
EDIT: There was also an eye/ear witness who saw a "dark car" pull into the service station and then shortly after heard one single gunshot. O'Mara's gun was fired once, and there were powder burns on his hands. So if there was one gunshot heard, how exactly was O'Mara murdered? Did his killer/s hold his hands and aim the gun at his head? I'm not an expert on firearms, so I might be wrong, but if O'Mara simply fired his weapon with one hand (presumeably at an assailaint if you believe the murder theory), then there shouldn't be powder burns on both hands. But if he held the gun with boths hands away from his forehead, this would explain the powder burns on both hands.
No one who has been properly educated/trained fires a handgun with one hand, especially not a police officer. BOTH hands are on the weapon--one to pull the trigger, and one for support. Both hands, therefore, should almost always have residue on them (unless, interestingly enough, they have committed suicide with the weapon).

The eye/earwitness I can't speak to. I can say a silenced weapon wouldn't be heard even from a relatively short distance away.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Pension benefits from Cook County? I'm confused on what you mean. It's unusual for retired police officers to receive large pensions, and they often start second careers. Look at the way they're paid when they're working full-time, after all.

Barbara O'Mara actually sued the insurance company because it refused to pay. One would reasonably assume one or both of them had to be aware of the provisions of the double-indemnity rider--especially the one who allegedly intended his wife to receive the benefits upon his death!
If he planned on killing himself to make it look like a murder, then that thought would have never crossed his mind. This is why I think he took the flashlight with him, to make it appear that he was investigating something.

Quote:
About that investigator: he's interesting folk. You can read more about him in the articles I previously posted.

It's been more than once that someone has been murdered and their belongings have been left untouched and intact. Again, the lone fact that one round was missing from his magazine is not evidence that he killed himself, no matter how badly one wants it to be.
Well the same could be said for the murder theory. There's no evidence to suggest that he fired his weapon at anyone other than himself. If O'Mara had a price tag on his head for whatever reason, don't most "hits" involve someone taking something (money, valuables) to make it look like a robbery?

Quote:
I would check out some resources on some elements of the Cook County Sheriff's Police and of the Chicago PD, and their interesting co-mingling with organized crime, mainly involving sports tampering and other fixed bets. I'm not saying it's the reason why Mike O'Mara was killed, just that there is evidence to suggest that his agency included very corrupt individuals.
I don't doubt that there were corrupt inviduals in his agency. I just don't see why anyone would want a cop who was on desk duty murdered.

Quote:
I would pose this to you: what would have compelled a guy who admittedly did not like guns to kill himself with a gun?
To either make it look like an accident, or a murder. Even in the article you posted, O'Mara's wife's cousin makes an odd remark about how O'Mara could have made his death look like an accident. This may have been his intention as well.

Quote:
Someone who was or had been watching him. It does happen.
Yes it does. But that article (and the one I referenced) make mention of O'Mara stopping at his private security firm before heading back home. If someone was following him and wanted him dead, this would have been a prime opportunity to kill him, since no one other than O'Mara would have been around. At a service station frequented by police officers, the risk of being caught would have been significantly greater than a building in which O'Mara was the only one present.

Quote:
You walk up, you shoot him in the head (perhaps with a silenced weapon), you walk away. Isn't that exactly what happened to Roger Wheeler? And THAT happened in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of an active golf course and country club.
Based off of the crime scene, it doesn't appear it was that easy. O'Mara was slumped over a rock, his gun and flashlight next to his body. It just seems weird to me that he would be out filling his car, then he hears a noise or sees someone to immediately grab his gun and his flashlight to go check it out. Why did he not radio in to report suspicious activity before going to investigate? IMO, unless he heard screams, I can't think of anything that would have warranted that reaction out of him. Especially at a gas station used by cops and county workers.

Quote:
No one who has been properly educated/trained fires a handgun with one hand, especially not a police officer. BOTH hands are on the weapon--one to pull the trigger, and one for support. Both hands, therefore, should almost always have residue on them (unless, interestingly enough, they have committed suicide with the weapon).

The eye/earwitness I can't speak to. I can say a silenced weapon wouldn't be heard even from a relatively short distance away.
O'Mara could have held both hands on the gun and shot himself. It would have been extremely odd, but it still could have been accomplished. Especially if he was trying to make it seem like he was the victim of foul play or an accident.

The eyewitness is important because he heard a shot shortly after O'Mara pulled into the service station. The time frame, IMO, is just way to short for something to have occurred (that would make O'Mara draw his weapon and actually fire it) other than O'Mara shooting himself. In the case of Ralph Probst, they actually had a prime suspect. With O'Mara we only have innuendo and possible links to his past. No one came forward and said "so and so said he wanted O'Mara dead". The murder theory just seems too thin in this case. Nobody thought Tony Lombardi was suicidal either, yet many on here believe he shot himself. And absent of the fact that his private security firm was faltering financially, we really don't know if there were other factors involved that could have drove him to suicide, since the UM segment was slanted more in favor of the murder theory.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 AM   #21
MegtheEgg86

The long and short of it is this: there's no apparent motive either way. There's no apparent motive for him to have committed suicide. There's no apparent motive for him to have been murdered. Given what's presented, however, it looks like murder to me, and I say that primarily because of the gross lack of evidence that O'Mara was suicidal at the time of his death in addition to details about O'Mara's activities that night (taking the money for yogurt, leaving the gas pump in the car--filling UP the car for that matter, the flashlight). It is futile to speculate on how someone might have killed himself--or why someone might have killed himself--if there is no evidence to support the fact that the individual was suicidal at the time of his death. By all accounts, O'Mara was happy, looking forward to a new job teaching criminology in Florida, and making other plans for his future. That is NOT how a suicidal individual behaves.

Bear in mind, it was UM that implied O'Mara "might" have been despondent over being "relegated" to a desk job. Did O'Mara even give two flips about manning a desk for a little while as he was on the verge of retiring and starting a new career anyway? I suppose we'll never know. From what I've seen and read, it sure as hell doesn't really look like it, IMO.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #22
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
The long and short of it is this: there's no apparent motive either way. There's no apparent motive for him to have committed suicide. There's no apparent motive for him to have been murdered. Given what's presented, however, it looks like murder to me, and I say that primarily because of the gross lack of evidence that O'Mara was suicidal at the time of his death in addition to details about O'Mara's activities that night (taking the money for yogurt, leaving the gas pump in the car--filling UP the car for that matter, the flashlight). It is futile to speculate on how someone might have killed himself--or why someone might have killed himself--if there is no evidence to support the fact that the individual was suicidal at the time of his death. By all accounts, O'Mara was happy, looking forward to a new job teaching criminology in Florida, and making other plans for his future. That is NOT how a suicidal individual behaves.

Bear in mind, it was UM that implied O'Mara "might" have been despondent over being "relegated" to a desk job. Did O'Mara even give two flips about manning a desk for a little while as he was on the verge of retiring and starting a new career anyway? I suppose we'll never know. From what I've seen and read, it sure as hell doesn't really look like it, IMO.
I wholeheartedly agree about the lack of motive either way. I just think the lack of any real suspects, or anyone who would have wanted O'Mara dead, is what makes this more likely a suicide or accident. We don't know why O'Mara stopped off at his private security firm that night. UM didn't even mention this in their segment, they made it seem like he went out to get yogurt and then return back home. I was going to rewatch this case because I haven't seen it in awhile, but all of the segments are gone from the forbidden website.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:34 AM   #23
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I wholeheartedly agree about the lack of motive either way. I just think the lack of any real suspects, or anyone who would have wanted O'Mara dead, is what makes this more likely a suicide or accident. We don't know why O'Mara stopped off at his private security firm that night. UM didn't even mention this in their segment, they made it seem like he went out to get yogurt and then return back home.
Yeah, they did completely leave out his stopping by his security firm. They actually left out his security firm entirely, I think. I think that might provide an interesting facet to the case that we didn't get exposed to, unfortunately.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #24
Victoria81
Forum Regular

Just watched this, this morning after years and still feel it was murder.
Victoria81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:05 AM   #25
TheResearcher
Occasional Poster

After re-watching the case, I have to conclude that the evidence mostly points to murder. There is simply much more of a motive for that than suicide. It's quite obvious that O'Mara was the classic, upright, straight-shooting cop. He could have easily found something incriminating in his own department and had to be rubbed out.

As an additional note, I find that the police speculation of him trying to make his death appear to be a homicide to be ridiculous and even downright suspicious. If O'Mara wanted to make his death appear to be a homicide, there are far better ways.
TheResearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #26
brianh333
Frequent Poster

Just watched this one last night on one of the CD's (I want to say #5?)... in light of the recent "GI Joe" guy out of Illinois (the insanely elaborate suicide made-to-look like a homicide), I'm wondering if the O'Mara case wasn't something similar
The above post was about unsolved mysteries. Whenever possible, the actual author (not a police official) has participated in re-creating the events. What you just got done reading was NOT a news broadcast.
brianh333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #27
freakbook

Movie

Suicide that was mean't to look like a homicide.

When talking suicide, most people typically go "why would he kill himself? he had nothing wrong with his life" but you don't know that, or him. We're given a 3 minute segment, so we don't know what was going on in his head, home, or job. All we know is what they tell us, not everything.

Now for the motive, maybe there just wasn't one. He could've been stuck in a unhappy marriage, he was approaching retirement, and wasn't looking forward to just sitting around, or he suffered from depression (not everyone displays signs). If there wasn't a motive, then it's possible he still set it up as a homicide so his family would get his benefits.

Not to tarnish his name, but Mike could've had unknown bad dealings. It's possible that someone who also worked for the county threatened to expose him, so he committed suicide as to not get exposed, and set the scene up so his family could receive compensation.

Another theory is that he had uncovered something he shouldn't have and opened his mouth about it, and was afraid for his life. If he was in talks of exposing someone he worked with, or for, then it's possible that they made his life hell, or threatened his family, so he killed himself so his family wouldn't get messed with.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:23 AM   #28
yourhomiebrian
Frequent Poster

I think suicide is the most likely option.
yourhomiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #29
asmitty
Forum Regular

Before I say this next bit, I want to state for the record that I feel suicide is most likely unless the cops involved in this case were covering up things. But, there is no evidence of that presented.

I am a bit bothered by the fact that he started pumping gas and didn't finish. Suicide isn't a spur of the moment decision, and people who commit suicide generally make more arrangements than that.

But, it is possible he wanted to make a suicide look like a murder. As stated above, this would have ensured his pension and death benefits still paid out to his family.
asmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:08 PM   #30
LakeForestPI
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

There is not enough info on this case to even come up with an accurate guess. What was the financial situation at home? Was the family in debt or were they living comfortably? How exactly did Mikes benefits pay out if it was a suicide versus killed in the line of duty? What kind of work and who was he working for in regards to his side business?

Back during this time period the blue wall was a legit being. The cook county sheriffs office was well known to be corrupt and close knit. Why weren't his pals on the force looking out for his family by ruling the death accidental instead of suicide? Or did he not have any more friends at the sheriff's office? Way too many unaswered questions. Being that I live near and work in and around Chicago this case has never gotten any press. That's very odd when considering all the unanswered questions, speculation and innuendo. My opinion is there way too quick to rule it a homicide because they did not want any questions or any digging into Mikes life. Why?
LakeForestPI is offline   Reply With Quote