Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #106
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastamatt
I still think that the scariest photo/drawing I've seen so far on UM was the weird old man that appeared in one of the haunted episodes.
If we're thinking of the same thing, that drawing has haunted me for years! I was a child at the time and found it deeply disturbing. Does anyone remember what the segment was?
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #107
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrad1988
I think it was a misjudgment on Matt's part to go deposit and take out money at midnight in gang/ crime infested LA, but I also cannot blame the victim. We've all done things like that. In an ideal world, we should be able to do that, but we live in an often dangerous world filled with those who do evil.
First off, welcome!

Secondly, I totally understand and agree with several of your points. I was actually at a drive-up ATM at around 11pm the other day and remembered this segment. Let's just say I was looking around during my entire transaction and sped away quickly.

I cannot remember if UM even went into the possible gang relation on this case. Was it just mentioned off hand or was there an in-depth discussion? I think you are correct in that it was either gang-related, or someone wanted it to appear gang-related.

And yes, I have not lost hope on this one, either. It is very similar to Gretchen Burford and her case was ultimately solved....
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #108
Steve W.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrad1988
This segment was just on my mind the other day, I remember it being one of those eerie and sad original UM cases that stuck with me and made me afraid, and so I looked it up, saw this and feel compelled to give 2 cents on this whole case.

I hope that despite it still being unsolved after 28 years (my current age) I that Matt's friends and family have been able to find some closure and peace. May Matt's memory be a blessing and may his soul be elevated. I also feel that even though a lot of time has passed, this is a very solvable case. We have a picture of the scumbag who either directly killed, or was involved in Matt's abduction and murder. We also have a blue bandana bearing the insignia of the East Side Playboys mexican gang (ES PBS CLS). While the passage of time makes it seem less likely, with the advancement of technology, I disagree. Computer enhancement and dna testing (which was not nearly as effective as it is now) give this case a boost. Remember Gretchen Buford's murder also happened in 1988 (that whole case is similar to this one) went unsolved for many years, dubbed a cold case, until DNA technology matched sweat from a hat left in the car to her killer.
I think it was a misjudgment on Matt's part to go deposit and take out money at midnight in gang/ crime infested LA, but I also cannot blame the victim. We've all done things like that. In an ideal world, we should be able to do that, but we live in an often dangerous world filled with those who do evil.

This was almost definitely gang related, and there were almost definitely more than one person involved here. It seems highly unlikely that Matt could be kidnapped by one person alone. The other thing I suspect is that, considering the late 80's in LA and the crack epidemic, I highly suspected drugs were a motive in the robbery. There are many stories of people being robbed and killed either to use the stolen money either directly for drugs or to pay off debt to some serious drug dealers. I know that's all conjecture, but when I look at this case and see all the pieces of the puzzle, its more than likely that was the case.

Most things are easy to decipher in hindsight, but maybe Matthew Chase came from a town or city where he felt safe going to an ATM at night.
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:49 AM   #109
Corkys-Place
Unsolved Mysteries Fan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W.
Most things are easy to decipher in hindsight, but maybe Matthew Chase came from a town or city where he felt safe going to an ATM at night.
Matthew wasn't originally from Los Angeles was he?
Corkys-Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:30 AM   #110
soilentgreen
Forum Regular

Matt was from Medford, OR. I don't think it was stated where in L.A. Matt and his friends lived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W.
Agreed. Matt might have been kidnapped after leaving the ATM, possibly at the store or elsewhere, since there was a 30 minute lapse between his initial deposit/cash withdrawal and the subsequent unsuccessful attempts. Zero gave a good analysis on this thread; the killer(s) were probably gang members who were looking to rob and murder someone.
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #111
Jrad1988
Occasional Poster

Hi! Nice to meet you!
Yes for a while, when I would come back home late at night and get out of my car, the creep in the sketch would come to mind and make me fearful. Now, when I look at it, it fills me with anger that creep had a hand in taking Matt. Also, The image and sketch is really only scary when coupled with the creepy unsolved mysteries music and Robert Stack's voice. Just by itself, not so much , Matt's abductor looks like Curly from the three stooges.
I do not think the Gang thing was really looked into. Matt joins a sad statistic of 754 homicides in LA in 1988. Much of that, according to the source I read, was gang and drug related.
Jrad1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #112
Jetjack74
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilentgreen
Matt was from Medford, OR. I don't think it was stated where in L.A. Matt and his friends lived.
I thought they lived in Pasadena.
Jetjack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #113
RobertStacked
Occasional Poster

To be able to figure details of a crime out, one must first learn to take his or her own biases out and think of every possible scenario. Many of you are assuming that the bandanna belongs to the killer. He could have stolen it from someone else he killed, so the letters could mean absolutely nothing for this case. He could have found it and thought that it would be great for robberies, or to cover his face if he needs to stay away from others coming after him. It could have been dropped by someone Teresa knew that went unnoticed. Someone could have stolen the car after it was abandoned. It was found three weeks later. Anything could have happened in 3 weeks. It could have even been stolen more than once. It's also possible that the killer was never in the car and used his own car to move Matthew around. They never mentioned if the car keys were in there. Also why would he go out driving without his license? I guess it wasn't that big of a deal in 1988 Los Angeles. I think the guy at the mission saw the information on the license and was messing with them, or was that messed up thinking that he is helping them by lying.

This crime happened shortly before I was 13. I remember watching the episode and thinking that from the picture that the killer was a white guy, honestly. Some of you want to be right, so you ignore other facts that don't fit your theory and try to make everything work with it. That is not good police work. You have to have an open mind to every possible scenario and see where the evidence takes you. The bandanna could identify the killer and at the same time, it could mean nothing, or it could mean like a few people have said, it could have been used to throw off the police. You also don't need several people to kidnap and rob someone when you are the only one with the gun.

You have to take your minds out of 2010 to 2016. in 1988 ATMs were outside the bank and there were not that many. The reason they were ATM cards and not debit cards like today was that you could only take out cash then. You could not buy anything with them, so whether someone had a bank account or not, the cards were exactly what the killer thought, cash cards. Also, If I remember correctly, after 2 or 3 failed attempts at you PIN, the machine took your card, fearing that it was stolen. People complained about this in the late 80s to the early 90s, so the banks stopped taking potentially stolen cards.

Honestly, this guy looks like either a junkie or a career thief, and possibly was not a killer until this night. He probably felt that Matt got too good of a look at him, since he didn't get money right away, so he killed him because dead men tell no tales. One person mentioned why wasn't the car sold for parts. If you just killed someone, you want to get away from the victim, and anything connecting you to him as quickly as possible. It's possible that this guy was a junkie which would explain the repeated attempts to get cash. Junkies tend to be obsessive compulsive, so instead of looking to rob someone else, he stayed focused on this one until he got paid. He may have seen him depositing his check and waited a bit before going after him. It's possible that he sparked up a conversation with him and Matt being from Oregon, was friendly and polite and that's why a half hour passed. The thief might have been building up his courage to rob him A regular mugger wants to spend as little time as possible with the victim, because he does not want to kill he just wants money. That would make me think that this guy was likely a junkie and that's why he botched the robbery.

DNA evidence and heat in the car would likely ruin any finger prints or DNA evidence. DNA research technology was not very good at the time and could have also been ruined from the heat being out there for so long before it was found would have likely made any technology useless.

I was trying to compare the Facebook page with the video while taking into account that Teresa would be about 50 today if she were 22 in 1988. More years have passed than the age she was at the time. From looking at that Facebook picture from 2014 (making her about 48 at the time), the noses look identical to me along with the features of the smiles and the eyebrows . The boy to the right, likely her son, looks to have similar eyes to the young Teresa. I think that it is a good possibility that it is she. They could have all moved to California after college. Check the picture comparison.

The poor kid had a whole life ahead of him. Who knows what would have happened had he just gone to bed that night. I feel worse for his parents because they had to go on with this pain. Matthew's ended the moment he died. If he was their only child, their family died with Matthew. Hopefully his killer is dead and suffered before his death. Even if it means the crime never gets solved. The only true justice for a killer is that he gets killed as well.

HTML Code:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1264815833542932&set=a.1264815920209590.1073741826.100000435829852&type=3

Last edited by RobertStacked; 08-30-2016 at 09:05 PM.
RobertStacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #114
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertStacked
If he was their only child, their family died with Matthew.
Given that Matthew was gay this was a certainty. I know what you mean, though.
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:14 PM   #115
Zero
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke74
Given that Matthew was gay this was a certainty. I know what you mean, though.
Who said he was gay?
Old 08-31-2016, 12:06 AM   #116
Zero
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjack74
I thought they lived in Pasadena.
No, his body was found in a ravine in Pasadena. Very easy to get between LA proper (not "LA" or Greater Los Angeles) and Pasadena from the 110 Freeway.

The bandanna belonged to a gang member. Period. The initials and the colors are a dead give away.

If this suspect himself was a gang member, he's most likely dead, or in prison. Hard core gang members of "violent" gangs do not have long life expectancy.

Who knows what happened in those 30 minutes between ATM withdrawals.

I do believe that by the time the $400 was withdrawn and the card confiscated, Matt was dead.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #117
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
Who said he was gay?
Wow...would that be the worst thing in the world?!
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #118
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
Who said he was gay?
Check out the rest of the thread. And this post: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/18...unforgettable/
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #119
Mr. Gordy
First Time Poster

Is this the Steve Dahl from the case? It's been a while since I saw the segment, but based on the location, I figured it might be him.

https://kobi5.com/news/phoenix-fires...manager-26680/
Mr. Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:04 PM   #120
RobertStacked
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gordy
Is this the Steve Dahl from the case? It's been a while since I saw the segment, but based on the location, I figured it might be him.

https://kobi5.com/news/phoenix-fires...manager-26680/

Maybe. I just looked at the segment. Teresa Dahl plays herself and I am assuming that Steve Dahl is playing himself. It's almost 30 years later, but the guy in the picture looks the right age and his features look a little like the Steve Dahl in the segment. I just looked at it again with the enlarged picture. I would slightly lean toward maybe not.
RobertStacked is offline   Reply With Quote