Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #91
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb4884
I wonder if this is Teresa Dahl, it looks like her

http://www.facebook.com/people/Teres...?id=1154713005

Curious if anyone ever reached out to Theresa through her Facebook?
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #92
wiseguy182

I still think the gang theory is very possible. The pictures of the perp sort of looks like a homeless person. This might also explain the failed withdrawal attempts. A homeless person is probably nave of such limits, and probably doesn't know much more about ATM's, other than that they are machines that give out cash.

Interestingly, the initials on the bandana didn't appear until the update, and even then, they weren't actually mentioned, just displayed on the screen. I always wonder why more wasn't done with them.

The car thing is weird though. Why did the perp leave it abandoned? Since robbery was obviously the motive, why didn't he just have it broken down for parts or something? That would net more cash. I always thought the car was part of the motive (unfortunate since Matt usually walked - Teresa convinced him to take her car that time), but who knows?

I sort of got the impression this was a bad neighborhood. Matt's parents make mention of seeing a lot of unsettling things.

I always thought it was weird Steven Dahl called the bank, pretending to be Matt and asked about the transactions. If he was Matt, he would have known whether or not there had been transactions. It was a lie and just a very weird one at that. I understand he was trying to do good and have the card cancelled to prevent further robbery, but perhaps the robber got pissed about the freeze on the card and did Matt in because of it?

You could just tell this wasn't going to be a "good case."
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #93
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

So the suggestion that the suspect or suspects held Chase for a couple of days before murdering him?
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #94
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I still think the gang theory is very possible. The pictures of the perp sort of looks like a homeless person. This might also explain the failed withdrawal attempts. A homeless person is probably nave of such limits, and probably doesn't know much more about ATM's, other than that they are machines that give out cash.

Interestingly, the initials on the bandana didn't appear until the update, and even then, they weren't actually mentioned, just displayed on the screen. I always wonder why more wasn't done with them.

The car thing is weird though. Why did the perp leave it abandoned? Since robbery was obviously the motive, why didn't he just have it broken down for parts or something? That would net more cash. I always thought the car was part of the motive (unfortunate since Matt usually walked - Teresa convinced him to take her car that time), but who knows?

I sort of got the impression this was a bad neighborhood. Matt's parents make mention of seeing a lot of unsettling things.

I always thought it was weird Steven Dahl called the bank, pretending to be Matt and asked about the transactions. If he was Matt, he would have known whether or not there had been transactions. It was a lie and just a very weird one at that. I understand he was trying to do good and have the card cancelled to prevent further robbery, but perhaps the robber got pissed about the freeze on the card and did Matt in because of it?

Yea if we get pissed off when our ATM card does not work or gets taken away just think how a bad person is going to feel! I never knew ATMs can confiscate a card by sucking it into their machine lol. Would that block future cards that night from going in and being used? In the 80s at our small shopping mall there was an ATM machine. Funny how back then ATM cards were the thing, today the term 'debit card' is in.

Maybe if it was not a gang person that explains the car not being stolen for parts. If it is just a homeless person from the area they may be afraid of being seen in it or later picked up by a cop. I don't think it was a homeless or gangster, probably just a young man from the bad part of town who lives with his friends or his parent(s) in a crappy home. Just some street guy from the hood who lives in a house, but steals cash or things for drug money.

And the sketch of the mysterious man at ATM was creepy due to him being completely unrecognizable and the old UM scary music. In fact I caught this segment days ago on Farina and it sucked w/o the music. It is hard to catch someone from a fake cartoon drawing lol. The only thing they seemed to pick up was the thief/killer's big nose. So police are going off of a gangster or homeless man with a big nose? It is a good selling point, but otherwise no one knows the color of his eyes, hair, etc.
lettucesolve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #95
dynoguy88

I went back and watched this segment today. For many years, people here have pointed out the man standing at Matt's side is one of the creepiest images ever shown on UM. And while I don't disagree, the more haunting image to me is the expression on Matt's face. In the first shot, he's staring at the ATM screen looking very serious. In the next shot with the man at his shoulder, it's the same serious look but his head and eyes are now lowered. The picture is grainy and not perfect quality but it's just enough to look unsettling, as if Matt is trying to keep cool under pressure.

There's a 30 minute time frame between Matt's successful deposit and withdrawal and the next attempt to withdraw $280.00. He was abducted some time during those 30 minutes. Stack said the police suspected Matt was abducted right after that first deposit/withdrawal (ala-Gretchen Burford) but I have a hard time believing that. I don't think a sicko is going to abduct a guy from an ATM and then wait 30 full minutes to force him to withdraw money from that same ATM.

It was never mentioned if Matt made it to the convenience store to buy the cat food. I'm assuming he never made it because had he been there, it would have been a crucial piece of the timeline that UM would not have left out. But I think he could very well have been abducted in the parking lot of the store (ala-Kathy Hobbs) and then have been forced to drive back to the ATM, which would explain the time lapse between the transactions.

Sadly, I agree with those who say Matt probably didn't survive much longer afterward. Since the car was wiped clean of any fingerprints, no blood and then driven back to within blocks of where the entire ordeal went down (ala-Oliver Munson.). He was most likely driven to the ravine where his body was found and killed there since there were no signs of a struggle or blood found in the car. I think the bandana being left behind could be nothing more than the killer leaving it as a message, almost to tell the police, "catch me if you can.".
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #96
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
Curious if anyone ever reached out to Theresa through her Facebook?
There is no way that is her.
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:50 AM   #97
wiseguy182

Most robbers it seems just ask for a wallet or purse. Matt didn't actually have his wallet on him, just his bank card. I have to wonder if the wallet would have been enough to get the robber to go away. That might have worked a lot better for Matt - he would have had a limited amount of cash on him, and all but $50 from his bank card would have been recovered more importantly, he might still be alive.

a lot of "what if's" in this case.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #98
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageSlowdive
There is no way that is her.
Really? I think it looks exactly like her.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #99
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
Really? I think it looks exactly like her.
Says she graduated college in Tennessee.
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #100
RightOnDude
Forum Regular

Her page doesn't mention Medford, OR anywhere, so I'm with you, it's probably not her. BUT, it does say she works in San Andreas, CA (which is nowhere near LA, but is in CA). Also the younger lady in the center of the profile photo doesn't appear to be Teresa (based on photo comments); I believe she is the lady to the left, who if you mentally age progress....maybe. Although, Teresa isn't "friends" with Steve Dahl...although, although, UM's Steve Dahl doesn't appear to be on facebook.

in other words, could be, but probably not. I'd say 25% chance that is the Teresa Dahl from UM.
RightOnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:50 AM   #101
DazzlerSparkler
Sharon Kinne Imposter
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to DazzlerSparkler

I wonder if there's any info on Steve Dahl. I got the impression he and Matt were lovers.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #102
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182

Yeah i always thought that was strange that the was he called pretending to be Matt and asking about transactions... he would not get away with that these days. You need name, dob, password and so on....
Old 05-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #103
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnDude
Her page doesn't mention Medford, OR anywhere, so I'm with you, it's probably not her. BUT, it does say she works in San Andreas, CA (which is nowhere near LA, but is in CA). Also the younger lady in the center of the profile photo doesn't appear to be Teresa (based on photo comments); I believe she is the lady to the left, who if you mentally age progress....maybe. Although, Teresa isn't "friends" with Steve Dahl...although, although, UM's Steve Dahl doesn't appear to be on facebook.

in other words, could be, but probably not. I'd say 25% chance that is the Teresa Dahl from UM.
Has anyone messaged to her and asked?
Judyhymesisalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #104
Hasho
Frequent Poster

I am still haunted by this case. I am never visiting an ATM again. I also think that the bandana was used to put off the LE. I am sure the LAPD investigated that angle and used their sources and snitches in the gang environment to find out if anyone knew anything.
Hasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #105
Jrad1988
Occasional Poster

This segment was just on my mind the other day, I remember it being one of those eerie and sad original UM cases that stuck with me and made me afraid, and so I looked it up, saw this and feel compelled to give 2 cents on this whole case.

I hope that despite it still being unsolved after 28 years (my current age) I that Matt's friends and family have been able to find some closure and peace. May Matt's memory be a blessing and may his soul be elevated. I also feel that even though a lot of time has passed, this is a very solvable case. We have a picture of the scumbag who either directly killed, or was involved in Matt's abduction and murder. We also have a blue bandana bearing the insignia of the East Side Playboys mexican gang (ES PBS CLS). While the passage of time makes it seem less likely, with the advancement of technology, I disagree. Computer enhancement and dna testing (which was not nearly as effective as it is now) give this case a boost. Remember Gretchen Buford's murder also happened in 1988 (that whole case is similar to this one) went unsolved for many years, dubbed a cold case, until DNA technology matched sweat from a hat left in the car to her killer.
I think it was a misjudgment on Matt's part to go deposit and take out money at midnight in gang/ crime infested LA, but I also cannot blame the victim. We've all done things like that. In an ideal world, we should be able to do that, but we live in an often dangerous world filled with those who do evil.

This was almost definitely gang related, and there were almost definitely more than one person involved here. It seems highly unlikely that Matt could be kidnapped by one person alone. The other thing I suspect is that, considering the late 80's in LA and the crack epidemic, I highly suspected drugs were a motive in the robbery. There are many stories of people being robbed and killed either to use the stolen money either directly for drugs or to pay off debt to some serious drug dealers. I know that's all conjecture, but when I look at this case and see all the pieces of the puzzle, its more than likely that was the case.
Jrad1988 is offline   Reply With Quote