Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
Sarzac
First Time Poster

Default Ellender Double Murder

Hi,

I am looking for information pertaining to an episode of Unsolved Mysteries that featured the double murder of Eric and Pam Ellender in Sulphur, Louisiana. Can anyone tell me the name of the episode as well as if it appears on any of the released DVDs? I'm from the area that this happened, and although the furor of the events have died down, people still talk about it, though most have forgotten that UM did a segment on it.

Thanks!
Sarzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
brianh333
Frequent Poster

definitely put the "search" feature to use on that one - there are many cases that have some good threads going on them already, and I'd say that's one of the notable ones. With a unique last name like that, you should be able to find several distinct, relevant hits.

And if you have anything at all to add to previous discussions, I haven't yet seen anyone around here get crushed simply for bumping an old thread (not at all like you see on a lot of forums).
The above post was about unsolved mysteries. Whenever possible, the actual author (not a police official) has participated in re-creating the events. What you just got done reading was NOT a news broadcast.
brianh333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
tiddlywinks950
Frequent Poster

i dont think its on any of the dvds, but you can certainly watch it online. i know ive seen it around
tiddlywinks950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Mastermind

OT-Is there a more dumber name for a satanic cult that THE SKATERS???!!!!

I almost laughed out loud when I heard that the first time.

Yeah, SKATERS....really scary acronym there.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
Thiussat
Forum Regular

I think this is another case just like Tony Lombardi, Tommy Burkett or Cindy James. That is, I think it is a case where a family cannot accept the truth. While I certainly sympathize with the situation (it was one of the more horrible UM segments), I think the family is really grasping at straws here.

First of all, I find the notion of a satanic party at the house after the murders quite ludicrous. How come nobody in the neighborhood reported such activity? Surely some neighbor or passerby saw this party? You know, it's quite difficult to pack 40 people into a house without neighbors seeing it or hearing it (I know, I attended teenage parties growing up -- it was hard to stop cops from breaking the thing up, much less stop neighbors from seeing it). All the Littletons have produced as far as evidence are a few drug addled teenagers whose stories change on a whim. Furthermore, how come there was not a single beer can, cigarette butt, bottle top, footprint or other evidence found in the house? Assuming the police fingerprinted the scene, why were no fingerprints of all these people found? Were they all wearing gloves?

As for the witness testimony, it's rather flimsy. After watching the UM segment, I saw that one "witness" claims the husband was shot first, while another witness says that the wife was shot first. Then another witness claims the husband woke up and fought with the attackers, while others say that both were asleep. But it gets worse -- I read in some news articles that "witnesses" came forward and said that game wardens, the Sheriff's son and several police officers were partying it up at the house that night! (I guess Satan has a hold on that whole town!). It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to ascertain that something is very wrong with these "witness" accounts. What I see is nothing but teenage rumor mongering.

Second, I don't put much stock into a satanic cult. There is a well known phenomenon known as the "satanic panic." It was the fear during the 80's and 90's that satanic cults were involved in a bunch of grisly murders (see the West Memphis 3). The truth is that there is extremely little evidence that such cults were ever directly involved in any murders at all. Saying satanic cults are responsible is just a way for otherwise normal people to rationalize brutal crimes (i.e. this crime was so bad, it must be Satan). In truth, most crimes are just committed by screwed up people. No cult needed.

Do I think Prudhomme worked alone? Probably not. Do I think he might have had one or two accomplices? Most probably. Do I think he bragged or told others who were not involved about it? Yeah, most likely. Do I think the murders were some big satanic conspiracy being covered up by the Sheriff? Hell no.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
First of all, I find the notion of a satanic party at the house after the murders quite ludicrous. How come nobody in the neighborhood reported such activity? Surely some neighbor or passerby saw this party? You know, it's quite difficult to pack 40 people into a house without neighbors seeing it or hearing it (I know, I attended teenage parties growing up -- it was hard to stop cops from breaking the thing up, much less stop neighbors from seeing it). All the Littletons have produced as far as evidence are a few drug addled teenagers whose stories change on a whim. Furthermore, how come there was not a single beer can, cigarette butt, bottle top, footprint or other evidence found in the house? Assuming the police fingerprinted the scene, why were no fingerprints of all these people found? Were they all wearing gloves?

As for the witness testimony, it's rather flimsy. After watching the UM segment, I saw that one "witness" claims the husband was shot first, while another witness says that the wife was shot first. Then another witness claims the husband woke up and fought with the attackers, while others say that both were asleep. But it gets worse -- I read in some news articles that "witnesses" came forward and said that game wardens, the Sheriff's son and several police officers were partying it up at the house that night! (I guess Satan has a hold on that whole town!). It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to ascertain that something is very wrong with these "witness" accounts. What I see is nothing but teenage rumor mongering.

Second, I don't put much stock into a satanic cult. There is a well known phenomenon known as the "satanic panic." It was the fear during the 80's and 90's that satanic cults were involved in a bunch of grisly murders (see the West Memphis 3). The truth is that there is extremely little evidence that such cults were ever directly involved in any murders at all. Saying satanic cults are responsible is just a way for otherwise normal people to rationalize brutal crimes (i.e. this crime was so bad, it must be Satan). In truth, most crimes are just committed by screwed up people. No cult needed.

Do I think Prudhomme worked alone? Probably not. Do I think he might have had one or two accomplices? Most probably. Do I think he bragged or told others who were not involved about it? Yeah, most likely. Do I think the murders were some big satanic conspiracy being covered up by the Sheriff? Hell no.
I agree with absolutely everything you have said here. I feel the same way. I think the entire story was an absolute load of crap.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I think there were maybe 4-6 teenagers at the house when the Ellender's were killed. I think the "party" aspect is over exaggerated, if not entirely made up. No way any sane teenager (no matter how drunk/stoned they were) would want to stick around in a house knowing that there was a murdered couple within mere feet of them, murdered by one of the party goers. As for the things being filtered to the father of Mrs. Ellender about sexual things being filmed on tape, etc. I think that was nothing more than some sicko seeking some type of compensation for the "information" he/she provided to the family. All lies.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
soilentgreen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Some great points. Like one of the theories attached to the Son of Sam murders, there's no credible evidence of occult activity being a motive for the murder of the Ellenders. It was just the popular cultural boogeyman for the child abuse and crime that was going on in that era. Growing up as a metalhead at that time, I remember this BS pretty well.

Some individuals get kicks out of manipulating the authorities and the families with false information (the party at the house and the supposed film of the Ellender's bodies). I believe that Robert Adkins was involved in the crime to some extent. With all the rumor mongering, outright lies, and the suicide of Prudhomme, it's hard to say who else may have been involved, other than the two guys who were found in the Ellender's vehicle with Prudhomme and Adkins.

One of the few cases I can think of where there was an actual ritual activity linked to homicides was Adolfo Constazo's cult (in Mexico in the eighties). Still, the motives were generally sadistic and revenge driven (some of the victims were rival drug dealers).
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilentgreen
Growing up as a metalhead at that time, I remember this BS pretty well.
Then you probably remember the lawsuit against Judas Priest. Some parents sued the band because they claimed their lyrics caused two boys to commit suicide. You can see clips on the bad site. They even had Halford sing some of his lyrics at the trial. The whole thing was totally ridiculous. And then you had the demonization of AC/DC because Richard Ramirez sometimes wore an AC/DC hat. People figured that this meant AC/DC was somehow responsible.

I think you're right, though. I think the whole satanic panic was started by Son of Sam. In truth the guy was just a lunatic (claimed his neighbors dog spoke to him) and was not a part of any cult.

Cult murders are pretty rare. You had the Manson family and a few other isolated cases here and there. But what most people don't like to admit is that more cult killings have been a result of Christian cults than "satanic" cults. Jim Jones, David Koresh, etc. These people are a lot more scary to me than satanic cults.

Quote:
I believe that Robert Adkins was involved in the crime to some extent.
I am pretty sure he was later convicted of 2nd degree murder.

Quote:
With all the rumor mongering, outright lies, and the suicide of Prudhomme, it's hard to say who else may have been involved, other than the two guys who were found in the Ellender's vehicle with Prudhomme and Adkins.
Yeah I think those two other guys were probably involved and should be at least charged as accessories. I know Adkins was charged, not sure about anyone else.

Quote:
One of the few cases I can think of where there was an actual ritual activity linked to homicides was Adolfo Constazo's cult (in Mexico in the eighties). Still, the motives were generally sadistic and revenge driven (some of the victims were rival drug dealers).
Yeah, it seems that even when cults are involved, the murders are usually not random.
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
soilentgreen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Then you probably remember the lawsuit against Judas Priest. Some parents sued the band because they claimed their lyrics caused two boys to commit suicide.

I remember that; the one guy lived for a time following the suit, his face pretty much destroyed. There were also a few civil suits holding Ozzy Osbourne and his record company culpable for suicides, in regards to "Suicide Solution".

There were several homicides, one of which involved a couple of teens bludgeoning their friend with a baseball bat (they were pissed off at him for some petty reason) where metal lyrics and the 'satanic' behavior of the killers were brought up in the media as well. Sorry, but I don't remember all of the details. This is besides the whole 'satanic ritual abuse' accusations levied against some daycare workers.

Quote:
I think the whole satanic panic was started by Son of Sam. In truth the guy was just a lunatic (claimed his neighbors dog spoke to him) and was not a part of any cult.
I think Manson, Ramirez and Maury Terry's theories on Son of Sam contributed in part to the 'satanic cult murder' scare. Off topic, but I think that while Berkowitz had some mental issues, he was embellishing about having delusions that Sam Carr's dog ordered him to kill people, and having involvement in some satanic cult. He was just sexually frustrated, felt socially isolated, and was turned on by shooting people.
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

I agree the whole satanic thing gets blown out of proportion, but remember we are sane people on these boards (I think, lol). If Marilyn Manson glorifys suicide in one of his songs we won't do it. If I watch Natural Born Killers again I won't find it hip to kill people. But I'm normal. I'm sane. Not every kid is "right in the head" and there certainly have been times when lyrics from a song or scenes from a movie have pushed someone over the top to commit murder. I say this and I am a huge horror movie buff, but I also can't deny that somewhere along the way a depressed kid got some ideas from movies/music
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
radiohead33
Frequent Poster

i always thought there was something to this case. it scared the hell out of me when i first heard it.

Why couldnt it be plausible that a party took place? Or that video was taken?

Surely you all have seen enough UM segments that involve cop coverups to alert you to the fact that if the son of a deputy was involved in the murder or the party that the cop and his buddies would stop at nothing to protect the kid and by extension the police department?

Couldnt it be possible, the killers threw a party and no one saw the bodies in the next room? The killers themselves either didnt see the young baby in a crib or else they refused to kill it.

Also, why isnt it plausible that this party did involve people in the house and the party goers would go in a check out the dead bodies? Stranger things have happened folks.

I dont think the satanic story and the murders and party are mutually exclusive. To believe the teens murdered the couple and held a party afterwards, to believe that you dont have to believe in cults or satanic rituals or any of that.

I think it happened. I also think the deputies son was involved thus the coverup.

the party was never billed as nor talked about as a satanic cult party. it was shown, and billed and talked about as if it was a typical party that teens go to every friday and saturday night in high school.
radiohead33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead33
the party was never billed as nor talked about as a satanic cult party. it was shown, and billed and talked about as if it was a typical party that teens go to every friday and saturday night in high school.
Why did no neighbors or interlopers see it? If you have that many people at a house, someone is going to see it. A neighbor, someone driving down the street, etc.
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
radiohead33
Frequent Poster

additionally, from the crime scene photos shown on UM, theres stuff in the living room, 3 guns lying on the floor, but also, like a bag, and just debris and stuff I cant make out what it is lying on the floor. Maybe not evidence of a massive party, but it doesnt look to me like blood on the floor there, nor does it look like normal household clutter. the question then is whats on the floor in those 2 photos, and is it party related? drugs? beer?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
radiohead33
Frequent Poster

lets also not forget the sheriffs son, the one rumored to be at the party was also rumored to be involved in the KK corners triple murder as well.

again, lets say this party happened as it was said it did. that the ellenders lay in the next room dead and dozens of teens milled about the house, drinking, doing drugs. and say one of the partiers is indeed a sheriffs son. and then that same kid is involved or rumored to be involved in another murder. Im thinking the police are gonna cover things up...