Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
joshypiano
Stack-a-holic
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to joshypiano Send a message via MSN to joshypiano Send a message via Yahoo to joshypiano
Default Amy Billig

Well, I've done a lot of reading on this forum about Amy Billig and was surprised to see that nobody went another route with this story.

To refresh your memory she was she young lady who went missing and there was a lot of thought that she was abducted by bikers and kept as a slave known as "Mute". Her mother was always out searching for her and always seemed to be just a few steps behind her. Nothing ever came of it and one the bikers allegedly involved claimed on his deathbed that she overdosed at a party the night she went missing and they threw her body into the Everglades to be eaten by alligators.

The part that surprises me is that no one has focused in on Henry Johnson Blair, the man who began harassing Mrs. Billig with phone calls after Amy disappeared. He did this for 21 years. His identity was unknown until he made a call from his cell phone which they traced. Prior to that he always called from a phone booth.

What I find particularly interesting is that Amy had written in her journal that she was thinking of running away to South America with a man named Hank. Henry Johnson Blair's nickname is Hank and he worked for the Customs Department and was required to relocate to South America at the time of Amy's disappearance. Another scary fact is that they discovered Amy's camera along a northbound highway after he disappearance. When they developed the film they found a photo of a white van identical in color and model to the one Henry Johnson Blair drove in 1974.

Henry Johnson Blair claims he never met Amy and harassed her mother due to alcoholism and mental problems. But I find it unlikely he never met her. It's seems pretty evident they knew each other and may have been involved.

Whether or not he abducted her or not is another matter but I'm surprised its an avenue that hasn't been explored more. I never really took the biker abduction thing at face value. It's seems more likely to me that Henry Johnson Blair might have taken her and killed her. He seems obsessive, and she was a very pretty girl. It might have ended badly.

Thoughts?
joshypiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:03 AM   #2
themaninblack
Forum Regular

but what about the UK link? the investigator said she had a contact who had been offered a "girl" nicknamed "mute".
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
chacha6581
Forum Regular

This case has always stuck with me. Her mother died without finding out what really happened to her. So sad.
Did the police ever give "Hank" a lie detector test or anything? The whole mute situation, well that could have been her too. I think that her diary is def. credible, as are the pictures that she took. I wonder if her friends new about Hank.
chacha6581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:27 AM   #4
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Too bad that guy in the UK didn't agree to buy her. You know, arrange a time, place, and price, then go to the cops, who might even supply the money. I'd almost rather think he was lying than that Amy or some other unfortunate person was left in that situation due to him not pursuing it aggressively enough.
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
joshypiano
Stack-a-holic
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to joshypiano Send a message via MSN to joshypiano Send a message via Yahoo to joshypiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack
but what about the UK link? the investigator said she had a contact who had been offered a "girl" nicknamed "mute".
wow I can't believe I never saw this reply to the thread I started. I just thought no one responded. Ahem....it's a little late but here goes...

I really don't buy that story. How many times have we heard in missing persons cases that someone saw that person elsewhere and after the abduction, and were so sure of it. And much like the Kerri Lynn Nixon case it turned out to be false. Look, I've seen people on the streets who I thought were very dear friends of mine, only to discover it was someone else. Once in San Antonio I even thought I saw my mother, but it wasn't her.
Now I can only imagine in missing persons cases where the sense of urgency and hope for retrieval are heightened that it may become even more skewed.

If I am to believe the bikers story, if anything it just seems like the story by the bikers that she was abducted was just there to mess with Susan Billig, and draw suspicion away from the fact that
Amy was dead. Perhaps the bikers did know something about it. Perhaps she was killed by the bikers, or OD'd at a party they threw.

But in the end it just appears to me that there was little chance of her being absconded and remaining alive for that long, to end up where years later a man in England could "buy" her.

I also find the circumstances of the persona of that individual who was approached, being approached in that manner, at that location as being highly circumspect.

Yay 200th post!
joshypiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
browneyes106

I remember that story. It was really sad and I felt bad for her mom.
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:05 AM   #7
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshypiano
If I am to believe the bikers story, if anything it just seems like the story by the bikers that she was abducted was just there to mess with Susan Billig, and draw suspicion away from the fact that
Amy was dead. Perhaps the bikers did know something about it. Perhaps she was killed by the bikers, or OD'd at a party they threw.
If the phantom phoner harassed Amy's mother for 22 years when he had absolutely no involvement, and he was a cop, it's not outside the realm of probability that bikers would mess with her whether they knew anything or not.

Quote:
I also find the circumstances of the persona of that individual who was approached, being approached in that manner, at that location as being highly circumspect.
Change that to highly suspect and I agree. Hardly a tough, greasy biker type, but more the type if he weren't so timid and plain pathetic, would go straight to authorities. Hardly "buyer" material.

Quote:
Yay 200th post!
Congratulations!
Old 10-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
ms_bates
Frequent Poster

I've often wondered if the Hank from Amy's journal and the Hank who harassed her mother were the same person. I wonder if Amy's friends were ever asked about the "Hank" mentioned in her journal. I find it hard to believe that a teenage girl would have an older boyfriend and not mention it to some of her girlfriends. When I was 17, that would have been one of the most exciting things I could imagine!

As for the bikers, there did seem to be strong leads there. But then again, they also found some girls in the biker circles who looked quite a bit like Amy, so it is possible it was all a case of mistaken identity to begin with.

Very puzzling case indeed. I highly recommend reading the book if you haven't. It is available on Amazon and is a great read, her mom went through so much to try and find her. http://www.amazon.com/Without-Trace-.../dp/0380814137
ms_bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:12 AM   #9
DP1
Forum Regular

This was a case that always stuck in my mind.

About that guy Hank, the police have said that wasn't involved or something to that effect. But I think he had to have known Amy. Why else would he be making all those phone calls. Hell, why he made those harrassing phone calls I'll never know. America's Most Wanted as profiled this case and one of the investigators said they wish they had know about Blair twenty years ago.
DP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:30 AM   #10
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Was anyone else rescued from the biker culture while searching for Amy?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
marlins3
Forum Regular

I believe there was a drug connection tied to her disappearance. If she disappeard with "Hank", I find it somehwat odd that she didn't tell any of her friends (she was supposed to meet them for lunch). Billig was involved in the Miami drug scene and wore roach clips in her hair.

Last edited by marlins3; 10-14-2008 at 08:04 PM.
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #12
chacha6581
Forum Regular

It is crazy to think how reckless teens can be. When you grow older, you realize how many stupid things you did and all the ways you could have gotten hurt. I think she would have mentioned "Hank" to her friends as well. Remember that informant that was taking her mom to the biker bars? What happened with that? He died right?
chacha6581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #13
LaToyaBoy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Well, I've done a lot of reading on this forum about Amy Billig and was surprised to see that nobody went another route with this story.

To refresh your memory she was she young lady who went missing and there was a lot of thought that she was abducted by bikers and kept as a slave known as "Mute". Her mother was always out searching for her and always seemed to be just a few steps behind her. Nothing ever came of it and one the bikers allegedly involved claimed on his deathbed that she overdosed at a party the night she went missing and they threw her body into the Everglades to be eaten by alligators.

The part that surprises me is that no one has focused in on Henry Johnson Blair, the man who began harassing Mrs. Billig with phone calls after Amy disappeared. He did this for 21 years. His identity was unknown until he made a call from his cell phone which they traced. Prior to that he always called from a phone booth.

What I find particularly interesting is that Amy had written in her journal that she was thinking of running away to South America with a man named Hank. Henry Johnson Blair's nickname is Hank and he worked for the Customs Department and was required to relocate to South America at the time of Amy's disappearance. Another scary fact is that they discovered Amy's camera along a northbound highway after he disappearance. When they developed the film they found a photo of a white van identical in color and model to the one Henry Johnson Blair drove in 1974.

Henry Johnson Blair claims he never met Amy and harassed her mother due to alcoholism and mental problems. But I find it unlikely he never met her. It's seems pretty evident they knew each other and may have been involved.

Whether or not he abducted her or not is another matter but I'm surprised its an avenue that hasn't been explored more. I never really took the biker abduction thing at face value. It's seems more likely to me that Henry Johnson Blair might have taken her and killed her. He seems obsessive, and she was a very pretty girl. It might have ended badly.

Thoughts?
Why wasnt this mentioned in the segement?!?!

Personally I think Amy was abducted, raped and then murdered the same day. This whole thing about "owning" the women...this may happen but it is VERY rare. The biker that claimed he had info on Amy obviously was trying to get money from her (Amys mother). The time when he took Mrs. Billng to the bar and the "fight" broke out...total production number. It was all arranged. I dont care if he had crutches and bruises. I did feel sorry for the mother...this was a segement when it was total heartbreak. But the part when the man in Europe was approached by the biker who wanted to sell the girl. WoW! That was a one in a million shot...and then the news to travel that far and to make a connection to a case! WOWZERS!
Old 10-12-2008, 11:52 PM   #14
DP1
Forum Regular

I remember hearing about the entire Blair case on Inside Edition. I saw a commercial for it and watched. I was very surprised the harrassing phone calls were not mentioned on UM. UM has a tendancy to leave out details but I have a feeling it might have had to do with the harrassing phone calls still be an ongoing investigation. Maybe they knew they were closing in and didn't want to ruin things by speaking about it.
DP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #15
ksm1967
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1
I remember hearing about the entire Blair case on Inside Edition. I saw a commercial for it and watched. I was very surprised the harrassing phone calls were not mentioned on UM. UM has a tendancy to leave out details but I have a feeling it might have had to do with the harrassing phone calls still be an ongoing investigation. Maybe they knew they were closing in and didn't want to ruin things by speaking about it.
I get a bit frustrated with some of the information on UM too when it comes to details, but I will say that I understand leaving some of the information out if it's required for the investigation.
I have a hard time believing that someone would just call and harass the woman for 22 years just because he was a drunk and a mental case. It seems deeper than that to me. JMO...but it doesn't really seem right.
ksm1967 is offline   Reply With Quote